“Very nice resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Arena Gorda | Punta Cana, Punta Cana 74100, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #36 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very nice resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall the resort was great. The grounds and amenities was top notch and the rooms were spacious and well appointed. The hotel was not overcrowded at all and we were always able to find spots by the pool or the beach. Now for the lows: food wasn't all that great, but made up for it by sheer volume. Entertainment was also a bit lacking. Some nights were more interesting than others, but left us wanting more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1,307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just got back from a weeks stay at this resort and absolutely loved it! This was my seventh time at an all inclusive resort and it was by far the best resort we were ever at. We've been to Cuba, Jamaica and Dominican Republic several time and this was by far the best food we have ever had at a resort. The rooms were very modern and kept very clean the entire week. There were several bars throughout the resort but the one we spent the most time at was the Sports Bar. Marisol is the bartender from 3-11 and she is amazing! Overall, we had a great vacation and would highly recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Beautiful place to vacation. The beach was great. The rooms were excellent. Very friendly service and always willing to accommodate your needs. The food was average to good, but this is what should be expected from an all inclusive in a different country. The only down side were the beverages. After four days of El Presidente we were definitely ready for some American beer. The alcohol selection was very average. I wish they would have had Crown Royal and maybe Absolut.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend this resort. This is a fantastic value for the $$$. Our family vacations twice a year and this is our 5th all inclusive resort, first in Punta Cana. The rooms were clean, we opted for ocean front and were not disappointed. The resort was clean, staff was attentive and accommodated our requests. We had a mix up with a third party excursion and the desk attendant was very helpful as a translator over the phone.

Food was very good, many options. Drinks were plentiful and higher end brands were available when asked for. We REALLY enjoyed the espresso cafe in he main lobby. First we've seen in an all inclusive..... Helped us with our caffeine habit.

Don't hesitate to book.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

This is the best hotel I have ever been to! At the pool and beach there is an entertainment team. I loved Wilson and sexy coco ! They do all sorts of funny and amazing games! Sexy Coco covered himself in glitter many times! The workers are so nice! They do everything for you! Me and my husband got massages and they were fantastic! Definitely book your trip here! Do not listen to bad reviews!

• Stayed April 2013
Clarksburg, On Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Riu Palace Bavaro is absolutely the best resort we have been to and we have been going to resorts annually for over 20 years. The food was the best ever! The rooms are huge and the resort is very attractive. Pools are great, beach is super! Staff is very helpful and friendly! There is nothing negative I could say. The other Riu hotels in the complex are a little older but the Palace is great! Presentation of food in buffet was awesome. Our daughter is Gluten Free and she found lots of choices!

Room Tip: Garden view was very nice, ocean view are limited but looked to be the same layout. We faced Caribb...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
North Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As many have pointed out, grounds are immaculate, rooms clean, beach nice etc. I personally found it a bit sterile and not very grown in. I am not a big fan of the faux palatial luxury, but of you are you will like this place. Our room was great, get a pool view, as the pools are towards the front of the resort. If you are on the second floor or higher you will also get a nice sea view. We did and had a much better view than our friends on the first floor of a villa.

I like an ego boost as much as the next guy, but having the staff clap in adoration when guests enter the buffet room is just plain ridiculous and humiliating for the staff. I just sat in the sun for 7 hours, drank 9 mojitos and now am going to stuff myself with food and pass out. I should be spat on, not clapped for.

Staff was mostly nice, but at times also aloof and emanating a quiet disdain for the guests. I never thought they'd liked me very much. I also was bothered by the sexism. All the main waiters are men, assisted by female waiters who clearly ranked lowed on the hierarchy. I always tipped the girls. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Food was ok. Not great. I had the runs for three days, stay away from the sushi. It was a bad scene. Suffice to say that I left an extra tip for the cleaning ladies those three days.

Other things that bothered me

Appalling quality of the wine: surely, if you buy wine in such large quantities, you should be able to negotiate a price on some wine that is at least drinkable.

Sorry state of the tennis courts. Somehow this hotel things that pebble-covered-patch-of-concrete is an official type of tennis court.

The casino: I played blackjack in many casinos and know when something is off. In the four hours I played I never saw them change the deck of cards once. I am pretty sure the deck is loaded and stocked with low cards. The dealer wins 80% of the hands and never busts. It still was fun, but be prepared to be fleeced. Part of the experience. The drinks in the casino are also horrendous.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro? Share your experiences!