“Sirenis - Just what we expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #60 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Tomahawk
“Sirenis - Just what we expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Just got back from the Sirenis Cocotal. We traveled from MSP from Mar.22-29.We had 11 people with us. Were 1 hour late departing MSP as we had to deice the plane so our arrival at the hotel was also late. The hotel staff were waiting for us when we arrived with a welcome drink in their hand. Some of our rooms were not available when we arrived and we were all not to happy with that as we were late. Rooms were all ready within an hour or so. We went with Apple vacations and the hotel knew you by the gold wrist band you wore. They even had a welcome cocktail party for Apple vacationers, the had drinks and hors de veres, and even came looking for us when we couldn't find when it was being held. Thought that was nice.
Rooms were ok as said in some of the reviews we thought our air conditioner did not really keep the room as cool as we wanted but we just ran the fan every night. Lots of closet room and the bathroom were nice. Our toliet had to flushed 2 times everytime you used it but then it seemed to work. We were in building I 101. Has a view of the pool. We were kinda of upset when all 11 of us were in different buildings when we all booked together. and really early (Dec.2007).
Found the buffet was good. We only ate 1 day at the beach as we found the food to be overcooked. So ate at the buffet at the beach everyday. Ate at the Steak,Seafood and Jade resturants, found the food was good at all 3 places.
The guys that ran the games by the pool really worked hard. They made sure they'd stop and talk to all of us everyday in the BAT CAVE as we called our place in the shade.
The swim up bar on the Cocotal side of the hotel seemed to make the drinks very strong. But if you showed them how much booze you wanted they would listen. Some in our party really never found a drink we really like. The Irish Creme they call Mollys was pretty good.
As started in some of the other reviews the hotel is far away from everything so we all stayed there for the entire week, and by the end of the week some of us were bored.
The entertainment was ok only went to 2 shows. But you could tell they worked very hard.
This was me and my husbands 6th time to DR and would say this was about number 3,as we were at a Iberostar in LaRomana which was better. Also had been to Puerto Plata 3 times. With one stay at the Bahia San Juan which we thought was also better.
All in all a good time was had by all and would recommend this resort.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — hot room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Ambler, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed at Serenis from March 24-29th. The drive to the hotel was long so make sure you pack a chance of cool, comffy clothing. When we got there we were greeted with a cool drink and our belonging were brought to our room. The weather was hot and sunny the entire time. It never rained and there were no bugs. Get up early to get a spot at one of the shaded huts by the pool. I would even reccomend getting a new beach towel when you turns yours in for the evening and reserving your chair the night before. All of the employees work really hard to make sure you have a nice stay. The rooms were pretty average and very clean. I would reccomend brining your own pillow and if you are going to get up early to do activities bring a clock beacause the rooms do not have them. The food at Jade (hibatchi) and the Italian rest. were good. I would not reccomend the seafood. The breakfast buffets were good, but I felt the lunch menu needed some work. I survived on cheeseburgers and pizzas. (How American of me?) The lunch menu was not what I was use to. Sign up for your meals AS SOON AS YOU GET THERE beacause if its crowded your going to end up eating at 9:00 pm. We did the snorkeling excursion and the zip lines. Zip lines were AWESOME but as for the snorkeling I wouldnt waste your money. If you have never been before go for it, however, its not the best snorkeling with the most attractice scenery.
If you are looking for a nice realxing vacation with or without your children, this is a nice place to go for a good price. Don't forget to tip all of the hard working employees because they do deserve it. You will see them there from morning until night!

• Liked — Anything you needed they were willing to get for you.
  • Disliked — They need to add more variety to the food at the restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Llanwnda, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I have just got back from a wonderful one-week holiday at the sirenis and I wish it could have lasted longer! These are the main points but if I forget to cover anything then don't hesitate to drop me a line and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Accommodation
The hotel is supposedly a five star, but by British standards I'd say it is more of a four star (we were aware of this before we booked as it was listed as a four star in our travel brochure). But I was very pleased with the standard of our rooms, everything was reasonably clean, the beds were comfy and wonderful fluffy pillows. Our remote control stopped working after a few days but I'm sure if it bothered us we could have asked for another. Our room number was F003 which is on the ground floor very close to reception. I wouldn't say it mattered very much which block you are allocated to - ours was great because it was close to the buffet restaurants and bars, but then again if we had been allocated to a block further away it would have been great for the beach/pool. All rooms have a nice view, either of the pool or of the gardens which are beautiful.

Breakfast was good, you could have whatever you fancied really. But as a true Brit I did miss baked beans which I noticed were missing from the buffet! You must get a fruit smoothie they are so fresh and delicious. Lunch is down by the pool, I preferred it even to the buffet dinner because they barbacue fresh meat and fish which is great, served with salads, pastas, rices etc. Or alternatively you can have chips (fries for all you americans!) The dinner buffet was ok, again a good selection. I was very content with the pasta bar myself. In between meals you may have ice-cream/crepes down at the pool if you have a sweet tooth, and burgers/fries are also served, and nachos too.
We didn't bother with many of the a la carte restaurants, we visited the mexican on our second day and it was terrible. However, the Jade (the japanese) is a MUST you will see why when you get there, I hear the Italian is also good. I would even pay to eat at the Jade so as part of the all inclusive facilities it was excellent. Do book early though as these two restaurants are by far the most popular.

Drink
By this category I'm referring to drinks of the alcoholic variety! I tried the beer which was reasonably decent, not as strong as ordinary beer but it didn't taste watery at all it was actually quite refreshing. I didn't think much of their wine but then again I'm quite fussy. Cocktails were a delight there was a good cocktail list and they were very generous when it came to measures! At the bars this was usually the drink of choice for most of the guests!

Entertainment
I must commend the entertainment team they were absolutely brilliant and worked so hard to make everyone feel welcome. During the day there would be some entertainment by the pool, and some aqua-aerobics if you can be bothered! The evening entertaiment was superb, professional dancers, magicians and a few funny characters! It only lasts an hour but it breaks up the evening as there is nothing to do outside the resort come evening time.

We always recieved good service. All the staff will greet you even as you walk past them so be sure to practice your 'hola' before going! Our favourite bar man was Yovanni who was at the swim up bar he was great although we did have to ask him to make our cocktails a little less strong! Our maid was also great although she would visit quite early in the morning she would happily return later in the day when we asked her.

Excursions
We visited Saona island which I'd definitely recommend (although it rained!), it was a true caribbean retreat. We also took the horse riding trip along the beach (this can be booked next to where you collect beach towels), also highly recommended. I wouldn't recommend taking this the day before you fly though, your rear end will take a good few days to recover if like me you are out of practice or are a beginner! The Saona island trip was booked through our travel agent which was Thomas Cook. If you do travel though Thomas Cook, the reps are absolutely fantastic especially Carly who is a yorkshire lass.

We spent most of our time during the day at the pool, I'm not much a fan of sand and it was so convenient having the swim up bar close by. Please take plenty of sun tan lotion before you go, although myself and my sister thought that two bottles would be plenty for a week, we ended up going through two more and they are a little more pricey at the hotel shops. And of course mosquite repellent as it is a tropical country.

I'm sure all who visit the sirenis in the future will have a wonderful time as we have had!

• Liked — Great all inclusive facilities
  • Disliked — Sometimes a bit difficult to get sun loungers when the hotel gets busy
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Blaine, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

A great beach, you can walk either way until your hearts content. The water was calm a few days and rough the remainder. I stayed 9 nights (3/14-3/23). This was my (and my wifes) 5th trip back to the DR. I am not sure you could ask for more. Sure the beds aren't as comfortable as your own, but by the time you hit the hay (if you do it right) it shouldn't matter. Ask for premium booze by name (i.e. Tanqueray, Stoli) and make sure to hit the disco. It was lively EVERY night (open 11pm-2am). Food was decent to good. The swim-up bars are a lot of fun. We (group of 6) took the trip to Saona. It was my wife and I's 2nd time back as that is where we were engaged 7 years ago. Sure it is a longer day, but worth every penny (around $90USD/person). If you are looking for lobster, book the gourmet ($35 if you are not a VIP), but the food and service was the best by far. The gourmet restaurant will be quiet (most likely only a few tables), so if you are looking for a good meal, quiet and airconditioned, I recommend it. If you are afraid of the shops on either end, just walk in the water in front of them on your way by, they have shoes and pants on so they won't get too close. I enjoy the barter game, but thats just me. Cheers.

• Liked — Beach, and the Swim-up bar(s).
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

We were there for 2 weeks..Feb. 18th - Mar. 3rd ...my Husband and I and Sister in law and her Husband, plus friends we met there last year from England came there the same time as we did. We had a fantastic time and this was my Husband and my 4th trip back there and going again next year!!
The staff.......the service.........the food.........the beach.........the rooms........EVERYTHING was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
We were reconized by the staff that were there last year and called us by name when they first seen us.......Unbelievable!!
The guest service manager "Sorivany" was the BEST!! My husband and I renewed our wedding vows and she organized everything for us....it was absolutely AWESOME!!
The main waiter at the Steak House "Gilberto" was AMAZING"..He also remembered me and Steve from last year!
The bartenders called us by name when we went to the bar and remembered us from last year!!
The band "Nathan and Carman", has been there every year that we have been there and they certainly knew us and they are a FANTASTIC band.
All the people that they see coming and going....it's remarkable how they can remember.
"Marcy" the door greeter at the buffet on Cocotal side, for breakfast and lunch is the sweetest person you would ever want to meet!! She's been there, also, for the past 4 years!!
We have no complaints about this resort at all!!
They have a couple of new restaurants ..."Italian and Japanese" and the food is absolutely delicious!!
I just have one regret.........I wish this was Feb. of next year , so we could be back at Sirenis again!!!!!
People who down-grade this resort???????????? I give this resort a 5 and then some!!!
Can't wait to go back again next year!!
Sandy and Steve

• Liked — The view from our balcony and the service from our maid and from all of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

Let me preface this review by explaining that, being of Scottish lineage, I am not one that is able to wallow away the hours in the sun (although I would love to sometimes) lazing at the beach in a comfy beach chair. I usually opt to send my wife on vacation along with her Mom instead of going myself and really not enjoying the experience. My wife and I were in Cuba to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago and the trip from start to finish was just horrible for me. If Go Travel Diersct is still in business...avoid them like the plague!!!

This past February, we travelled to the D.R. along with my Brother & Sister In Law as they were four-peat visitors to the Sirenis and were going down for the 5th time to repeat their wedding vows. I thought...
"What the heck" and went along for the occasion.

We spent 2 of the most wonderful weeks at the Sirenis that I have ever experienced before in my life! The facility, the food, the weather were all exceptional! The staff were all absolutely wonderful. Loving, friendly, obliging, hard working and it is clear that they are having fun doing going about their tasks...enjoy the guests (especially Canadians and in particular one Newfoundlander named Sandy) and like to see everybody enjoying themselves, all the time watching for people's safety. It was obvious to me that the staff were extremely well trained. There was no doubt about it once meeting one of the Staff Managers "Soriviany"! She was a complete and utter doll to to us!

The one opportunity for this resort to improve upon would be to do something about the floks who "butt out" on the sands of their beautiful beach! Perhaps daily grooming or supply more outside ash trays for those too lazy to get up off of their behinds to properly dispose of the implements of their own distruction!

Bottom line....my wife & I have applied for V.I.P. Membership and will definitely be going back to the Sirenis next February and will stay going there as long as this facility comtinues to offer the excellent vacation hospitality that we enjoyed so much last month.

I am now a huge fan of heading to the Sirenis every winter! If you go....all will take care of you but...ask for Soriviany!!!

Stayed February 2008
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husand and I got back from the Sirenis; we stayed 2/25/08-3/3/08. Going thru the airport customs was a breeze, Our flight arrived at noon. the ride to the resort was about an hour long, but we enjoyed seeing the country side, you go thru the more populated area near Bavaro Beach the ride is a bit bumpy, but sit in the front of the air conditioned bus and you don't really notice it (all of the roads in DR are bumpy). When we approached the resort it was just beautiful, gates open to a palm tree lined road that brings you to the front of the resort. We checked in with no problems, infact our room was ready when we got there 1:30pm. We were greated with a cocktail as we waited. Our room was nice, building L - we had an ocean view, the a/c seemed low for what we are use to I called the front desk and they returned with room darkening curtains & the ac was great. Be careful if you go on the balcony- the sliding door is self locking, we got locked out, but my husband did manage to get us back in.

The grounds are spotless, bars and restaurants everywhere. the staff was very friendly, everyone greats you with an OLA ! The beach was beautiful; the tall palm tree's sway with the breeze from the ocean. It was much hotter around the pool area; which is also fantastic, you have a low end, deep center and gradually back to low waters - fun for everyone. I did join in a water aerobic class while my husband sat in a nearby shaded cabana with a cocktail. The food was ok, we always found something to eat. The afternoon beach bbq is the best, we did try the japanese restaurant which was also fantastic - they cook right infront of you.

We went into the casino, but didn't stay long. We hit the disco last night we were there & had a blast!, it is small very cold a/c and our drinks were free, I read other reviews that said you had to pay; we didn't. We also saw some of the nightly show's; they were enjoyable. The staff works around the clock; the animation team is near poolside by day, putting on nightly entertainment shows after 8pm and then go work the disco around midnight,

We did the safari outback excursion which was alot of fun, and once again..free cocktails all day long; you get to see the real dominican republic; the folks were fantastic. We also went deep sea fishing - caught 3 40 pound mahi. We were told by the tour guide that we were there during the winter season; it's the coolest; temps were 85 degree's everday! great for me considering we left a snowstorm in Pittsburgh, PA the day we left,

When we layed on the beach we stayed near the watersports; it says you can't swim in the area, but you can. It was less crowded than the main area - this was straight out from our building L and it worked perfectly for us. There are vendors on the beach, yes they are pushy, but just say no and they understand, We did get some free shots of mamajuana and a free cigar for my husband each tine we visited; they loved us and we had a great tine with them.

This was our first all inclusive trip ; everything was fantastic, the bar staff was always right there checking to see if we needed anything, as did the waiters and waitresses. We had NO problems with bugs

Overall fantastic time; would we go back, YES !! definately

• Liked — the awesome bach
  • Disliked — there were alot of kids, my husband and I left ours at home; we wanted a get away
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!