“beautiful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #59 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Annapolis Royal, Canada
“beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Had a perfect trip. The staff are the best by far, helpful and very attentive to the needs of the guests. I loved the long walks on the beach in the sun, swimming in water that was as warm at the air. There was not one part of the trip I wouldn't do again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

5,398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Polish first
Huntsville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a good time and the weather was great. Staff and bartenders were lovely. The dated hotel didn't bother us, although the bathrooms really need some TLC. The flooding every time we had a shower was really absurd. The housekeeping staff would take our soaking wet towels and fold them back up, not give us fresh ones.
2 major aspects about this hotel I would like to share, as they really ruined the experience for us.
The hotel allows the locals into the resort on the weekends. Nothing against this as we understand it was off season and there were rooms to be filled. However it was just too overwhelming. We couldn't get a seat for meals, we could not get a chair by the pool. Children everywhere and they were really rude and pushy. Up late at night yelling and banging on the bedroom doors. This made it hard to relax. The second being the amount of solicitors throughout the resort. I am to the understanding that resorts either allow them in or not. People CONSTANTLY harassing us, and I do mean harassing. Trying to get us to buy things or go on excursions. Following us to our room, not taking no for an answer, at some points grabbing my arm when I attempted to ignore. Getting calls in our room early in the morning, coaching me with saying there was a VIP breakfast in the lobby, only to find out they were trying to sell me a condo. At this point we were climbing out the window to avoid. Setting up tables around the pool in the evenings trying to sell things, I would have liked to buy or even look, but the harassment was overwhelming. We truly didn't know how to avoid this. We made the best of our stay, enjoyed the weather and the private beach area. I just wanted to pass on this information, as I am now sharing this with friends and family, and I would have liked to know in advance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I did a lot of research on this resort and several others before coming down. This was my first time leaving the country and I traveled alone. I would consider myself a level 2 - 3 out of 10 as far as spanish speaking skills go. However, a little spanish goes a LONG way here. I stayed from Nov 20 - Nov 27

My airport taxi dropped me off at the resort at about 3:30 which was a little after the official check-in time of 3:00. From the moment I arrived I was greeted with enthusiasm at the front desk and was taken to my room with my bags in a golf cart. During the drive I got to take my first look at the resort which looked amazing. The landscaping was perfect, all the pathways were very clean and the pool looked fantastic.

My room was very spacious, in excellent condition, very clean and cooled with A/C. Very happy with the reception, I was able to unpack my bags in peace. Big thank you to ANA my room keeper for doing an amazing job the whole week and for being a complete sweetheart. Every afternoon my room was cleaned and fridge restocked with 2 Pepsis, 2 7UPs, 2 Brahma Cervesa cans and 2 big bottles of water. My TV had A LOT of channels.

There are several restaurants on the premises which require a reservation. They are all pretty good, but you honestly don't even need to go to them. The buffets are all outstanding and every single meal was very delicious. Everyone will definitely find something to eat that they love. There is so much variety and everything is kept very fresh. The home run sports bar is also very clutch for snacks, as is the all night customized pizza bar (La Fontana).

I had a very good experience with all the staff and found everybody to be very friendly. Again, a little spanish goes a LONG way here. Use "por favor" and "gracias" generously. A simple smile and an "hola, buenos dia" really does go a long way. I can't stress enough the importance of a positive attitude and basic politeness toward other human beings. I would bet that a lot of the people who made bad reviews need to re-adjust how they interact with other people. Another special shout out to ISIDRO at the beach bar for awesome service as well as JUAN PABLO who was a big help in checking me out of the hotel.

The beach is outstanding. My weather forecast said it was going to rain all week, but it was actually 80 degrees (fahrenheight) and sunny all week. It may have rained for a total of 45 mins during my stay. It looks just like the pictures. Sand is always very comfortable to walk barefoot no matter how hot. Ocean is very beautiful. It's true that the canopy chairs get taken pretty early but it's definitely not hard to get a regular lounge chair.

The pools are all very clean and the water is nice and comfortable most hours of the day. Lot's of fun to go to the poolside bar!!

It's true that your room concierge will attempt to get you to go to a seminar to become a member of the hotels vacation club. If you don't want to go just tell them that you are all set. I was not hassled.

There is a whole team of people who lead activities during the day (dancing, soccer, volleyball, tons of other stuff) and host pool parties too. Every night they put on a variety show involving music performances, contestant games, beauty pageants and all sorts of other random stuff. It's really fun to grab some drinks by the show bar and watch the entertainment.

The lobby is a great area where lots of people go to meet in the evenings and of course there is a bar there. I spent several evenings there and met a lot of unforgettable people. Lot's of comfortable chairs, couches, tables, love seats and areas to relax. There is also a casino which is nothing special, a few slot machines and a big roulette machine in the middle.

Part of why I picked this resort was the nightclub (or Disco Theque) called Mangu which is on the premises. It was OK but nothing too special. Only one floor was open and there was supposed to be two. The place starts getting good around 1 am and clears out by 4. Mostly locals and other resort members. There are some hookers but they are easy to spot and won't bother you. Music pretty solid, good DJ playing international hits. I hope you like merengue/bachata! There will be a lot of it everywhere in the DR

The value of this resort is phenomenal. I got the "Deluxe" (cheapest) room. I paid $95 USD per night for all the food, alcohol, swimming, beaching, rooming and entertainment I could handle. There is nowhere else in the world you can do that.

Occidental gets my full praise. The resort is exceptionally safe and so is the outside area town of Friusa (take a walk and check it out for a real taste of life in the DR).

Some of the bad reviews made me weary but I am glad I ignored them. I'm not sure what made some people feel so nasty but my experience was completely positive. Again, basic politeness, a little bit of spanish and TIPS go a long way. Most people don't tip, but I found that a dollar here and there for the people that took care of me amplified the great experience.

Cant wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I have visited this resort many times and I have a wonderful vacation every time I go! I love meeting new people and running into people that I have met on previous trips there who are also vacationing there again. The beaches are amazing, everyone is happy and friendly, and you can meet people from all over the world. The resort is what you make of it, you can be as active and busy as you want or simply relax and take in the views.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2weeks from mid November to beginning of December.
Beach is great, good weather everyday. Staff is very welcoming with activities everyday and very good shows at night. Thank you to animation man Jaime as my friend and also to Mario and Arelis.
Will definitely come back to this hotel.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our weeklong stay at Occidenatal Grand Punta Cana resort was awesome, it was full of fun and very relaxing, from kids to adults, we all liked the place and plan to visit this resort again.

But, here are our liked and disliked items during our stay:

We LIKED:
1. Great beach, amazing view, lot of beach chairs, towels, huts and coconut trees.
2. Very friendly stuff at every corner of the resort, Security, Entertainment, Food-Buffet restaurant, Room Cleaning. One of many examples, when my kid lost her DSI during dinner at La Buffet restaurant, after asking one security or supervisor in La Buffet, that gentleman went extra miles and found the DSI and got it back to us when we were sytrolling by the outdoor swimming pool. 3. Noticed, amazing and cheerful person Mrs. Esparenza took good and motherly care of every single kid in her Mini Kids club and on the stage, God bless her, what a hard working an dpassionate lady!
4. At every step at this resort, we felt like we are staying in a very hospitable and frinedly place, staff were very eager to help.
5. The clean paths, green lush gardens, crystal clear outdoor swimming pools all made us so happy.
6. Quality and variety of dishes, foods were above average and obviously plenty of foods and awesome drinks (I personally not a fan of alcohol but their excellent fruit punches).

We did NOT like:
1. Transat Preference club room was kind of dark, gloomy, not so clean and needs lot of touches to bring it up to industry's standards and/or comtemporary, in one night we even found a live cockroach (thanks GOD kids didn't see it).
2. Not a single bar could serve us the natural and abundant green coconut water.
3. Canadian dollar was not welcomed at resort's Guest services, Checkin and Checkout counters.

Suggestions to Occidendal management:
1) Improve the rooms.
2) Accept Canadian dollars.
3) Offer few HALAL and Kosher dishes in your buffet restaurant to attract visitors with Muslim and Jewish faith respectively.

Hope you and your kids will enjoy and like this resort very much. And, Dominican people are great, friendly and cheerful!

Room Tip: Pick pool view top floor room if you are paying for ocean front room.