“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames

Save Saved
You added Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames to your Saves list
Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto | Macao Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #73 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We traveled with a family of 5. Once we arrived fast check-in but had to wait for 40 minutes as room was not ready. Finally got to our room H001 ground floor, great location. There were no bath towels in our room just 5 beach towels, went to inquire at front desk they said they will have some towels delivered, that was 2:30pm it was 8 pm before we received the towels. Five days out of the seven we had to ask for towels,toilet paper and kleenex as none were left after doing up our room. How embarrassing is that. Next the beds were very hard, the sheets were curtains and all the top blankets had holes in them. On to the food. There should be some regulation to say some foods contain nuts as my wife ate some pesto pasta and you guessed it had nuts in it. She had a tough time breathing and had to go back to the room for the night. She had to be very careful for the rest of the week on what she chose to eat. Our oldest also got sick and was in bed for a day. The best dinners were the Japanese and lobster on the beach,which I thought was exspensive at $40 a person. There are not enough English speaking staff, and the ones that do are trying to sell you a time share. The water park was okay but they need to invest in some tubes to go through the tunnels as there were people getting injured. We all did a zip line excursion through our travel rep.(air transat) and it was well worth the money it was absolutely amazing. Overall the grounds are beautiful, but what this resort needs to focus on is better service to its customers who I know pay alot of money for a holiday and do not get the service. It is time for me to close the door on this resort as we will not be returning to this one, maybe the one in Mexico is better, but this one I will leave for you to decide and I hope no one experiences what my family went through on my RETIREMENT vacation. Sorry but this vacation was an awful experience.
Hooper 5

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Hi Hooper5,

Thank you very much to have taken the time to share your feedback with us. I will definitely take it for future improvements of our resort as we are constantly working on improving our services and amenities.

Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss these issues in more details. If you come back to Punta Cana in the future and decide to choose our resort, I will personally insure you have the best vacation at our hotel.

2,013 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you haven't yet booked your trip to Punta Cana, bypass this resort and consider another one.

I read some bad reviews of Sirenis before I booked my trip, but they were such lengthy, godawful rants that I chalked them up to miserable travellers. There are always people who refuse to be happy anywhere, you know? And I figured these page- long tirades against Sirenis were written by people who wouldn't be happy if they were vacationing in Paradise itself.

I really tried to be happy here but every day there was a new disappointment, and that sort of weighed on me after a while. I am still happy that I got a week in the sun; so many people don't ever get to enjoy a vacation and I'm thankful that I did. Still, I'm hoping that an honest review might help fellow travellers enjoy a better experience than the one I had at Sirenis:

Here's my Top Ten List of why you should vacation elsewhere:

1. The water is not turquoise. (It's closer to the colour of lake water, and it smells a bit foul. I'm not sure if this has to do with currents - check out the geographical location of the resort. I was hit by not one, but two plastic baggies floating in the ocean one day...could have happened anywhere but it was a turnoff for sure.)

2. The beach is not white. It's the same mundane colour as the beach in my hometown in northern Ontario. (Aren't these turquoise water and white beaches the main two reasons why people come to the Caribbean?)

3. Safety for solo travellers is a bit sketchy. (I checked in at night and was called "fresh meat" by the young male reception clerk. Literally. I spent each evening before bed barricading the furniture against my first-floor patio door after that.)

4. Chances of getting a happy staff member are 50/50. Lots of nice wait staff in restaurants, but most other staff members - including reception - are sullen. Some glared at me so openly that I shrivelled inside.

5. Booking yourself in for weekly dinners will take half your day on Day 1. There simply HAS to be a better system than lining up for ONE concierge who makes your bookings for you. It seems to me that guests could all do this themselves on a self-serve computer system.

6. Sub-par rooms. I know rooms aren't the main aspect of a resort, but my room clearly wasn't anything like the pictures on the Sirenis website. (Photos attached). My sheets were never changed and each day my water glass was rinsed out and put back on the tray - never replaced. By Day 4 I had only 1 towel left and by Day 6 I had 0. There was a faint smell of mushrooms and urine in the room and my pillows smelled stale. I never got used to it.

7. Limited English spoken here. Lots of French and Spanish-speaking guests. I booked an English catamaran tour one day and was the only English speaker on the bus...tour was entirely in French. I do passably well with French, but I would have learned a lot more had the tour been in English.

8. Some of the things listed on the Sirenis website are falsehoods. You WILL pay a $50 deposit for your room safe, no matter what type of room you're in.

9. Even the locals seem to be aware that this is not the best resort in the D.R. I experienced three separate occasions when a local person (tour guide, etc) reacted with doubt when I told them that I was having an "okay time" at the resort ("Really? You REALLY are having a nice time?")

10. Vegetarian restaurant is very good, but not great. The SOLE reason I chose this resort was because of this. The Caribbean diet is very meat-based and I didn't fancy eating garden salad for every meal. I enjoyed my meals at this restaurant (which was not frequented by many other guests...so sad...) but in the future I'll take my chances at a non-veg resort recommended by a travel agent.

All in all, the resort was adequate but not exquisite. With so many spectacular places to choose from in the Dominican Republic, why stay here? Keep surfing, and find something that will truly yield some amazing memories.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Aquagames, Assistant Manager at Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi Shannon M,
First of all I have to thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review. This will definitely help us improve some of our services.
Have you reported any of the challenges you’ve encountered during your stay to anybody at the hotel while you were there? As I always tell our guests, if we know about it it’s always easier to react fast, solve the problem right away and to help you spend a great vacation.
About the reservations for the “a la carte” restaurants, I’m surprised of your comment since we have 5 places in the hotel where you can make your reservations: 2 tables in the lobby, 2 houses on the main avenue, and in the public relations office (as indicated in the welcome guide).
Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any further details or if you decide to come back in the future, I’ll do my best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here between 30th September and 15th October 2013 - Sorry has taken me this long to get back into the swing of things :) We had the most amazing time and have to say this was one of the best holidays we have ever had. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but have to say our fears soon disappeared once we arrived. We were greeted with a cocktail while we waited to check in and then our bags were taken to our rooms. The room was huge and although the rooms were a little dated we were told to expect this when we booked as apparently a lot of resorts in the Dominican are like this. You are in the middle of no where but there is a bar a 15 minute walk up the beach, we didnt feel the need to go out as there was a lot of entertainment in resort. We did a couple of trips and have to say that a trip to Saona Island is well worth the money. We ate at most of the restaurants and enjoyed them all. The steak we received at the steak restaurant was huge - my partner couldnt even finish it even though he eats like a horse!! All in the staff were friendly, our rooms were cleaned daily, the food was lovely and do not understand some of the horrible complaints. I would definitely go back and are looking at booking Sirenis in Mexico for this year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi DawnMcG,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m happy to see you had a great holiday with us.
Whenever you decide to come back, please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com in order to ensure you spend another amazing trip. We'd be more than happy to welcome you and your family again.
Lougheed, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We visited Sirenis Cocotal Dec 15- 22nd 2013. Trip from the airport was longer than expected, but from that point on things got better. Check in was quick and our bags were at the room within 15 mins. Our room was at the far end of the Resort close to the beach but no problems getting around as there was always a golf cart willing to take us any where we wanted to go. Although there were the usual language barriers when visiting a foreign country, the staff were more than accommodating to any thing we could possibly need. Everything about this Resort was clean and up to date, but what really makes this Resort special is the people that work there. We were blown away by how friendly and helpful all the staff were. The bar staff in the lobby were some of the best people there. They always remember your drink and people should remember that tipping goes along way. Our Concierge Leo bent over backwards to iron out every minor wrinkle we encountered. The Buffet Restaurants were great , they had a huge selection of fresh food to accommodate any taste. The Al a carte Restaurants were great our favorites were the Steak House, Mexican and the French. The beach was spectacular and very clean. The view was breath taking from our Ocean view balcony. The pool area was great as well the bar staff there were super friendly too. I have read a lot of negative reviews about this place and as far as we can see the complainers have unrealistic expectations. Are we going to return to Sirenis...HELL YES we have never met more friendly people at any place we have been to.

Room Tip: Beach View, Upgrade to Ocean view if possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi hurtinalbertans,
Thank you very much for your great review from your last holiday at our resort. I’m happy to hear you liked the food, the restaurants, the view from your room and especially our friendly staff as they work hard to make sure our customers have a great time.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you and your family again on your next vacation. Please don’t hesitate to write me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com before you come so I can make sure you have another great stay with us.
Markham, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Food was not good. The service was slow and sometimes non-existent.

The Hotel takes your room towels in the early am, and does not replace them until around dinner time, if at all.

I do not recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi JoelJones20,

We thank you very much for your review from our last holiday at our resort. We will make sure all your comments are taken into consideration in order to improve our services.

Don’t hesitate to contact me personally at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to discuss any issues or if you are thinking of coming back to our resort. I’ll be happy to ensure you spend a great vacation.

Malibu, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very large resort with amazing entertainment options including nightly shows, an on-location night club, and live music everywhere you go. People are very friendly but it may take some phone calls and tries to get something done. The room smelled bad. Food was pretty good, with a 24h buffet. This was very important as our morning flight was at 5 AM, and another hotel we stayed at opened for breakfast at 6 AM.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hi executive01,

Thank you for your great comments. I’m glad to hear you guys had a great vacation at our Resort. Our whole team is working very hard in insuring the quality of our services.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me at assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com for anything you might need in a future stay. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Sirenis Family.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Resort with 12 ppl - two families from Dec 28, 2013 to Jan 2, 2014. I would never recommend this resort unless a MAJOR overhaul of the staff, rooms and food. I agree with most of the reviewers that the grounds are nice. The beach is equally nice and the weather was perfect (and the reason we went to the DR - warmth). However, we had major issues that I do not think were isolated just to our family. Here is the list:

Arrival - Our key did not work on one of the rooms. All they kept doing was giving me a new room key which never worked. Finally, they fixed it the next day by putting in a new device.

Rooms - Air did not work in one of the rooms, the TVs were 20 years old and one did not work. The cots we asked for were torn and ripped. The area outside our rooms flooded due to a leak in an adjoining room and the water seeped into our two rooms. That was pleasant! On the fourth day our shower and toilet water was brown. I also took a nice picture of the brown toilet with a dead cockroach next to it. My son found a huge live one in the shower with him.

Housekeeping - Some days we did not get service at all and we had to literally find our housekeeper to ask for new waters and towels. They would also knock on our door at 8am to ask for our used towels. We wondered if they had a towel shortage and had to clean some quickly.

Food - I have never been to an all inclusive before so I cannot judge the quality relative to others but it was not good. The only think that was okay were the fresh omelets at breakfast but other than that no one in our group thought the food was any good. We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Steak House and did not have anything good to say other than it was manageable. My wife got sick on the second to last day and, a week later, is slowly getting back to normal. My son was also stricken with it for a day. We would have been better off eating junk food from the store all day.

Management - By far, this is the worst management staff I have ever experienced in my life. From the very beginning, they just did not care whether or not we had a great time. Once, when getting medicine from the Pharmacy, I wanted to check out the medicine on-line since the packaging was in spanish. I asked to purchase five mins of internet service but the person told me he did not have any more passwords so I was out of luck. After screaming at him that I wanted for free and that all I wanted to do was to look up this medicine for my son to take because of the food they served him, the manager finally took me back to the offices. The security staff and cleaning staff by the beach kept asking us to bring them cerveza (is that a holiday policy in the DR?). The "member" staff were our friends (trying to help us set up reservations) up until the point we told them we did not want a "breakfast". Lastly at checkout, we did not have our towel cards. We were not told that we had to return them or pay $20 (we had twelve people). We always stayed late at the beach and the towel return was closed so we left them next to the hut. While I admit that I made a mistake in not reading the card, they did not care. While we tried to argue with them, they went over to the person managing our shuttle ride to the airport and told him about the issue. We asked why should he be concerned? I finally realized after leaving the resort that the gate they have at the front is there to keep you in instead of keeping unwanted people out. They were telling him not to leave with us.

The servers in the restaurants were friendly but unprofessional.

The Sirenis needs to completely overhaul its management, update the rooms, train the staff and figure out how to serve better food. This place is not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi ddend33,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t meet your expectations during your trip. Your comments will definitely help us improve our services.

As mentioned in our welcome guide, we have a hotline x611 in case you need to have anything fix or need anything for your room. Regarding your problems with the room, have you informed the public relations department or someone from management during your trip? I am surprised to hear nobody helped you because when we know about problems, we try to resolve them as fast as we can. We like to do our best to make our customers happy so they can have a great stay with us.

I leave you my e-mail assistantmngr.dr@sirenishotels.com if you want to contact me personally to discuss these issues in more details. If you decide to come back to our resort, I will ensure we make your stay here at the Sirenis memorable.

Assistant Manager

Been to Sirenis Tropical Suites Casino & Aquagames? Share your experiences!