“best value for your dollar in punta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #56 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
toronto
“best value for your dollar in punta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

read some complaints about this resort and wondered if it was same resort i stayed in dec7-14!
buffet was excellant/ service ok and cleaning staff worked endlessly to keep rooms tip top.
T he grounds were immaculate and constantly worked on !! Rooms are clean and nicely laid out.
The person from Conneticut who disssed this resort must have expected a Sandals type place
even tho they only paid 3 star prices!!!
this is good 3-4 star resort and I would recommend to anybody for a very reasonable price..
And by the way people who in other posts have complained about the "locals" staying in resort on wknds- I have the solution-- stay home and hangwith your own "locals"
on wknds

Room Tip: ask for room away from night noise from shows if you are not a night owl
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Polish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I went to this hotel for the first time and had a great time there. The food was very good, especially the buffet. The dancing and activities crew was just amazing and friendly. Had a great time specially with Staudy and Jhoan. We had every night great parties at the disco (Mangu). I definitely will return very soon!
I also specially thank Johanna at the reception for her kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

For My 1st Trip To The Occidental Grand Punta Cana was an amazing experience it was also my first time in domincan.i went to domincan with family to celebrate my Uncles Wedding to his New Wife. . Lenny Behind The Front desk was always smiling and made sure my trip was amazing and was always willing to help.. Donata a waitress from the lobby bar always served me and my family with a big smile and always had a new drink for the family to try, and was so efficient..If you are going to the buffet restaurant look for Antonio and his big smile and you'll get excellent service. one of the biggest surprises was the pizza place upstairs.. the pizza's are so good made me feel i was at home.. The resort is very clean, everyone has a big smile to greet you and there is something for everyone to do or you can just put your feet up and relax. We look forward to going back with family and friends again in 2014

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
surrey,bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

tHIS WAS OUR 3RD TRIP TO DR BUT 1ST TO PUNTA CANA , Well all well until I walked into the room that had is misty smell, no tv and the washroom made this noise every 10 minutes( all night long) so I did ask for a change of room in first hour so were told tomorrom at 2 ok , we walked around all good beautiful layout well design, when 2 pm came all front desk and service desk act surprised that we wanted a room change oh we will write it down and tomorrow at 2 I was so mad, but talk to Air Transat rep she said ok checked with front desk and said tomorrow so we waited and my husband tried to fix the water noise and next day the building guy sign us up for breakfast next day and right away I said Timesharing he said no but I knew it so we were going to not go but our room was right there so he got us and I just said to him I am not happy with the service here and not happy with the room what makes you think I will go to a hotel linked to this one he backed off because I was loud and in front of other guest in the building who were new,
We felt like second CLASS guest and it is so sad to see that skin colour does play a part
so room changed on day 2 all good
I just did what I do best who want so one running after you layed back enjoyed the sun and white sand blue water
Food was same thing over and over but fruit and veggies were fresh and nice like the sun .
The STAFF ONLY CARE ABOUT THE GREEN NOTES NOTR ALL STAFF BUT THE DINNING ROOM ONE AND THE BAR ONES WERE THE WORST YOU SHOW THEM A GREEN NOTE AND YOU ARE 7TH IN LINE FOR DRINK U WILL GET YOUR DRINK FIRST,
My husband did complaint to one of the food manager and then the service at the beach lunch become one of the best,
Its the workers who are bad WELL SOME OF THEM .
Clean and all good
IF YOU ONLY CARE FOR THE BEACH AND SUN THIS IS THE PLACE AND YOU GOT TO SAY NO TO ALL THE LITTLE OFTER PIC WITH TWO STAFF DRESSED FOR A SHOW WILL COST YOU 10 US AND NO WATER SPORT IS FREE YOU GOT TO BUY FROM SPORTPRO
I WILL NOT GO TO ANY OTHER OCCIDENTAL AGAIN
BUT WILL GO TO DR BUT WITH A RIU HOTELS .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I was at gran occidental punta cana, this resort was amazing and wonderfull...

You can find a good variety of food, the italian and mexican were the best a la cart,,,, I was in room 11210, house keeping always cleaned my room on time,! Of course I leaved tips in the morning beforo to go at the beach.,

The beach and the pool with wether are huge., I really come back, thanks for the staff of the reception katherine, who helped us in everything

• Stayed December 2012
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was at Occidental Grand for my brother's wedding. This was the first time in DR it was a great experience I would do it again in a heart beat. Lenny at the front desk was very helpful anything I needed he made sure it was done. Lenny is always smilling always happy. Lenny made sure we were comfortable. Donata at the front lobby bar also always had a smile & happy to get us anything we wanted, made sure the tables were cleaned was quick on refilling our drinks. As for the Dining room staff Antonio, Edwardo,Junior, Jhom Kelly, Jose & Enemecia were very profesional always happy to help us. Our rooms were always clean & at night they would pull the blanket down ready for when you get back from your evening. Another great area was the pizza upstairs a great variety of pizza the crust was thin just how i like it it was cooked in a wood fire burning stove it was cooked to perfection we made sure we went for pizza every night before ending our evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We just got back from DR earlier this week and we loved this place! This was our second trip to DR and our first time was not that great (different resort) so we didn't really know what to expect. Also, after reading some negative reviews of this place, we were a little worried. But boy were we wrong! This place totally EXCEEDED our expectations and then some. However, it should be noted that we are members of the Occidental vacation club so we spent most of our time in the Royal and First club areas of the resort. I believe that makes a HUGE difference in the experience that you will have here. We met some other couples that were also members and they had a lot of positive things to say as well. I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Royal Club if you can!! Its sooo worth it! The rooms are very close to the beach, you have your own a la carte restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner (no reservation required - more on this later), your own pool area, your own area on the beach and a beach bar. You also get free unlimited WiFi which is available in all the Royal and First club areas of the resort (and it worked pretty good for the most part).

We were on the second floor of building 21 and we were basically ON the beach, the view was AMAZING. The only downside is that since we were using bonus time and not our actual timeshare week, they don't give you one of the 'fancy' rooms with the separate sitting area and kitchen and huge balcony. It was just a regular room. Which was actually fine for us since we didn't plan on spending a lot of time in the room to begin with. But the maids came and cleaned the room and restocked the fridge every day, we always had an abundance of towels (they would even come back in the evening to bring us MORE towels and chocolates) and plenty of hot water in the shower. My singular biggest complaint about our stay is that they gave us two double beds instead of a King size - however, they did not tell us this when we checked in. It was basically a SURPRISE! when we got to the room. I feel like they should have at least mentioned that ahead of time and asked if we were ok with that. BUT being that the view was so spectacular I figured it was a small price to pay and didn't complain.

The service in the Royal Club restaurant was EXCELLENT. They have the same staff every day, so after the first couple days, you will feel like family. They will already know what you are going to order, have your preferred liquor/drink already memorized, etc. As some others mentioned in their reviews, the resort is somewhat dated but the grounds were beautifully and immaculately kept, the trees and shrubbery were full and lush. The main pool was beautiful although we didn't use it. The beach was lovely as was the beach bar - my only complaint there is that it seems to be a lot of competition to get a good seat on the beach as there aren't enough 'good spots'. By 11 am, all the best spots have towels on them (apparently people get up early to reserve their spaces). They have the beach beds but there were only about 8 of them and they were the first to go. We were lucky enough to get to use them a few times but it was sparse.

Our FAVORITE FAVORITE thing are the resort was the PIZZA! It was soooo good!!!!! And trust me, I live in NYC which has some of the best pizza out there and I've also been to Italy and had the pizza there - so when i say this pizza is good, I really mean it! Nice thin crust, made to order, they have the wood burning oven. Also you must try it with the spicy red sauce. And they're open to 6 AM! You cannot beat that!!!! We ended up having pizza every night. I tried to resist but i simply could not. I loooooved the Hawaiana (ham and pineapples). Oh my God I'm still thinking about it now.. Honestly, I would go back to this place just for the pizza. It was that damn good.

Some other quick notes:

- We mistakenly thought that since we were Royal Club that we didn't need a reservation at the a la carte restaurants. My boyfriend and I had actually just got engaged earlier that evening so we wanted to try one of the other restaurants. So we tried the Mexican restaurant and the actually turned us away even though the place was TOTALLY EMPTY! However, we were not that upset because we still had the option of the Royal Club restaurant which does not require a reservation. But it just so happened another group had just walked up and saw them turning us away and actually ended up inviting us to join them since two people in their party didn't show up. We ended up having a BLAST with them and also a little impromptu engagement dinner (Thanks Min, Scott, Sienna, Mark, Joe and Marjorie if u are reading this!!! lol) The food was actually MUCH better than we expected. Try the steak tempequenas - EXCELLENT!

- We didn't watch any of the shows but we caught the tail end of one as we were on our way to dinner and it looked pretty elaborate/professional. They have a full stage

- Every evening the lobby turns into like a club/lounge type of thing and they have DJs and live performers. Was definitely the place to be if you want to meet others and mingle.

- We also went to Mangu Sat night. It was okay. The music was pretty good but the place is kind of small and there weren't that many people. Our first time in DR two years ago we went to Imagine nightclub which is literally in a huge cave. It was ten times better than this place. Definitely try that spot if you want to go clubbing.

- Our last night there, they have a members only BBQ party on the beach. it was a lot of fun. They had a couple dancing contests which was fun. Then as dinner was served, they had a couple more dancing acts perform as well as a fire show which was excellent. Then they capped off the night with fireworks. It was a great end to our vacation.

All in all, don't listen to the other reviews. This is definitely a solid resort and there is always something going on whether it be the exercise in the morning by the pool, dancing lessons on the beach, one of the shows, drinks/music in the lobby bar, hanging out at the beach bar, dancing on the beach... Even the pizza spot gets pretty lively at night as everyone is hungry around 1-2 am after a day of lounging in the hot sun and drinking all day. We had such a great time and a very memorable vacation here for more reasons than one! We will definitely be back.. I can't wait!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Club
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!