“I've been to better resorts in Punta Cana” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #57 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Haliburton, Canada
“I've been to better resorts in Punta Cana”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Three of us stayed at this resort November 16 to 23. I usually stay at the Iberostar chain but thought I'd try Occidental as we had a good experience at the Occidental Grand Xcaret in Mexico last year.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed with this resort and found myself longing to go home and grateful I was only staying a week. Although it wasn't the resorts fault, my holiday started with my luggage being left on the bus and going to another hotel. Thanks to the hard work of my travel rep, not the Occidental staff, my bag was retrieved several hours later. Our first view of the grounds revealed all of the pools surrounded by yellow caution tape (mother natures fault....torrential rainfall earlier in the week). Thankfully two of the smaller pools were opened the next day.

We were in building 26, right at the beach. I found the room to be adequate but was concerned about the moldy smell which I believe could be traced to the heavy curtains that looked quite black in places. My paranoid mind then wondered about the air conditioning unit and Legionaries disease....LOL, so far still healthy! Also, the promised bathrobe and slippers and beach towels were not in our room when we arrived. When the bathrobes did get there, they were quite ratty looking and didn't have sashes. One night we went without bath towels and had to chase down another roll of toilet paper.

My biggest complaint was the poor service in the buffet. As other travelers have stated, we had to line up, wait for table settings and wait for drinks. I've never experienced this at other resorts. They had a lovely buffet down by the beach that is only open at lunch. I think they are missing a great opportunity to serve guests by not having it open in the morning for breakfast and open as a seafood restaurant at night.

Everyone is drawn to the lobby area in the evening and they don't have nearly enough seating.
Again, another missed opportunity to engage guests. The shows in the evening were really quite good and they usually had something back in the lobby after the show. Although I didn't seek out any activities provided by the entertainment staff, I did observe them in the evening and found they didn't interact with the guests. I have been to other resorts where they get people up dancing (just like in Dirty Dancing!), but this staff seemed very uninterested.

I got very sick on the last day and couldn't make it dinner. The next morning I spoke to several people who were also sick. We suspected something from the lunch buffet.

Beautiful grounds and a beautiful beach can be found at any resort in Punta Cana, so my advice is until the Occidental gets its act together, try another resort. We all work long and hard to enjoy our holidays and we should expect better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

5,576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Polish first
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We were supposed to be here Nov 9th to 23rd, left on the 17th and finished our vacation at the Grand Palladium next door.
First off, it was our 30th wedding anniversary, we told them when we booked it was plus I emailed them twice and got no response, didn't do anything special for us.
This was our 9th All inclusive, we are not picky travellers, but we got lucky this time. If your travelling in the Transat "Preferred' club, make sure when you check in ask for a renovated room, we were initially put in Block 24 (Preferred Club) the rooms were very run down and dated, we asked to move which they did and put us in Block 11, much nicer renovated room,very lucky we did that because a tropical storm came through, flooded the original room we were in Block 24 with 6 inches of water plus flooded and close all pools for 5 days. Block 11 stayed dry thank god. Our friends were at the Palladium and told us all of the pools were fine so we paid an extra 350 bucks and moved over there, worth every penny.
The Service at the Occidental wasn't that great, we went to the Japanese ala-carte, wait 30 minutes just to get water, it wasn't the staff's fault, the whole resort were understaffed most of the time.
The food was OK
The Beach is awesome
The entertainment staff do the best they can as do the waiters and waitresses
Each Block has their own Concierge, they aren't Concierges at all, their only goal is to get you into a time share..NO EYE CONTACT LOL
Also, a person we met there paid an extra 200 dollars for the "Concierge package"..got nothing more than what we got, just a big rip off

My advice to you..Spend the extra money like we ended up doing and go to the Grand Palladium, that resort was AWESOME in every way. But spend your whole holiday at the Palladium, you'll be glad you did

Room Tip: Stay away from Block 24 (Transat preference club) ask for a renovated room right away, Blocks 10-11...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoy the resort all the fun club employes are great i dont remember all the names but they are all great they made my stay great. The shows are fantastic all and all its my 2ndstay. U will continue to come back i love it there

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I travelled to Occidental Grand Punta Cana in the first week of November. I had a great time at this hotel. Everyone is very friendly. First off Marcos at the front desk is super friendly and will go out of his way to accomodate your needs..He is the front desk manager.
Then there is Francisco at guest services who is a sweetheart. He will help you out with whatever questions you have and will get the job done.
One of the supervisors for the waitors and bar tenders is named Delvi. He helps out his staff when it gets very busy and makes sure that the guests are getting fast and efficient service.
Last but not least there is Antonio Jose who works at the bar at the buffet at the beach. He is great and is very creative with making someone a drink of the top of his head.
The hotel is clean, the food is good and the beach is beautiful and thats all you need if you are not to picky.

Room Tip: I was in building 23 and it was the perfect location. It was at the center of everything. I was on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just got back a week ago and I'm ready to return. This is a wonderful resort in many ways. Not perfect, but very nice. There is a lot to enjoy about this place, if you have an open mind and don't have 5 star expectations. First of all, the staff are very friendly and willing to assist you in any way. Be polite and expect to treat them as you would like to be treated. A few dollars here and there go a long way, but don't feel obligated ( but would you go anywhere where you are from and not tip? ). The resort is beautifully landscaped and the beach is absolutely wonderful. The rooms are fine, but not breathtaking, but who spends a lot of time in the room when you are in paradise? They are clean and the staff will get you what you need. We are First Club members as part of the Occidental Vacation Club, so we get some extra perks, but even without that, I would enjoy this resort. Restaurants are good, but not great. Keep in mind this is not a luxory resort where you pay out the nose. Buffet is good, but could have more variety. Theme restaurants are much nicer, but get your reservations in early, or you might miss out. There is an open air pizza and Mexican take out upstairs that is a very nice change of pace. We never missed a meal and never went hungary. They are going to pitch their vacation club membership, but be firm and say no if you are not interested. They will move on. They are not overbearing like some places. In summary, go here if you want a very nice relaxing vacation with wonderful weather, a great beach and a lot of relaxation. Entertainment is limited and activities are ok, but not great. If you expect more maybe you should search other places, but I really like this place and look forward to our third trip there next year.

Room Tip: If you want really good perks upgrade to the Royal Club for your stay. Private beach and bartender w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Gorgeous views and grounds! Good buffet food with a nice selection at each meal. Great food and service in the Mexican and Italian restaurants. The Steak House was closed during our stay and so I cannot review this. Eric was wonderful, charming and very accommodating. He made our Thanksgiving dinner special at the Italian restaurant! After dinner shows were also excellent. Dancers really were outstanding! We had a leaky air conditioner vent and it dripped during the last 2 days of our visit. No one really seemed too anxious to fix it, but not a huge problem as we were not in the room too much and just placed the ice bucket under it. Beach was nice but could have used a bit more ridding of the sea moss. Also, more beach/pool chairs are needed desperately!! By 8am, there was not a beach chair left in sight. Grounds were manicured very well and lovely! We have stayed at many all inclusive hotels and this is one of the better ones. Check in and check out were very efficient and Lenni at the front desk was extra helpful. Only thing to be weary of....the staff trying to sell Occidental Vacation Club memberships. When I am vacationing, I do not want to spend more than one hour listening to their information and when I say "no". NO is what it is--a bit too much pressure in this area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very good!! When we first arrived they gave us a room close to the lobby, I didnt like it so I went to guest services and that's where we met Francisco Ogando, we told him that we would like a room closer to the hotel an within a few hours we got moved to a room closer to the beach nicer/bigger room!... We had the best trip ever! Francisco Ogando is the person to see if you have any problems or questions he will answer/ fix your problem promptly and always with a smile!! We love him!!!..

As for the hotel it is definatly worth a visit!!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!