“average hotel with very good beach and bad shows” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #57 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
island lake
“average hotel with very good beach and bad shows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Overall the hotel is average and you will be happy here because its clean and the beach is very good. Food, beds, showers are all average for Caribbean.

Pros:
Very good beach
Crepes available at every meal
Pizza available all night til 6am
Free entry to Mangu (but Mangu only busy 2am-4am)
Big quiet rooms and clean hotel
Gym

Cons:
Rooms are humid
Dominican staff are not friendly
Nightly shows are boring
Music is bad (all sad and slow Spanish stuff, NO raggaeton, no shakira, no Mana, no English)
Phone calls are $2/min to Canada and must be made in lobby. You can't use phone cards.
Internet is $16/hr (not a typo)

Tip:
Free water bottles at the lobby bar

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

5,573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This vacation spot was a great time for my whole family. I went with my parents, two brothers, husband and my 4 children ranging from 4 to 10 years old. Food was good...variety and a few locations...plenty of bars too at convenient locations. If you are canadian and are travelling with Air Transat, you have many benefits without extra cost...private breakfast with same variety as buffet but served to you instead, and private beach area and bar exclusive to air transat visitors only. Rooms were cleaned daily. My parents' room had an issue with air conditioning so they moved them to another room...oceanview. Nightly entertainment was good. I even got a glimpse of them practicing for their next series of performances and looks even better. Weather was great...not too hot...enough sun for a good tan but a nice breeze that there was no humidity...beautiful weather. Sometimes light rain at night but never in the day....it looked cloudy every morning we woke but the sun was out by about 10...never failed. :)

Our Air Transat rep Marie-Claude was very honest and open about what our stay will be like and she was right about everything....never tried to sell us anything and warned us about what and who to be careful of.

Esperanza was the employee that worked in Kids Club and was amazing and so much fun with the kids. She was always smiling and happy to see my children. She even sang happy birthday for my daughter on the stage and made her feel very special with all eyes on her and a big applause. :)

The worst part of the trip was the airport...where the pushy men were overly-aggressive about handling our suitcases even when we said no. They will take your luggage off the belt to claim it...I would advise you to take it from them as soon as possible and firmly say no. We had little luggage and 6 adults and we told them no but they insisted and literally took the luggage from my brother's hand. My brother said if you want to take it, take it but I'm not paying you....he took it...then after walking the measly 20 feet he stood there waiting for money. My brother said I told you I'm not paying you and he walked away mad. Leaving to go back home they swarmed us like bees and had 6 men on our luggages even after we said no...they ALL stood there and wanted their own tip...my Dad trying to be nice gave $2 to one guy...and they all came to my Dad for money until he raised his voice to them to please leave us alone. It was ridiculous.

Room Tip: Our family had 3 different rooms...oceanview of course was nice for the view...room is the same as t...
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was so scared to actually go on this trip after reading all the reviews. However, I was nicely surprised by what an enjoyable,fun time we had! The rooms were much bigger than I expected,food offered was much healthier than I expected(I figured it would be all pizza and chicken nuggets), and the entertainment was just that-entertaining! We weren't even royal club! We had a fabulous time.Great value for the money. We woke up every day and went to the beach (stunningly beautiful!),went on an excursion every afternoon( yes we had to haggle but they ended up being waaaaay cheaper than we pay in Florida),and went to dinner and a show in the evening. Sometimes we would go to event they had after the show if it was interesting(karaoke!). I loved how it was so international and we really got to meet a ton of people from all over the world. It was the first time I have seen topless people on the beach- kind of embarrassing for my 14 yr old daughter ,but she got to see how other countries "holiday". We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 11, second floor. I have no complaints. No noise,no bugs,very spacious,midway...
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I went to Occidental Punta Cana and was an amazing experience. The Fun Club team is really good they exceeded my expectation especially Maria La Cubana, she is so professional and the shows every night are wonderfull.
My kids enjoyed too in the mini club they have professional people there to make you feel like king.

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

read some complaints about this resort and wondered if it was same resort i stayed in dec7-14!
buffet was excellant/ service ok and cleaning staff worked endlessly to keep rooms tip top.
T he grounds were immaculate and constantly worked on !! Rooms are clean and nicely laid out.
The person from Conneticut who disssed this resort must have expected a Sandals type place
even tho they only paid 3 star prices!!!
this is good 3-4 star resort and I would recommend to anybody for a very reasonable price..
And by the way people who in other posts have complained about the "locals" staying in resort on wknds- I have the solution-- stay home and hangwith your own "locals"
on wknds

Room Tip: ask for room away from night noise from shows if you are not a night owl
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I went to this hotel for the first time and had a great time there. The food was very good, especially the buffet. The dancing and activities crew was just amazing and friendly. Had a great time specially with Staudy and Jhoan. We had every night great parties at the disco (Mangu). I definitely will return very soon!
I also specially thank Johanna at the reception for her kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

For My 1st Trip To The Occidental Grand Punta Cana was an amazing experience it was also my first time in domincan.i went to domincan with family to celebrate my Uncles Wedding to his New Wife. . Lenny Behind The Front desk was always smiling and made sure my trip was amazing and was always willing to help.. Donata a waitress from the lobby bar always served me and my family with a big smile and always had a new drink for the family to try, and was so efficient..If you are going to the buffet restaurant look for Antonio and his big smile and you'll get excellent service. one of the biggest surprises was the pizza place upstairs.. the pizza's are so good made me feel i was at home.. The resort is very clean, everyone has a big smile to greet you and there is something for everyone to do or you can just put your feet up and relax. We look forward to going back with family and friends again in 2014

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!