“Dominican Dreams :-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
North Lincs
“Dominican Dreams :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a wonderful two week stay here. We were slightly overwhelmed by the size of the complex as it is much larger than other hotels we have stayed at. The staff (approx. 800), caring for at least 2000 holidaymakers did an amazing job. The food was lovely and we weren't too disappointed not to visit all the gourmet restaurants. We can't praise them highly enough for their care, kindness and ability not to laugh too hard at our attempts to speak Spanish (more of which later!).
Despite the size of the complex we never failed to find a lovely quiet corner to sit and relax if we needed it; either by the pools or on the beach. The groundsmen have done an absolutely wonderful job in maintaining the beautiful grounds and gardens.
Special thanks must go to Franklin on the front desk, Ana Jissel and Ana in the Macao restaurant, Jency and Francisco at the pool bar, the SUPERB Animacion Super! Banana, Black Berry, Ping Pong and Tony Montana (the best Spanish teacher in the world!).
Must do's include the Monster Truck trip, the Catamaran to Saona, Bavaro Splash (Snorkel, Snuba and Speedboat) and the Horse Riding.
We made many friends from America and Canada - hi Brittany and Dave, Cupcake, Tony, Greg, Tim and Karen, Antoinette and Patrick plus a few crazy guys over for a wedding...32!
Had a wonderful time, the hotel had been visited before by some of my work colleagues and we are glad we took their advice and came here.
On a less positive note, the only downside to the holiday was being 'pestered' by the concierges to go for VIP breakfast/dinner. It was nice to see the Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze rooms but we didn't travel all that way to spend all our time and money on oour room; if however you are the sort of person who is interested in that kind of thing then go ahead but be prepared for it taking up at least half a day of your holiday.
Hasta luego and (especially for Tony Montana), Mi esposo esta muy borracho!
See you all again
Ali and Phil Wray

Room Tip: If possible, select a higher floor because we found that being on the ground floor M004, the tiled f...

2,038 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We recently stayed here and had a good time. I will list some feedback I think is most important for this hotel.

Food: The food is here is actually alright for an all inlcusive. We ate at the buffet for breakfast, lunch, and most dinners. Breakfast and lunnch got boring after a few days as the selection is similar each day. We ate at the mexican and japanese theme restaurants and they were much better than the buffet.

Room: Our room was pretty bad. There was a strong odor of mildew. Tiny bugs were everywhere in the room and bathroom. The bed was like sleeping on a piece of plywood. I would say the room was the worst part of our trip. The shower would not work correctly the whole time we were here. We had to use the handheld shower, the rain showerhead would not work.

Liquor: The drinks here were okay for the most part. No top shelf/ name brand drinks unless you paid. Took a lot to get our group to feel a nice buzz.

Staff: The staff here were nice for the most part. We only encountered one staff member who was rude. She was one of the waiters/cleaning staff at the main bar.

Pool: The pool was nice and the water was warm enough. I did find the pool to be to deep. There are many spots were the pool is 6-8 feet deep. I liked taking a long swim throughout the whole pool, but it is large and rest is needed. You can't do that in 6-8 foot water.

Beach: The water was very rough and there was always a rip current present. The winds are very stong at the beach and unless the sun is out, you will be cold.

Location: The drive is about an hour from the airport. The road is kind of rough and made for a poor drive. The nice thing about the location being away from the airport is, you get to see a lot of the countryside and not just the main highway.

All inclusive: I don't feel this place should call itself an all inclusive. They try to nickle and dime you for everything. Lobster, internet, bacardi, drinks at the disco, room service, and more is not included. The resort is not very expensive and I can see why some of these things are not included, but I have simple suggestion for them. Charge $40 per person and add some of these things. It would go along way and would make the resort much better.

For the price this hotel was a good choice. If our room was nicer, I may have even made this review a 4 star.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Dominican six times and must say this resort is wonderful! We arrived close to midnight and were rushed to the front desk to check-in. One of our two rooms had a strong sewer smell, so we called the front desk to ask to be moved to another room. We were told that there were no rooms available until the next day and to check with them then. The next morning when I went to the front desk they told me they had two suites on the Tropical side that we could move at 3pm, great!
Location: This may be the only downfall of the resort. The resort isn’t close to the airport, if you like to see parts of the Dominican than this is for you! However, if you aren’t a fan of driving in the tour bus, be prepared for a long drive.
Rooms: This is where the Tropical and Cocotal side differ. The rooms on the left side are the Tropical rooms and they are bigger than the Cocotal rooms. We had a bathroom, living area, and a bedroom. We were very pleased with the room and the layout was great. On the right are the Cocotal rooms, they're a typical resort room - nothing special, but definitely not horrible. On both sides the rooms had a safe (you have to pay to use it, but I highly recommend it), a minibar that was restocked daily, as well as great housekeeping. The maid's worked very hard to make sure the rooms were clean.
Food: We only ate at the buffet and snack bar. The food was good, we found it to be better than a lot of the resorts we've stayed at.
Pools: The pools were nice, although not very clean. We were there during spring break and students were throwing their cups in the water after finishing their drinks etc. With the cleaning standards around the resort of the resort, I except that other times of the year the pool would be clean as well.
Beach: Beautiful beach, as to be expected in Punta Cana! We spent a fair amount of time on the beach, I went for a run along the beach daily, and we always found a place to sit.
Staff: For the most part all the staff was friendly. As others have mentioned, the management should be pleased with their staff, they work long days and always seem to have a smile on their face...this isn't something that you find at every resort. Towards the end of our stay we didn't even have to ask for drinks at the buffet, the waiters knew what we wanted and brought it as soon as they saw us come in.
Internet: There is wifi available for a fee. They say it’s only available in the lobby and by the pool, however I was very lucky and had a room close enough to be able to pick up the connection in my room. It made using the internet much more convenient and I’m really hoping to be able to do so again this year.
We had such a great time at this resort that we have booked to go back at the end of the month, and have our friends going a couple weeks later. I’d highly recommend this sort to anyone looking for a relaxing week in the sun at a place with good food, friendly staff, and nice accommodations. If you have any questions about the resort, feel free to contact me!
See you in a couple weeks Sirenis Cocotal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lynbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and i just spent a week at the resort and had a fantastic time. The drive to the airport was fine and with so many activities on the resort we stayed on it. The staff are what make the Hotel, always friendly and try to be helpful but I feel a little overwhelmed with the volume of people there. We found the food fine, if you want 5 star food,book and pay for a 5 star vacation. Considering the sheer volume of people being fed we think they done an outstanding job. We had no problem getting dinner reservations at the Steak or Italian restaurant but I have to say the best food was the evening Dominican food was show cased on the buffets. That was fantastic.
Going forward I would advise people to just be rude to the VIP Concierge on your first day or they will torment you every time they see you. A vacation is supposed to be relaxing not trying to find a way to your room so you don't meet them trying to sell time shares. Also the vendors who are brought in are very pushy.
Another surprising fact for us was that the majority of guests were European, primarily Russian followed by Germans and Italians and the issue there is it appears everyone smokes anywhere they want. Be prepared if smoking is an issue for you.
As I said at the beginning the good out weighs the bad. The beach is beautiful. Water activities are available, go on the catamaran, just perfect.
The management should be very impressed with their staff at this hotel, a wonderful group of people

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just returned from a seven day vacation from Feb 22nd to March 1st/2013. We are a family of five with kids 12, 10, almost 8.

There was a 45 min drive to the resort which seemed a bit long but you were able to observe some of the culture and life of Dominican people in the small towns that you passed through.

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and accommodated. Our son has many allergies and we had the manager inform all his chefs (capitans) of his allergies and had fresh gluten / peanut free meals at every sitting. He gave me a note to remind the servers of my son's requirements and it was honoured every time. Food was delicious and the a la cartes were great as well. Our favourites were the Japanese and Italian restaurants.

We were upgraded to a suite once they realized the size of our family without our request. The rooms were beautiful, marble floors, double sinks, Jacuzzi tub, vaulted ceilings, and beautiful view from the balcony. The cleaning / housekeeping service was very good, stocked our fridge daily with water, pop and cervesas. We had some towel origami birds every other day with flowers from the yard.

I didn't feel pressure from the local staff for tips which I found to be bothersome at other resorts. The only issue I had were from the vendors that are allowed to come a couple of times per week, very pushy and very expensive. I called them out on their prices and I was able to talk them down. They do not work for the resort.

We had no rain, steady warm weather. The waterpark was good, wasn't too huge but entertained the kids for the day. There was a smaller section for smaller children and a pool for swimming and cooling off.

The night time entertainment was enjoyable, I especially liked the more cultural dances/performances. The casino is tiny, maybe 25 slots and not sure how many tables as I walked by during the day and no one was inside at the time.

The beach was fantastic, clean and soft. They need to put more chairs out, best bet is to go early in the morning and grab what you need and place your towels down to reserve it.

There were many extracurricular activities during the day like Zumba, water aerobics, archery and volleyball. The fitness centre was not air conditioned like I hoped. The resort gift shop was a bit expensive but I was told the best bang for your buck was at the gift shop left side of the beach (just outside of the resort). You can barter with them and they are very friendly.

I felt very safe with my young family and would definitely come back to this resort again. Hospitality is very important to me and this resort did everything possible to make us feel welcomed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We returned from our wonderful fun filled 24 days at Sirenis, on Feb 24th This was our 5th visit and I was very pleased to see the many improvements since last year. The food was excellent, especially on Thursday when they have lobster tail on the buffet menu. The Beach is beautiful and well maintained with plenty of beach chairs for everyone. The Resort is fortune to have such dedicated employee's who can not do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The large rooms were clean and the only change I was sorry to see was that the computer system on your TV was no longer available. I must say with all honesty I have not been able to find a better value for your money. To show what we mean, we can not wait to go back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocotalbeach, In House Manager at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hello Tom!!
I can see you had a safe trip back to Canada. I was very happy to see you back this year.
Thank you very much again to have the time to reflect your feelings about the resort in the comment you just wrote.
Hope to see you in April like you told me.
I leave you my email to write me as soon as you decide to book.
See you soon.
Assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
Joaquín Mateo
In House Manager
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Before I go on and rate the hotel I need to give all future travelers a hidden gem tip. When walking out on the beach and going to the left, about 10 m, you will soon find yourself near some old turquoise huts where locals are trying to sell you souvenirs. The first one, with the big colorful hammock is actually a seafood restaurant. We were recommended this place by our surfing instructor and honestly it was the best food during the vacation. Fish were taken out of sea, put on the grill and sprinkled with some lemon. Along with a cold beer and the beach under your feet it was my dream scenery come true. It's not part of the hotel, so many people will miss this place having bought the all inclusive package, but I've done my part to tell you it is there!

As far as the hotel goes, in the end we were satisfied with our stay there, however there were some memorable moments along the way. When we arrived, we were told we were getting an upgrade - when we saw the room, we were sure we got the wrong one. Smelly, old and dirty was not our idea of upgrade. We went back to the reception which would not believe something was wrong with the room, after a short discussion though they helped us out and got us a room by the pool - much better, fresher and cleaner and in a good location (i.e. close to everything) so we were happy with that. One particular thing about this room was the fan vs. electricity. When the fan worked, the electricity didn't. We asked to get it fixed several times, but after a few tries, we just went along with it.

Another interesting adventure was when we left our laundry on Monday and got it back (after a somewhat heated discussion) on Thursday, even though we had asked for it during the previous days. This may not seem bad, but we were leaving Friday morning! Turns out, they didn't write down whose laundry it was so it was hanging in the managers office since Tuesday ready to be picked up.

Overall, the staff was mostly very helpful, but some of them acted like we were there on their terms and could maybe count on service. It needs to be pointed out that they were the few ones that didn't get tipped.

We went to explore the resort as I wanted to buy some sunscreen but the lady at the shop told me two bottles for 50 dollars I thought I heard her wrong. A tip is therefore to bring all you need, not because you won't be able to find it but because you will either have to overpay or walk 2 km or so in scorching heat to get something at the nearest "mall". As there is nothing outside those big resorts, they can basically do anything they want.

Also, many guest arrived during our stay and some set out as early as 6 am to book their chair near the pool/beach. You either take part in this ridiculous race or are the last man standing without a place to sunbath. Other than that both the whole area and the pool were kept clean the whole time, during our 7 day stay we didn't see any bugs! Beach was always crowded (near the hotel that is) but beautiful and you can go for very long walks both ways - it just goes on and on. That was a very big plus for me.

As for the food, it was actually not as bad as it tends to be when travelling all inclusive, many meals were pretty good but I have to say breakfast was the best one: all things you can imagine plus more, freshly squeezed juice and omelettes made on the spot. Throughout the day, there was always buffets available so once could snack on anything from fresh fruit and nachos to a full meal. There were also two bars which you could access straight from the pool and they were always crowded. Even though the drinks were a bit cheated, they were nice refreshments during those warm days.

Overall, yes, I would still choose this hotel. It gave us all we needed for this trip - sun, comfort and not moving an inch. Some of those moments that were an annoyance we just went with in the end, and that ended up in a really relaxing stay.

Room Tip: We were in the house nearest the pool, rooms were pretty good, close to everything and not loud at a...
Hello EwaStockholm,
First of all I have to thank you for your review, reflecting that overall you had good holidays with us.
When it comes to food I am happy to hear that you found it quite good. As for the people, it is also nice to know that you found the Dominican people very pleasant and helpful, and this is what really makes the difference.
I can see that you also enjoyed the long walks along the beach, another thing that makes this place remarkable.
I want to invite you to write me if you decide to come back in the future in order to make your satisfying stay a wonderful stay.
Email: assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
Joaquín Mateo
In House Manager

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!