“Twice as nice with a little strife.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #54 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Twice as nice with a little strife.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was our second time there. (1/8-1/14). The grounds were nice and pretty clean for the most part. Contrary to other reviews I thought the rooms were nice and also clean. For where your at I thought the food was good. Once you realize your not at home, you can come to terms with something's that may not be perfect. Here is a list of the things that I believe are an issue at this resort: The concierge in your villa could be very annoying. There going to try to get you to do a breakfast and promise you all kinds of gifts then try and sell you a timeshare. Don't waste your time!!! Once you say no they don't give up. They will try everyday and then get nasty. You might have to put them in there place. It doesn't stop there. Throughout the resort there are people there annoying you to do excursions. The problem with that is they also don't take no for an answer and try to follow you around the resort. Last but not least is when they let the locals on the resort and let them set up shop. Needless to say how inconvenient that is. Also they tell you that the restaurants are full and are not taking reservations meanwhile there at half capacity. Makes you wonder why that is. (Some say they want money at the door). Housekeeping was ok but sometimes they would only give you one towel. Listen all in all This was a good vacation and if you can get it at the right price then it's worth the stay. Here's my one TIP: due to the lack of beach chairs around the pool and beach area, by 7:30am you will NOT find a chair. People wake up real early and claim chairs by placing bags, towels, or other stuff on them. Once I learned this I was up everyday at 6am claiming my chairs. That seemed like a good time. Is it an inconvenience to have to do this. YES it is.. But worth it when your laying there relaxing and everyone else is laying on the floor.. Hope this helped!!! Enjoy your trip...

Room Tip: Villa 11 is in a good location.

1927
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The accommodations were fine, but things kept breaking and they kept having sewage problems...toilets not flushing, the smell of crap in the dining room.
The food was super fresh and good.
The drinks....there was nothing other than well liquor anywhere, and the drinks were so weak I swear they didn't have liquor in them. The concoctions were delicious- but there was no liquor in them ! THey should have options for better booze, and they didn't.
The security staff were really doing their job. The beach was nice.
But the resort didn't have enough options for things to do. There was only the show in the evening, and eating, and drinking. They should have other places to go on the resort and things to do in the evening, it felt so claustrophobic after a few nights.
Surely they can come up with more options- more bars, with different qualities of liquors, and a nightclub that opens earlier, so you are not forced to go to the show. Or a few different lounges with different vibes - a Sinatra lounge, a latin lounge, something more Euro.
And don't play latin music all day and all night! Too much!
It felt like they had a particular agenda for everyone and that it wasn't about what guests want, but about the OG agenda: dinner, show, nightclub- in that order. With no other options.
I don't think I'd go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Get rooms on the third floor. They are more open feeling.
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Jan 5 - 12 Air Canada Vacations.
Arrived at 2:00, check in not until 3:00. Finally at 4:00 they "found" a room. We were told it was the only room in the resort and they were having to send some guests to other resorts.
Through Air Canada we booked a "junior suite" however noone at the hotel seems to know what that is, despite it being on their own website as well (we received a deluxe room which is the basic room).
The room? TV remote didn't work so they replaced it twice. When it finally did work, the tv didn't work. The maintenance person did fix it quickly. For the inroom safe they give you a key and a lock at the front desk, you have to put it in. First one didn't work, second one didn't work -- same maintence man who fixed the tv pounded the safe with a hammer and the 3rd one then did work. Bathroom door would not latch so even locking the door didn't do anything as you just had to push it open. We had 4 people but only towels for 2.
Other than that the room was ok but not what we thought we had booked. It was clean.
Our appt with the Air Canada rep was at 12:00 on Sunday. Good meeting however she was worried as we hadn't made our restaurant reservations yet. They only take reservations 8:00 - 12:00 however as we didn't know what the process was until after 12:00 the second day we had missed our opportunity and there was nothing available. They did work their "magic " and got us good times. The irony here is that at all of our times, the restaurants were not even half full and they were turning people away. Staffing?
The food in the restaurants was ok (Mexican / Italian / Steak House) however if you have kids take some snacks. Choice is very, very limited. Very funny at the Steak House as they had approx. 8 entrees to choose from, with only one of them being steak. the others were Salmon, chicken, pork, seafood, hamburger, etc. The steak was actually crap.
The food at the main buffet was average however the service in the main buffet is horrible to say the least . Trying to get a cup of coffee or water is like trying to win a lottery. Lot's of people running around however noone actually serving. They want you "in and out".
The Beach Club buffet was ok and the service a bit better.
Same thing every day at the Home Run centre: low quality hot dogs or hamburgers.
Go to the bathrooms in the main lobby or the Home Run and expect at least half (if not more) of the toilets to be plugged and overflowing. The Home Run was actually so disgusting we couldn't even use it and would go all the way back to the room.
Pool was ok however the whole process of reserving loungers is a joke. I was going out at 6:00 in the morning and they were already taken. People would leave towels out all night.
Beach was great, loungers were hard to come by, however if you went out early you could find them.
Entertainment wasn't great at all -- some of the singers actually made us cringe.
Not many of the employees smiled or were a lot of help ... of course there were some exceptions however even average service stood out as excellent.
Not a lot of activities for kids and the kids club looks a bit scary. When we were checking it out, one kid ran through the fence and yelled he was going to the beach.
We were not harassed by vendors on the beach or at the hotel. However, be warned, the concierge in each building is there for one thing only -- to sell time shares. Just ignore them.
We did have fun in the sun however would definitely never go back to this resort or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Tip -- book somewhere else.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at this resort from Jan 6 to Jan 13, 2013. Our room was 23-320...very clean with no issues. People that we met hated this resort as they continuously had no hot water. We didn't have any of these issues. As long as you remember that you are in a 3rd world country and are not expecting a 5 star hotel in Canada... you'll be fine.
We tried the steakhouse, Mexican and Italian a la cartes. The steakhouse and Mexican were good, but the Italian was horrible. I had the beef escalope and my husband had the lasagna. Apparently the lasagna was horrible and I was still hungry after my meal and had to go to the buffet for more food. The food at the buffet was ok...warm, but ok.
The resort is well kept and our room was great. The shows at night were great, although 2 nights were pretty boring and we left. The other nights were exceptional.
It was very windy at the beach, but you can't blame the hotel on this.
The vendors that came in at night were VERY pushy and would probably have sold more if they let people come to them.
Would I stay at this hotel again?... Probably not, but that's because I like visiting different hotels!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The good -
Room (building 11), Food (main buffet, beach buffet, steak house), coffee at the lobby bar, service, ground, beach.
- The little shop by the beach - the price is much better than the airport shop. When I told the owner it is my daughter's birthday, he gave her a bracelet as gift. Bargain the price.
- The beach buffet - the view, the food, the service - it is a pleasant surprise. This beach buffet is better than the other three resorts we stayed before.

What can be better -
- The loud music from the lobby till 1 am. There are about 10-20 people there, but the loud music make hundreds can not sleep. Please turn the speakers at the other direction, not toward the rooms.
- Different levels at the hotel - Royal club, VIP club, Transat, vacation club(time share) ....- There are different area for people to sit in the buffet, on the beach....I don't like it.
- Time share push - the first resort I have seen something like this.
- Not enough chairs - they are gone by 7:30 am.

Tip - Make all your restaurant reservation the first morning (8 am - 12 noon at the lobby). You will get tired of the buffet food after three nights.
- If you want to sleep before 1 am, avoid building 10, 11.
- Bring Imodium (anit-Diarrheal). We each took 5 tablets during the stay. You may want to avoid the cold dish at the buffet.

My son and daughter tried the one-day scuba diving at the catalina island. Great experience but very expensive. I found the excursions at the DR is more expensive than in Jamaica.

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We went to the occidental punta cana jan 13-20, it was awful just to begin with we stay only 1 night, and change for another hotel who is better. We went to the occidental punta cana jan 13-20, it was awful just to begin with we stay only 1 night, and change for another hotel who is better. First of all, the resort is old and dirty, our room was dirty all over the walls and the bathroom is dirt, they changed our room twice and show us 4 other rooms cuz every rooms we saw was dirty and air conditioned made noise. We stay in the room who was less dirty but still, we woke up and talked to the concierge of the building ……this is a racket by the hotel don’t believe what they say they want your money they want you to upgrade and get a time share royal he said that to get better we had to get a poca my father to meet the manager to upgrade $$$? This is disrespectful really we were mother and dauther my dad is working at home. This is an awfull thing to say to 2 client that are exhausted of walking around the hotel in the evening to get something normal and great…and we never get it cuz this is a cheap service and very bad hotel Even if it’s cheaper youll get bad vacation Go somewhere else it break our vacation but we are in a good place now ……..

Room Tip: Dont get any for your own good this hotel need a full makeover AND CLEAN UP!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Kim I,
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations, and for the issues you encountered. Occidental Grand Punta Cana follows strict housekeeping standards which ensure that all rooms are in perfect condition before welcoming a new guest, but clearly we didn’t do it this time. We have immediately taken the necessary measures to address the situation with the Rooms Division Director in order to prevent any future occurrence. Also, I have shared your comments with our chef concierge regarding your experience with our staff and I assure that this will not happen again.
I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are in the process of renovating the décor, furniture and equipment of our guestrooms in order to enhance our guest’s experience.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future and enjoy our rennovations
Sincerely.
Cumming, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had great week here! We arrived New Years Eve, December 31, 2012 and departed January 6, 2013. The resort is on the most beautiful beach (Bavaro Beach) I've ever been on! This beach is better than any beach in Florida, California, Georgia, North Carolina, Hawaii, Mexico, etc. Stunning best describes Bavaro Beach. We walked the beach toward the Iberostar Resort. None of the resorts had a beach any prettier than the Occidental Grand. As far as the staff, all were really nice. Some of the names that I remember were Ruth, she is part of the wait staff in the lobby. Ruth waited on us and brought us drinks each night. Ruth is very attentive and is top notch at what she does. The outdoor buffet by one of the pools, Alfredo was on top of his game in waiting on us. Then there is Joseline at one of the beach bars. He took care of all our orders for El Presidente, Domincan Flags, and Mama Juana. Israel took care of our dinner reservations during our initial checkin. He was attentive and took care to get it right. Lenni assisted us at the front desk when it came to an extended checkout. You can get one for $24. It's worth it. One more person that I must mention is Eleazar. He is over the activities, shows and band. This is a man that enjoys what he does! The first time I saw Eleazar was when the band played in the lobby one night. I thought that he was an island pop star! What a great singer! I didn't realize that he and the band are part of the activities group. He is a true professional and a wonderful entertainer. I spoke with him one night at the beach party. If you have a few moments, talk with him. He is humble and wants to do his best to make sure that he and his entourage are taking the best of care of you, their guests. I will say that Eleazar and his act is one of the highlights of the resort, second on my list to the beach. VIP Travel provided us with round trip transfers. Jerry Paulino is the local contact. Jerry is professional and most helpful with assisting with selecting other outside tours. You are in good hands with Jerry. If you want beach activities, Pepito roams the beach and will assist you with that too. If you have multiple folks wanting some type of excursion and/or beach activity, you can negotiate a better rate with Pepito. He is negotiable. One special thing that Pepito helped me with. I saw a grounds keeper climb up to the top of a coconut tree and pick off coconuts. I asked him if I can have one. He gave me one. I proudly showed my coconut to Pepito on the beach. He took it to someone that had a machete. The machete man hacked off the outer layer. I then took the coconut to the main buffet. A waiter had holes drilled into the top and then served me with fresh coconut milk. He then took the coconut and cut it open, extracting the meat from inside. It was all delicious!

There are a few silly nuances about the resort. Most folks spend time in the main lobby for one reason or another. The restrooms in the main lobby also serve as the main restroom for the buffet too. Almost every time that I went into the lobby men's room, the housekeeper was in the restroom too. The cleaning ladies will walk right into the men's restroom and clean up while you are in there doing your business. They will give you a friedly "Hola" while they are in there cleaning up. Another funny nuance is on New Years Eve while attempting to enter the main buffet, I was denied entry because I was in khaki shorts. I had to go back to the room and put on a pair of long khaki pants, but yet I was allowed to wear flip flops. My teenage daughter was allowed entry despite wearing cutoff jean short shorts.

The all night wood fired brick oven grill is good, but not great like so many others have alluded too. There is a swim up bar at one of the pools. I was rather disappointed in It though. At times older teens and early twenty somethings would congregate there and play loud music and "funnel" beer. This activity tended to take away from the atmosphere.

We stayed in building 10 room 223. It's true, at night, after turning off the lights, you could see the foyer lights come in around the doorframe into the room. But you could see nothing else. Not a big deal. The TV was a flat screen. We watched the college bowl games on ESPN. The air conditioner is a little tricky. Each time we would come into the room, we noticed the room was very warm. But after returning for each evening, we would turn the air down as low as it would get. The room would get very cool each night. Apparently, there are sensors in the room and it can detect when you are out, therefore, the warm temp upon returning to the room each evening. The housekeeper was excellent and extremely friendly. Be sure to tip a few dollars each morning. You will be well taken care of. The rooms are of good size. The bathroom is of good size too. All floors are tile. The rooms are clean. This room is on the opposite side of the pool and faces the basketball and archery courts. These tend to be quieter at night than the rooms on the other side facing the pool and lobby.

We had the Romance package which included a bowl of fruit with the room. We only ate the bananas. The package also included a 30 minute massage for each of us (3 of us). This made the package worth the money that we paid. I found this package is only worth it if ordering throught Orbitz.com as it only cost us $139 extra for the package and other websites wanted that much extra per person. The package also included a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. They were pretty good. Also included is a bottle of champaigne, which is no big deal. Alcohol is included anyway and we didn't get to drink our bottle and gave it away upon check out. Breakfast delivered to the room is also included one morning. We chose to sleep in our first morning and have breakfast delivered then. That was nice, but half of the stuff on the breakfast tray, we didn't order. I think every room get's served the same thing anyway. A romantic dinner on the beach is included via the Royal Club. The night that we had selected was pretty much a sand storm. The wind was blowing so bad! We would have been crazy to eat on the beach. Instead of eating on the beach, the Royal Club staff set us up to eat on the patio of the Royal Club. That was nice. The food was really no better than the buffet food. I will say, we had lobster there that night and also on New Years Even in the buffet. The lobster was the worst lobster that I've ever eaten in my life. It was over cooked and tasted old and freezer burnt. They should really strike that from the menu. One word of warning - smoking, You can pretty much smoke anywhere. I saw folks lighting up inside the Royal Club dining room, as well as light up on the patio where we were. Folks were lighting up all around in the main lobby too. You will find that ventilation is quite adequate though.

As far as the concierges that are in each building that try to get you to buy into the time share and other stuff. Not a big deal. As far as the vendors that setup shop and sell their goods. Not a big deal there either. Just tell them all a firm "NO". That's all there is to it. As far as the guys selling cigars on the beach, just say "No Fumar", or "No Smoking". Again no big deal. These folks will leave you alone if you are straight forward and firm in your resolve. I found a few that were persistent. For fun, I would look at some of them and shake my head "No" and make up my own language that no one could understand. They would for sure leave me alone then.

Each night at the outdoor theater we would smell a sewer smell. One night water began to back up into the seating area. The entire theater cleared out. That was to bad as the show was quite good each night.

For breakfast each day, the banana shake and beet shake are absolutely the best!

The Metamorphasis Spa is good too. Juana is one of the therapists there and will take good care of you.

Overall, we really enjoyed the resort and its amenites and would not hesitate to return! Keep an open mind and have a great time as we did!

One more thing that impressed me. Upon checkout, in reception, I received a TripAdvisor.com card from Virgenia (Not sure of the spelling). She asked me to give a review on this website with my honest thoughts and opinions. That illustrated to me that management is interested in hearing the good, bad, and the ugly, not matter what it is and they value my opinion and want to improve where they can. The young lady also told me that she would respond to my input. I am impressed!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 10 room 223. The rooms which are on the side with 223 are quiter than the roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!