“my sixth visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #64 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
toronto canada
“my sixth visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

this is my sixth visit to the resort, travel alone I was put on V.I.P by the front office manager Jeha made my stay really pleasant with a fruit basket,bath robe and a slipper to the room. every day gourmet food. food was excellent, friendly staff variety of cock-tail. I recommend this place to lot of friends
and they admitted

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Polish first
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Recently I stayed with the family in the above resort and had a great experience. This is my second time in the same resort, for 2 weeks. I am a member of Sirenis Premium Travelers Club, so I received an extra service: internet, computer with large flat screen and WII games console in the room, upgraded furniture, ocean view, free unlimited phone calls worldwide (from the club), 8 premium drinks and fridge in the room, designated area at the beach and the pool with upgraded chairs, unlimited a-la-cart restaurants, once a week gourmet restaurant including lobster offer, access to SPT restaurant from 8 am to 1 pm with special food offer, express check-in/out, private transportation from/to airport, aqua park etc.

Stay = 2nd half of Aug 2013
Distance from airport = 1 hour drive, bumpy roads, highway under construction
Shopping = at the beach and at close by plaza (15 min), plus local offer in resort at walkways 2-3 times weekly - prices are not cast in stone, negotiate everything, ask half price
Beach = white sand, can walk out of resort for hours
Food = good variety offer, available almost 24 hours (overnight food from 11 pm to 5 am in main restaurant with limited offer, but still a good variety)
Restaurants/Bars = 2 buffet style, opened as needed, grill at the beach + restaurant at the pool, 7 a-la-cart restaurant, 2 beach bars, 2 pool bars, 2 lobby bars, casino bar and theater and disco bar
A/C = not too good in the Lobby and Main buffet restaurants, great in room and Italian restaurant
Room = upgraded since I am a club member
Bugs = sprayed constantly throughout resort, very few mosquitos found, not many bites in 2 weeks, some ants in the bathroom, exterminated efficiently first day using spray - no other bugs seen at all
Weather = fantastic, sunny and warm all 14 days, very few clouds, some rain overnight, dry during the day
Entertainment = excellent, involving all vacationers, choice for everybody - no repeated evening shows for 2 weeks, a lot of volley ball at the beach, sport activities day round
Service = great, all hotel personnel very friendly and not pushing for the tips at all, for a small tip you can get a smile on their face and appreciation, since their salaries are very poor.

Names to point out = Eileen - manager in Sirenis Premium Club, Darling - Mediterranean restaurant supervisor, Ana - waiter in the same restaurant, Sergio and Charlie - barmen, Alvin - from Entertainment, Ada - room maid.

Although it is not a 5 star hotel, experience was very good and we will definitely come again. Kids (13 and 15) absolutely loved it

Sven from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: Building G in Cocotal section or building T (close to beach, ocean view, far from Lobby, 5 min)in Tr...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Let me start by saying that we are a family of five, my wife and I have 3 sons aged 9,12 and 14.

We returned on 22 August from this resort and would have stayed longer. Its not 5 star but its a really beautiful place. We stayed in the Tropical side which I beleive to be more modern in upstairs rooms in block N with a view of the beach and the pool. The pool has a number of areas to suit all, some quiter areas, but it is a family resort so expect children. We did have some initial problems with our beds for 3 boys, but Franklin on the desk sorted this immediately. I also found keeping the maids happy with a few dollars US helped to smooth things during our stay. The buffet food is varied and caters for most tastes and is not 5 star but pretty good and enjoyable. We did enjoy the Jade and Steak house a la carte restaurants, but book as you arrive as they get full. Its good to take lots of one dollar bills for tips as its appreciated and helps to ease your stay. The Beach was glorious and clean with wonderful Palm lined areas, and we tende to walk down the beach to find a quiet spot and sometimes felt like we were on our own - wonderfull to be away from the crowd. The staff were so friendly and Lirenzo in the resaurants became a real friend to our boys - great guy and always so happy. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained and full of lizards, geckos, toads and all sorts of exciting creatures if you look for them as do my boys - kept them happy for hours. The watersports were great - we took the Hobbiecat out and canoes, we also took the scuba lesson in the pool. The Waterpark was a good day out and all inclusive too, a pleasant change and the boys loved it. We only took US dollars in many values but do take one dollar bills for tips, it is really useful.

As for trips out, we chose to go with Mike Bryant for a personal look at the Dominican Republic which was great - www.puntacanamike.com - we did the Munchies at Macao trip - its personal and you are not in a cattle truck with a huge group of strangers...
We also went on a Dolphin Experience with Dolphin Explorers, we chose the most expensive trip, but it is a real treat for the children so I would recommend this.
And finally we went on the Bavaro Splash tour which has Speedboats, snorkelling and Snuba, which is greta for those adventurous family types and a really fun shared time.
We met a lot of people who were quick to complain about this hotel for many reasons but if you go prepared to accept something less than perfection but determind to have a great family time then this is a great resort.

I was in contact with Jaochin the hotel manager ahead of travelling and he was great at helping me with my questions and making sure our stay was good. We will be returning as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Tropical Suites Block N top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hi neil w,

Thank you for your great reviews. It’s always appreciated to get comments like these as we put in so much work to ensure our clients have a pleasant stay. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the room, the beach, the pool, the garden and our staff. I’ll definitely give your great feedback to Lirenzo. He’ll be very pleased.

Whenever you decide to come back to the resort, please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com or Joaquin in order to ensure you spend another great vacation.

Veronique Garon
Assistant Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My 40th birthday celebration was a complete utter disappointment! The landscaping is beautiful but when u get your key to your room watch OUT!! Our room was filthy bathroom looked like it wasn't even cleaned, dead bugs in the room, ants crawling on the dressers, coffee pot and cups. No clean wash cloths or towels. It took 6 phone calls to the front desk and a upset guest to storm the front desk to get them. Asked to speak to mgr told one wasn't avail, requested numerous times to get room changed, they lied said one wasn't available. Bed was like sleeping on rocks. Whole party got diarrhea for days food was absolutely horrible. Girl at the store on the resort named Brendyl tried to overcharge me by $10, she peeled the tags off and played like the receipt wasn't working. After checking my iPhone app for currency exchange I demanded all my money back and got it, French people before and after me did the same. Tried to reporter her to management but they protect their owe. Lastly finally got to speak to mgr at check out named Franklin Trinidad who was a complete joke, how convenient to be avail when upset guests are checking out.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

For starters, this was our second trip to DR. Three years ago we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe and I have this as my benchmark.
We have children in their early teens and my wife thought this resort would be a good one for us as they were offering unlimited free usage to the water park. The kids were looking forward to it as well.
This hotel is not in the Bavaro Beach area, so the beaches are light brown sand vs the typical white sand beaches. It's in an area named Uvero Alto and is approx 1 hour from the airport, however with all the new road work, leave yourself close to two hours. The Bavaro area is much closer to the airport and has much more to offer.
Upon arrival, we were treated with a nice beverage, but would have been nice if it were chilled rather than room temperature. Our check in was fine. They hit you up with a safe charge with a $50 refundable deposit for the key. You can walk to your room with your baggage but I recommend you use their porters...a $5 tip was more than enough.

Main Area
The lobby, bars, dining area, some al a carte, shop, gaming area, lounge, are all in the same building. There are two large dining areas so finding a seat is easy. They serve the same food, so don't make it difficult on yourself. The main area (lobby, bar and lounge) has low ceilings so the air flow is poor...expect to sweat a lot. The fans do very little. Do the bartenders and waitresses not have any sweat glands.

Rooms
We booked a junior suite on the Tropical side of the resort. It had a bedroom area with two double beds a large closet and a tv; a single bathroom, a family room area with a couch (not pullout), a desk and a tv. The areas are separated by a four foot knee wall, making it an open concept. The tv in the bedroom was and older CRT tube type and didn't work properly (wasn't there to watch tv anyway). The tv in the family room had satellite so it was great to distract the kids. Channels ranged from mainly Spanish, many American channels, some French, German and Russian.
The rooms were fairly clean and had its own AC controls (the maids are told to shut them off when they clean the rooms, so keep an eye out for that). The bathrooms have no exhaust fans so expect a lot of moisture after everyone gets done showering. The water pressure was amazing and could easily remove any sand in your hair.
The rooms are cheaply decorated with a few pieces of artwork (one actually fell on my wife's forehead as we were going to sleep. It took them 3 days to put it back up). We had a furnished balcony which was nice for my early morning coffee.
The cleaning staff only do a good job if you leave them a tip. We typically left $2...just an observation when we forgot to leave a tip.
The rooms were average in my standards. But wasn't there to stay in them for long...sleep and shower. Our building was close to the beach and I recommend you do the same. We spent more time on the beach than the lobby, dining room or bar area. This made it easier to claim our beach chairs in the morning.

Beach and Pool Area
Just awesome. The pool is very large and is divided into 4 areas, which are all accessible from the water. There are two in pool bars and two standard bars. There is a Mexican restaurant which converts to the late breakfast and lunch area. Washrooms are close to the dining area..not the cleanest. The pool on the Coccotal side is much busier and is the hub of the daily entertainment... Hilarious, and most of it for adult content...parents take note. There are really nice furniture around parts of the pool area but its for VIP members only (the people wearing black wristbands). There are limited chairs by the pool and beach, so get an early start in the morning and get yours. Please, please, please...just take what you need. Side tables on the beach are rare, so if you want one for your drinks, go at 7am.
The beach is very nice, however it doesn't have white sand. I quickly got over this. There is a shady section and a few huts on the Coccotal side. The Tropical side was very open and much quieter. There is a roped off swimming area on the beach, but doesn't have a net going down to the ocean floor. Fish make their way in...but this is a good thing. Outside of the swimming area and about 20 ft into the water there is quite a bit of reef. This makes it a good habitat for fish. I recommend you bring with you a snorkelling kit and discover the reef ..kids and I just loved it. Many colourful fish and I saw a stingray and a 4 ft nurse shark without having to pay for it. Many people bring bread down to the water, get close to the reef and watch the fish go nuts eating. Some will eat from your hand. I recommend water shoes as the reef area may have sharp parts. Sea urchins are in the thousands on the reef. Seems that the coral is trying to make a come back here. This is the Atlantic side, so expect some wild waves. The water stays murky for most of the day. There's little traffic so it's quite safe to venture outside the swim area. Just one boat on the beach for tubing.
On either end of the beach is the limits of the resort. There is private and public areas beyond that. The west side has some private shops and one in particular named "Walmart of DR". The sales guys are very aggressive. The east side has very little for about a mile when you come across and old house converted to a store. My wife and kids were uneasy about walking outside the resort borders. In Bavaro you can walk for miles from one resort to another. At Sirenis, it's pretty much the only resort there. If you like nature this is a nice place. If you like the hustle and bustle of neighbouring resorts, Bavaro is the place.

The Food
The food at this resort was ok. Breakfast is pretty standard and they do a great job of it. Frankly, the egg station cook already knew what I wanted while in line. Kids loved the French toast. They certainly understand the importance of coffee in the morning and come immediately after your seated. There's plenty of other foods: waffles, pancakes, a smoothie bar, bacon, toast, cereal, oatmeal, assortment of cooked veggies and meats, etc. Trust me, it's a good spread.
We ate lunch in the buffet area once during our stay and regret not going more often, however we were too lazy to walk for 5 mins. We had most of our lunches at the Mexican rest. It had burgers, fries, salads, fish, pizza, cold cuts, rice, and specialty daily dishes (typ in a stew like sauce and I'm convinced it was the remains of the dinner buffet..IMHO). Overall the lunch was good.
Dinners always had a theme night. Sun-international cheese, Monday- Asian, Tues-Italian, Wed-cant remember, Thurs-cant remember, Fri-Mexican, Sat-Dominican. So, one of the first things you do is book all your al a carte when you get there and time it to the themed night. Definitely go al a carte on Sat. If you want Italian, go al a carte. Don't have the spaghetti marinara unless you like brown tomato sauce. Look around what others are having. Having said that, my son ordered the spaghetti marinara at the Mediterranean restaurant and it was done right, less any basil...don't see this herb on the resort. The Mediteranean was very good. The decor is outdated, but the food is worth it. You can pretty much walk in without a reservation, but best you do.
The Italian and Japanese book quickly. The Steak house was ok. The steak is served with all the sides, and they put gravy on it...what the...They thoroughly cook everything at everyplace you eat, so make sure your clear on what you want.
My family liked the Japanese and was quite entertaining. We went twice. Don't stuff yourself on the appetizers as they give you rice, veggies, chicken, beef on the first round. Then the chef puts on shrimp and salmon on the grill. I nearly split my gut the first time we went.
We didn't try the Mexican, so I cannot comment.
The fruits were absolutely amazing. Real watermelon with seeds. Not this GMO stuff. The mangos melted on your mouth with a burst of honey sweetness. The pineapple was so juicy, you can put a straw into the slices.
If you want a treat, watch the gardener a as he climbs up the coconut trees to knock them down. Ask him for one and he'll put his knife to it and present you with a coconut cup filled with milk. Soo fresh. Tip him a buck or two and he'll give you one everyday.
So, overall the food was fine. The food at out last resort was much better. But am I really there to gain 10 pounds?
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would place this at 7.0 compared to Bahia Principe at 8.5. It is less expensive for a reason. You won't really be disappointed, but you will think about what you could have had.
Not sure if its resort related, but I did find the customer service served up with a little attitude with a touch of arrogance. I get more smiles at McDonald's. it was much different at the last place.
That's all for me and hope this helps you. Any comments or want any more info, just comment.

• Stayed August 2013
Hi Travellingbene,

First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your review, we really take it into consideration in order to improve our services. You have put a lot of useful comments in this review to really help people understand the type of resort we are.

I just wanted to add to your review by saying, yes we might be a little far from the airport right now (approximately 1 hour on a regular day), but once the new highway will be finished at the end of November (if everything goes as planned), this time will be reduced by half. But being far is not a bad thing if you want to enjoy the kilometers of virgin beaches around the resort.

Also, I just wanted to comment that we are constantly making changes to improve our resort. Right now, we are renovating over 200 bathrooms on the Cocotal side of the resort; we are renovating our gift shop and also our gym.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you ever decide to come back to our resort so I can make your stay as great as possible.

Veronique Garon
Assistant Manager
Rochester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Have only just arrived back in the UK after spending two weeks in the Sirenis Tropical Suites... or was it the Sirenis Cocotel Beach Resort you tell me...

Was happy on first arriving at Punta Cana Airport, no complaints there until going through Passport Control the woman that saw us was really quite rude, not a good start after a 9 hour + journey. Anyway, put that to one side got on the bus, well Thomas Cook what can I say, the bus looked ok from the outside but when you got inside it was like something that had been left out in a field for the last 20 years or so... I was not impressed. The bus was not clean, it smelt musty there was green mould on the roof and the windows had condensation on which I am assuming had not been wiped for the past 20 years. Anyway, put up with that for 1 hour or so and arrived at the hotel only to find that our rooms were not ready. No problem we thought and went for a walk down to the beach area to find a place to have a nice G & T which we did and most enjoyable it was too.

Went back to reception to get the keys to our room which was smooth considering we had had to wait until about 6.00pm from about 4.30pm for the room the be cleaned. The cases were taken by the porter and we were in K Block. Looked ok from the outside so went in the lift to the first floor. The lift was not clean, in fact positively dirty but hey no one is really bothered about that you wont be using it that much so off we trundle to the room. Get inside to find a very outdated room that had not been cleaned particularly well but by this time I was losing the will to live. We said nothing to and thought nevermind they may have been cleaning rather late and therefore gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Went for something to eat in the restaurant and this was pleasant enough, drinks at the bar with a live band all very good nothing to worry about with the food and drink, was flowing nicely.

Got up the next day and went to the beach, beautiful... the grounds, the pool area, the beach bar, everything about this hotel was lovely cannot fault it but ...

went back to the room and yes you have guessed it, not cleaned, phoned reception who apologied for this and said they would get the maid in. I would like to add that the day we arrived, the room had just had a quick lick over, the mirror in the bathroom was dirty still, the mirror in the bedroom had not been wiped and the mirror on the wardrobe was full of dust and not cleaned. Anyway, the maid came whilst we were at dinner and when we came back it was perfectly clean, although the mirror in the bedroom on the wall had not been touched. We thought to ourselves, that would be that, they would now remember to do our room but oh now, two days later, yes you have guessed it the room was not cleaned.

This time I thought well I will give them a call, which I did, they promised to send the maid up to the room but I thought no I will go to reception this time. Upon going to reception I was asked to speak with James, not too sure what his job is but he was extremely helpful. He promised that the room would be cleaned from now on and that I would not have any further troubles. He gave me his direct number and I went on my was. He promised to call me within the hour to see if the maid had been. He did call and yes she had been but I asked her if she could come back in about 1 hour and she did. I have to say that that was the last of the non cleaning of the room saga.

I have to say that all of the above set me on a bad footing but as the week passed I didnt have any further worries. The staff, especially Awilda who serves behind the bar in the reception bar was very good fun, she looks a little stern when you first see her but if you have a laugh with her she is great fun, be careful though she does understand English, to my detriment when I called her a misery, she laughed and after that it broke the ice. There were some English lads enjoying having a dance and a muck about with her and she took in all in her stride.

Also, out of the restaurants that you need to book, the best ones that we went to were the Mediterranean and the Japanese, both times we went Darling at the Mediterranean was very attentive and Julian in the Japanese was great fun, could not fault the food or the staff. The only thing I would say is that you do not get a bottle of wine on the table, they serve you this and when there are 4 of you, well the whole bottle does'nt go that far.

Apart from that, a good time was had by all. The hotel grounds and beach are absolutely fantastic, the staff are great most of the time although a little few touches here and there would not go a miss.

Rooms on the pictures by the professional photographer are not the rooms that most people stay in, I think they are for the premium customers but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Also, Sirenis Tropical Suites, if you book with them through your tour company then you should at least be seen by them upon arriving at the hotel, not the Sirenis Cocotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

recently got back having stayed for 2 weeks at the tropical suites. First time we as a family have travelled this far out and i must say that the holiday was fantastic the hotel was great and when we first got there we were greeted by a cocktail drink whiles waiting at reception to book in. staff were friendly and would always greet you.The room was better then we expected we were only expecting a one room and got a separate bedroom and a living area, tv in both bedroom and living room. mini bar with soft drinks stocked daily and a coffee makers too. The only bad comment i could give about the rooms are that it could do with a new paint on the walls.
The animation team were great and very friendly with various activities through out the day.
The aqua park which on the holiday package stated that it would be at an extra charge was actually free go get into which was a bonus and great fun with several water slides both for adults and kids with its own buffer style feeding facilities which you can use with your wrist band.

The beach its self was amazing with its sandy beach and palm trees, would recommend you take your snorkels as there are plenty of fish to see.
water sport activities are also available at an extra charge £10 for banana boat.
USD are used the most in dominican and you can not exchange GBP for USD at the hotel only GBP to PESO which really is not a problem as the exchange rate for GBP is greater.

The weather was really hot with some heavy showers during the day which cleared quick but when it rains it pours in dominican republic.
There is a night club at the hotel however the drinks are charged at the club which i thought was a bit unfair and your not allowed to take your own drinks from the bar inside.

Last of all the FOOD....my two kids 16yrs and 14yrs old are fussy eaters and i must say that the food at the hotel is not bad i wouldnt say its fantastic but it is good with some variety including deserts. The ice cream you would find most times like milk shake.
the steak house was amazing and we went twice i would recommend.
before i forget i must say that the sirenis cocotal and the tropical suites are both the same hotel and you can use both facilities whiles there.

A must do excursion is also the caribbean festival where you get to swim with nurse sharks and touch stingrays and snorkel. short day but fun.

I would recommend this hotel and would go again

Room Tip: go for ground floor, easy to get to after a tiring day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!