“Sirenis - Just what we expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames

You added Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #66 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tomahawk
“Sirenis - Just what we expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Just got back from the Sirenis Cocotal. We traveled from MSP from Mar.22-29.We had 11 people with us. Were 1 hour late departing MSP as we had to deice the plane so our arrival at the hotel was also late. The hotel staff were waiting for us when we arrived with a welcome drink in their hand. Some of our rooms were not available when we arrived and we were all not to happy with that as we were late. Rooms were all ready within an hour or so. We went with Apple vacations and the hotel knew you by the gold wrist band you wore. They even had a welcome cocktail party for Apple vacationers, the had drinks and hors de veres, and even came looking for us when we couldn't find when it was being held. Thought that was nice.
Rooms were ok as said in some of the reviews we thought our air conditioner did not really keep the room as cool as we wanted but we just ran the fan every night. Lots of closet room and the bathroom were nice. Our toliet had to flushed 2 times everytime you used it but then it seemed to work. We were in building I 101. Has a view of the pool. We were kinda of upset when all 11 of us were in different buildings when we all booked together. and really early (Dec.2007).
Found the buffet was good. We only ate 1 day at the beach as we found the food to be overcooked. So ate at the buffet at the beach everyday. Ate at the Steak,Seafood and Jade resturants, found the food was good at all 3 places.
The guys that ran the games by the pool really worked hard. They made sure they'd stop and talk to all of us everyday in the BAT CAVE as we called our place in the shade.
The swim up bar on the Cocotal side of the hotel seemed to make the drinks very strong. But if you showed them how much booze you wanted they would listen. Some in our party really never found a drink we really like. The Irish Creme they call Mollys was pretty good.
As started in some of the other reviews the hotel is far away from everything so we all stayed there for the entire week, and by the end of the week some of us were bored.
The entertainment was ok only went to 2 shows. But you could tell they worked very hard.
This was me and my husbands 6th time to DR and would say this was about number 3,as we were at a Iberostar in LaRomana which was better. Also had been to Puerto Plata 3 times. With one stay at the Bahia San Juan which we thought was also better.
All in all a good time was had by all and would recommend this resort.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — hot room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Polish first
Ambler, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed at Serenis from March 24-29th. The drive to the hotel was long so make sure you pack a chance of cool, comffy clothing. When we got there we were greeted with a cool drink and our belonging were brought to our room. The weather was hot and sunny the entire time. It never rained and there were no bugs. Get up early to get a spot at one of the shaded huts by the pool. I would even reccomend getting a new beach towel when you turns yours in for the evening and reserving your chair the night before. All of the employees work really hard to make sure you have a nice stay. The rooms were pretty average and very clean. I would reccomend brining your own pillow and if you are going to get up early to do activities bring a clock beacause the rooms do not have them. The food at Jade (hibatchi) and the Italian rest. were good. I would not reccomend the seafood. The breakfast buffets were good, but I felt the lunch menu needed some work. I survived on cheeseburgers and pizzas. (How American of me?) The lunch menu was not what I was use to. Sign up for your meals AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE beacause if its crowded your going to end up eating at 9:00 pm. We did the snorkeling excursion and the zip lines. Zip lines were AWESOME but as for the snorkeling I wouldnt waste your money. If you have never been before go for it, however, its not the best snorkeling with the most attractice scenery.
If you are looking for a nice realxing vacation with or without your children, this is a nice place to go for a good price. Don't forget to tip all of the hard working employees because they do deserve it. You will see them there from morning until night!

• Liked — Anything you needed they were willing to get for you.
  • Disliked — They need to add more variety to the food at the restaurants.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Llanwnda, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I have just got back from a wonderful one-week holiday at the sirenis and I wish it could have lasted longer! These are the main points but if I forget to cover anything then don't hesitate to drop me a line and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Accommodation
The hotel is supposedly a five star, but by British standards I'd say it is more of a four star (we were aware of this before we booked as it was listed as a four star in our travel brochure). But I was very pleased with the standard of our rooms, everything was reasonably clean, the beds were comfy and wonderful fluffy pillows. Our remote control stopped working after a few days but I'm sure if it bothered us we could have asked for another. Our room number was F003 which is on the ground floor very close to reception. I wouldn't say it mattered very much which block you are allocated to - ours was great because it was close to the buffet restaurants and bars, but then again if we had been allocated to a block further away it would have been great for the beach/pool. All rooms have a nice view, either of the pool or of the gardens which are beautiful.

Breakfast was good, you could have whatever you fancied really. But as a true Brit I did miss baked beans which I noticed were missing from the buffet! You must get a fruit smoothie they are so fresh and delicious. Lunch is down by the pool, I preferred it even to the buffet dinner because they barbacue fresh meat and fish which is great, served with salads, pastas, rices etc. Or alternatively you can have chips (fries for all you americans!) The dinner buffet was ok, again a good selection. I was very content with the pasta bar myself. In between meals you may have ice-cream/crepes down at the pool if you have a sweet tooth, and burgers/fries are also served, and nachos too.
We didn't bother with many of the a la carte restaurants, we visited the mexican on our second day and it was terrible. However, the Jade (the japanese) is a MUST you will see why when you get there, I hear the Italian is also good. I would even pay to eat at the Jade so as part of the all inclusive facilities it was excellent. Do book early though as these two restaurants are by far the most popular.

Drink
By this category I'm referring to drinks of the alcoholic variety! I tried the beer which was reasonably decent, not as strong as ordinary beer but it didn't taste watery at all it was actually quite refreshing. I didn't think much of their wine but then again I'm quite fussy. Cocktails were a delight there was a good cocktail list and they were very generous when it came to measures! At the bars this was usually the drink of choice for most of the guests!

Entertainment
I must commend the entertainment team they were absolutely brilliant and worked so hard to make everyone feel welcome. During the day there would be some entertainment by the pool, and some aqua-aerobics if you can be bothered! The evening entertaiment was superb, professional dancers, magicians and a few funny characters! It only lasts an hour but it breaks up the evening as there is nothing to do outside the resort come evening time.

We always recieved good service. All the staff will greet you even as you walk past them so be sure to practice your 'hola' before going! Our favourite bar man was Yovanni who was at the swim up bar he was great although we did have to ask him to make our cocktails a little less strong! Our maid was also great although she would visit quite early in the morning she would happily return later in the day when we asked her.

Excursions
We visited Saona island which I'd definitely recommend (although it rained!), it was a true caribbean retreat. We also took the horse riding trip along the beach (this can be booked next to where you collect beach towels), also highly recommended. I wouldn't recommend taking this the day before you fly though, your rear end will take a good few days to recover if like me you are out of practice or are a beginner! The Saona island trip was booked through our travel agent which was Thomas Cook. If you do travel though Thomas Cook, the reps are absolutely fantastic especially Carly who is a yorkshire lass.

We spent most of our time during the day at the pool, I'm not much a fan of sand and it was so convenient having the swim up bar close by. Please take plenty of sun tan lotion before you go, although myself and my sister thought that two bottles would be plenty for a week, we ended up going through two more and they are a little more pricey at the hotel shops. And of course mosquite repellent as it is a tropical country.

I'm sure all who visit the sirenis in the future will have a wonderful time as we have had!

• Liked — Great all inclusive facilities
  • Disliked — Sometimes a bit difficult to get sun loungers when the hotel gets busy
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Whitby, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed at the Sirenis Tropical Suites from March 2 until March 13, 2008. We were very pleased with the resort despite having read some of the reviews. Either the people complaining were at some other resort or they are just chronic complainers, as we did not encounter any of the problems that they wrote about.
The ride from the airport is long but it was no big deal. Once we arrived, the check in process was fast and efficient. The bellboy took our luggage to our rooms immediately.
The resort is well laid out and definitely not huge like some of the resorts in the Punta Cana area. You could enjoy a leisurely walk to all amenities at this resort, which is extremely well kept and very pretty. The staff are always working to keep everything clean. They are always smiling or singing and never pass by you without saying Hola. The animation staff are fun and you can get involved with their activities if you want or just say no thanks and they will leave you alone.
Our adult children joined us for the first week of our vacation. They had so much fun that when it was time to go home, they were very sad. Our daughter's boyfriend had never been to an all inclusive resort and he had the best time ever. He got involved with the activities, had so much fun and can hardly wait to go away again next year. They are already saving for it.
The pool was lovely and very well kept. The beach was great too. During the time we were there, the ocean was fairly calm. You could walk the beach for miles in either direction. It is not very developed in this area and the beach is just naturally beautiful. The food at the resort was great. We have travelled to many resorts and this resort has had the best food by far. We enjoyed the a' la carte restaurants but were just as pleased with the buffet. They even had lobster and shrimp at the buffet one night. The beach grill had wonderful chicken but the hamburgers were pretty good too.
The resort allows vendors to come in every other evening. We found these people to be over priced and pretty rude for the most part. We visited the beach vendors on either side of the resort and found the souvenirs we wanted for alot less money. I found the vendors to the right of the resort to be a little more aggessive than the ones to the left. We had some good laughs with the vendors to the left. We met the twin brothers Paul and Ramon who have the ATV's, deep sea fishing, etc. They were wonderful to talk to. We didn't book any excursions but would not have hesitated if that was what we were looking for. We walked down the beach one night when the locals had a bonfire going. They were fishing and having a good time. They welcomed us, showed our son how they fish with their water bottle and fishing line. They let my son try it and he caught a little crab. Paul and Ramon are business men who want people to have a good time and feel safe. That is what keeps a good business going. We went back the next day and finished our shopping with Ramon's help. I look forward to going back to the Sirenis Tropical and visiting with the twin brothers again someday.
As I said, we have been to lots of resorts and this one is definitely worth a return trip.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

March 28, Toronto, Canada
We have just returned from Punta Cana.
Based on posted reviews we defined this resort as one of the best of Punta Cana. And frankly Trip Advisor reviews were always a base for me to find a place to get away. Unfortunately, not at this time.
Overall, resort itself is not bad: clean with good, but not best beach. And that's all.
1.It was over crowded so badly that if you want to take a place on the beach - you have to wake up at 6:00 a.m. I did not see such a thing in Cuba, Mexico,Panama, Costa Rica where I have been for last 7 years.
2.Everybody knows: to take a place on the beach you have to leave beach towel of smth else on the beach chair. It was not safe enough to do so on that resort : some peoples found their towels stolen ( for each stolen towel you have to pay $20).
3.Not just towels were stolen on the beach but such a things as SUN LOTION, other belongings ( small ones).
Is that sound good?
4. Maid who was cleaning up my suite stole some of my wife's make up things and did not admit it at all.
5.Our last day incident was pretty awful :
when we left our room we forgot to take from the fridge a can of Russian caviar which was presented us by friend of mine from France who I met on this resort. When my wife came back to our suite in 10 min to check, maid who was there that time said she did not see anything, After my wife warned her about management will know about this - maid returned back this can but it was OPENED!!! I never had before such a bad experience.
Even in Cuba where service in many resorts is not that good - it was never happened such as this disgusting thing.
6.Food was not bad but so boring, I mean repetitive : every day - the same. 6 restaurants with specific menu as Italian, Japanese etc.- just funny for 5 stars resort.
7. Water. They supply water in bottles to drink. I have a good stomach, my wife - too. After 2 days drinking that water we felt bad. When we quit to drink that water trying to have juices and fruits only, even Coke although I never drink it in Canada - we were OK.

As this was my first trip to Dominican Republic - I will never ever visit this country again.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — all
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Last year (March 07), was my first time to Punta Cana. We stayed at Barcelo Premium. I thought THAT was amazing until I stayed at the Sirenis Tropical this March!

We stayed on the Tropical (Suites) side, but had a chance to see one of the Sirenis Cocotal rooms - and they are equally as nice - just no separate living area.

The resort seems to be a bit older than the Barcelo - but it in no way lacks for anything (except for the electrical outlets - required converter for some hair appliances, while others worked OK - depends on the appliance).

I was most impressed by the grounds - they were extremely beautiful and well-cared for. The attention to detail did not stop there. Staff were constantly cleaning, tidying, organizing - everyone from the gardeners to the managers took great pride in maintaining this resort. Everywhere was service with a smile and if you can learn a bit of Spanish before you go, the staff love to chat! Security was fabulous. There was one instance where a guest started to get a little loud (one in every crowd!) and the security was on the spot from no where and diffusing the situation. (Hope this is OK to post, but I feel it is very important).

The food was great. Last year, didn't find the food bad, but didn't find it anything to rave about. Here at the Sirenis - even the buffet was appetizing and had a great variety each nite. The al a carte restaurants were also great - we had the Italian, the Mexican and the Japanese. Note re the a la carte - you can only book one per day per room - so go early when guest services opens.

The maid service was exceptional. Fresh flowers every nite, lots of fancy folded towels (which we did not get last year at Barcelo). I am very partial to a clean room when travelling, and the fact that I could smell the bleach (or whatever they used to clean with) when I came back to room before dinner was heaven to me! Not a hair or sand in site in the bathroom!

Don't be put off by the drive from the airport (approx 60 - 75 mins). It really isn't that bad, and it's well worth it!

We had one request when we first arrived. We had asked our travel agent to book us a second floor room. Of course, when we got there, we had a first floor room. We put in our request the first night for a change and were told to come back the next day. The next day, we were told to come back the next day! The next day, after being told again - we invoked the help of our tour rep - and had a new room within three hours.

So, if you were to ask me if I would stay at this resort again - I've already registered my VIP card for next year! Ask about it from guest services when you go! Oh, and try the Sirenis specialty drink - a creamsicle with a punch!

• Liked — The attention to every detail, large and small, evidenced by all levels of staff
  • Disliked — Electrical plugs - could have been a problem if we didn't have our converter
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Blaine, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

A great beach, you can walk either way until your hearts content. The water was calm a few days and rough the remainder. I stayed 9 nights (3/14-3/23). This was my (and my wifes) 5th trip back to the DR. I am not sure you could ask for more. Sure the beds aren't as comfortable as your own, but by the time you hit the hay (if you do it right) it shouldn't matter. Ask for premium booze by name (i.e. Tanqueray, Stoli) and make sure to hit the disco. It was lively EVERY night (open 11pm-2am). Food was decent to good. The swim-up bars are a lot of fun. We (group of 6) took the trip to Saona. It was my wife and I's 2nd time back as that is where we were engaged 7 years ago. Sure it is a longer day, but worth every penny (around $90USD/person). If you are looking for lobster, book the gourmet ($35 if you are not a VIP), but the food and service was the best by far. The gourmet restaurant will be quiet (most likely only a few tables), so if you are looking for a good meal, quiet and airconditioned, I recommend it. If you are afraid of the shops on either end, just walk in the water in front of them on your way by, they have shoes and pants on so they won't get too close. I enjoy the barter game, but thats just me. Cheers.

• Liked — Beach, and the Swim-up bar(s).
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sirenis Punta Cana Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!