“Getting away for a week of sun, sun, sun” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Booking.com CheapCaribbean
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #58 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Waterdown, Canada
“Getting away for a week of sun, sun, sun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I literally just got in the door from our trip. I must say the hotel is a bit outdated, but it is overall beautiful and very clean. The service was good, the food was ok (the a la carte restaurants like the steakhouse and italian were way better, then the buffet, which seemed to be busier at peak times obviously) The staff was super nice and very helpful. Our housekeeper Roseline was superb, a little late on the time of housekeeping, but our room was immaculate. A little more spoken english by the staff, might have been appreciated. Canadian Transat travellers had their own beach area with bar ( our bartender Franklin was hilarious and luves the Canadian beachgoers), and breakfast area (our host at the Home Run bar couldn't have been nicer) I would recommend this hotel, just for that part alone. The weather was superb, we were beachside everyday 8am-5pm. Couldn't of had a nicer time. Note to 1st time goers, they don't have straws, and bring LOTS of sunscreen, cause the prices in the little shop by the lobby are very very expensive (ie: $40 US for the bottle) The "market" stopped by twice the week were there to buy local treats, but i'll be honest, they were trying to be VERY persuasive and pulling us over to buy stuff, sometimes we had to say NO, 2 or 3 times before they got the hint. Overall an excellent vacation and an excellent suntan to prove it. My husband and I are already talking about going back in 3 months.

5,117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Polish first
Hagersville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed this past week at the Occidental....this resort is tired - I mean REALLY TIRED....an air transat personnel said that next year its rating is going down to 3star...oh great - can things get worse. The service is good, the food is excellent, the staff are wonderful...its the facilities that are out dated and out-worked...air conditioner quit for 4 nights - leaks from our bathroom ceiling...The grounds are kept immaculate...but quick fix repairs aren't cutting it anymore. The buildings should be torn down and started over to really make it something Grand again!

Room Tip: Stay out of 23-255!!!! Am surprised that Air Transat is so deeply involved with this resort. They fi...
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

we have been very impressed with our wonderful welcome and reception we recived from our lovely girl JOHANNA from guest service she has gone over and above her job description ,to acommodate us the grouds are very well mainted the pools are awsome the room service staff is great every one has been wonderful the beach is one of the best anywhere we would come back.

Room Tip: room 24-305
Welland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Not sure where all these bad reviews come from. Great trip from beginning to end wish we were staying for a couple more days. First I will say we flew Air Transat and they were great!! Would not hesitate to fly with them again. Unlike my awful Sunwing trip!! Check-in was fast and informative. We felt very welcomed. First impression of the lobby was how big and clean. The staff really goes above and beyond to keep this hotel spick and spam. The bathroom lobby was very impressively clean my entire stay. The workers on the grounds are always working to keep everything neat and tidy. WE were in building 25-107 close to the beach. It was an older building but was kept clean and stocked with plenty of coffee , water and towels. And for the people that say it smells moldy and gross.. It's the sea air you boneheads.. A little tip people don't be so cheap and leave a little something for your housekeeper (Miqueline was great) and they will take good care of you. I brought a few small gifts and left money. anything helps. And don't wait till the last day!!! These people work so hard for very little.

The beach was Super fantastic and our bartender at the preferred club Williams was great!! Yes it was a smaller area but you don' t have to sit there. We were just on the other side, still close to the bar. The beach was kept clean and the water was great. The guys selling stuff on the beach were fine. They did not pester me at all. Just a simple polite no thank you goes a long way. The Beach club bar and restaurant was great!! Always something to eat. A little more variety up at the lobby buffet but it was good food. Soup and pasta was fantastic. Great salads and chicken to die for.

We did not eat at any of the a la carte because we do not like to have a schedule when we are on vacation, however other guests said the Mexican and steak house was great. The Buffet was great in my opinion, fresh omlettes and crepes were yummy. Supper had something different every night. From grilled fish, steaks, pork chop, suckling pig. Tacos and the pasta bar was my favorite. the fresh bread was yummy too. You will only starve if you are a picky, spoiled brat..All of the staff and waiters were fantastic. I recommend getting there when it opens and try sitting the same section. A little tip will go a long way. We left our waitress 5.00 at the beginning of the week and a dollar or two here and there. They work very hard trying to get your drinks and picking up plates. But understand the mad rush, please have a little patience. Whats the rush anyway? Seeing as you're there on vacation.

The bartenders in the lobby were GREAT!! Big shout out to ONY, EMILIO and Solomen, miss you guys!! The furniture in the lobby could use some updating but no biggy. Wish they would have had more music playing but we met so many great people. Thanks to our friends that brought the guitar!! The sing along's were the best time off the week.

The pizza place upstairs for late night snacks was great!! And the bartenders at the bar were great!!! I never did try the taco place up there but if they are anything like the ones in the buffet. I bet on good too.

Ok pool bar and bartenders were a hoot. Wilson and Wilton were my buddies. Pool super clean. Not a lot of kids at that bar which was good. Only thing I did not like was the water fall coming down.. The sports bar up from there was for air transat people. Hamburger and fries were yum.Did not eat breakfast there.

We had another pool close to our room that was nice for quiet time alone, very relaxing. Even though I did not have children with me, they seemed to have a fun house for the kids. The pool close to Beach club was taking over with kids and sore to say this but Russians.

I normally would not discriminate, however we found that 70 percent of guest were Russians. They were rude, disrespectful, dirty pigs that never cleaned up after themselves. They never tip a buck to anyone. They would run you down and never move out of the way. Could have drop kicked a few of them..

I do not recommend this resort for older people that cannot do a lot of walking. This is a very large resort so expect to do a large amount of walking. We did not mind. The vacation club people that want you to do the time share thing are not that bad. Just tell no thank you and keep walking. Unless you want free gifts for an hour of your time go for it. The guys that come in for the market are a real pain. Very pushy, trying to put jewellery on you ect. I wish they would just let you look. Remember everything is negotiable in price.

Had a fantastic time, would I go back!! I would say yes. My biggest problem was TOO MANY Russians!! Sorry Russians but you need to learn some manners and respect for the rest of the would.

Thank you to all of the staff that made our stay so wonderful. and to all the great new friends we made while there.
Michelle from NIagara Fall , CANADA

ok my biggest problems were

Москва
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Havin' a trip to caribean with my wife this january. Very good sevice. Exellent beach, perfect animation. Especcialy thanks to Yohanna from guest service. She knows russian as vell as english and can help you to solve any problem! Live music every day. Very friendly people workked here.
We plane to visit Occidental Grand Punta Cana again next year with a child.

Room Tip: Room:13211
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This was my second trip to this resort and the first for my 2 girlfriends. They trusted me to decide on our destination. They were very happy with my choice. The beach is as always just amazing, weather was beautiful, & staff were friendly and welcoming.

We booked through Air Transat and had the Preferred Club. Our stay was from Jan. 7-14, 2014.

The room we shared in building 26 was much more dated than the one I had in building 10 back in Feb 2012, however it met our needs and we are not as fussy as some. ;) Our housekeeper ROSITA was fabulous. She must have thought we were slobs, 3 women can really trash a room with all our stuff! She was always very friendly and our room was always spotless when she was done.

The restaurants were very good and we liked the variety of dishes available at the buffets. A la Carte's were very very good as well. I would have loved to see a Seafood Restaurant added though. All the staff we had wait on us were very happy and personable. We loved the interaction we had with the staff.

I actually recognized 2 of my favourite bartenders from 2012 in the Lobby bar. I was very happy to see ONY and EMILIO! Love love love these guys!!! Also want to mention FIODALIZA who also worked at the Lobby bar. She was also awesome. Always great smiles, great service and great drinks.

Our Beach Bar bartender who deserves recognition is FRANKLIN. He was so fun, always smiling, and you can really tell he loves his job and enjoys meeting new people. He makes awesome drinks and we loved his Mojitos and the Franklin Special. He really was a joy to see every day, and we missed him terribly on his days off.

One excursion we booked this week through the SeaPro Dive shop was the "Booze Cruise" booked with "L.A". We spent 3 hours on a party boat, went snorkeling, and met other party boats at a private sand bar. It was the best party!!! We really had the best time! We highly recommend it! That said, a word of warning! LA was overly friendly and several times over the week attempted to get us to go off resort with him. We did not go, and are suspicious of any staff who would target vacationers in this way. After returning home and doing some research we found that he has done this before and there have been complaints of women being exploited for money.

Over all though, the good staff are truly what makes this resort an enjoyable stay, but this review would be too long winded to read if I named everyone. Rest assured they have many excellent staff members, from the entertainment crew to the grounds crew etc. I will only mention a few more names we really appreciated this past week as they deserve mentioning. Towel boy JOSH, Beach Security ISAIAS and of course our Concierge VICTOR. They are also friendly professional staff that the Occidental should be proud to have.

Now for my critisism....No the review couldn't possibly be all good, and it isn't. There are a few things that I feel needs to be addressed by the management if they wish to keep their faithful return vacationers.

1) One of the things I feel they need to offer their guests is FREE WIFI!!! I cannot stress to you enough the importance of this. Most vacationers demand it and I guarantee that your competition is offering it. To add insult to injury what you charge for your wifi is rediculous! $60 per week.....oh hell no.... Suck it up Occidental! Treat your guests to wifi. It will be much appreciated and will encourage new and repeat customers.

2) News flash...we shouldn't have to pay for a safe! That is a required part of our paid for accommodation. Cut the crap. Include the safe without extra charge.

3) The vendors the Occidental allows to set up inside the hotel's grounds are annoying and aggressive. I did not appreciate being harrassed every time we had to "walk the gauntlet" between the Lobby and the Stage.

4) The last complaint I have is regarding MANGU CLUB. I realize this is separate from the hotel but it is one the the reasons why people like myself chose to come to Occidental. I don't know who took over, who is managing, or who is making the changes to the club but STOP IT!!! They have ruined it for vacationers who remember what MANGU was like 2 years ago, when they had the best Electronica/House music, awesome DJ's, dancers, etc. Now they only play endless Latino House. Its not the same! Give the people what they want or they will stop coming and find somewhere else....and it seems that they already have, as the club was nearly empty when I did go and people who showed up didn't stay. 2 years ago it was packed every night and I didn't leave until at least 4am...it was that good! After seeing what they have done to the place now, I was very very disappointed!

In the end I would come back if only for the nice staff, good food, and beautiful beach. But not having the hopping dance club might deter me from returning, I have to be honest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Lakefield, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

From the airport through check out myself my daughter and her friend had a great time ,room was clean right beside the beach plenty of food choice. I really cannot complain about anything . however you must book your choice of where to eat on your first day there or they well be booked up TC

Room Tip: complex 24 or 26 right next to the beach 2nd floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!