“Great place to spend hunymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #59 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
“Great place to spend hunymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two and half weeks in February for silver wedding anniversary. Had a great time. Had the chance to take a day trip to wale watching. Two main restaurants and five themen restaurants with an exelent choice of food. (must be booked one day in advance to get a seat). The chance to get fresh coconut (with or without alcohol), every day.

• Stayed February 2013

2,068 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Sirenis Cocotal in Punta Cana is a very nice 4-star resort. They claim to be 5 star, but it is definitely more along the lines of a 4 star. The grounds are immaculate, the staff is friendly, and the rooms are spacious and decorated decently (not drab or dated, but not luxurious either). They have multiple a-la-carte restaurants that I definitely recommend you try, because chances are you will get sick of the buffet food. The buffet food itself is somewhat varied, but a little bland, and the desserts definitely need some work - don't expect large fancy cakes. The fruit selection is decent and presented nicely. Breakfast is OK, but I recommend you get your eggs cooked from scratch so you can have them the way you want. The fruit smoothies are delicious. As for the alcoholic beverages, the bartenders serve a LOT of people on a constant basis, so don't expect the drinks to be made to perfection. In all honesty, they are somewhat of a disappointment, being either too sweet or too watery, and as far as I know they only serve 1 type of beer (Presidente) which is OK, but a bigger selection would be nice. The house wine they serve with dinner was also a disappointment...WAY too sweet and tastes more like a dessert wine. Thankfully I was able to order and pay for an imported wine which was totally worth the extra cost.

The beach at this resort is beautiful, but not exactly what I expected. I was sort of hoping to see crystal clear, light-blue water, but it turned out to be murky (because of a storm apparently) and more on the darker side. I highly recommend the excursion to Saona island if you want true paradise with idyllic blue beaches and white sand, but be prepared for a LONG 2-hour bus ride and then another 1-hour catamaran ride to the island. It was a nice diversion though from resort life!

This resort also has a newly-opened waterpark on-site, which is impressive for the region, but it has a refurbished feel to it, and some of the slides appear unsafe (i.e. they wobble quite a bit). Again, a fun diversion, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost involved.

I also wanted to mention that there are many vendors on the main walkway to the beach, and almost every time you walk down it you are stopped and asked to buy something. I know this is a business for them, but sometimes it is a disturbance when you are simply looking to relax and enjoy your walk. They have their booths setup so that you are forced to walk past them, and then you are pressured to buy something. Perhaps there should be a "clear" alternate walkway to the beach and to the lobby. This is very common in the caribbean, but it is sometimes frustrating.

All in all, I have to say I recommend this resort to anybody looking for a good all-inclusive vacation to a warm destination. The locals are friendly, the culture is great, and the resort itself is a good value for the money. It definitely has a large upscale feel to it, but is not without flaws. As long as you don't expect perfection, you will have a great time.

Room Tip: It is a large resort, so the walk to the beach can be far depending on your room location. Ask to be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I usually do not write reviews for resorts but I do find it interesting to read what some travelers have to say about a particular resort that I might have been to and in the case of the Sirenis Cocotal I feel the need to write one to set a few things straight.

First off, lets discuss the star ratings of resorts in the Dominican Republic, particularly in Punta Cana. So many people b&^%h, moan, whine and complain that they paid for a 5 star resort and feel like it was a 1 star experience. If these whiners actually think they are going to get a 5 star experience by US standards for 8 days 7 nights for around 850 a week all inclusive at the Sirenis, then they are either non-seasoned travelers or they live their daily lives in fantasy land. Is this resort 5 stars by US standards, no, but if you actually took the time to absorb the caribbean experience, learn the culture, truly get to know the people and visit the real country then you will understand that this resort is 5 stars by Dominican standards. This is still very much a 3rd world country and if you actually understood this you would understand how good the experience at this resort actually is!

Next, heres another point that absolutely boils my blood! So many people complain about no one at the resort speaking english and that the staff should speak english. Hello folks, wake up and smell the coffee and pull your head out of you a^&, you are in a SPANISH speaking country, make a little effort to speak a little spanish and you will get the same respect in return from the workers. Its a funny thing, I have been to Punta Cana 17 times and 7 times at the Sirenis and NEVER one time have I ever had a problem getting something I needed. Sure, you run into the occasional worker that can speak 0 words of english and what you might need, you do not know how to explain in spanish but what you will find at this resort is if you run into this situation the worker will bring someone back to you to resolve your issue that does understand. In this day and age folks, technology is a wonderful thing, use your darn phones or tablets with an english to spanish translation app and hello, guess what you can communicate and the workers will very much appreciate it!

Now lets talk about the supposed lack of service that people complain about. Sure, you might run into the occasional worker that isnt completely "on" that day but guess what folks, they are human beings and are allowed to have an off day every now and then. Slow service in the buffet in regards to getting drinks? Are you serious?! I have NEVER seen this issue before and as a matter of fact there has been times where after eating my dinner that I felt like my bladder was going to explode because of all the water, soda, wine, beer, etc. that numerous workers would bring. Sure there may be a little barrier in understanding about a mixed drink you might want and you might get the occasional daquiri when you order a margarita, but SO WHAT, chill the heck out, down the drink and enjoy the night, you are on vacation.

Workers being rude? Ok, this one leaves me perplexed! People complain that workers are rude when they ask for something, the workers walk away and dont come back. Well let me translate this situation for you. I have seen this dozens of times a trip where an english speaking person will have this sense of entitlement attitude that they are better than everylone, and when they ask a worker for something it is done in such a condescending tone that even though the worker may not fully understand do you think they are really going to get someone for you who does when you treat them this way? I have seen people act like because they "have money" that these workers should kiss their a&& and actually snap their fingers at them like they are dogs. Treat people with disrespect and you will get disrespect back! I know thats a tough concept for complainers to understand!

The service it what keeps me coming back to this resort and heres why. Two trips ago to the Sirenis in Nov 2012, I had been on the beach one day and asked one of the bar tenders if they had lemonade. It was apparent he did not understand what I wanted so Juan Carlos disappeared for a while and came back with the resorts bar manager, Daniel, and Daniel asked what my request was. I explained to him that I wanted to know if they had lemonade and he understood and stated that they did not. Daniel in turn explained this to Juan Carlos. Fast foward...next day at the pool, Juan Carlos spots me and what do you think he does? He brings a huge gallon jug of lemonade to me to mix with vodka. You might ask, I thought they didnt have lemonada, they dont but when he got off the day before he went to a shop outside the resort and purchased some Countrytime Lemonade with his own money and brought it to work with him the next day! And up to this point I had not yet tipped him so he wasnt just doing it for the money, he was doing it because he understands what good service is. And people want to complain about poor service at this place?! Unreal!!!!!!!

People complain about the slow service at the lobby bars and pool bars. Ok folks, if you sit there with a pissy attitude interuppting them and being rude, of course you will get slow service. Go to a bar in the US, snap your fingers at the bartender and wave money in their face and see where that gets you. Weak drinks? Yes numerous travelers complain about this. There have been many nights at the Sirenis lobby bar where I didnt know what country I was in, couldnt find my room if you had paid me to and woke up hours later passed out somewhere! Now I can take my liquor and this happens to me from the drinks here so I dont get what people are complaining about. Just to name a few bar tenders in the lobby...Palaco, Jimmy, Salserin, Daniel, Jimmeny, Conchita, Fedor...these guys are top notch bar tenders. Every one of them imemdiately knows my drink when I sit down...now why is this.....hmmmmmmmm...maybe about the mutual respect thing...just a thought! Slow service at the pool bars? what a crock of dog excrement! Two bartenders usually work each pool bar and there are anywhere from 100-150 guests at a time in the pool area where the bar is so of course there will be a slight delay but these guys enjoy their job, just show them some respect and patience and you will have one hell of a buzz before you know it. For example, charlie at the Cocotal pool bar...fantastic worker...Ive seen him run the bar by himself during high season and I never wait more than a couple of minutes for a drink. Ask Charlie to make you a "TUCAN"...its a specialty drink he came up with...it wont disappoint!

Complaints about housekeeping? Sure, some days these ladies might not get around to your room till later in the afternoon but usually one woman has the responsibility for two buildings with 24 rooms in each..so naturally it will take some time. So what if you get back to your room and they are cleaning, pop open a beer, share a drink with them and RELAX! My room each and every day has been clean and smelling fresh with a slight hint of bleach so its obvious they are cleaning! Throw them a few bucks each day and your room will be so clean you could eat a steak off the floor!

Complaints about the food. Is the food here going to be confused with a fine dining rest in an upscale section of Manhattan, NY...no but what you will get is a wide variety, fresh, and an abundance of everything. If you cant find something to eat here than you cant be pleased. In fact, I have eaten at the steak rest here a few times where after the meal I thought how ashamed an Outback Steakhouse should be with their product compared to the meal I just ate! Rude wait staff in the buffets? Youre nuts....for example...Anna in the cocotal buffet is an absolute gem! Will do anything for you. Nothing better than breakfast when "coffee boy" is working...he will surely bring you out of your hangover.

So folks I could go one for 10 more paragraphs but I hope you get the point of my ramblings...you are on vacation, have realistic expectations, relax, enjoy, brush up on spanish a bit, and treat these workers like you would want to be treated and you will be back for you 8th time like I will be in 63 days!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room in building K on the Cocotal side...stunning views!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

After reading the previous reviews, I felt I needed to add my comments.
I stayed at this resort end of Oct -Nov. 2013.
Let me start off by saying I was Amazed that my renovated room consisted of:
2 broken matressess, meaning that the support frame of the matresses were shot, causing you to do a balancing act while you try and sleep.
Amazed how musty the sheets and closet were. Enough so, that even after washing my clothes, once I got home, my clothes still linger with that smell.
Disgusted when I pulled back the drape liner and found it coated with mold.
Amazed how housekeeping cleaned my toilet and even left the sanitized strip across my toilet.....only to find me holding the broken toilet seat in my hand when I went to remove the strip. By the 3rd attempted repair, I decided to live with it for the week, and add that to my balancing act also.
Amazed how a resort with so many unsupervised children, fails to have at least one lifeguard.
Disgusted how the children were allowed to jump off the fountains, bridge and pier posts. Even more disgusted to see a mother quickly carrying her small child out of the pool because the child was having a bowel movement. Most disgusted of all was the fact that there is no lifeguard to monitor the safety and cleanliness of the water quality. There were several infants with diapers in the pool.
Amazed that I nearly had to beg for water and disgusted that I actually received none on my 2nd last day there. Nor did I receive towels on my final day...so I got to smell like a wet dish rag for the plane ride home,.....in all honesty.....I didn't even care....I just wanted to get out of that resort.
Amazed how the front desk greets you so nicely, knowing they have your money, and after that...a whole new attitude sets in.
The guests, mainly Russians, are disgustingly rude. They were the majority of guests at this resort.
The staff, except for a very few, were unfriendly.
The happiest people were the groundskeepers, when they would come by your patio and mooch cigarettes from you.
I do not plan on going back to this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is my first time ever writing a review on Trip Advisor. After the week we had at Sirenis, I felt I had to warn everyone of this place. My husband and I travel to the Caribbean at least twice a year. We usually go to the Dominican at least once a year because of the friendly Dominican people. We stayed at Sirenis Cocotal Octber 27th-Nov 3rd 2013.
The Good:
the beach, the landscaping, food ok, the patio/balcony, the pool
The Bad:
Front Desk Staff: are liars- promise rooms to be ready, only to find out they gave them to other complaining guests. Long wait time for a room. Desk staff insisted we switched rooms with another couple (never dawned on them that they entered it incorrectly in their computers) even after showing them our room receipt that they gave us, which clearly had our room number on it. They were rude to us from day one.
Housekeeping/Service: pathetic. Not a day went by that we didn't have to call the front desk asking for something eg: towels, water, coffee. Of course, the front desk would tell us, "Okay, someone will bring it"....after 2nd and 3rd calls and 3-4hrs later, we USUALLY got the item. How can a country, which clearly states, not to drink their water, not supply you daily with water??? We came to the conclusion that it wasn't entirely the maids fault. How can she supply the rooms when her cart is half stocked with supplies.
Other Guests: The Russians are taking over. They are by far, the most rudest, nastiest people I have ever come across. It was not uncommon to see them shove their way into the buffet. They constantly cut right in front of you in the buffet line and helped themselves.
The Dominican People: in all the years that my husband and I have gone to the Dominican, we would always be greeted with a smile by the Dominicans. You were sure to end your vacation knowing how to do the salsa, whether you wanted to or not. Well....not at the Sirenis. The workers look so beaten down and sad. There is no singing or dancing coming from them. There are no smiles on their faces. I don't know if the Russians "broke" them or if they are being mistreated by upper management. It's sad to see.
Needless to say, we will not return to this hotel.
Mr Manager: Please don't waste your time writing any comments of apologies to my comments. It's all for show, fake and we know you will do nothing about it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all we travelled as a group of 4, we go to Punta Cana once a yr sometimes twice but we always do two trips a year (sometimes Mexico or Jamaica)but this year OMG never so disappointed in the service from this hotel.It was our first time at Sirenis and it will be our last and we would NOT recommend going here.
Let me start with the good
Beach is beautiful, pools are wonderful and the bartenders especially Jenzy at the swim up bar was so friendly. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We were given a renovated room which was nice, the air worked good so good that you wanted to turn it off but it would not shut off, our toilet would not completely flush you could flush 6 or 7 times but it wouldn't make a difference. Lots of chairs and shade if you wanted it at the beach and the pools.

Now for the bad, we arrived at 11 am knowing we would have to wait till 3pm for our room. We made the best of it but at 3 pm we were told our room still wasn't ready it would be another 20 mins. no big deal we grabbed a drink and waited but then to be told our rooms were still not ready be about another 20 mins. now we've been sitting in the lobby for 40 mins only to be told that there was still someone in our room and they'd have to give us another room it would be about another 20 mins. We've now wasted 1 hr sitting in the lobby but we finally got a room. The room was nice but there were no bath towels, no coffee, no water, no beverages whatsoever. Call down to the lobby for all the above, waited about 1/2 hr for service on these items. Our friends and ourselves head down to lobby for a safe key, we had no problems but our friends could not get a key because they told them the safe was broken that they'd have to share ours. Of course this was not acceptable so the next day we found the WestJet rep and explained what had happen and he checked into the safe and said sorry they can't do anything about it we'd have to share or they could move them to a different building but the room would not be as nice. We asked about them taking the safe out of the room they were going to move them to and put in the room assigned, nope can't do it. After another 1/12 hr of arguing with two WestJet reps and the front desk they decided they could change the safe.
Vacations are suppose to be stress free but this time NO way, we had to call guest services everyday we were there for towels, water and coffee. One nite we didn't get towels till 5:45 pm and we had dinner reservations for 6:30 pm and we had to call the front desk 4 times, starting calling them at 3:15
Food was just okay
Staff (excluding Jenzy) were very unhappy hardly ever smiled which is not the norm for Dominican people. The hotel seemed under staffed. They have no nightly entertainment for adults in the lobby or anywhere else unless you want to gamble. No music around the pools, last two nites we were there they had some music in the lobby.

It appears this hotel caters to Russians and believe me when I say they have to be the rudest people on this earth which could explain why the staff never smiled. They rush in the buffet like a herd of cattle pushing whoever is in there way. While at the buffet getting food they will bud right in front of you or push you out of there way. I actually had tongs in my hand to get some food and they were grabbed right out of my hand,. I was shocked! Seemed that the only way you could get service at this hotel was to be rude to the staff and guest. Lobby bartenders seemed to only want to wait on females and you'd ask for a drink and they pretended they didn't know what you were asking for.
If you decide to go to this hotel be prepared to have to call front desk everday for towels, water etc and possibly get your room cleaned, if this doesn't bother you your fine. If you don't mind rude guests your okay. Personally I love the Dominican people how friendly they are, always smiling, singing, dancing but not at this hotel. We would never go back to Sirenis or do we recommend anyone else to go. In fact, it turned us off so much that we've decided not to go to Punta Cana for a while and stick with Mexico or Jamaica. Good luck to anyone who goes here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed at Sirenis Cocotal October 17-24th 2013 almost exactly 2 years from our last visit here. What a disappointment. We paid for an upgraded room not on the main floor and we were given an upgraded room on the Cocotal side that the air conditioning, tv, and fan didn't work on the main floor. As well as 6 inches of standing water right in front of the patio door making it impossible to sit on the little balcony because of the bugs. We are from Northern Ontario, and we know mosquitos and bugs and we couldn't sit outside because of being bitten to death.

After 2 days of arguing with the front staff (which is something we never have had to do) we were upgraded an old room onto Tropical side. Again, nothing in the room worked just like the other room.

Two years ago, it was our first time to Punta Cana. Since then we have told all our friends and family about the wonderful time we had at Sirenis and recommended it to anyone who asked us where we stayed. Almost everything changed.

At that time the buffets were beautiful, the chef carved displays that greeted you in the dining room with fruit and vegetables and they were spectacular, the time and effort put into these were amazing. Themed nights were common and the room was decorated and it was a celebration and a fun night!!
Now the buffet is average.

Now it appears they are catering to the European guests, mostly Russian and they were served before us. At 2 of our a la carts we were not given dessert and were so disappointed that being loud and rude was the only way to get service now.
The rooms 2 years ago were decorated with flowers and towels made into swans, but the minimal staff now make extra details impossible for them to do.

The bar staff in the lobby thankfully have stayed the same, friendly and wonderfully attentive. The front lobby staff have possibly been trained to greet you with open arms and smiles but if they have decided to give your room to someone else (as we found out happened with our room) they will not be helpful and just tell you to come back tomorrow.

The saving grace for this hotel and the reason for the 3 stars is because of the wonderful beach. If you love the sand and amazing ocean then this a beautiful beach to visit. The bar staff in the hotel and the beach are great but the hotel itself has changed so much we will not be returning or recommending to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an up grade and bring bug spray
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocotalbeach, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi Beachgirl H,

Thank you very much for your review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the bar staff service and our wonderful beaches.

I’m sorry to hear you we did not meet your expectations for your returning vacation. We will definitely take your other comments into consideration in order to improve our services.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss further or if you decide to come back in the future so I can make sure you have a great stay with us.

Veronique Garon
Assistant Manager

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!