“Great time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“Great time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Me and my husband went to Sirenis Cocotal Punta Cana on our honeymoon in mid April 2013.
On European Standards, it does not worth more than 3 stars from my point of view.
We stayed in Madrid in a 3 starts Hotel which was luxuriant compared to this.

MOST IMPORTANT: Get a Safe the first moment you get there!! Someone stole some money from my bag the first day we arrived .. I never got it back...

Tips:
- You must definitely go to different trips outside the resort, you cannot miss the fun and the views you will see.
The carribean is great and we really loved the views, the sea which is hot all the time even at night, and the air.
- If you are a person which goes there to enjoy nature and relax, the place is great as it is outside the busy Punta Cana city.
- Very romantic beaches where you can have long walks.

Others:
- The weather was great!! it just rained for about 15 minutes in 2 different days, but the sun came out instantly after that and the weather was hot all day.
- Buy lots of sunscreen from home as there is very expensive.
- The place was not very crouded at that point as I believe it can be called "end of high season time" which was great. We did not have to go to reserve seats at the pool at 6 in the morning. You could find them free even after breakfast.
- We used to wake up very early, before sunrise every day, because of the time difference with Europe, but we enjoyed every sunrise either from the bed or from the beach which was great at that time.
- The rooms were not too nice, you can espect to find small bugs here and there but it is because of the tropical climate, it is normal I guess. You get used to them after a while :)) .
- The food is acceptable, we did not have any problems while we stayed there. The variety is big so you can choose what to eat, and it can be something else every day.
- The staff was ok, we did not have issues with them. We could speak a bit of spanish too, but we were susprised to see most of them spoke English/French/German/Russian and other languages too.
- The shows every night and disco were great.

We could return to this resort but knowing that high hopes are not going to be fulfilled from accomodation point of view.

Room Tip: I guess the rooms in Tropical Suites are better than the ones in Cocotal area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Copley, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I will definitely not return. My 4 major complaints are the staff, the food safety standards, the condition of the rooms, and lack of air conditioning in the indoor common areas.

We had some situations when the staff seemed rude and/or incompetent, possibly due to (English) language barriers. Ask a question; be prepared to wait for an answer while staff chatters away lengthily (in Spanish of course) on walkie talkies and cell phones. The employee that made arrangements for transfer back to the airport quoted us an incorrect rate. Expect to pay $70, we were told $60.

The outdoor eating area near the pool/beach is the worst. Flies are all over the food, birds eat off of leftovers on the tables and even off the serving buffet. Bird droppings are all over the chairs and floor. Not once did we see a placemat or table top wiped off. Nothing (except the ice cream) is kept cold or on ice. We avoided the grill near the beach/pool which had non-refrigerated containers of raw chicken and beef sitting out in the heat. We could have eaten lunch at the restaurant near the lobby, but it is a LONG walk from the beach/pool area.

The room appeared to not be clean when we arrived. The maid did a more thorough cleaning when requested, but it may be that the quality of the construction/craftsmanship is part of the issue. In our room, O 003, it looked like repairs in the bathroom had been made with chewed up gum. The pillows on the bed are very small; the pillow cases are even smaller. Bring your own pillow cases if you are disturbed by sleeping on pillows others have used. I left a note asking the maid for additional pillows our first night, and a tip. The pillows never came. Little things were annoying, like stained lampshades, dirty curtains, sheets that were too short to cover the mattress box springs and came untucked while sleeping, paper thin towels, and no washcloths.

The lobby, bar area and the night-time show theater are open air and not air conditioned. It is uncomfortably warm.

Good things – the pool and beach are nice (although the water is not Caribbean blue and the sand is not white). The bar in the front lobby serves top shelf liquor if you ask. Trying Mamajuana (Dominican alcoholic beverage) was a pleasant experience. The vacation club salesperson was professional. Listening to their sales pitch was not unpleasant for us and saved us a lot of money. The food and service in the specialty restaurants was really good.

I prefer a more Americanized resort, although we loved Cancun.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chipping Ongar, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is my first review for trip advisor and after visiting the Sirenis i felt like i really needed to express the good and bad. We stayed from 5th-16th November. Transfer from airport to hotel took about 30mins so no grumbles there. On arrival our room had been upgraded and we had use of the alcarte restaurants as many times as we like. This was good first impression but looking back now clear why they were doing this.

The hotel is lovely, really nice big pool with two pool bars. For the Caribbean a very average beach, certainly not how it looks in photos. Rooms were nice, big bed and clean, would certainly not class our room a 'suite' though.

The alcarte restaurants were good and especially the gourmet restaurant, however we did experience slow service and on two occasions not even being offered a drink during the whole time of being in the Italian restaurant. As for the buffet restaurants myself and my partner found it difficult to eat anything. It was all the same food every day which was extremely bland, boring and undercooked. This was the same every day across breakfast, lunch and dinner! Avoid the beach BBQ as the only two days we tried it the chicken, sausages and burgers were totally raw, to the point were my plate was full of blood after cutting the burger in half. I'm not surprised that we spent half our holiday on the toilet instead of enjoying the sun.

Staff were unbelievably rude! We have traveled all around the Caribbean and the people are always so welcoming and hotel staff are normally so polite and helpful offering great service - certainly NOT here. I honestly couldn't believe how blunt and rude the staff are here, you would order a drink and the bar tenders cant even crack a smile. You would honestly see better manors and service in McDonald's.

Watch out for the guest services staff who you book the restaurants with - they will pester you during your entire holiday to go to a special 'breakfast' to buy a time share. Think they need to learn that no means no. We really didn't appreciate the constant life stories every night trying to make you feel guilty, the daily phone calls and on three occasions them knocking on our room door. This was also the same in the daytime around the pool, constant pestering from people to try to get you to go on excursions, i really don't know why the hotel allow these people to do this? Everyone has their holiday rep in the hotel so why on earth wouldn't you book a trip through them. I know in the Caribbean its very common to have locals pestering you to do things or asking for money but to have this in the actual hotel resort is beyond me!

Overall the hotel features are nice but the food and staff let it down. Comparing to other hotels in Punta Cana and the Caribbean this really doesn't cut it. Its obviously clear the hotel have had some issues hence why we were upgraded at the start but this obviously hasn't helped as Thomson have down graded the hotel to a 3 star plus and now i can totally see why.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two and half weeks in February for silver wedding anniversary. Had a great time. Had the chance to take a day trip to wale watching. Two main restaurants and five themen restaurants with an exelent choice of food. (must be booked one day in advance to get a seat). The chance to get fresh coconut (with or without alcohol), every day.

• Stayed February 2013
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Sirenis Cocotal in Punta Cana is a very nice 4-star resort. They claim to be 5 star, but it is definitely more along the lines of a 4 star. The grounds are immaculate, the staff is friendly, and the rooms are spacious and decorated decently (not drab or dated, but not luxurious either). They have multiple a-la-carte restaurants that I definitely recommend you try, because chances are you will get sick of the buffet food. The buffet food itself is somewhat varied, but a little bland, and the desserts definitely need some work - don't expect large fancy cakes. The fruit selection is decent and presented nicely. Breakfast is OK, but I recommend you get your eggs cooked from scratch so you can have them the way you want. The fruit smoothies are delicious. As for the alcoholic beverages, the bartenders serve a LOT of people on a constant basis, so don't expect the drinks to be made to perfection. In all honesty, they are somewhat of a disappointment, being either too sweet or too watery, and as far as I know they only serve 1 type of beer (Presidente) which is OK, but a bigger selection would be nice. The house wine they serve with dinner was also a disappointment...WAY too sweet and tastes more like a dessert wine. Thankfully I was able to order and pay for an imported wine which was totally worth the extra cost.

The beach at this resort is beautiful, but not exactly what I expected. I was sort of hoping to see crystal clear, light-blue water, but it turned out to be murky (because of a storm apparently) and more on the darker side. I highly recommend the excursion to Saona island if you want true paradise with idyllic blue beaches and white sand, but be prepared for a LONG 2-hour bus ride and then another 1-hour catamaran ride to the island. It was a nice diversion though from resort life!

This resort also has a newly-opened waterpark on-site, which is impressive for the region, but it has a refurbished feel to it, and some of the slides appear unsafe (i.e. they wobble quite a bit). Again, a fun diversion, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost involved.

I also wanted to mention that there are many vendors on the main walkway to the beach, and almost every time you walk down it you are stopped and asked to buy something. I know this is a business for them, but sometimes it is a disturbance when you are simply looking to relax and enjoy your walk. They have their booths setup so that you are forced to walk past them, and then you are pressured to buy something. Perhaps there should be a "clear" alternate walkway to the beach and to the lobby. This is very common in the caribbean, but it is sometimes frustrating.

All in all, I have to say I recommend this resort to anybody looking for a good all-inclusive vacation to a warm destination. The locals are friendly, the culture is great, and the resort itself is a good value for the money. It definitely has a large upscale feel to it, but is not without flaws. As long as you don't expect perfection, you will have a great time.

Room Tip: It is a large resort, so the walk to the beach can be far depending on your room location. Ask to be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I usually do not write reviews for resorts but I do find it interesting to read what some travelers have to say about a particular resort that I might have been to and in the case of the Sirenis Cocotal I feel the need to write one to set a few things straight.

First off, lets discuss the star ratings of resorts in the Dominican Republic, particularly in Punta Cana. So many people b&^%h, moan, whine and complain that they paid for a 5 star resort and feel like it was a 1 star experience. If these whiners actually think they are going to get a 5 star experience by US standards for 8 days 7 nights for around 850 a week all inclusive at the Sirenis, then they are either non-seasoned travelers or they live their daily lives in fantasy land. Is this resort 5 stars by US standards, no, but if you actually took the time to absorb the caribbean experience, learn the culture, truly get to know the people and visit the real country then you will understand that this resort is 5 stars by Dominican standards. This is still very much a 3rd world country and if you actually understood this you would understand how good the experience at this resort actually is!

Next, heres another point that absolutely boils my blood! So many people complain about no one at the resort speaking english and that the staff should speak english. Hello folks, wake up and smell the coffee and pull your head out of you a^&, you are in a SPANISH speaking country, make a little effort to speak a little spanish and you will get the same respect in return from the workers. Its a funny thing, I have been to Punta Cana 17 times and 7 times at the Sirenis and NEVER one time have I ever had a problem getting something I needed. Sure, you run into the occasional worker that can speak 0 words of english and what you might need, you do not know how to explain in spanish but what you will find at this resort is if you run into this situation the worker will bring someone back to you to resolve your issue that does understand. In this day and age folks, technology is a wonderful thing, use your darn phones or tablets with an english to spanish translation app and hello, guess what you can communicate and the workers will very much appreciate it!

Now lets talk about the supposed lack of service that people complain about. Sure, you might run into the occasional worker that isnt completely "on" that day but guess what folks, they are human beings and are allowed to have an off day every now and then. Slow service in the buffet in regards to getting drinks? Are you serious?! I have NEVER seen this issue before and as a matter of fact there has been times where after eating my dinner that I felt like my bladder was going to explode because of all the water, soda, wine, beer, etc. that numerous workers would bring. Sure there may be a little barrier in understanding about a mixed drink you might want and you might get the occasional daquiri when you order a margarita, but SO WHAT, chill the heck out, down the drink and enjoy the night, you are on vacation.

Workers being rude? Ok, this one leaves me perplexed! People complain that workers are rude when they ask for something, the workers walk away and dont come back. Well let me translate this situation for you. I have seen this dozens of times a trip where an english speaking person will have this sense of entitlement attitude that they are better than everylone, and when they ask a worker for something it is done in such a condescending tone that even though the worker may not fully understand do you think they are really going to get someone for you who does when you treat them this way? I have seen people act like because they "have money" that these workers should kiss their a&& and actually snap their fingers at them like they are dogs. Treat people with disrespect and you will get disrespect back! I know thats a tough concept for complainers to understand!

The service it what keeps me coming back to this resort and heres why. Two trips ago to the Sirenis in Nov 2012, I had been on the beach one day and asked one of the bar tenders if they had lemonade. It was apparent he did not understand what I wanted so Juan Carlos disappeared for a while and came back with the resorts bar manager, Daniel, and Daniel asked what my request was. I explained to him that I wanted to know if they had lemonade and he understood and stated that they did not. Daniel in turn explained this to Juan Carlos. Fast foward...next day at the pool, Juan Carlos spots me and what do you think he does? He brings a huge gallon jug of lemonade to me to mix with vodka. You might ask, I thought they didnt have lemonada, they dont but when he got off the day before he went to a shop outside the resort and purchased some Countrytime Lemonade with his own money and brought it to work with him the next day! And up to this point I had not yet tipped him so he wasnt just doing it for the money, he was doing it because he understands what good service is. And people want to complain about poor service at this place?! Unreal!!!!!!!

People complain about the slow service at the lobby bars and pool bars. Ok folks, if you sit there with a pissy attitude interuppting them and being rude, of course you will get slow service. Go to a bar in the US, snap your fingers at the bartender and wave money in their face and see where that gets you. Weak drinks? Yes numerous travelers complain about this. There have been many nights at the Sirenis lobby bar where I didnt know what country I was in, couldnt find my room if you had paid me to and woke up hours later passed out somewhere! Now I can take my liquor and this happens to me from the drinks here so I dont get what people are complaining about. Just to name a few bar tenders in the lobby...Palaco, Jimmy, Salserin, Daniel, Jimmeny, Conchita, Fedor...these guys are top notch bar tenders. Every one of them imemdiately knows my drink when I sit down...now why is this.....hmmmmmmmm...maybe about the mutual respect thing...just a thought! Slow service at the pool bars? what a crock of dog excrement! Two bartenders usually work each pool bar and there are anywhere from 100-150 guests at a time in the pool area where the bar is so of course there will be a slight delay but these guys enjoy their job, just show them some respect and patience and you will have one hell of a buzz before you know it. For example, charlie at the Cocotal pool bar...fantastic worker...Ive seen him run the bar by himself during high season and I never wait more than a couple of minutes for a drink. Ask Charlie to make you a "TUCAN"...its a specialty drink he came up with...it wont disappoint!

Complaints about housekeeping? Sure, some days these ladies might not get around to your room till later in the afternoon but usually one woman has the responsibility for two buildings with 24 rooms in each..so naturally it will take some time. So what if you get back to your room and they are cleaning, pop open a beer, share a drink with them and RELAX! My room each and every day has been clean and smelling fresh with a slight hint of bleach so its obvious they are cleaning! Throw them a few bucks each day and your room will be so clean you could eat a steak off the floor!

Complaints about the food. Is the food here going to be confused with a fine dining rest in an upscale section of Manhattan, NY...no but what you will get is a wide variety, fresh, and an abundance of everything. If you cant find something to eat here than you cant be pleased. In fact, I have eaten at the steak rest here a few times where after the meal I thought how ashamed an Outback Steakhouse should be with their product compared to the meal I just ate! Rude wait staff in the buffets? Youre nuts....for example...Anna in the cocotal buffet is an absolute gem! Will do anything for you. Nothing better than breakfast when "coffee boy" is working...he will surely bring you out of your hangover.

So folks I could go one for 10 more paragraphs but I hope you get the point of my ramblings...you are on vacation, have realistic expectations, relax, enjoy, brush up on spanish a bit, and treat these workers like you would want to be treated and you will be back for you 8th time like I will be in 63 days!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room in building K on the Cocotal side...stunning views!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

After reading the previous reviews, I felt I needed to add my comments.
I stayed at this resort end of Oct -Nov. 2013.
Let me start off by saying I was Amazed that my renovated room consisted of:
2 broken matressess, meaning that the support frame of the matresses were shot, causing you to do a balancing act while you try and sleep.
Amazed how musty the sheets and closet were. Enough so, that even after washing my clothes, once I got home, my clothes still linger with that smell.
Disgusted when I pulled back the drape liner and found it coated with mold.
Amazed how housekeeping cleaned my toilet and even left the sanitized strip across my toilet.....only to find me holding the broken toilet seat in my hand when I went to remove the strip. By the 3rd attempted repair, I decided to live with it for the week, and add that to my balancing act also.
Amazed how a resort with so many unsupervised children, fails to have at least one lifeguard.
Disgusted how the children were allowed to jump off the fountains, bridge and pier posts. Even more disgusted to see a mother quickly carrying her small child out of the pool because the child was having a bowel movement. Most disgusted of all was the fact that there is no lifeguard to monitor the safety and cleanliness of the water quality. There were several infants with diapers in the pool.
Amazed that I nearly had to beg for water and disgusted that I actually received none on my 2nd last day there. Nor did I receive towels on my final day...so I got to smell like a wet dish rag for the plane ride home,.....in all honesty.....I didn't even care....I just wanted to get out of that resort.
Amazed how the front desk greets you so nicely, knowing they have your money, and after that...a whole new attitude sets in.
The guests, mainly Russians, are disgustingly rude. They were the majority of guests at this resort.
The staff, except for a very few, were unfriendly.
The happiest people were the groundskeepers, when they would come by your patio and mooch cigarettes from you.
I do not plan on going back to this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!