“It's a beautiful place, but the staff is not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #57 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Pennsylvania
“It's a beautiful place, but the staff is not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We did a quick trip (Friday- Monday) to DR to stay at the Occidental Grand Punta Cana resort. The grounds, beach and pool are lovely and well maintained. There are multiple places to eat and Isilio at the Beach Bar was one of the few exceptional staff members with his friendliness and efficiency (we also tipped him quite well so maybe that's the key).
Unfortunately, there were issues that could be fixed if the hotel would pay more attention to guest details. Upon check-in, we were not told of any daily activities, or where we could find listings of such so we had no idea what was going on at the resort the whole time. Upon check-out, the attendant was rude and rushed and handed us a small piece of paper which we almost threw away. Come to find out, you needed to give this to the Transport driver.
The "concierge" in our building called us at 8:00 am the first day after our arrival and put a note under our door asking us to meet him in the afternoon for a "Free Gift". I suspected, and was correct, that this was just a dumb ploy to get us to listen to a presentation about "Time Shares" so we said "thanks but no thanks". When I asked him for help with dinner reservations about 15 minutes later, he responded that I could make them myself (this is after he had just offered to make them for us). Rude, Rude, Rude. He then proceeded to ignore us the rest of the stay.
The speciality restaurant food was average at best and the Italian restaurant was the worst. They did make great smoothies and omlettes however for breakfast and the brick oven pizza was really tasty.
The beach was beautiful and safe. They kept the "Hawkers" to a reasonable amount and if you said "no Gracious" they were very friendly and left you alone. I was expecting them in the DR, so it was not a surprise.
In general, the resort was pretty and seemed to have a lot to offer. Unfortunately, we never really got to find out what that was due to the lack of organization and staff attention.

5,553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband & I stayed at this resort from 1/4 thru 1/11. We are Occidental OWNERS! We bought the vacation club in Costa Rica where they treated us like royalty. They gave us a deal we could not pass so we bought, although we already own a vacation club with Melia (which has a resort 5 miles away from Occidental in Punta Cana) and is absolutely TOP QUALITY FIRST CLASS SERVICE. Anyway, everything went downhill from the reservation call. When i called to make the reservation, the 1st thing the rep said 2 me was that i owed $185!! EXCUSE ME?!!? after being transferred to Melvin (who's awesome) we finally made our reservation. We initially did not plan to stay for 7 days however Melvin said "if you book 4 or 5 days, they are going to put you in a REGULAR ROOM, NOT the room you BOUGHT" so we booked 7 days. When we got there, they put us in the freakin BATES MOTEL ROOM!! There was hair on the floor in the bathroom, the bedding was as old as me, it was AWFUL!! it was NOT what we bought! We are First Club owners, yet we were put in a room as if we booked thru apple vacations or expedia. This was unacceptable. After raising holy heck, they showed us another room, which was the same "quality" room just bigger. this 2 was unacceptable. I finally spoke to a manager and was assured that we would be moved in the morning. At this point our vacation was RUINED. Keep in mind, we own another vacation club not too far from Occidental, and were so ready to call them to come & pick us up. The room we were in was awful. Hair on the floor in the bathroom, mold on the curtains, the air conditioning unit leaked (right over the door). Just awful. When we finally got into the room that we PAID FOR as MEMBERS, it was a little better but my vacation was already ruined at this point. We were told they only reason why we got this room was because another member had not shown up & they had been holding that room for him since Thursday!!!! ARE U KIDDING ME!! so when we checked in on Sat, you could have given us the room we BOUGHT but u were holding a room!! WHAT!! I am to going to get into much more detail about this PLACE, but I urge you NOT to stay in this hotel and DO NOT BUY THIS VACATION CLUB. If you are 30 and over and EXPECT to be treated with dignity and respect and get what you pay for, like peace & quiet during your vacation and in your HOTEL ROOM, do NOT stay at this hotel. Its loud and noisy EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. This hotel is for young kids, spring breakers, etc. Not for the mature refined adults. This message will be posted on every social media site I can find

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Grand Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Wonderwoman215,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We regret to read about the lack of service you experienced, please accept our apologies. Our team is focused on providing the best service to our guests and it saddens us to know that we failed you. We are diligently working to address your concerns with our hotel staff and management to ensure that these situations do not present themselves again in the future.

If there is anything we can do gain your trust in our product and service, as a member of our Occidental Vacation Club, please do not hesitate to contact directly: itejeda@do.occidentalhotels.com

We hope to have the pleasure of welcome you back and show you the service for which we are known for.

Matawan, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I just returned from a week at the resort. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. With that said, the food is awful and repetitive. If you want to sleep at night get earplugs because the disco makes your walls vibrate at 11:30pm. The chair in the lobby are dirty and smell of sweat. The hawkers on the beach don't leave you alone and follow you around with no security taking them off resort grounds. The general condition of the resort is shabby and in sore need of renovation. It may have been grand once but it certainly is not grand now. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear 6254A,

We highly appreciate and thank your review, please accept our sincere apologies for this situation that does not reflect our attitude and service quality, for this reason it has been reported to our management for corrective actions be taken.

We are committed to providing our guests with an enjoyable vacation and it appears that we fell short of this during your stay. We regret to hear that your stay was not pleasant and we truly hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you.

Many thanks,
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I wish I had something nice to say about this resort, but unfortunately I don't. Being a frequent Caribbean (and world) traveler I have had the chance to experience both good and bad resorts so I have a pretty good idea what acceptable is. Right off the bet I would suggest you go elsewhere if you haven't booked here, but if you have continue to read so you are better prepared for what's to come.
What topped all the wrongs of this hotel was another letter slipped under the door explaining that due to a computer error they had taken more reservations that they actually could handle and had rooms available for so they were looking for volunteers that were either willing to leave the hotel sooner to return home or go to a nearby hotel, but get 1-3 free nights at a later time or take an excursion to Samoa (island) to make room for the others.
Arrival and check in were pretty smooth and rather quick. The room was what really destroyed my whole experience at the resort. They are in desperate need of renovation. The air conditioner worked well, if it was kept at 75. Worked if we lowered it too but it leaked water, which made a puddle that two hand towels could not hold together so it would leak to out of the room, into the corridor and all the way down the hall. Walking to the bathroom was always a good balancing act between not getting wet from the water and not slipping at the same time. Opening the balcony door gave me a good workout because it would not easily slide and locking it was even harder. They had drilled holes on the panels of the door, which were held together by a metal stick. Strange. The drawers, mostly would not open and the ones that did slid out all the way and almost broke our toes. The bathroom was mainly ok, but the water would always leak out of the tub when taking a shower and no matter how good the curtain was adjusted it would get out. But they had it figured out with a second shower drain on the floor next the toilet. Even third world countries have better room conditions.
The beach was great, but if you went to grab a chair after 8, good luck finding one and the umbrellas were out of the question of course. 80% of the beach chairs were broken and would fold on you if you didn't lean on the back.
Also, the resort representatives that sit in the lobby of each "villa" stalk you to no end trying to get you to do the welcome tour and welcome package. They try to get you to have lunch or breakfast with them and they will sit and introduce Occidental and all their properties. I politely declined every day of my vacation, even though they kept stopping me, slipping papers under the door, and calling the room as early as 7:30AM. I clearly told the guy that having appointments, meetings and being on a schedule was exactly what I was trying to escape the 6 days on the island so the "welcome package" was a no go for us. However we did see many long faces at breakfast listening to the blah blah blah nonsense that they had to say.
Needless to say this trip was a rather unpleasant experience due to many wrongs that could have not been righted even with double amount of rights. From the staking vendors that sat up shop inside the resort selling souvenirs to the attitudes of some of the workers that have clearly never used the laughing muscles in their face. As a first time visitor in the DR it is safe to say I will not be returning. I go twice a year on Caribbean vacations and I am just so upset I gave my business to this resort rather than the ones in Cancun.
Lesson learned. Will never return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach otherwise it's quite a walk. We asked and they places us in b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Grand Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Inavip86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Occidental Grand Punta Cana. We are hospitality professionals who pride us on delivering world class service to all of our guests and us truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you encountered since you arrive. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. Please rest assured that we have already taken the appropriate measures to address the problem with our teams in order to prevent any future occurrences. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Also, your feedback about the Occidental Vacation Club staff has been addressed to their manager, and will take the proper measures so that you or any future guest feels uncomfortable with our staff.

We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back and show you our high standards of a true Occidental Grand Punta Cana experience.

Respectfully,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I've stayed here before with family and loved it. This was my first back back in about 5+ years. The hotel is exactly the same (pros and cons) - with the addition of WIFI throughout the hotel (for a fee). I paid I think $20 for 24 hours worth of WiFi which was fantastic. It worked everywhere in the resort. The only issue is that it is valid for 6 days (not 7) so I would purchase it on your second day so that it lasts the entire week.

The beach is the best, the food is great, grounds and pools are also great. The entertainment during the day and at night was also good. Before I remember there were more day time activities and now there was only dancing lessons. This didn't both me though since we prefer to play volleyball anyway so it was all good. There is a good range of tourists - Canadians, Americans, Germans, Polish, South American. Language barrier is important to keep in mind. Very little service staff speak English.

The only let down are the rooms. The rooms have sadly not changed a bit. They were clean and quite spacious, but they are outdated and definitely in need of a major upgrade. The bathrooms do not seem luxurious at all.

If you would be disappointed with the rooms then I would suggest going with the Royal Club upgrade. Those rooms are much nicer and they also have added perks -- premium liquor, an extra pool, extra bar on the beach and a separated beach area with nicer loungers and beach "beds". I asked the "special" bar for water one day - not even alcohol - and they would not even give me water because I did not have a gold bracelet. Annoying.

I must note, Johana at the front desk. Always smiling and so pleasant. I remembered her from my previous vacations when she used to work in the "fun club" entertainment section. She is fantastic and very helpful.

Overall, it is correctly rated a 4 star resort. If you are going for the beach you will not be disappointed. If you want to feel luxurious and fancy, go some place else :)

Room Tip: Chose Royal Club if you want nice rooms. The 3rd floor has nice high ceilings!
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I visited with my partner in October 2013 for 10 days from London and we had such an amazing time! We ate, drank and laughed until we dropped! The staff are wonderful especially Marcos Lluberes (Front Desk Manager) and Orias ( Guest Relations)

It only rained at night and if it did in the day so very little.

We met such beautiful people there also on holiday. Sipping our cocktails and looking out onto the white sandy beach ah Heaven!
Our room had everything and there was nothing too big or small of the Staff to help you with.

I do not know why this hotel has bad reviews, I met other couples who have been coming back every year for the past 5 years!

I have to thank the staff again for all their help during our stay. Especially again the two gentleman I mentioned earlier, such great guys. 5 star !!!!!!!!!

Hopefully I will return soon, that sun is calling me!

Miss L. Hassouna

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Great resort and outstanding service. This review is for the young party women who plan on drinking at the resort or at the club attached to the resort called "mangoo." Be very carful walking back to the resort as one lady we were with, was walking back to the resort alone in the early hours of the morning, when she was approached by a black van - 3 large men jumped out and tried to drag her into the van. She was able to scream and fight the offenders off to luckily get away. Stay in large groups if you are going out at night and be safe.

Other than that, the beach and resort are beautiful - very friendly workers on the resort. If you are on the beach, be prepared for the locals to try and sell you excursions, necklaces etc. kindly decline and they will leave you alone.

Overall great experience but I'm worried about the younger women going down to let loose and have a fun time, please be careful and aware of your surroundings.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!