“The best place in the world-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana)   |
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“The best place in the world-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This hotel on the structure and atmosphere of the best, so I always go back!
There's a very tasty meal! Perfect staff, helpful and very nice!
The beach is always clean, like rooms!
Everything in the hotel gets me go back!
The evening show, it's magical! The guys are real professionals! Playing saxophone player can not be compared with anything! He is the best! )

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

1925
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was my first “all inclusive” experience and first time to the Dominican. We went for my sister in-laws wedding. The first night we were there, a staff member stole $300 from the brides room. Probably shouldn’t have left money in her room, but the fact that a staff member went into their room, went through their stuff, and stole money, is AWFUL. Room service was very inconsistent. We went two days with no clean towels, even though we complained to guest services. The air conditioning was on full blast all the time, there was no way to adjust it. So we absolutely froze in our room at night. The air conditioners were also constantly leaking. Many of our friends had tons of bugs in their rooms, luckily my husband and I didn’t experience that in our room. The food was not very good. I liked the pizza place and the taco place was alright....but the buffet and all of the a la carte restaurants were less than mediocre. I experienced bad stomach problems for months after we left the resort. The liquor was awful....no premium, just domestic. The vodka tasted like bad tequila, for example. So the only thing we drank was beer, because the wine was awful too. It isn’t the worst place to stay....but I will never go again. I’ve learned my lesson and will spend the extra $ to stay at a 5 star resort. It isn’t worth it to have bad food and booze the entire trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

Many times you are promised a cold drink and fast check in when you arrive at a resort. We all know that this is often not the case especially when you arrive at almost 11PM. As soon as we arrived, we had a cold drink in hand and we were checked in without issue within 10 minutes. Five minutes later we were driven to our room. What a wonderful surprise when we saw the beach towels in the room, a full fridge, slippers and a bathrobe(this has happened with other companies I have used in the past). This place delivered what was advertised and Air Transat did not let us down like so many other companies (like Sunwing who had ne carry my own walker up the stairs to the plane, at the airport in Cuba, only to bark at me that it could not stay in the cabin by the flight crew..this, after ground staff made me take it..very poorly run). Our room at the Occidental Grand was always made up by 10am, The bar staff at the beach walked around and took orders, all of the waiters and waitresses at the beach restaurant and at the buffet and a la cartes were second to none. The food was incredible and not repetitive. I can't say enough about the greatness of this resort. I am very picky, and I think they have responded to poor reviews in the past. I could not find a single fault with staff, food, amenities, the room, the festive days they had..ie. Valentines Day or any other aspect of this location. Air Transat Reps were available all day as well. The only thing that I did not like was the nagging of representatives to send you to a 'timeshare meeting'but that is becoming the norm throughout DR and Cuba. Otherwise this has been the best vacation, without a doubt, thanks to the resort, the staff and their management, that I and my family have ever had. Thanks for reading.

• Stayed February 2012
Chatham, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed at the Occidental Punta Cana Feb 26th to Mar 4 , 2012. There were 6 of us, ranging in age from 19 to 75. I want to start by saying we are pretty easy to get along with. We always make the best of every trip and don't let small things bother us.

We stayed in building 23, which from reports of others staying at the resort, seems to be the building in most need of repair. The rooms are very spacious, but do have mildrew smells and even burning candles didn't help in our room. The other two rooms we had were better after the first couple days. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable but the bathrooms need a major overhaul. We had a premanent water leak around the tub which meant the floors were always wet and slippery. The leak in our daughters room was fixed on the day we arrived, in a very expediant manner. We decided that we didn't come to spend any great length of time in our rooms, so this was only a minor set back for us. We had requested one room with two beds. Upon arrival we found all the rooms equipt with a king size bed. We called to the desk and they immediately sent someone with a WHOLE BED. That's right they brought in a frame box spring and matress, which was set up quickly. A hanging curtain was pulled to give each bed some privacy.

The grounds at the resort a beautiful and well kept. The pools are constantly being cleaned and the beach is amazing. There are not, however enough chairs around to pool areas, so we spent everyday laying beneath the trees on the island in the main pool. No too hard to take! It was closer to the pool bar anyways and Henry the bar tender was great. Always joking and making sure we had enough (or too much) to drink.

The evening shows were average and the animation team was sparce around the pool area. They concentrated their efforts more at the beach. All the staff members were awesome! Everyone we met was friendly and efficient.

Our younger travellers went to the Mangu disco one night and quickly returned complaining about the prostitutes making advances to the boys. They were very put off by this and never returned there again. We all enjoyed the night parties in the lobby with dancing and music.

We only went to two a la carte, the steak house was very good, and the mexican was below average. The buffets were good with a large variety of food. We preferred the buffet by the beach for lunch. They seemed to have a better selection. The food at the sports bar over the swim up bar was ok. Nothing to write home about.

We flew Canjet, through AirTransat. If you are travelling with them I hope you have better luck than we did. A 3 hour delay leaving Toronto on the way there and a 12 hour delay on the way back was not fun. Each time we were told that the plane was in for repairs. We were thankful that they fixed the problems before our flight but it was a long trip both ways.

I would recommend to anyone travelling to this location to take insect spray, because we did experience some bits. Nothing major, but the spray helped. Take a scented candle for your room, and remember this isn't a five star resort, but the sun, food and fun are what you make of it.

We wouldn't book this place again, but we did have a good time.

Room Tip: Stay away from building 23 if you can
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Just got back from a vacation with three other gals from Feb 25th - March 3rd. We all had a great time and didn't want to leave!!

THE STAFF
I have to say that I've been to a quite a few all inclusive resorts and generally everyone is friendly but at the Occidental everyone was amazing! There are a few people that were above and beyond helpful and amazing - Chanel, Ony, Vertudes, Jose Miguel, Jose Antonio, German, Malfi, Raul, Leonardo - all gracious, amazing and helpful!!!

The staff that work for the company for the water activities are a little pushy to buy things that are not included but they got the picture quickly and wouldn't bother you if you weren't interested. They are also a few that are a few that incredibly easy on the eyes ;)

The entertainment was great - the lobby parties were so much fun Pupi (the dj) really puts on a show for everyone. The shows were fun but the Micheal Jackson tribute was OUT OF THIS WORLD! the dancers were phenomenal!

THE BEACH
The beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. The sand is soft - almost flour like and the water is incredibly warm, crystal clear and just beautiful. You can walk past all the resorts and all are beautiful but I noticed that our resort had the largest swimming area (the swimming areas are marked with buoy's).

The people walking by selling items on the beach were strangely non-aggressive which I found great - the people in the shops just outside the resort and on the beach (about a 45 min walk) are aggressive and all just want you to come in and "look" which is not true. good tip NEVER pay full price for anything they offer you - for instance 7 shirts they wanted 145 dollars I was able to talk them down to 40 USD.

THE FOOD
There are 4 a la carte restaurants on the resort, several buffets, and a pizza place where they have a stone oven - the pizza's are incredible and the resort also has a mexican place where you can order burritto's, taco's etc. without a reservation. My favorites were the Italian and steak house which are a la carte restaurants, and the Pizzaria which is open from 6:30pm - 5am (good for those late party nights). The buffet was similar to any other place I've been to - not over the top amazing but still good, the breakfasts were the best. Make sure to try the freshly made churros - they are delicious!

THE ACCOMMODATIONS
Our rooms were nice and extremely clean, my room in particular had extremely high ceilings and was pretty nice for the most part. The maid stocked the fridge daily and left us treatswhich was one of the nicest things to come "home" to. The bathroom was a bit dated, and was missing the handle on the inside part of the bathroom door and our air conditioner didn't work for the first few days - it took them 5 days and 4 phone calls to get them to fix the AC. Other then that A++. If you're looking for a super swanky place, this probably isn't for you. It's a gorgeous resort, the pools are clean, the beach is great and the rooms good for sleeping and getting ready - no severe complaints!

GENERAL TIPS
1) Bring smaller bills for tipping - they do not have a lot of change at the resort.
2) Stay away from the "home run snack bar" which is above the swim up bar - it's not the best but it's ok if you've missed a meal and need something
3) Never pay full price at the shops that are not on the resort - you can get them down to 25% of their asking price if you say you're not interested and just walk away.
4) IMPORTANT!! If you are a female and are goign to the club be prepared to be danced with by locals; the club is called Mangu. It is a public bar/club so anyone from other resorts and locals are allowed in. The drinks are not included and were 6.50/drink. We went 3 out of 7 nights and it was great fun for a younger crowd (18-30). There was one night in particular that there was a large number of prostitutes at the club so just be aware and don't sit on the toilets. Nobody was overly aggressive and all just there to have a good time.

We all had a great time and we all would definitely go back again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I would not normally write a review but am sick of reading all the whiney reviews. I was at the Occidental from Feb 20th to the 28th. Yes there were 4 differents Universities there for a grad trip. I found them to be funny , friendly and polite. I was amazed at how clean the resort was with all these kids. The staff worked overtime to makesure everything was kept clean. The students were given an area on the beach to party and we never even heard them. We had a room near the beach and I am a light sleeper and was not woken up once. They went to events most nights at different locations off of the resort. If they were in the lobby bar and I went to get a drink whoever was at the bar would move aside so I could order a drink. Sure there were some drunk kids but they were amusing not puking all over the place. I had a laugh with them. We were all young once and they never ruined my holiday. The rudest person I saw was the older guy who threw a beer at one young man. Why he was taking to long in the buffet line. Yep real mature.
The beach is fantastic. A little wavy but beautiful. Being an older resort they have a prime location on the beach. Our room was big and recently renovated so very nice. The buildings are older but I went for the beach. The food was good . the worse part was trying to buy souvineers in town pretty annoying. Loved Punta Cana and would go back for sure

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We were in 1st club, which lower than royal club, but higher than vacation club. We got all of the advantages of the Royal club except for the restaurant, which we heard was good. Its really too bad, because the food at the buffets and other a la carte restaurants weren't really great.

Starting with the rooms: Nothing too fancy, we had a king bed with a small sitting area. TV didn't really work, but thats okay because who wants to watch it anyway. We had a view of the beach from the room's balcony. The bathroom was also okay, but the shower felt a little dirty and the water pressure was really bad. Toilet didn't flush properly and the water was rarely hot, usually just tolerably warm.

The food: Pretty disappointed in the food. Breakfast is served in one location near the front of the complex. It was usually pretty busy, but with 1st club, we had preferred seating. The churros were great, and everything else kind of sucked. Nothing was so bad, just not good.

For lunch, the same breakfast place was open as well as another place by the beach. They both had the same food, but the beach location was great for the view's sake.

For dinner, we tried all but one a la carte place. Nothing was great here either. Taramisu in the italian place was okay. The best place, by far, to eat on the resort was tacos and pizza. Frania, the main waitress at night, was the best. We went every night and tipped her so she brought us fruit and ice-cream without being asked. She was great. Tacos were good and pizza was too just make sure you take care of her and she will take care of you.

The beach was amazing. We were allowed in the royal club area of the beach which usually had seats available. The bar was great, the bartender, Jose Carlos, was really nice and even made the rounds when he wasn't too busy at his bar. Although the beach and water are great, we did do a little half day excursion. We went on a snorkeling/drinking trip. The snorkeling was okay. Saw several fish, but it was kind of up to you to move around and discover stuff. The guides didn't provide too much help with that. We then went to an open "pool" in the middle of a bay. A few hundred yards from shore, there was a really great calm waist deep pool. We parked and drank with a few other boats near us (free rum and cokes made super strong) The guides were really at their best here (Edgar and Ronnie) With the dancing 45 yr old drunk ladies and all of the other fun people, we had a great time. Wanted to do it again, but were a little hung over the next day.

One more note, premium alcohol was only available in the first club lounge. A little annoying, but not too bad.

Overall, everything was great. We would go back to Punta Cana and maybe to this place again if we got the same price. Under $1000 US for 6 days and a flight from Chicago.

Room Tip: Not sure if you can request, but the closer to the beach you are, the quieter at night. The stage is...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Occidental Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!