“Good Resort, with one BAD part… Read on” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #74 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Okotoks, Canada
“Good Resort, with one BAD part… Read on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sirenis Punta Cana Nov 20-Dec 6, 2013 Review

This is our first time to Sirenis PC, but we have experienced Grand Sirenis in Mexico, so at times I will make direct comparisons between the two. Also, be aware that we are Sirenis Premium Travelers, so will likely be providing comments on that as well.

After 15 hours in transit (including crossing 3 time-zones easterly), we got into the Punta Cana Airport at 3PM, and were transferred to the resort by HotelBeds. The transfer took approximately 35-40 minutes, on the new highway. I understand that the old route could take at least an hour. Check-in, for us, was handled at the Sirenis Premium Travelers (SPT) Lounge. It was handled quickly and we were taken to our room (Cocotal side, G204) by 4:15.

The Premium room had a king-sized bed, a mini-fridge, premium liquor selection, and free wall-safe. The safe was big enough to hold both our iPad and tablet. In comparison to the room quality at the Grand Sirenis, this certainly was not on par, however it was still spacious. The bed mattress did not sit on top of a box-spring, but simply a hard-board, so it was a hard sleep.

There are 7 bars (2 in the main building in the reception area, 1 by the theatre, 1 on the beach, 2 swim-up bars, and 1 by the Mexican (beach) restaurant). We spent the majority of our time at the "La Yola" (swim-up) bar, on the Cocotal pool side. A lot of other folks seemed to do the same, as it was usually pretty busy. At night, the Pergola and Pyramid bars (main building) were usually pretty busy, but were nice bars to wind down at, before heading back to the room to sleep.

The buffets were ok. The food choices were a lot less than at Grand Sirenis, but we never starved. There was always something for us to eat, although, by the end of 2 weeks, I was starting to get really tired of the lack of choices.

There are 7 A-la-Carte restaurants: Chinese (Jade), Italian (Cinecitta), Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum), Vegetarian (El Vergel), Gourmet (Giardinetto), Mexican (Nuevo Mexico), and Steakhouse (El Batey). Aside from El Vergel, we ate twice at each of the restaurants (only once at El Vergel), and only had one sub-par experience (El Batey, the first time). My wife's steak was not done well enough, and was too much grizzle. We took a chance on it the second time, and had no problems, so the first must have just been a bad cut. El Vergel was not open the first 2 weeks, hence only eating there once, but it was a wonderful meal, better than I expected, to be honest. I would gladly recommend ANY of them to anyone.

The entertainment staff seemed to be liked by all. We did not connect with them personally, at all, so I cannot provide any feedback on them. All of their day-time activities seemed to be activity related, which is NOT my forte, so we never got involved. If there was music trivia, I would have been all over it. The evening theatre shows were good, and for the most part, rotated on a two-week cycle. The only issue we had with the theatre was that there were large pillars supporting the roof, however, these would partially obstruct your vision of the stage if you were further back from about row 6.

The water-park was a five-minute walk up the driveway, and was quite fun. Keep in mind, that if you wear glasses, you will NOT be allowed to wear them while on these slides. They are VERY adamant about it too. 2 of the slides have a weight-restriction as well, so if you are over 220 lbs., you will not be able to ride these. The lunch buffet was actually quite good, almost better than the buffets in the main building. The kids water-pool area of the water-park looked to be quite a lot of fun ! I wished I was about 10 years old again …. it looked THAT cool !!!!

Back at the resort … The pool area is one LARGE pool, connected under the main boulevard bridge by a raised section. The difference with this pool complex is that from each end of the pool, it gradually deepens, to the point that the depth goes to well over 6 feet deep. So if you want to "swim", you can do so. I've not been to a lot of AIs, but this seems to be unique. You could really go for a nice long swim in this pool.

We walked the beach outside the resort, both to the north (almost to Excellence), and the south (almost to the new Breathless Resort). It is great to walk the powder-soft sand. Punta Cana has that over Grand Sirenis's natural inlet.

As for the people, I have to give honourable mention to the following individuals, who helped to make our vacation a good one:

Bartenders:
Charlie, Juan Julio, Julio, Jency, Argenus, Johnothan, Sergio (Pyramid), Lissander, Yaphreisy (SPT waitress). These folks always remembered us, smiled at us, treated us like friends, and made us feel special, and welcomed. If you see them in your future travels, please say hi from "Juan and Carolina"…

SPT personnel:
Perla and Lady always made sure that as SPT members, we had everything that we needed, and if we had issues, they were dealt with in very timely fashion.

Buffet (Macao) servers:
Ana and Kristian always had a table ready for us, and took great care of us… coffee, and juices and other beverages before our current ones were empty.

The grounds-keepers are constantly working to keep the landscaping in immaculate shape… always trimming, pruning, and shaping the bushes that line the main walk between the main building and the beach/pool area.

We only ran into one NEGATIVE during our stay, but it was not with the resort, and it lasted pretty much the entire duration. I am sure I am going to be seen as a grade-A "Snob" for the following, but it was the invasion of rude, ignorant, pushy, selfish and obnoxious Russian tourists. I do not want to paint them all with a broad brush, but this is what we had to put up with . It's likely a problem at ANY DR resort, as the DR seems to be heavily promoted to Russia. It seems November/December are the invasion months. I cannot remember seeing such an onslaught of self-absorbed individuals at an all-inclusive resort before. I did not see a lot of respect for the staff (or other tourists) from these people. There were lots of French and Spanish tourists, but we did not notice the same attitudes from them. We really liked the resort, but because of this, we likely will NOT return to Sirenis Punta Cana, at least not in November/December.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank isundby
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi isundby,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad you enjoyed almost everything about our resort. I will definitely take your comments into consideration for future improvements as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

As per the Russian market, I’m sorry to hear you had bad experiences with them. You came in a time of year very popular for them to visit Punta Cana.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future and I will do my best for you to spend a great vacation.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed for two weeks, Dec/14-28 2013 overall I would give this resort a thumbs up! excellent service very friendly staff ,food was okay lots of variety I have had better, my wife and I have travelled many times to the DR and to Mexico, Cuba. the only thing my wife and I didn't like was this constant harassment by the time share people they are like bandits constantly bothering you to come for a special breakfast and they don't take no for an answer , you really have to stand your ground and eventually they will stop! it was so bad we took a different route to get to the beach and pool which were beautiful, the workers are constantly cleaning and maintaining the grounds fantastic job! I would recommend this resort very nice , very family oriented , we met a lot of people from all over the World some were friendly some were not , there are a lot of Canadians that vacation here so you will always meet people from Canada . I did get bitten a bit so you might want to bring some bug spray with you, the bus ride was very pleasant to and from the airport , the Punta Cana airport when we were leaving was very very busy long line ups be prepared for a long wait in line, overall a very pleasant enjoyable vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "F" section and it was central to everything close enough to the lobby an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eric358
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi Eric358,

Thank you for sharing your great reviews about our staff and your memorable vacation at our resort. We work so hard to make a memorable experience for our clients that it’s nice to hear that our team’s hard work pays off.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend another amazing trip.

Langenburg, sk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Our family of 18 spent a week at this resort and were happy with our holiday. Greeted with a cold drink, so needed, our rooms were in need of updating, but very comfortable, lots of room. Our maid, Mary was excellent, terrific service. Our only problem was the inability of so many of the staff not specking English, we often had times we just couldn't understand each other.
The beach, we claimed the log as home each day, is so beautiful. Drinks good, always clean, activities for those who wanted to participate. We nightly met in the lobby, putting couches together, and never had any problems. Great time for all of us! We found the steak house the best food, but we are Canadians!

Room Tip: We had h108, enjoyed the balcony, could people watch, and find family members. A little noisy New...
2 Thank Olive W
Hi Olive W,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m happy to see you and your family had an amazing holiday with us.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com for anything you might need in a future stay. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Sirenis Family.

Vandalia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great resort. Would recommend to everyone. I would suggest that you sign up for the activities there because there is not too much to do on the resort, although they do have a great pool, beach, and a water park. The staff is all very friendly, but some of them do not speak English. The food was hit and miss. Make sure to sign up for reservations at the good restaurants and you should be fine.

Room Tip: Stayed in Q block and it was great
2 Thank Joshua P
Hi Joshua P,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your holiday experience with us. It’s a pleasure to hear that you had a lovely holiday at our resort.

I invite you to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com when you are planning your next vacation at our resort so I can ensure you spend another great vacation.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Loved this resort! Great place for families traveling together. Great service that goes above and beyond and if you are vegetarian Darling is a great person to have around! He is very accommodating and very sweet! You can run out of activities to do at the resort but I would recommend taking the Buggy excursion that goes through mud puddles and leads you to a gorgeous beach! Overall a great vacation!!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in the tropical side and loved it! Get higher floors to have less mosquitoes.
2 Thank Jasmine P
Hi Jasmine P,

I’m very glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m happy to see you took the time to share your comments. I will definitely pass on your great review to Darling, as he will be happy to see his hard work pays off.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you decide to come back in the future and I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Upon our arrival we were so called upgraded to a jr. suite -- it came with company --- bed bugs!!!!!
The various hotel staff were informed about the bed bugs (that were visible) and even upon repeatedly complaining that the mattress had not been changed (I knew this as I attached a clip to the bug infested matresses) nothing was ever done!!!!!

The buffet rooms are like large cafeterias so be prepared to hear the clanking of plates and the loud drone of people talking!!!!

The entertainment was poor and unintersting as well.

Another man we ran into were also having difficulities with the hotel giving his room away because his plane arrived a day late (weather problems). Even though the hotel and plane had been booked and PAID for they would not give this gentleman a room. In essence they were now double dipping!!!!!

Do not go -- if you encounter any problems the staff and hotel will do nothing to help you. They play dumb or pretend they will take care of it and end up doing absolutely nothing!!!!!! Find a better hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank 627Donna
Hi 627Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

As you your problems with the room, have you informed the public relations department or someone from management during your trip? I am surprised to hear nobody helped you because when we know about problems, we try to resolve them as fast as we can. We like to do our best to make our customers happy so they can have a great stay with us.

Please don’t hesitate to write me if you want to discuss your situation further at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com or if you decide to come back in the future in order to ensure you spend a great trip at our resort.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

this was our second trip to Sirenis We were concerned before leaving , reading some of the negative reviews, but I know you can't always please everyone. But out concerns were vanished as soon as we got to the hotel , We were in and out of the registration within 5 minutes, Our room was clean and cool, The service we got from the staff was so good, we were treated like family
The best restaurant we went too was Jade, Excellent food great show , and again great service
The only issues we had was other guests being so rude and pushy,
We plan to make Sirenis an annual trip for late November,
Well done Sirenis
Topping this trip was our last night having a lobster dinner on the beach , well worth the price

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends