“Great Resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #68 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Halifax, Canada
“Great Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to the Dominican six times and must say this resort is wonderful! We arrived close to midnight and were rushed to the front desk to check-in. One of our two rooms had a strong sewer smell, so we called the front desk to ask to be moved to another room. We were told that there were no rooms available until the next day and to check with them then. The next morning when I went to the front desk they told me they had two suites on the Tropical side that we could move at 3pm, great!
Location: This may be the only downfall of the resort. The resort isn’t close to the airport, if you like to see parts of the Dominican than this is for you! However, if you aren’t a fan of driving in the tour bus, be prepared for a long drive.
Rooms: This is where the Tropical and Cocotal side differ. The rooms on the left side are the Tropical rooms and they are bigger than the Cocotal rooms. We had a bathroom, living area, and a bedroom. We were very pleased with the room and the layout was great. On the right are the Cocotal rooms, they're a typical resort room - nothing special, but definitely not horrible. On both sides the rooms had a safe (you have to pay to use it, but I highly recommend it), a minibar that was restocked daily, as well as great housekeeping. The maid's worked very hard to make sure the rooms were clean.
Food: We only ate at the buffet and snack bar. The food was good, we found it to be better than a lot of the resorts we've stayed at.
Pools: The pools were nice, although not very clean. We were there during spring break and students were throwing their cups in the water after finishing their drinks etc. With the cleaning standards around the resort of the resort, I except that other times of the year the pool would be clean as well.
Beach: Beautiful beach, as to be expected in Punta Cana! We spent a fair amount of time on the beach, I went for a run along the beach daily, and we always found a place to sit.
Staff: For the most part all the staff was friendly. As others have mentioned, the management should be pleased with their staff, they work long days and always seem to have a smile on their face...this isn't something that you find at every resort. Towards the end of our stay we didn't even have to ask for drinks at the buffet, the waiters knew what we wanted and brought it as soon as they saw us come in.
Internet: There is wifi available for a fee. They say it’s only available in the lobby and by the pool, however I was very lucky and had a room close enough to be able to pick up the connection in my room. It made using the internet much more convenient and I’m really hoping to be able to do so again this year.
We had such a great time at this resort that we have booked to go back at the end of the month, and have our friends going a couple weeks later. I’d highly recommend this sort to anyone looking for a relaxing week in the sun at a place with good food, friendly staff, and nice accommodations. If you have any questions about the resort, feel free to contact me!
See you in a couple weeks Sirenis Cocotal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Polish first
Lynbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and i just spent a week at the resort and had a fantastic time. The drive to the airport was fine and with so many activities on the resort we stayed on it. The staff are what make the Hotel, always friendly and try to be helpful but I feel a little overwhelmed with the volume of people there. We found the food fine, if you want 5 star food,book and pay for a 5 star vacation. Considering the sheer volume of people being fed we think they done an outstanding job. We had no problem getting dinner reservations at the Steak or Italian restaurant but I have to say the best food was the evening Dominican food was show cased on the buffets. That was fantastic.
Going forward I would advise people to just be rude to the VIP Concierge on your first day or they will torment you every time they see you. A vacation is supposed to be relaxing not trying to find a way to your room so you don't meet them trying to sell time shares. Also the vendors who are brought in are very pushy.
Another surprising fact for us was that the majority of guests were European, primarily Russian followed by Germans and Italians and the issue there is it appears everyone smokes anywhere they want. Be prepared if smoking is an issue for you.
As I said at the beginning the good out weighs the bad. The beach is beautiful. Water activities are available, go on the catamaran, just perfect.
The management should be very impressed with their staff at this hotel, a wonderful group of people

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I highly recommend Sirens Tropical Suites!! We have travelled quite a bit and this is the hotel that we would return to every year! The food is outstanding, the staff go out of their way to assist you in anyway they can, and the suites are very large and comfortable!

The assistant manager is Joaquin Mateo [assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com] and he does everything that he can for you! I emailed him before we left and he introduced himself when we checked in at the hotel! He is on top of everything and does a great job! We had a group of 10 and Joaquin was outstanding!

The beach and pool are fantastic and you are not beside other hotels like Bavaro Beach so you have miles of sand uninterrupted by other hotels and other people. The sand is excellent for running and walking (hard sand)!

We will definitely be returning and we loved the place!

Room Tip: We stayed in "I" building and it was perfectly located between the beach and the dining ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
tropicalsuitescasino, In House Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hello Cindy,
I am very happy to hear that the whole party had a brilliant time with us and even happier to know that you will return every year.
You have my contact to write me as soon as you plan your next trip in order to make sure everything goes as good as this past time.
See you soon.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Travelled for 1 week Mar 2-9th with my husband, my father-in-law and his girlfriend, my brother and sister-in-law and their 5 and 7 year old boys.
We have been to 2 other AIs in Punta Cana (Bahia Principe and The Grand Palladium) and to other AIs in Mexico, Cuba and Jamaica. I read a huge number of the previous reviews for this resort beforehand.
My brother and sister-in-law have been to the Sirenis in the Mayan Riviera, which they loved and was the reason for booking this trip.
We all stayed in 'junior suites' in the O block.
The resort is a solid hour and 15 minute bus ride from the airport.

Resort grounds: Beautiful and well kept. One of the best features of this resort. Lovely gardens, clean and well maintained walkways, well lit at night. There are a few peacocks wandering around the resort - a great novelty for the kids.

Beach/Pool: We had two red flag days and one yellow flag day. Adults and good swimmers can definitely still swim in the designated area those days, but there can be a decent undertow. There are a few rocky areas with a little coral where people were snorkelling and seeing a few fish, otherwise the beach was clean and the sand was soft. You could walk a good distance either way on the beach and unlike Punta Cana proper, where you get resort after resort, the Sirenis is rather isolated. There are a few shops/ vendors along each stretch of beach - and as described in many previous reviews they will relentlessly harass you to visit their shops and buy.
The pool extends to both side of the Cocotal and Tropical Sides - the Tropical Side is quieter, as the majority of the games go on at the Cocotal Side.

Rooms:
Spacious. Dated. Bug infested. Many previous reviews reported extremely hard beds - in our block at least, they have added pillow top mattresses. The sheets and pillows were clean. The bedspreads, decorative pillows and curtains all visibly stained and very old. The bathroom was terrible. Old, moldy tiles that have been sloppily re-grouted countless times. Broken toilet, bathtub that didn't drain, and while one of our rooms had a renovated rain shower head and a glass door, our room had an old and very low shower head and cheap shower curtain that blew inward and stuck to you when showering - gross.
Cockroaches in 2 of 3 rooms and in ours, tiny spiders all over everything.
Fridges were stocked with beer, water and pop daily. We had to unplug the fridge to use the coffee maker.
Our room was never made up before 4pm.

Food: Basically, what we expected. Buffets (exactly the same on either side of the resort): Lot's of variety if you're willing to try new things. Seafood at buffets will always be overcooked, so expect nothing more. I eat mostly vegetarian and felt satisfied with my options. There are lots of standard north american options for picky eaters or less adventurous kids. I read a previous review reporting the buffet to smell like garbage. When we first arrived, we went to the buffet late-night and I smelled it too. I soon realized it's actually the smell of the water in the warming trays. The water is non-potable and does have an unpleasant aroma.
The beach grill: lots of people enjoying this option for lunch. Couldn't do it myself after I saw the cook using the same tongs to transfer raw chicken and hamburgers to the grill and immediately afterward take the cooked meat off the grilled to put on someone's buns.
Two out of 8 in our party got sick, one pretty severely, with food poisoning.
A-la-cartes:
Jade (japanese): really good show, fun for the kids and adults. The food is standard, meat and rice in oil and soy sauce. The deep fried ice cream was a hit for dessert.
Steak House: In our party, the strip loin and tenderloin were ordered. The tenderloin, medium was decent. A couple of people ordered well done - completely charred and inedible.
Italian: It's all pseudo-italian food, as I've come to expect from all a-la-cartes at AIs. Frozen stuffed pastas, their versions of 'risotto' and 'minestrone' - nothing terrible, nothing great. Something different than the buffet, but no better quality.

Service: Extremely variable. I found some staff to be engaging and friendly, while others were flat out rude. We would have to search for our own coffee cups and coffee at breakfast some days, while others we would be refilled before our cups were half empty. Overall impression is they lack the number of staff needed to keep the tables cleaned and ready for new guests. Our whole family tipped the staff throughout our stay, but we noticed the vast majority of people did not and I really don't think it made a difference in service. In the main lobby which is always very busy, we could never get service to order drinks. Staff would come to clear glasses, but would avoid eye contact to avoid taking new orders. The same on the beach, where we even tried tipping (to no avail) to get service.

Entertainment and Shows: So much going on throughout the day here. If you're not the type to just chill out on a lounger by the pool or beach, there is always something to do and the schedule is posted on a big board by the pool. The animation team members are fun, energetic and friendly and really make an effort to show guests a good time. The shows are cheesy and contain questionable content for young ones. (example: the first night we went to the Miss Sirenis show, where there was an interlude soap opera skit that featured a double murder/suicide. So inappropriate for kids. They were asking questions about it all week.) They loved Michael Jackson show though.

Vendors: As previous reviews report, vendors set up Tuesday and Saturday along the main walkway to the buffet, and they are impossible to bypass. We found if we walked straight through and said 'no thank you' we weren't too bothered. If you dared to stop and look at something, it was really hard to get away. We were called in our room twice to come for a VIP breakfast for the timeshare pitch, we said 'not interested' and got a quick hang up. We were not bothered for it otherwise. Vendors on the beach stop to ask you about excursions multiple times a day, a 'no thank you' will send them on their way, but won't stop them from asking you again. The hotel staff also come by every day with parrots, monkeys and snakes to take photos with. The kids loved this. Taking the photos are no cost, they're $9 to buy in the main lobby by the buffet. There is just way too much soliciting for extras at this place, it's exhausting. In addition, my brother-in-law got scammed in to paying $20 for 2 Hobie Cat rides with his boys that another family told us they got for free.

My husband and I went on one excursion - bus ride (90 minutes) through Higuey and La Romana to the Caribbean side of the country for a boat ride and snorkelling trip to Catalina Island. Lunch included. It was OK. Seeing the country/ city was interesting. The snorkelling was good for fish, not great for coral. The beach and lunch were no different that the resort other than the colour of the water.

6 of us spend one whole day at the Aquagames (waterpark) portion of the resort which is about a 5 minute walk from the main lobby (on the resort). The cost for adults is $30 per day and for kids, $15. There is a lunch buffet and a basic bar included in the park. We loved that we didn't get solicited to buy extras here and that is wasn't quite as busy as the resort.
There are several slides they are not meant for kids under 8, but both of my nephews still has a great time. The adults went on a few of the slides too, my husband and brother-in-law both felt a couple of the slides were just unsafe after getting hurt on them themselves.
Overall, it's a fun day off the resort, but too expensive in my opinion for people that are already paying to be there. Especially for adults, who are not really making use of the park other than to entertain their kids.

Overall, I would not recommend this resort. The small details that I've described may seem nit-picky but all of those small things really added up for us, and because we booked for the whole family in advance we didn't get a great last-minute deal either. We managed to have a great vacation because of the great weather, the beach and spending some great quality time with our family. At the end of the day that's what it's all about. If you've already booked this resort, read some reviews and prepare yourself - you can still have a great time if you know what to expect. If you're looking to book somewhere in Punta Cana, book somewhere else. We had a better experience at both Bahia and Palladium.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
tropicalsuitescasino, In House Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello Millsem,
I am very happy to know that overall you had a good time at the resort.
I also have to say that I am taking all your comments very seriously in order to improve the service that we offer.
Please do not hesitate to write me at assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss personally any of the issues you mention in your review.
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just returned from a seven day vacation from Feb 22nd to March 1st/2013. We are a family of five with kids 12, 10, almost 8.

There was a 45 min drive to the resort which seemed a bit long but you were able to observe some of the culture and life of Dominican people in the small towns that you passed through.

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and accommodated. Our son has many allergies and we had the manager inform all his chefs (capitans) of his allergies and had fresh gluten / peanut free meals at every sitting. He gave me a note to remind the servers of my son's requirements and it was honoured every time. Food was delicious and the a la cartes were great as well. Our favourites were the Japanese and Italian restaurants.

We were upgraded to a suite once they realized the size of our family without our request. The rooms were beautiful, marble floors, double sinks, Jacuzzi tub, vaulted ceilings, and beautiful view from the balcony. The cleaning / housekeeping service was very good, stocked our fridge daily with water, pop and cervesas. We had some towel origami birds every other day with flowers from the yard.

I didn't feel pressure from the local staff for tips which I found to be bothersome at other resorts. The only issue I had were from the vendors that are allowed to come a couple of times per week, very pushy and very expensive. I called them out on their prices and I was able to talk them down. They do not work for the resort.

We had no rain, steady warm weather. The waterpark was good, wasn't too huge but entertained the kids for the day. There was a smaller section for smaller children and a pool for swimming and cooling off.

The night time entertainment was enjoyable, I especially liked the more cultural dances/performances. The casino is tiny, maybe 25 slots and not sure how many tables as I walked by during the day and no one was inside at the time.

The beach was fantastic, clean and soft. They need to put more chairs out, best bet is to go early in the morning and grab what you need and place your towels down to reserve it.

There were many extracurricular activities during the day like Zumba, water aerobics, archery and volleyball. The fitness centre was not air conditioned like I hoped. The resort gift shop was a bit expensive but I was told the best bang for your buck was at the gift shop left side of the beach (just outside of the resort). You can barter with them and they are very friendly.

I felt very safe with my young family and would definitely come back to this resort again. Hospitality is very important to me and this resort did everything possible to make us feel welcomed.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We returned from our wonderful fun filled 24 days at Sirenis, on Feb 24th This was our 5th visit and I was very pleased to see the many improvements since last year. The food was excellent, especially on Thursday when they have lobster tail on the buffet menu. The Beach is beautiful and well maintained with plenty of beach chairs for everyone. The Resort is fortune to have such dedicated employee's who can not do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The large rooms were clean and the only change I was sorry to see was that the computer system on your TV was no longer available. I must say with all honesty I have not been able to find a better value for your money. To show what we mean, we can not wait to go back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocotalbeach, In House Manager at Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hello Tom!!
I can see you had a safe trip back to Canada. I was very happy to see you back this year.
Thank you very much again to have the time to reflect your feelings about the resort in the comment you just wrote.
Hope to see you in April like you told me.
I leave you my email to write me as soon as you decide to book.
See you soon.
Assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com
Alliston, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My family just returned from 1 week at the Sirenis Tropical. We were travelling with 2 children age 3 and 5 months so I emailed ahead of time to request a room near the beach and pool and also a crib for our baby. We received a prompt reply from Jana and when we arrived we were greeted by her and all of our requests were followed through on. Our room was in S building which is a fantastic location. The rooms are very clean and any little maintenance that needed to be done was done promptly. The beds are hard but we slept well! The playpen provided for our daughter was new and in excellent condition.
The best assets of this hotel are the pool, the grounds and the beach. All are beautiful and well maintained. The pool is excellent for young children as it slopes in like a beach and has a shallow ledge for the kids to play on. The water temperature was also perfect. The Tropical poolside was much quieter than the Cocotal side but you can use either.
The buffets were the only disappointment. We have travelled quite extensively and would expect more from a hotel in Punta Cana. That being said we enjoyed our meals at the steakhouse, Mexican and Japanese a la cartes. We found the hotel staff to not be as friendly and outgoing as people have stated on here but we had no issues. We found the hotel to be very populated with French people from both France and Quebec, which created a bit of a language barrier around the pool.
We spent one day at the waterpark. It is well worth the money especially if you have older children that can use all of the slides. The change rooms are immaculate and the buffet food is good. Beer is also included for the price you pay. Through the hotel you pay $30 for adults and $15 for kids. This is less than what we were quoted before we went, so purchase tickets when you arrive at the hotel. They also have half days available from 1-5 pm.
We were never harassed by the time share people as others have stated. The market vendors on Tuesdays and Saturdays are worth checking out if you want souvenirs but be prepared to barter as they will start off with ridiculous prices. There is a lobster dinner at the beach on wednesday nights that you can pay extra to attend.
All in all it was a great vacation but because of the food we would probably not return.

Room Tip: S block is a fantastic location near the pool and the beach.
Hello 71Mommy2,
Thank you very much for your review letting everyone to know how you spent your holidays with us.
I am very happy to see that you enjoyed our waterpark what gives the hotel an extra value that no other hotel has in the Caribbean.
Regarding your issue with the food is good to know that you enjoyed our restaurants a la carte as well as the food at the water park.
As you know, it is very difficult to please everyone at the buffets but we are continuously looking for ways to improve the quality and the variety of them, in order to increase the satisfaction of our customers.
Please do not hesitate to write me at assistdir.dom@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any issue in a more personal way.
In House Manager

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!