“If you want to party go here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #57 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Lee, MA
“If you want to party go here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

First let me say I have been here before and loved it (2008) I am not old nor am I a snob. I have been to the DR twice ( this makes 3) and know what kind of country it is. This resort has changed and NOT for the better..Seems Punta Cana is the new Cancun..I paid extra for the "perks" of the Royal Club..I had a beautiful ocean front room that was ruined the first nite by a HIGH SCHOOL grad trip by S-Trip.com group..It seems this resort caters to that sort of theme now. I wanted to relax, tan, have a few drinks and unwind from life...Not possiable with a huge echoing party is right out side your room 2 nites in a row. Many complained..check reviews here and on thier facebook page. It all fell on deaf ears. Our room was moved and our Apple rep was told by hotel staff NO MORE PARTIES were to take place..well this staff lies to reps also because 2 days later 2 more parties..I did not pay extra for that kind of thing. I feel like I was treated like a "stupid American" by management staff. Our ROOM was not the problem the party was..Our 2nd room altho beautiful also, the shower TRICKLED..we calld maint and it took him 2 secs and he left then the front desk called to ask how our room was..umm can you tell us what is goin to happen with the shower.."oh he said we need a part IF its in before you LEAVE we will fix it". I wasted 3 days of my vacation on issues I was worn down at this point and just took an extra long shower when I got home. There were 2 GREAT staff member who I need to mention Jose at the RC beach bar was great,fast and funny! and Junnior at the buffets hes a server..he was awsome! The beach is beautiful but get up by 6 if you want a good spot or hut. I dont need to ramble Im sure you get my point..I will NOT come back here..HINTS $10 @ airport to get into country free to leave, airport is crazy slow so leave as early as you can,avoid ppl who grab your bags unless u want to tip them as they run to your bus with them, Dont freat the blue slips you have to fill out they dont read them, They "make" u take a picture at the airport..If u have the balls just say NO!! and scoot past them ..they have NOTHING to do with the airport..waitinign that line almost made us late for our plane! I tried to make the best of it but I can't warn you enough, if you want relax and not party, dont go here.

Room Tip: Royal Club room were nicer then average rooms, but if they are parting no room is safe..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

5,107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had a really fantastic time here.
The hotel had everything we could want and the onsite nightclub, Mangu was a bonus!
Bar staff and waiters were really friendly and charming and the annimation team were great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Overall my stay here was very nice. the room was clean and the staff was great. It was a great place to stay. The food was great but the only thing is that the nightclub was not open because it was under construction.

• Stayed January 2013
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I,m not sure how many times I have been here now, but I just love it. The beach is beautiful, the ocean is picture perfect, and the staff is excellent. Let me just mention Jose and Rosario here, the way they make sure we have anything we could possibly need at the beach, wow!
By choice I stay in the Royal Club, so of corse the service and the standard is high. My praise to the restaurant there! I ask for a room with a ocean wiew, and get it if I book early enough. Waking up to the sound of the ocean.... Guess the rooms are all different, some are in Dominican style, and some are modern, I really do not care as long as they are clean, and Marissa "my" girl who comes inn every day to clean, she knows what she is doing. The hotel is huge, there are many pools to make sure everyone finds what they prefer. And it has so many different restaurants and shows every night. The bar in the main lobby is great fun, packed...There is something to do all the time, it is always a ball game or a dance class to join. Or just walk as far as you can imagine on the beautiful beach. My favourite: just plopp down on the beach and soke up the sun! Stayed for two whole weeks, got a lot of new friends and the time just flew by. Will definitely bee back :)

Room Tip: Find the layout of the hotel, and figure out where you will b spending the most time, and get a room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Before booking this hotel, a friend told me what a great time they had when they upgraded to the "Preferred Club" at another hotel chain in Huatulco. They told us it was well worth the money. When I saw the words "Preferred Club" by Transat for this hotel, I got excited and my expectations were raised only to discover that "Preferred Club" at this hotel actually meant nothing. The first night, they put us in a room that looked like some 2 star dump! We didn't even want to sleep in the room that night. When we finally did come back to the room very late at night, a party went on in the hallway until all hours of the night lasting right until the morning. The "VIP" area on the beach with the private waiter was as disappointing. There were never enough chairs. Easily eighty occupied chairs squished into an area fit for only fifty chairs. It was never possible to get a chair here no matter what time you woke up. And ONE WAITER for 80 people was ridiculous - you couldn't get a drink if you wanted one.
The food was just mediocre - we basically lived on the wood fired pizzas because nothing else was worth eating. The a la carte restaurants were a joke too. The food was disgusting. The whole thing was such a rip off - we have never paid so much for so little! Don't bother.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear MangoPapayaBanana,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay at Occidental Grand Punta Cana. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experiences to our valued guests. We are very sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations.
The issues that you experienced during your stay with us are not typical of the standards of service that we provide to our guests, and we regret your disappointment. I have shared your comments with the head of departments involved in your review and will be conducting an evaluation of our modes of operation and thus achieve the satisfaction of our guests.
We hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Occidental Grand Punta Cana and offer you the service for which we are known for.
North Scituate, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We returned to the DR for the 5th time to relax, as we always have. I love the island, the food, and most of all, the people. The people is what keeps us coming back. This year that wasn't the case. We were not told that the spring break organization,S-trip was going to be there the same week, along with 300 high school students from Ottawa...............see where i'm heading with this?? Between the loud music, the rudeness , the disregard for property, kids staggering all over the place, meals being interupted, evening entertainment being interupted, It was a bad week. The music at one point on the beach got really bad when all we heard was the f-bomb and the N word. We approached a staff member and ask him to stop, we were told by him that they can do anything they want at the beach. The next day the same music was being played at the pool area with familys and children in hearing distance. complaining to hotel managment and s-trip did absolutely no good. We left on a half day excurssion, thinking we were free of this group, didn't happen. 13 of them were with us causing us to be late by 1 1/2 hours.
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ......The weather was fantastic, the food is great, the hotel and grounds are wonderful, and the people are still wonderful, but I will never return to the DR. I work too hard for my vavactions, to have a bunch of kids ruining it. The Hotel made the big mistake for letting this group there the same time as regular guests. Kids are going to be kids, but they should all be at one resort, where they will not bother anyone else. Believe me we weren't the only ones who had a bad week, many other guest had the the same senitments.

Room Tip: just get a room away from the pool and the evening entertainment building 11 and 12 work well
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Oromocto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Occidental from March 2nd to March 8th 2013. I did a lot of research before leaving and upgraded to the Royal Club. The grounds are well manicured and spotless. The beach is beautiful and all the food was excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms do need major renovations. The first room we were placed in was in the royal club however I do believe it must have been the worst one. It smelled, holes in curtains and bed linen, rust in bathroom and fixtures did not work. We were placed in a second level room the next day which was much better. No smell,clean and everything worked. Still not as nice as some of the other royal club rooms, however; I learned they were for "members." The staff were very kind and kept asking us if were in need of anything. They gave us a bottle of wine and room was cleaned daily. I will go back to Punta Cana but not this resort unless the rooms have been upgraded. My sister was with air transat and her first room was awful. They had cockroaches and the room was run down. Her second room was better. No cockroaches, but still in need of repair.

Room Tip: The Royal Club is the best. Just be careful if you are not a member you may not get the"best&qu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear beachgirl277,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Occidental Grand Punta Cana. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful Bavaro beach, the variety of our food and the friendly service that the staff offers to our guests. On the other hand, we are very sorry fort the shortcomings that you encountered with you room.
I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are in the process of renovating our resort which includes enhancing our rooms with new décor and upgraded amenities. The restaurants and Lobby Bar will also feature a fresh new look after the renovations.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future to welcome you back and gain your entire satisfaction and trust.

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!