“Sirenis Cocotal Family Vacation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Expedia.com CheapCaribbean
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #54 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Sirenis Cocotal Family Vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family of 18 (4 adult couples, 1 child, 8 18-21 year-olds, and my 80 year-old parents) traveled with Funjet vacations to the Sirenis Cocotal for a week over the New Year and stayed in eight double bed rooms in building B. They were kind enough to book us all in one building together, which was great with kids we wanted to keep an eye on. I understand this is the busiest time to travel and they had no vacancies. We even tried to book an extra room before we left and were told none were available. The rooms were adequate. Ours on the second floor had a slight odor when we arrived, but it seemed to go away after the AC ran for a while. We had absolutely no problems with our room, but some family members had standing water in showers and a non-working AC and ceiling fan. They finally addressed the AC after a couple days, and would come drain my parents shower every other day. Housekeeping did a great job on our room, but my family members were not as pleased. I would guess the hotel does not have enough towels for all guests when the hotel is full, because there were several unhappy guests according to what we heard. I would suggest one get clean beach towels at the end of the day showers if this seems to be a problem. You can exchange them the next day.

If you have a problem, I suggest YOU leave a handwritten note at the front desk.

We felt the food was quite good for buffet. All 18 of us ate at the Mexican and the Italian restaurants together and thought they were both very good. The biggest complaint from my family would have to be the difficulty in getting a cup of coffee during or after a meal. It was almost comical. The juices were fresh and amazing. The house wine was okay. The only beer is Presidente. The mixed drinks are as good as they can be for inexpensive liquor. Keep in mind the bartenders worked very hard to please us and help us find a cocktail we would like.

I felt like the service was very good. We take lots of $1 bills to show appreciation for good service. Now some people would say that they have paid for all-inclusive and that should be the end of it, but we see people working very hard while we enjoy ourselves at a place that most of them could never afford, so it seems a small thing to give people a few extra bucks to take home to their families if they have made our trip more enjoyable.

The waterpark was a lot of fun for all of us, but heed these warnings: the toilet bowl is rough and water shirts, glasses and jewelry were not allowed on the rides.

Most of the evening entertainment did not impress us, but honestly that is not why we were there. The casino is small, but the disco was a great time, especially for the younger crowd since it doesn't open until 11. (No minors allowed.) Great (loud) music!

The staff I saw working the kids club was great, but we didn't have any little ones with us.

There is a room safe (with key) for rent for $3/day with a $50 deposit.

We were not bothered by salespeople at all at the resort. We did book one snorkeling excursion to the nurse sharks/rays through Funjet. It was more like a booze cruise (rum, beer and soda), but costs about $90/person for a half day.

Again we were there at a very busy time of year, but the beach and pool chairs were all taken by 9 a.m. The pools are wonderful though. And the beach is nice sand and is walk-able for several minutes both directions, but you will be approached by beach vendors.

On a side note: if you are going to the Dominican Republic for scuba or snorkeling, then choose another location. There is little to see. But the mountains near Punta cana were remarkable and quite pretty.

A base knowledge of Spanish is helpful, especially at the bars, but be patient and they'll find someone to help you if not. Many of the staff members speak multiple languages.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi 1tip4u,
Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the beach, the pool, the water park and the service.
I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations regarding the rooms. We will definitely take your other comments into consideration in order to improve our services. The best thing when you have a problem in your room is to call the Hotline right away. If for some reason it hasn’t been fixed after 20-30 minutes, please don’t wait and talk to public relations so we can make sure your problem is fixed as fast as possible.
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or when you are planning a future trip here so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.

1,891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Okotoks, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sirenis Punta Cana Nov 20-Dec 6, 2013 Review

This is our first time to Sirenis PC, but we have experienced Grand Sirenis in Mexico, so at times I will make direct comparisons between the two. Also, be aware that we are Sirenis Premium Travelers, so will likely be providing comments on that as well.

After 15 hours in transit (including crossing 3 time-zones easterly), we got into the Punta Cana Airport at 3PM, and were transferred to the resort by HotelBeds. The transfer took approximately 35-40 minutes, on the new highway. I understand that the old route could take at least an hour. Check-in, for us, was handled at the Sirenis Premium Travelers (SPT) Lounge. It was handled quickly and we were taken to our room (Cocotal side, G204) by 4:15.

The Premium room had a king-sized bed, a mini-fridge, premium liquor selection, and free wall-safe. The safe was big enough to hold both our iPad and tablet. In comparison to the room quality at the Grand Sirenis, this certainly was not on par, however it was still spacious. The bed mattress did not sit on top of a box-spring, but simply a hard-board, so it was a hard sleep.

There are 7 bars (2 in the main building in the reception area, 1 by the theatre, 1 on the beach, 2 swim-up bars, and 1 by the Mexican (beach) restaurant). We spent the majority of our time at the "La Yola" (swim-up) bar, on the Cocotal pool side. A lot of other folks seemed to do the same, as it was usually pretty busy. At night, the Pergola and Pyramid bars (main building) were usually pretty busy, but were nice bars to wind down at, before heading back to the room to sleep.

The buffets were ok. The food choices were a lot less than at Grand Sirenis, but we never starved. There was always something for us to eat, although, by the end of 2 weeks, I was starting to get really tired of the lack of choices.

There are 7 A-la-Carte restaurants: Chinese (Jade), Italian (Cinecitta), Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum), Vegetarian (El Vergel), Gourmet (Giardinetto), Mexican (Nuevo Mexico), and Steakhouse (El Batey). Aside from El Vergel, we ate twice at each of the restaurants (only once at El Vergel), and only had one sub-par experience (El Batey, the first time). My wife's steak was not done well enough, and was too much grizzle. We took a chance on it the second time, and had no problems, so the first must have just been a bad cut. El Vergel was not open the first 2 weeks, hence only eating there once, but it was a wonderful meal, better than I expected, to be honest. I would gladly recommend ANY of them to anyone.

The entertainment staff seemed to be liked by all. We did not connect with them personally, at all, so I cannot provide any feedback on them. All of their day-time activities seemed to be activity related, which is NOT my forte, so we never got involved. If there was music trivia, I would have been all over it. The evening theatre shows were good, and for the most part, rotated on a two-week cycle. The only issue we had with the theatre was that there were large pillars supporting the roof, however, these would partially obstruct your vision of the stage if you were further back from about row 6.

The water-park was a five-minute walk up the driveway, and was quite fun. Keep in mind, that if you wear glasses, you will NOT be allowed to wear them while on these slides. They are VERY adamant about it too. 2 of the slides have a weight-restriction as well, so if you are over 220 lbs., you will not be able to ride these. The lunch buffet was actually quite good, almost better than the buffets in the main building. The kids water-pool area of the water-park looked to be quite a lot of fun ! I wished I was about 10 years old again …. it looked THAT cool !!!!

Back at the resort … The pool area is one LARGE pool, connected under the main boulevard bridge by a raised section. The difference with this pool complex is that from each end of the pool, it gradually deepens, to the point that the depth goes to well over 6 feet deep. So if you want to "swim", you can do so. I've not been to a lot of AIs, but this seems to be unique. You could really go for a nice long swim in this pool.

We walked the beach outside the resort, both to the north (almost to Excellence), and the south (almost to the new Breathless Resort). It is great to walk the powder-soft sand. Punta Cana has that over Grand Sirenis's natural inlet.

As for the people, I have to give honourable mention to the following individuals, who helped to make our vacation a good one:

Bartenders:
Charlie, Juan Julio, Julio, Jency, Argenus, Johnothan, Sergio (Pyramid), Lissander, Yaphreisy (SPT waitress). These folks always remembered us, smiled at us, treated us like friends, and made us feel special, and welcomed. If you see them in your future travels, please say hi from "Juan and Carolina"…

SPT personnel:
Perla and Lady always made sure that as SPT members, we had everything that we needed, and if we had issues, they were dealt with in very timely fashion.

Buffet (Macao) servers:
Ana and Kristian always had a table ready for us, and took great care of us… coffee, and juices and other beverages before our current ones were empty.

The grounds-keepers are constantly working to keep the landscaping in immaculate shape… always trimming, pruning, and shaping the bushes that line the main walk between the main building and the beach/pool area.

We only ran into one NEGATIVE during our stay, but it was not with the resort, and it lasted pretty much the entire duration. I am sure I am going to be seen as a grade-A "Snob" for the following, but it was the invasion of rude, ignorant, pushy, selfish and obnoxious Russian tourists. I do not want to paint them all with a broad brush, but this is what we had to put up with . It's likely a problem at ANY DR resort, as the DR seems to be heavily promoted to Russia. It seems November/December are the invasion months. I cannot remember seeing such an onslaught of self-absorbed individuals at an all-inclusive resort before. I did not see a lot of respect for the staff (or other tourists) from these people. There were lots of French and Spanish tourists, but we did not notice the same attitudes from them. We really liked the resort, but because of this, we likely will NOT return to Sirenis Punta Cana, at least not in November/December.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi isundby,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad you enjoyed almost everything about our resort. I will definitely take your comments into consideration for future improvements as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

As per the Russian market, I’m sorry to hear you had bad experiences with them. You came in a time of year very popular for them to visit Punta Cana.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future and I will do my best for you to spend a great vacation.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Upon our arrival we were so called upgraded to a jr. suite -- it came with company --- bed bugs!!!!!
The various hotel staff were informed about the bed bugs (that were visible) and even upon repeatedly complaining that the mattress had not been changed (I knew this as I attached a clip to the bug infested matresses) nothing was ever done!!!!!

The buffet rooms are like large cafeterias so be prepared to hear the clanking of plates and the loud drone of people talking!!!!

The entertainment was poor and unintersting as well.

Another man we ran into were also having difficulities with the hotel giving his room away because his plane arrived a day late (weather problems). Even though the hotel and plane had been booked and PAID for they would not give this gentleman a room. In essence they were now double dipping!!!!!

Do not go -- if you encounter any problems the staff and hotel will do nothing to help you. They play dumb or pretend they will take care of it and end up doing absolutely nothing!!!!!! Find a better hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi 627Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

As you your problems with the room, have you informed the public relations department or someone from management during your trip? I am surprised to hear nobody helped you because when we know about problems, we try to resolve them as fast as we can. We like to do our best to make our customers happy so they can have a great stay with us.

Please don’t hesitate to write me if you want to discuss your situation further at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com or if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend a great trip at our resort.

Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed from December 12-19. Upon arriving our room only had a double bed. Paid for 2 double beds. How do they expect 4 people to sleep in 1 bed. Thanks to our concierge yaxson after about 30 min he was able to find us a double room. Room was very outdated. Shower faucet was hanging from the wall. Lights burned out. Patio door lock broken. The pools and the garden areas are beautiful. Food was ok and the staff are very friendly. Don't get suckered into the special a la cart breakfast and gift from the concierge. He said it will only be 90min long. A rep from the VIP club met us at breakfast and tried repeatedly to sell us a VIP only membership. After he wasted our time and took away Waterpark time for the kids he wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally after 2hr we walked out on him. He was very pushy and made it sound like if you don't become a VIP then you won't get the same service. Oh well we made the best of our trip and had a wonderful time but we will not stay there again

Stayed December 2013
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for seven days over the Christmas holidays. All the staff were very nice.The grounds, pools and beach were great! Drinks were good... my wife and I got our money's worth a couple nights. In fact my liver still hurts lol.

The rooms however were not nice at all. Our room had a strong mold smell and the sheet and pillows smelt the same.My wife has washed our clothes several times since we got back and our clothing still smell bad.The bathtub didn't drain well, so u had to stand in your own dirty water. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you aren't picky with smells ext.

If you do end up going Salsarine, Giovanny and Wilson at the lobby bar will take good care of you. And another thing, learn a bit of Spanish if you are going here. It goes a long way. Don't be an ignorant first world d bag!

Cheers

• Stayed December 2013
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The place amazing, clean, amazing braches.

The pros: staff very friendly, food ok, loads of activities, beaches and ocean marvelous.
The cons: 5 star hotel and does not have a shuttle hus, and nowhere to go, everytime you leave hotel is usd 40 in a taxi one way. Another adversity is the qifi, Usd 50. / week and ONLY WORKS IN THE LOBBY¡

Room Tip: Choose full package, beware of cab drivers, the cheapest is usd 30, no wifi on your device.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Sirenis Tropical Suites Dec 16 - Dec 23 and spent Dec 24 in the airport because of the ice storm in Toronto. The hotel was okay. The grounds were beautiful and immaculately kept. The food was fine - not quite enough fried banana or plantain for my taste (but that is a very petty complaint). The displays of food in the a la cartes were magnificent, the fruit and vegetable sculptures especially. But that having been said, we didn't appreciate the food as much as we could have in the beginning of the week because one of our party picked up the Norwalk virus and shared it with the rest of us.

Our kids had lots of fun in the pools, especially playing on the pedestal that the mermaid sat on in the middle of the deep pool. Our 10 & 12 didn't use the kids club, so I can't comment on it - but the kids club put on a performance everynight that we droppped in to see occasionally.
They had a circus acrobat show one night after the kids club performance; it was very entertaining.

There was dancing at the beach which preceded the surf aerobics. Both were tons of fun and I picked up a bit of both German/French/Spanish and Russian (counting to four, anyway) as there were many, many Europeans there . . .

We enjoyed many afternoons at the water park. They wouldn't let us wear our swim shirts, but other people were allowed to wear them - so we went in the late afternoon to reduce the incidence of sunburn. My kids tried all of the slides, I wasn't as daring. They really enjoyed the yellow tube slide and the red enema/wedgie slide - the sharp drop on the same side as the toboggan slides. The kids banged their heads backs and heels and then dropped into the pool head first on the toilet bowl slide - be wary. The toboggan slide was great fun. There are a couple of special toboggans to use if you wish to glide all the way to the end (blue handled toboggans). With great skill I managed to bump the very end twice - once you try the slide you will see that it is truly a great feat!!!! With the other toboggans you might be lucky enough to slide all the way into the end yellow stripe - I did, once.

Our maid/housekeeper was excellent - I looked forward everyday to seeing what designs she would make with our linen. It was a really nice touch.

For the price we paid we got a great deal.

Room Tip: We stayed in B block which was far from the beach and pools, but close to the food/restaurants and a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!