“Don Lucas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Don Lucas Cigars

Don Lucas Cigars
Avenida Barcelo - Edificio Mundo Autentico KM 4 1/2, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic
1.809.466.1212
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Don Lucas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had read reviews about Don Lucas online before our trip and knew that it was a MUST on the list of things today.

As we walked in the small rolling room, our tour guide came out and asked what type/size cigar I preferred, briefly went to another room and grabbed a cigar for me to smoke during the tour. Our tour guide was Kelmin and he did not hesitate to answer every question that I had about the rolling process as well as many questions I had about identifying counterfeit Cubans. We spent well over 30 minutes in the humidor talking about the aforementioned topics and in the meantime, selecting what I wanted to purchase. He was not pushy about the purchases and did not seem in a hurry to get rid of us. It was only my wife and I, so going into it I thought they wouldnt want to waste their time on us.

I ended up purchasing a box of Don Lucas cigars that was half medium body and half full body cigars, and a box of Romeo y Julieta Cubans upon his recommendation. After my cigar selection was complete, he poured 4 different shots of rum for me to sample. By this point the medium bodied cigar I was smoking was coming to a powerful end, and the rums complemented and balanced out the cigar nicely.

Overall, this is a great little excursion that is free of charge and very educational for a cigar lover. However, we did tip the driver $5 there, $5 back because it was two different drivers. And, I gave Kelmin some $$ too for his time.

Visited October 2012

Youngstown-Warren, OH
21 attraction reviews
“Great prices overshadowed by terrible service and shaky transportation!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

To start off, the prices here at both the cigar factory and the souvenir shop are very very good. Also, there is a wide variety of both agricultural products such as coffee/rum/vanilla/etc; as well as handicraft-style souvenirs. However, the tour guide Kelvin was texting the whole time we were in the cigar factory, and no one looked happy to help. In the store, the cashiers wouldn't help us at all and looked irritated whenever we asked a question. The transportation was free, however the driver didn't know a word of English and the ride (advertised as 20 minutes), took over an hour. It was also very bumpy. I would not recommend!

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“great mini excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I found this place on tripadvisor and decided to go get my mentor a couple of Dominican cigars. our travel rep set it up. they send an air conditioned van to pick you up and drop you off free of charge. once there, we were taken to the rolling room where 8-10 guys were rolling different sized cigars. we were given sample cigars and rum to sip while the gentleman explained the whole process. after this, we were taken to their huge humidor/showroom. there were many styles varieties and price ranges of cigars.i pcked 5 in the 10-15 dollar range. they also carry a variety of Rums,coffees,spices, and souvenirs (rums and coffees were cheaper here than at the resort), it was a great hour spent away from the resort

Visited July 2012
England, United Kingdom
“Don lucas...wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Found out about this trip via tripadvisor while looking for things to do while on holiday with the misses. This was a free trip, our travel agent rep at the hotel was able to arrange the transport, which was free there and back regardless of if you purchasedanything. We where picked up at the hotel and after a small car ride arrived at the cigar factory. as we entered we were greated by our guide. The group where asked if anyone would like to try a cigar before the tour started which many including myself said yes too. our guide explained the process of making cigars in great detail step by step as we watched the workers hand rolling them. examples where handed out so we could feel the cigars at different points in the process. after this we where taking into the gift shop, led upstaires to the humidor which was out of this world. ive never seen such a large selection of cigars before. there where many brands of cubans and dominicans including the shops own Don lucas cigars all available to buy with our guide close by ready to answer any questions and help us pick the perfect cigars for our pallet. the Gift shop was large and had many items for souveniers. lots of different rums, mamajuana (a spiced rum made with honey wine and spices which is meant to have aphodisiac properties), everything was in dollars but you could pay in dollars and pesos. prices where fixed but they where about 50% cheaper than the hotels for souveniers and rum. if your a cigar lover then this tour really isnt to be missed, it should be firmly placed on the to do list and if your just looking for somewhere to buy gifts hassle free then its perfect also. its not gonna be as cheap as haggling with the local "lookie" men but its alot cheaper than the resorts. if we go back to punta cana, then ill definately be taking a trip to Don lucas cigars again. now time to smoke me one of don lucas' fine cigars!

Visited July 2012
Boston
“Punta Cana San Lucas Cigar Manufacturing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family and I (two adults 49, 2 female daughters 22 and 18) stayed at Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana. We live in Massachusetts and so I am a good weather, weekend smoker of cigars. I was looking forward to seeing if I could find an affordable dominican cigar to bring home with me and give a few friends a gift as well as enjoy myself.

I had a great experience at the San Lucas Cigar Factory

The advertised Free Visit to the Manufacturing Factory will not provide the worlds best cigars at the cheapest price. I am not sure that exists unless you can find locals who can navigate and eliminate the "knock offs". However, it provided a two/three hour excursion to occupy some time. We viewed the staff (about 7 were present during my visit) excute the cigar manufacturing process. While we watched, one guy explained the process. Prior to beginning, he offered a free cigar to have during the visit. The cigar was dynomite!! Because I mostly smoke outside during the weekends (approximately 2-3 per weekend), I tend to buy Ashton Churchill cigars (or best deals of the week or day) over the internet. Typically costing approximately $7.50-$7.75 per cigar.

I bought the torpedo sized San Lucas mid grade label cigar. They had three levels: Red, the one I bought, and then a black label cigar. I like mild to medium smokes. I paid $150.00 US dollars for a bundle of 25 cigars and smoked or gave out 15 of them already. EVERY SINGLE ONE WAS ENJOYED. They taste great (if that is what you can call smoking outside while not ever inhailing) and my 50 something year old buddies thought they were great.

I base my opinion on cigars for three criteria mostly: 1. Are they somewhat mild and NOT harsh or old tasting? Some cigars are just not made of quality tobaco and some feel like your smoking dirt. 2. Do they burn evenly. 3. and maybe most importantly, Can I draw with little effort. I can't stand getting a cigar that just won't draw. I am telling you these San Lucas Cigars are very good based on my three criteria.

I also bought some cohiba (Dominicans) churchills out at the beach. I haven't tried them yet but I am hoping they are not knock offs. We will see next weekend. For a retail price of $225 (according the the real nice guy selling them on the beach), I bargained down $125.00 and if they are anything like the San Lucas cigars, I will be thrilled. I did worry that they are just selling inferior quality cigars with the fancy knock off label. I know this sounds niave but my instincts tell me I got a fair price for a decent cigar (again my three criteria).

All in all, the trip to the San Lucas Cigar Factory is a great thing to do whille in Punta Cana. I am a regular guy just trying to give my honest opinion. I would have liked to purchased them for $60.00 but that just wasn't going to happen. Most importantly, do NOT pay the retail prices of the cigar stores at the various resorts (for the record, I have only been to Punta Cana this one time). Per cigar, it was out of control what they were looking for and while on vacation, most people (sometimes including me) will not think anything I spending $25-$35/per cigar (which is the general price range of the retail cigar shops) and figure they "are on vacation". I am suggesting you visit the San Lucas (or any other that is supported by your tour guide (mine was VIP by the way and they were very good).

Good Luck on your visit or vacation to the Punta Cana area and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Visited June 2012