You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #64 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
sussex uk
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

We have just returned from a week at Sirenis Tropical suites and had a fantasic break. We have read a few of the reviews and can only say our experience was excellent. The journey from the airport was by direct transfer with VIP and took about an hour. It scared the living daylights out of us lol..... but this is how the Dominicans live! Not sure if there is such a thing as a driving test, but there was no road rage or stress....and no one was sick on our bus on either journey. It was worth doing just to see the old American MACK trucks with no bonnets and exposed wiring and the mopeds, one with two people on carrying a car bonnet and a chair cushion lol. ( If you are faint hearted I would suggest you book a hotel within the 10 min flight path of the airport to avoid this bumpy journey)

On arrival we were greeted with a cocktail ( the first of many that week ) the check in was swift and our cases taken to our room.

Our accomodation was spotless and air con and fans on for our arrival. The fridge was topped up daily with bottled water and soft drinks, And the towels and linen where changed daily also. In fact wherever we went there was someone cleaning or spraying.

Food is always an emotional subject as I think it is so hard to please so many nationalities all the time but I canot fault it, there was somthing there to cover all tastes. Also the level of service and attention to detail was something that could be taken on in the UK, after a few days the guys knew our names and what we where drinking. They always had a smile despite working some incredibly long hours. Jonathon who served in the Mexican buffet at lunchtime was great.

If you are going to book a trip try going on to the beach and hook a left, you will go off the private beach after a few hundred yards will come across Buddah, his trips are cheaper than the hotels...some said it was because he wasn't insured but we think the hotel only pumps the trips out to others anyway. We did the quad biking through the beach guy and he appeared to be the only person making you wear skid lids...so make of that what you will. Also Ian Wrights double is selling paintngs on the beach to...lol.

To comment on a previous review , we were not charged for drinks at the disco and a premium vodka eg Absolute(no measures here either lol ) and a bottle of sprite was only $6.

Try some Mamamjuana that has been soaked in the 'wood' we never could find out the origin of the wood but it is meant to be an aphrodizzyac just try it....cannot possible comment on its powers but have had to bring some back.

Which brings me to the airport. If you have bottles of drink put them in your case wrapped in towels or something as we had ours confiscated only to go to Duty Free and purchase again. Also heard about the dubious overcharging of excess bagage....it then happened to the couple behind us. Rumour has it if you ask for a receipt and can only pay by Credit Card they let it drop, but I would check out my baggage allowance and have back up documents with me to verify my allowance and argue the point.

We will be going back to this resort and taking family young and old with us and I dont think I can give a better recommendation that that.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, cool
  • Disliked — no kettle
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Just got back from a thoroughly enjoyable stay at the Sirenis Suites. Temperatures got in to the 50c and pool temp was 31c. This would have been a problem if not for the fantastic areas of shade provided everywhere.
What you will find at the Sirenis is one of the best designed pools in the world. The pool was built to cater for everyone, easy for the kids and deep (over 7ft in places) for the serious swimmers. Two swim up bars catered easily for the June guests but I suspect will be under pressure in July/August when the silly season in on.

Time for some praise for the staff, in particular the Guest Services and a lovely lady called Iris. My advice to you is to make contact with Iris early on your holiday and do not be afraid to get her to sort any problems you may have. Iris represents the honesty and sincerity of the staff and the Sirenis.
Checking in after a long journey was a breeze taking only a few minutes, no long queues, no hassle, no big forms just a cool drink, a deposit for the safety deposit box and your in.
You will find speciality restaurants at the Sirenis. I tried the Italian, Japanese, Mexican and The Steakhouse. The Japanese food was far too salty but all the others were top class. I rated the Italian as the best of the lot, do make sure you eat there.

The Gardens around the hotel are well maintained and will ensure you get some good photographs. The Casino is small but enjoyable; the entertainment is what you would expect and the entertainment team very enthusiastic.
Security is good with extra staff throughout the night patrolling the beach area for added protection.

Trips. I took two boat trips. In particular I enjoyed the Tropical Storm catamaran and it certainly lived up to its name. We were caught in one. Paddy from Scotland, (don’t ask) looked after us and we made a day of it despite the incessant all day rain. The half day shopping trip which my wife and friends went on was a disaster. The men folk having made the arduous decision to stay at the hotel and watch the football were fairly rewarded for taking this approach.

There aren’t many places, if any, to go if not on an organised trip. The roads are bad and hiring a car and driving yourself is not recommended so be prepared to spend most of you stay relaxing at the pool or on the beach. I went for a complete chill out so I got exactly what I went for. Meeting new friends is a large part of any holiday in my opinion and I hope that you are as lucky as were were.

Now a word of warning for British guests who will travel with Thomas Cook. You will encounter two reps at the resort. James who is knowledgeable, interesting and helpful and Becky. You will recognise her by the jack boots. What she is doing there was beyond me. Arrogant & Ignorant are just two of her “qualities”. She should be shipped over to neighbouring Cuba in readiness for the departure of Castro.
Becky is not right for the job she is in as she cannot treat guests in a civilised manner so be warned, be very warned.

• Liked — The staff- helpful and friendly
  • Disliked — our tour operator rep-Becky.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

right!!
where do i start...Like everyone is saying the trip from the airport is awful, bumpy roads and very very wierd driving by people. over all the holiday was great, made some really good friends. weather 1st week was very cloudy and showery but still hot ish 2nd week after a massive storm which felt like it went on for days we had really good sunny weather.. and when it was hot god it was hot!
im a fussy eater and altho the food is good it seemed like each night at the buffet i was eating the same thing. come 10days into the holliday i was jus totally fed up with it.
hotel staff seem to work really hard and are always asking you if u want any more drinks. hotel was kept very clean with fresh drinks in our rooms every day.
i got bitten LOADS so be careful. it is warm at night but if u can cover up it worked towards the end for me. Entertanment staff where awsum, eddy chico and spaghetti!!!!! miss you guys!! loads of games going on during the day.
TRIPS: i did parasailing ($45 pp)but they take alot of you out at a time and if the sea is choppy like it was for us take some sick bags!! haah both me and my partner we sick as were other people on the boat. also did banana boating which cost $10pp for about 15mins! was great fun!!

over all a fab holiday topped off with meeting some fab people i would go on to name you all but you no who you are
Ginny & Joe
26th may 10th june! :o)

• Liked — everything, the hotel is fab
  • Disliked — the road before hand and the food wasnt great
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

Really, you're in a poor country with the nicest people trying to do their best to make you feel welcome and please you. Yes the shower design wasn't the best, but why does it matter, you're not the one cleaning up the mess anyway. The maids do an amazing job of cleaning up YOUR mess.

FOOD: Wasn't the best, but it's hard to cater to so many people, all of different backgrounds. My only real disapointment was that there was no whole wheat bread. We found the Japanese and Mexican restaurants were very nice.

SERVICE AND STAFF: Excellent!

POOLS: The kiddy pool was huge, plenty of room for people with families.

ENTERTAINMENT TEAM: Amazing!! We loved the team activities by the pool and the nightly entertainment was very well done. Huge talent.

If you're picky and insignificant details bother you, then this isn't the place for you.

• Liked — The staff and beach
  • Disliked — the location from the airport
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

Date of travel 25th May 2008 for 2 weeks, Sirenis Tropical Suites.

An excellent hotel with good restaurants, good facilities, very friendly staff and located right on a beautiful beach. Unfortunately our holiday was spoiled by the hotel medical facilities which are a real tourist trap.

On Site Doctor
After a week or so my wife became ill with a high temperature. We went to see the on site doctor but and after an examination and a bill for $90 he said that he could not determine the cause and that my wife would need to go to hospital for urine and blood tests. He said he couldn't do this on site and the nearest hospital was 40 minutes taxi ride away. He even suggested we bring a change of clothing incase we had to stay overnight. We thought it very strange that he couldn't perform these simple tests on site and we suspected he was on a commission for any tourists he could refer. He was insistent throughout that we let him know which clinic we were planning to go to and he even suggested we bring a change of clothing incase we had to stay overnight. My wife chose not to go to hospital as although we had medical insurance we thought they were bound to question the need for a hospital stay just to have basic tests. What disappointed us the most was that after we told the doctor my wife did not want to go to hospital he offered no treatment in order to ease her discomfort. I believe he was hoping her condition would worsen to the extent she would feel compelled to go to hospital. Fortunately I happened to mention my wifes condition to a member of staff and he was able to tell us what it was. They call it Caribbean Fever and its just a type of flu that foreigners to the island are prone to. We went to the onsite pharmacy and purchased some tymanol and andadin which worked a treat. As there is malaria in DR we were worried it could be that but after looking up the symptoms on the internet were confident it wasn't. Obviously on our return my wife went straight to her GP to confirm this. While we were there we heard other of other incidents that reinforced our view that any medical treatment would be detrimental to your pocket. A friend with an ear infection was treated for a cost of £200. While we were there we heard someone had contracted gastro enteritis. The onsite doctor did manage to put this person on a drip, which is far more complicated than taking a urine test. Unfortunately this person didn't get any better and had to spend 3 days in hospital at a cost of £2000. I hope they were covered by their insurance. A rep also told me of some other incidents , I'm not sure if these are Sirenis specific. One of her guests was charged $500 to clear some ear wax. But the worst one was a woman who travelled to the DR 7 months pregnant and gave birth in her hotel room. The authorities would not let the couple leave the DR until they could prove the child was theirs through DNA testing. I suspect this was because DR has a history of child trafficking. This took a month and they were lucky that the hotel gave them free accommodation. Unfortunately their medical bill was 32,000 euros!

If you are planning to travel to the DR make sure you have the best possible cover and do not travel if you are pregnant or have any pre-existing conditions.

Obviously the fact that my wife was allowed to suffer needlessly for a couple days spoilt the holiday to a certain extent and we wouldn't go back to the same hotel after being treated that way. This is a shame as we thought the rest of the hotel was excellent. We were fortunate that although my wifes condition was very uncomfortable it was bearable. Had the same thing happened to one of our children we would have been completely at the doctors mercy.

Rooms
Hotel is split into two halves – cocotal beach on one side and tropical suites on the other. Its really one hotel with two types of accommodation as all the facilities are shared. We were in the tropical suites where the rooms have small lounge area with a sofabed. Useful if you have a party of three but we didn't really use it much as we were a party of four in two rooms. Rooms were nice, with two tvs and a fridge which was stocked with water and soft drinks daily. We were in block M which overlooked the pool and had a great seaview. The only thing I didnt like about the room was that the air con was very weak. Even though we left in on constantly it never cooled the room enough. I dont think it was a fault as we had two rooms and it was the same in both. The room was kept very clean and faults reported to reception were dealt with promptly. While we were there the water stopped a few times and we had power cuts. There are mosquitoes and we got bitten quite a bit. As well as spraying yourself remember to regularly spray the bottom of your door and the air vent in the bathroom.

I wasnt impressed by the evening buffet, the choice and quality was not great. The staff were excellent though as they were in all the restaurants. Very friendly, very quick to supply drinks and tables were kept clean. The a la cartes were much better. Jade and the Italian were excellent I thought and a real surprise after the buffet. Bring a camera to jade as the chef will give you some good photo opportunities. We tried all the a cartes, didnt like the vegetarian, mexican or seafood. Steakhouse was ok. We tried the lobster restaurant which was $35 a head extra. The lobser was huge and we were glad we went. Lunchtime buffets were ok and there is a BBQ on the beach which I though was good for snacks. Tried room service one day but was disappointed to find it the same food as in the buffet even though you have to pay for it. I couldn't see the point of that.

One annoyance was the booking system for the a la carte. Basically the guest services team would lbe econonic with the truth regarding availability. They try to get you into unpopular times by saying the restaurant is fully booked when it isn't or they will say a particular restaurant you want is closed that night and point you to the Mexican. For example we were told we could only go to the Italian at 18:30 one night as it was fully booked. When we left at 19:15 there was only one other table occupied. On another night friends of ours were told the steak house was closed on a night that we ate there.

Drinks
I don't drink much alcohol so I cant vouch for the alcoholic drinks. I did notice they were using mainly unbranded drinks but I think they had branded if you specifically asked. The non alcoholic cocktails were great , a lot better on other all inclusives I have been on. The other major difference I noticed was that it was very easy to get served , there were no queues at the bars , probably because it was low season. Even at reception if you were not at the bar you would be frequently asked by waitresses if you wanted a drink.

Watersports
Windsurfing, kayaks, snorkel equipment and catamarans were all available free for a hour a day on all inclusive. For some equipment you were asked to pay $10 a day or $30 a week insurance. Other watersports such as scuba diving ,parasailing and banana boat were available for a fee. I normally scuba dive on holiday but didnt bother as I had read the diving wasnt great. I have dived other Caribbean islands before and they are not as good as the likes of the Red Sea or the Maldives. I did try sailing a catamaran for the first time and I was really glad I did. I was given a lesson one morning and then allowed to head off on my own. It is a bit difficult to start as the sailing area is shallow and full of corals so your endup getting grouded very easily. Once I was more confident I went into deeper water which was more fun, especially with the waves. I really enjoyed the sailing even though I did manage to capsize it one afternoon. The watersport guys were great and had a proper lifeboat to pick me up and return me to the beach. The watersports guys were all very friendly and helpful. I thought that once I had capsized the catamaran once they would be hesitant to let me go on it again as it was a hard work for them to get the catamaran back but they didnt mind and encouraged me to go again. The sailing was one of the highlights of the holiday for me.

Pool
Two big pools each with shallow and deep areas and a pool bar. The tropical side seemed to be quieter and all the activities and load music were on the cocatal side. We went during the low season so I would say only half the sunbeds were in use at any one time. Lots of beds were reserved under umbrellas but it wasnt hard to find one especially if you went on the beach. As there were so many empty beds every day I thought there was no chance of any squabbles over beds. Unfortunately I was proved wrong. We left towels on the beds only to find a couple had decided to take the beds and dump our towels. I really dont like arguing on holiday so I asked them to move and even though they had lost 2 of our towels which was going to cost me $40 to replace I didnt make a fuss. Unfortunately later in the day the couples French daughter and husband turned up and she launched into an almighty tirade against us because we had asked her parents to move. She was unbelievably rude, she swore at me and my wife and even at a little english girl that happened to be watching. In the end I decided that a shouting match was not how I wanted to spend my time on holiday so I wished them a pleasant holiday and moved on. I still cant believe how I managed to get into an argument over sunbeds in a half empty resort.

Location
Sirenis is about an hours taxi ride from the airport in a rural location. Apart from a hotel either side there are local shops or towns to visit so apart from excursions you are pretty much tied to the hotel. Because the roads are so bad it is not recommended to hire a car either. Local tourist sights seem to be either caves or coffee/cacao plantations.

Entertainment
The entertainment was probably the best we have seen on holiday. Daytime entertainment team were excellent. Very funny guys, especially Spaghetti. Eddie and Chico were also good. We had children aged 10 and 13 and although there did not seem to be activities directly for them they were allowed to join in most of the adult activities. The daytime entertainment was good fun and well organised most of the time. My only gripe was that the some of the entertainment team used language not suitable with children around.

The evening shows were performed in a very profession theatre with a large stage, lots of seating and good sound and lights. I was very impressed with the quality of the dancers , they seemed very professional compared to what I have seen elsewhere. Unfortunately a lot of the shows were dance themed so although very good they soon lost their appeal. There were a few shows with audience participation which although very funny again contained material not suitable with children in the audience.

I went to the casino a couple of times. Lots of slots and three tables. I played black jack and it must have been a training night when I went as there was a manageress overlooking the dealer and I have never seen so many errors in adding up or paying out before. Quite funny to watch, the manageress was livid when a dealer was going to pay out $70 on what should have been a $30 win.

My wife and daughter had some treatments in the spa and they said they were great.

There is a games room opposite the doctors which has pool, table tennis and pool tables. You have to pay for pool but the other are free. Open in the evening but the lights above the table tennis table are so dim you can hardly see the ball.

Excursions
There was plenty of choice for excursions, Swimming with dolphins, swimming with sharks and rays, helicopter rides, speed boats, zip lines, trips to islands, snorkelling, horse riding, Buggys and ATVs, Scuba diving.

After reading reports on the internet we did horse riding and ATVs with Ramone who can be found on the beach if you go left. A very nice man and we really enjoyed the trips especially the ATV's. We got to ride both the horses and the ATVs on the beach which was great. My daughter was not impressed with the guy that took us horse riding though.

Friends of ours went parasailing and they were in a group of about 8 people. As a result they had to spend quite a bit of time on the boat for every to have their go and a few of them were sick.

Tipping
I tipped a lot more than usual on this holiday and was happy to do so as the service was so good and the staff so friendly.

Reception
Spanish is the main language but most speak enough English to get by. Reception staff least friendly and helpful in the hotel I thought. When we arrived we weren't given any information other than where the room was and a leaflet. They did arrange a nice surprise for us on our wedding anniversary though free of charge

Shops
There are some shops at the entrance to the hotel and some huts either side of the beach. The shops sold beachware, batteries etc. If you walk along the beach you will be approached by locals to get you to go into the beach huts. They are polite though and will accept a no if you are not interested. All the huts sell pretty much the same things. On the whole they are a friendly bunch but you do have to haggle which fortunately I love. I went to most of the huts and my favourite was a Haitian guy called Emanuelle. His shop is the farthest shop away on the right hand side of the beach past the watersports hut. He was the nicest, friendliest guy of the lot and was a great haggler. What set him apart from the others was that if you wanted something he didn't have he would get it for you. For instance I needed some suitcase locks, he got them for me the next day and he didn't charge the earth.

Weather
I was expecting weather similar to Florida, hot with downpours of 30-60 minutes and then hot again. We had two or three days when it rained for all morning hours and was cool all day . We then had a really big storm that lasted a whole day after which it was really hot for the rest of the holiday.

Transfers
We booked transfers online at http://www.dominicanairporttransfers.com/ and were very pleased with the service we got. The website is very professional and easy to use. We paid $150 return for 4 people. The cars were very big, clean and had good air con. The drivers were polite, drove well and turned up on time. On the trip to the hotel we had an 8 seater and on the way back a 10 seater. The roads to the hotel are full of really big pot holes so we were glad we had a sensible driver. Other drivers were driving all over the road to miss the pot holes and were going too fast for the conditions.

• Liked — Excellent service, friendly staff - Good entertainment
  • Disliked — Medical facility is a tourist Trap
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I read so many great reviews from here that I thought I was in for one hell of a treat. too say the least, I was very disappointed. I travelled with my boyfreind, May 31st - June 7th

First of all I'll start with the hour long ride. The driver drove very fast, at times over 100km an hour. The roads are bumpy and full of holes, we races around motorcyles (mostly had three people on them at a time) and work trucks that had about 20-30 men piled in the back. We we left a week later, the ride was almost two hours because it was a bigger bus and the driver drove normally. So if you get easlily car sick, pick a resort closer to the airport. I don't normally get car sick but I did on the way out.

The resort is ok looking, the grass is not green but more like a brown/yellow color. You can actually see where the water sprinklers come up as its very green in those small area. The front of the resort had real birds, peacocks, geese and flamigos. The lobby was nice, and very clean. The bathrooms in the Lobby were very hot and smelly, but each toilet had its own private room. Lots of palm trees with men climbing them and cutting down palm branches and coconuts. One even got one for me and cut it open for me to try the juice.

The rooms were horrible. They smelled like mold and the curtains had mold on them. I never felt clean at all when I was sleeping. The central air was ok. We could sleep just fine, but I just always felt dirty. We really didn't spend much time in our room anyhow, so this we really didn't care about.

The pool is the best part of the resort. Athough it had lots of wear and tear, it was cool, and clean. The tropical side is a little quietier then the other and we went there one morning when we wanted to be on our own for a bit. Both sides have a swim up bar, although we didn't drink overly too much in the day time. This is where we spent most of our time.

The beach is ok, brown sand and lots of coral so watch when you walk cause it will cut your feet. The water was dirty so we didn't swim there much. Not a picture perfect beach that one pictures when you go to the Carribean. If your looking for blue water and white sand.. move on. My boyfreind and I walked along the beach a bit and the locals would run down and bug you to shop in their stores.

The food was the worst part of the trip. We ate at 2 restaurants. The Mexican and the Japanese. The mexican I think gave me food poisoning and i woke up at about 3am very very ill... Vomiting. No one else in out group got sick and I was the only one who had a different meal. And it really wasn't very good. The Japanese was really good and we went there twice. It's entertaining and they cook everything in front of you so you know its good. They only give you 2 a la cartes. We hooked up with a fun couple from Quebec on the bus and when we booked, we booked for 4 and thats how one get more a la cartes (Hi Pierre and Genevieve). The buffet was so bad that when I would walk in there the smell would almost make me sick. Mostly what I ate for the whole trip was Watermelom, catalope and french fries. I was scared to eat any meat after I got sick, except for the Japanese restuarant. We heard that the BBQ at the beach was good, but I was too scared to try it. Maybe us Canadians and Americans are too picky (our Jersey friends hated the food as well), because our UK friends thought the food was fine.

We did two activities and also booked a massage. We booked though Roberto, a local who worked next to the towel hut. You can barter with him. We booked an ATV ride, two machines for $60 each. He wanted $80 each. and Parasailing. We got a crowd together and got a small discount. This one is not so easy to barter. We gave Roberto an Ottawa Sentors hat and shirt and he gave us some CD's and coffee... The ATV ride was really fun, we went through a village and the children would chase you in their bare feet looking for candy. I didn't bring any, but if i ever do that again I will. Dress to get dirty cause when I got back I was covered in mud. The parasailing, I got too scared and wouldn't go, so my boyfriend went alone. He loved it, they dipped him in the ocean a few times and keep him up there the longest out of our group. Finally we spend a day at the spa and booked 50 minutes massages. Well worth it, the best massage I ever had.

The best part of the trip was the people we meet. We hung out with a bunch of guys from New Jersey, 2 couples from the UK, our friends from Quebec and there would always be extra people around each night. We were the happening crowd. We went to the disco a couple of night, where you have to buy your drinks, but most nights were spent at the Lobby bar. Fun fun fun !!! Oh - and if your a sports fan,. out front where all the little shops are, there is a sports bar with a couple of small TV's. We dragged all of our friends over there to watch the Stanley Cup final. Thats right Jersey boys - we saw the game too..... :)

All in all I will NOT go back, in fact I don't think I would go back to Punta Cana in general.

And hi too all our friends - Jenna, Paul, Nikki, Rob, Jersey and all the boys, Peirre and Genevieve.... and all the other fine folks we hung out with.

L & P

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

Just got back from a really fun vacation in Punta Cana. Here is a lengthy review - hope it helps! :)

What to expect when you get there:
My fiance and I are seasoned travellers and have stayed at multiple all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. All have had their ups and downs - the first thing that really appeared to be a "down" point was the trip from the Punta Cana airport to the hotel. I read the reviews and thought the driving was an exaggeration - it isn't! The Sirenis Tropical/Cocotal is approximately a 1 hour drive from the airport on roads that have not seen a touch of maintenance since their inception - which must have been many, many...many years ago. It is like trying to drive across swiss cheese for over an hour on a mad swerving bus with other vehicular obstacles in the way to boot. One lady was actually ill on the bus from motion sickness. My fiance enjoyed how scenic the ride was and wasn't bothered by motion sickness, so for him it wasn't bad. For me, however...
- The moral of this story?? If you can afford an extra $50 US - take a cab from the airport. It's worth it I'm sure - some individuals at the resort told us they use it every time and it makes a tremendous difference.

Arriving at the hotel after such an epic journey was a massive relief. We were greeted with a welcome cocktail and check-in was no problem at all. Bags were taken and delivered to the rooms automatically and I noticed immediately that there was no hovering or pressure for tips that I have gotten at every other resort. We gave one anyway and meandered over to our room.

The Rooms:
We booked on the Tropical Suites side of the resort. It is essentially the same as the Cocotal side, however with the suites you get a separate living room and television, which is nice if one of you wants to crash earlier than the other - the room is separate and has a door to the bedroom which can be closed for quiet. The rooms are nothing particularly fancy but very clean and quite spacious. There is a mini bar which is stocked daily with pop and water. Television stations have plenty of english selections and movie networks which were appreciated on the couple of days we had of torrential downpours and didn't feel like leaving the room for a few hours.
We stayed in the Q block which was closer to the beach than to the main resort. It made for quite the trek to the main lobby and bar areas, but it was also close to the pool.
Our room was kept clean the whole time - we brought little dollar store goodies for the maid which we left on the first day and tipped every other day, but the days we did not didn't seem to matter much when it came to the quality of the maid service.
I must point out something - take this as you will: One night we came home late to find the floor of our bedroom was completely and utterly covered with bug WINGS. It was disgusting and bizarre as we did not leave the door open but we left the light on - I always leave one on when I leave the room for extended periods to make it appear as though it is occupied. We immediately called the front desk in a panic and the man at reception seemed annoyed and told us that happens when we leave the light on. They did, however, immediately send over someone to clean and vacuum the room and spray around the outside doors. It took about 15 minutes but there was zero evidence of anything amiss when they were finished. Still, we were really put off and wanted a room change, however we were too exhausted to switch rooms and the bug situation seemed completely localized to the floor area, so we sucked it up and stayed the night there. The next morning the maid was in first thing and mopped and changed all the linens. There was absolutely not so much as a single mosquito in the room for the remainder of the trip following that experience. Again, take that situation as you will. We are relatively laid back and attributed the situation to being in a tropical country where there is an ample supply of bug-life, not due to a lack of vigilence in the cleaning service. Again though, it was quite bizarre because the doors and windows appear to seal very well when closed. I suppose the thing to do is just keep the lights off!

Other things to note - always plenty of hot water. Room service is free with the Nolitours package - we ordered it once for a lark and found the selection and quality were no different from what you would find at the buffet. Still, if you're lazy, it's a nice option! ;)

The Food:
We came during off-season, and as a result only one of the buffets was open for breakfast. The main beach buffet is open for lunch but not dinner. The buffet fare was standard for a 4 star resort - some of the items were delicious and some were...not. Always had fresh grilled fish which I ate at every meal...very yummy! There should be something for everyone though - just be prepared to not eat any fresh vegetables for the week. The veggies they do have are steamed to the point that they are like mushy baby food, and nearly everything is deep-fried - including the bacon! Not a resort I would recommend to someone with high cholesterol ;). We went to four of the a la cartes - the Mexican, Steakhouse, Japanese, and the Italian. We had absolutely no problems with reservations - again, this could be due to the fact that it was off-season. The Japanese was REALLY good and the best of the lot. We really found the Italian quite disgusting -however, if you get the pizza it's a little bit more palateable. Steakhouse was ok, but then I ate a burger as I am not a steak fan. My group seemed to enjoy their steaks, however. Note: Everyone I spoke to had a food poisoning situation when eating at the Mexican restaurant. I didn't, though, but my meal turned out to be fried when it arrived at the table whereas other dishes were not. Some got ill from the buffet - but many people seem to ignore the fact that this is an extremely hot climate which means that food can spoil easily! Stay away from anything made with eggs (mayos), dairy (milk, alfredo sauce, etc) or any meat that is improperly cooked (for me, this includes cold cuts). This has been my rule of thumb for years and I have NEVER gotten ill.

The best buffet for lunch is the beach buffet - there is a BBQ pit which seemed to serve exactly the same fare as either of the buffets but was very popular nonetheless.

Snacks at night were actually delicious - served in the lobby buffet and a very wide selection (pizza, taters, toast, cold cuts, fruits and more).

Alcohol:
The negative: Alcohol is now only served until midnight, despite what the brochure told us. We didn't want to drink our faces off, contrary to how it may seem with my complaining about it, however we would like to be able to have a glass of wine past midnight on occasion and the only way to do this is if you go to the casino and gamble - then they will provide drinks. As well, the disco charges for alcohol and will not even let you bring in a drink - they have to be disposed of prior to entry, which was really obnoxious. Also in terms of alcohol, it IS watered down, and I challenge anyone to dispute that. Premium alcohol is available when asked for, though I feel sometimes it was not always provided. Anyway, alcohol situation was not necessarily a major complaint, as the drinks were plentiful and tasty, but still an annoyance nonetheless.

Entertainment:
We went to one show. It was somewhat entertaining for the first 15 minutes, but there were always the same handful of British guys that hogged the stage and acted obnoxious and even rude to the performance staff. Still, if you're there in a big group and prepared to participate, it might be entertaining for you. We went the first night and then avoided the rest of the time.
In terms of daytime entertainment - we never participate and thus can't comment... people seemed to be really enjoying themselves though!

The Beach:
Very nice but not perfect. I was expecting white sand but it was more on the yellow side. Still, it was soft and clean and swept daily, with many available chairs and palapas to choose from. I didn't see any of the annoying "chair-reservers" at this resort - again, could be due to the season, but refreshing nonetheless. The water was warm and clean, and if you brought goggles or snorkling gear (otherwise provided by the resort for free but only for one hour intervals), you would be treated to the sights of schools of tropical fish of all sizes and colors swimming around the rock formations. Speaking of rock formations - they were plentiful. Parents, monitor your children! Better yet, get them water-shoes. We bashed our feet and legs on several occasions. Coral is a problem in the swimming zones. But I spent many an hour floating on my back and soaking up the sun without issue. Could be worse!

Miscellaneous:
Sirenis is at the far end of the Bavaro strip and the only other closest resort is a 40 minute walk down the beach. The resort is Dreams. Go there! It's LOVELY. We walked down one day and took off our wristbands so they couldn't identify that we weren't from that resort, and then wandered around it for the day just soaking in how lovely the grounds and pools were. Dreams, unlike our resort, was pack with people (seemingly all Americans), and seemed to have a very lively atmosphere. The walk to Dreams is the best part though. It's a beautiful walk away from any civilization and makes you really feel the whole tropical experience. Halfway down the beach is a little tourist gift shack - BUY FROM THERE - the items are exactly the same as the gift shops on either immediate side of the resort but you can get them for half the price. We bought a bottle of rum, a necklace, two ornaments for $11. The rum alone at the resort shops is $12-15 and extremely difficult to negotiate.

Speaking of shopping, never have I encountered such aggressive salespeople as I have here - almost (ALMOST) as bad as the vendors in Morocco - which is saying something! They refuse to give prices on individual items to try to get you to buy more and then inflate the price considerably and outrageously - then act horrified if you tell them it's too expensive. (one guy actually tried to sell me a necklace made of shell for $150.00!). They don't force themselves on you in the resort like they do off of it, but one off the hotel vendor "gentleman" told me that I was "the same as all Canadians - lookie lookie, take their time, but no buy." Then turned his back on me in a huff and refused to show me anything else. Huh. Anyway, you're supposed to negotiate and sometimes you can be successful, but it was such a stressful experience! If there is something you need, go to the place I mentioned before. Grab a bottle of Mamajuana while you are at it - delicious and "supposedly" an aphrodisiac ;).

BRING BUG SPRAY...not an issue during the day, but my legs got eaten alive in the evening. There is now malaria in the DR, so it's a good idea to be extra cautious.

That's basically it! VERY long I know. Aside from the horrific service that I have come to love and respect from Air Transat (not), the trip was just great (the airport personel in PC were atrociously rude, and attempt to get money from you when you check in - DON'T GIVE THEM ANY... if you are "over" the baggage limit - which we knew we were not but told we were, tell them you will pay with credit card at the gate and get a receipt. 9/10 you won't have to pay anything and you won't get ripped off). Also, don't count on deals at the duty free stores there - better off purchasing at the resort or from the airline.

All in all, a good resort. Not fantastic, but good. A solid four star. We'll go back to the DR again, but probably try a 5 star next time. It's very true when they say that you get what you pay for!

That's it - lengthy but detailed and I hope it helps!!

Thanks to an amazing couple - K and A - you guys helped make our trip fab!

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Certain aspects of the food, alcohol bevvies ending by 12am
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!