“Great Afternoon!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #105 of 161 Activities in Punta Cana
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Gone Fishing is Punta Cana's premier deep sea fishing charter company.We offer private half and full day fishing charters along with shared charter options in the morning or afternoon.All of our equipment is of top quality and have quides that speak fluent English, French and Spanish.We follow strict heath and safety guidelines and are Canadian operated.
Shediac, Canada
“Great Afternoon!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

What a great way to break up "resort fever" ... I have used Gone Fishing for the last 3 years and have always had a great experience on the water. One thing you must remember is the swell of the waves is different from the swells we experience in Atlantic Canada .... what we may think is a rough day is actually a pretty good day for these waters. I would also like to address the comments about having to sign waivers ... this is a known practice for any excursion/fishing company in the Dominican...and any and all excursions once paid for are non refundable. The captain and crew are knowledgeable and will do their utmost best to find the fish for you ... I myself caught a mahi mahi this year and the boat next to us bought in a white marlin (catch and release) ...For a great morning or afternoon I highly recommend Gone Fishing.

Visited April 2012

Montreal
“Mucho Mahi Mahi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I reserved this trip through my travel agent at the hotel because they told me a Canadian guy ran the business. This was a great trip. I wanted to take my 12 year old son for his first fishing trip and this couldn’t have gone better. My son was able to catch 2 mahi-mahi, I gave up my turn him my turn so that he could have 2 (I had to help with the second one anyway due to the size). I read the previous reviews and in my opinion picking numbers is a good idea as probably 4 of the 9 fish caught on our trip were on the same line so my son may have missed out and I found the boat clean and bathrooms worked. My son is hooked (no pun intended) and we will go fishing anytime we have a chance on vacation.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I should have known when we arrived and the people running the charter service were more focused on getting us to sign a release that the trip was non-refundable than sharing truthful information about what the seas were like on the day we went out. We were told that the seas were at most 6 feet and that that the forecast was for the seas to calm as we went out. After we piled onto the boat we encountered violent seas as we crossed the reef exiting the harbor and 12 to 15 foot seas once we were out past the entrance to the harbor. While the boat was being tossed from side to side the weather got worse and we actually encountered a water funnel which clearly spooked the crew. After seeing their reaction and the oncoming storm I told the crew that we wanted to head back. I was not going to allow my family to be out in seas that were clearly not only giving us concern but all of the boat captains out that day. All three boats immediately headed back for the harbor. The weather was so bad that we actually had to wait outside the harbor until the crew could spot the entry marker which took them 10 minutes to find in the violent storm.

Rather than propose a reduced rate for the trip, the crew once again asked us to sign off on another form claiming that we asked to return and therefore no refund... To add insult to injury they made our entire party walk through a "mini mall" to get to our car to get back to our hotel. Not only did they want our money for the charter they wanted us to spend more money in their shops.

Needless to say we chocked this up as a contribution to the DR economy and a terrible birthday experience for my son.

My suggestion. Don't bother fishing with this company and if you ignore this advice if the waves are breaking when you arrive and the team is focused on getting you too to sign a release... then ask to be taken back to your hotel.

Ocean City, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Good value for a half day of fishing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Enjoyed the fishing. It is fishing not catching. It was an older boat but was safe. Although the seas were 4-6 feet (we were told that is typical for March) the period was at least 10 seconds making it quite pleasant. We were with two other couples who could not handle it. Since we were only 2-3 miles offshore we took them back and kept fishing. If you know you are going to be sick, please be considerate of others and stay home. I caught a nice 20 lb dauphin. We could not keep the fish as our hotel, like most all-inclusives, would not deal with the fish. The mate and captain kept it to eat or sell. Since they make less than $200 a month, I can deal with that. Mates in Ocean City, Maryland typically make $300 a day. We paid $127 each and gave a $20 tip to each.

Parker, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
“Apparently, I am not a deep sea fisherman!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife and I booked a 4 hour deep sea fishing trip for $230 from our hotel - the Hard Rock in Punta Cana. We were picked up promptly at the appointed time in a clean minivan, picked up a few other peope at nearby resorts, then headed for Bavaro Beach, about 25 minutes drive. We were given a waiver that they were not responsible if we got sick on the trip. They said the waves were not bad that day, but the waiver should have clued me in. We headed out on a nice fishing vessel with 3 other tourists, the captain, guide, and a first mate. They baited the hooks and set out the lines for us. Then we waited. We buffeted around in increasingly large waves for 2 hours before we even got a nibble. They handed me the pole and I reeled in a Mahi Mahi without much of a fight. That was the only fish we saw that day. They had drinks on the boat, but the waves were doing a number on my wife and I. We both ended up puking violently by the third hour and begging to go back to shore - but there was still an hour left. The crew was very nice and cleaned up the mess we made without complaining. I think they did a good job, but for my wife and I, we were in misery! We both spent the last hour and a half praying that the journey would end. The crew said that earlier in the week they had 12 people on a boat and they were all throwing up. That must have been fun. Good crew and good ship, but clearly, deep sea fishing is not my cup of tea!