“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Arena Gorda | Punta Cana, Punta Cana 74100, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #41 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Whitby, Ontario
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I (retirees) spent a week at the RIU Palace Bavaro from February 4. Without doubt this is one of the best resorts we have ever been to. The rooms were well maintained and all of the staff we encountered did a great job.We had no difficulty in finding chairs, either around the pool or on the beach. Apart from the buffet there are several a la carte dining opportunities. We ate in three...the Steak Restraunt; Italian and A La Carte establishments, all of which were of a high standard. Various bars and the entertainment contributed to our overall enjoyment.
We went upon the reccomendation of our travel agent and read the Trip Advisor reports before leaving. There were one or two negative reviews (one in particular) but after our trip we have only positive thoughts about our experience. It is definately a resort that we would revisit.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and overlooked the "carribean market street"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Polish first
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We are a month and a half late with our review but will try and remember all relevant details. We travelled from Dec. 15 - Dec. 23 2012 for our second trip to the Riu Palace Bavaro, since we went on grand opening day. We were a little sceptical travelling to a new resort's grand opening last year, wondering if everything would be ready,but were pleasantly surprised at the great time we had. This year we returned hoping it would be " as " good as last year, and it was even better.
We started our trip as we always do going to the Dominican, with a private escort with Caribbean Dreams. Thanks to Garry for getting our holiday off to a great start as usual. This time we splurged a bit and ordered a pail of ice cold beer waiting for us in our van. We met a nice couple on the plane and asked if they wanted to share the ride to beat the bus and enjoy a better ride and they were amazed at the service as well. After loading our luggage , our driver opened us each a beer and we were on our way. This saves between an hour or two versus the bus and is well worth the $ 40 per van, getting you to your hotel well ahead of the busy check-in after the bus arrives.
Once at the hotel we were greeted by Montero the door man, who is a gentle giant standing nearly 7 feet tall. He is the friendliest person you could hope to meet, and collected all our luggage and lead us inside where a welcome cocktail was waiting. At the front desk we were served by Nelson Amparo, Reception Assistant Manager, with the warmest welcome as he did last year and graciously upgraded us to a villa which made our stay so perfect. We can't thank him enough and it is things like this that will keep us coming back. Our 20th anniversary is this fall and are strongly considering spending it here.
The hotel is so much more appealing this year as there is grass now and the shrubs and flowers are maturing nicely, compared to opening week. The gardeners work so hard to make the place look good for the little they are paid, so show your appreciation with a small tip or even a polite " buenos dias" . Also the maids who clean your room and replenish your supplies deserve a big thank you. It was sad to see so many of the workers we got to know last year not there anymore, but the new employees were just as nice. One of my favorites was Jonathan, who seated and served us every morning at breakfast, although he kept saying my wife was " Number 1 " and not me. I guess I'll have to keep going back until he gets it right!!! My favourites though are the bartenders at the main swim-up pool bar. I will probably forget someone but here are some of the best. Mateo was my personal favourite as he treated me like gold all week long and was very entertaining. Nelson was also very attentive and a blast to be around. Franklin working up top is an amazing server as was Kennedy . Angel serenaded us every chance he got and most of the other guys joined him which was alot of fun seeing how passionate they are of their culture. Louis - Jean working at the vip pool bar served us our first drinks of the day as this was closest to our rooms.
The real clincher at this resort is the annimation team that keeps you busy with an endless array of activities. From darts, bocce, horseshoes, mini-golf, volleyball, aerobics, latin dancing, and bingo, to name a few. They make things fun and get you involved to make your trip complete. Some of these characters are, Sexy Belly, Blackie, Maria, Beyonce, Alexandra, Scooby-Doo, Miguel, Bom Bom, and of course their leader Wilson. He is an amazing man who works very long hours and is responsible for the entire operation and it all runs like clockwork. I must not forget Xavier, the lobby bar and coffee bar manager. He was another friendly face from last year and always found time to chat or get you whatever you needed to make your stay more enjoyable. I hope you will be there later this year my friend!!
The choice of restaurants is amazing and the selection is endless. At breakfast, the fresh omelet station is a must as is the mamosa. For lunch, the buffet was nice for some hometown food like pizza, cheeseburgers, and the pasta station. Dinner at the Steakhouse was to die for. We ate there last year and couldn't wait to go back. The surf and turf was my favourite and could have it every night. The Fusion was very nice for trying different dishes.
The entertainment keeps getting better year after year and I can't believe how many people I hear don't go. You don't know what you are missing. You may even be the show one night. Check out the Martini menu when you are there. Expresso Martini is a must try. Hope you try this resort and don't let a few bad reviews stop you from considering this establishment. Just remember you are in a different country and culture and treat the employees with the same respect you yourself would want and your vacation should be great. Bye for now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lachute, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were at the Riu from Feb4th to the 11th with a group of 8. Everything was wonderful! The rooms are very posh and kept very clean. True the lobby is a little garish but I am sure they will redecorate soon enough. The staff are friendly and helpful, the check in real fast and easy(mind you if it is your first trip to an all inclusive you may be a little dazed). We read enough reviews to not bother with the ala cartes and were never disapointed with the buffet. The food was great!!! We have been to the DR 4 times Jamaica,Cuba and Mexico and Punta Cana wins in the beach catagory. I have nothing negative to say except 10 days would be better!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Muskego, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The trip to Punta Cana Riu Bavaro was one of the best ones we have taken.

Resort had a huge beach, lots of chairs always available, VIP section really nice pool with padded beds. Weather was warm and windy which is perfect for sitting in the sun. Very nice dining and a variety of foods always available. Our unit was on the first floor so we had a patio Jacuzzi. The resort was large and laid out nicely. Never any lines or wait for chairs anywhere.

We went on the Outback excursion and found it very pleasant. Roads were bumpy and steep, but the information about Punta Cana was great. We saw a school house, typical home, learned about local vegetation, coco beans, vanilla beans and coffee beans. We also went to a very nice beach and boogie boarded. A very nice lunch was also served. They sold small cigars freshly rolled for $1. Souvenir hats for $12, T Shirts for $10, bracelets and necklaces for $10 as well as a variety of carved items. The fresh coconut oil and vanilla were also very reasonable. The nice thing about it was a portion of the purchase goes to the local schools.

THE OUTBACK TOUR TOUR GUIDE ANGEL WAS THE BEST EVER! FUNNY JOKES ALL DAY LONG. LEO THE DRIVE KEPT THE DRINKS FLOWING FOR OUR WHOLE GROUP.

I learned coconut oil works well to heal sun burns.

Americans are definitely the minority, lots of Canadians and Europeans.

Draw backs

I am allergic to wheat, corn and soy. I printed that out in Spanish and gave it to the waiters in the Alacart Restaurants. They did not comprehend it even though they pretended to. They would shake their heads and say they understood and then offer me cake. I still found plenty to eat and drink.

We were on the first floor and had many mosquito’s in our room each night. We could not figure out how they get in. After a few night of getting bit, we hunted them down before we went to sleep.

Room Tip: VIP was worth it. Our room was 5004 and was a great location. First floor could see the beach if s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just returned from a one week stay at the Riu Palace Bavaro with my husband (we’re in our 20s and 30s). To compare to previous experiences, I’ve been to Cuba five times (Cayo Coco twice, Varadero once, Holguin twice) and Mexico (Mayan Riviera) once. I’ve stayed at Iberostar, Blau, and Barcelo hotels, but not the Riu, so that was a new experience. I tend to write long reviews, so I apologize in advance for the length. I’ll group the important bits together:

AIRLINE/TRAVEL
We flew with “Sunwing” down to Punta Cana. I put it in brackets because it’s not really Sunwing – it’s a contracted Czech airline called Travel Service that does the actual flying. The planes are new 737s, but the seat configuration is terrible (our 6’0” and 6’2” heights didn’t help) and the flying is awful. We both work in the aviation industry (my husband is a pilot for a major US carrier) and we noted that the braking action on the arrival was non-existent. The scariest part was our take-off in Punta Cana on the way back. We began to take off, then the pilots aborted the takeoff and let the plane coast halfway down the runway. Rather than taxiing off the runway and going back to run-up again, they decided to try to take off again halfway down the runway. Our plane lifted off with less than 100 ft left on a 10,000 ft runway. One of the scariest experiences of my life. If I ever go back, it will be with Air Canada/WestJet. Hotel transfer shuttle was fine, though our guide only spoke French. I know our flight was out of Montreal, but my husband is not fluent in French so this was a bit disappointing for him. And, as much as I hate to say it, a lot of the French Canadians were extremely rude on our flights (especially when they found out we were English). Not the fault of the airline or hotel, of course, but it did take away from our experience. The airport is ridiculously fast. 4 flights, including a 747 from Russia, came in at once and we got processed within 15 min. I couldn’t believe it.

CHECK-IN/ROOM
Check-in was really smooth. We mentioned we were newlyweds… not sure if that resulted in a better room or not, but we were given a lovely room in the main hotel (2134). It was a fairly decent walk from the lobby, but it was also nice and quiet with no noise from shows, restaurants, bars, etc. The walls seemed to be a bit thin as there were children next door and we could hear them screaming (why are you bringing an infant to a 5-star resort in a 3rd world country anyway?). The room was great… much better than anything I had in Cuba or Mexico. There were double sinks, a nice new shower, separate toilet, and a large comfy king size bed. Our room faced the “Calle Caribena” but there was never any noise. We had a liquor dispenser with four bottles of different alcohols. The mini bar was well stocked with big bottles of water, soda, beer, and juice. We never had a problem with re-stocking. The only thing I wish the room had was a patio light. We really wanted to sit out on the balcony and read at night, but it was too dark.

FOOD/DRINKS
The food was really great at this hotel. You always need to keep in mind that you’re on an island in a poor country and it’s not going to be out of this world, but there were just SO many options that it was impossible to find something you didn’t like. My husband put it best when he said that every meal there was something that just stood out and you wanted to keep going up for. We mainly ate at the buffet. We made reservations at the steakhouse (Taino) for my birthday, but it turned into a disaster. When we sat down, the waiter immediately said, “Don’t order the beef”… wait, we’re at a STEAKhouse and we can’t order the steak?! We ended up both ordering the chicken. Our appetizers came… a seafood plate and chicken Caesar salad with a dressing (that of course contained anchovies). This would be nice… if only we both ate seafood. So we missed our appetizers and we couldn’t have steak. We hastily ate the chicken (which admittedly was pretty nice), and ducked out before dessert and went to the buffet. Our night wasn’t ruined, but it was a shame that our only a la carte experience was poor. A good note is that the buffet is open for lunch (this isn’t so at most hotels as they’ll have a pool/beach buffet). There is a pool buffet, but the main one is FAR superior. We only found out that it was open on our last day and wished we’d discovered it sooner. It was delicious. Drinks were great and my husband loved the mojitos. I stuck to Miami Vices at the pool (half daiquiri/half pina colada) and that was fine with me. Watch out because sometimes they don’t put rum in unless you tell them to. They also pour it on top of the slush mixture so it’s up to you to mix it in.

BEACH/POOLS
The beach was really nice at this hotel. I was told that the beaches in DR aren’t as nice as Cuba and I found this to be true. While the sand is beautiful and soft, the ocean gets deep very quickly. I would not recommend this hotel to people with young children or non-swimmers as within 10-15 ft of shore, the water will be chest-deep. We didn’t mind this, but it’s something to think about if you like to walk far out. We found it tough to get a lounger if you headed down there after 10 am. It is a public beach and you do get hassled for watersports, coconuts, sunglasses, cigars, etc. It was tough to really relax without people bothering you. The pools were really great though. We spent all our time by the main pool and it was easy to find a quiet spot and a lounger. You could be close to the action on one end (near the bar and animation activities), or you could be at the other end. They kept the pool area immaculate and there were always guys going around asking if we needed drinks. The poolside service was fantastic. There were two other pools: the VIP and the SensiMar. We didn’t go to either of these (we also didn’t go to any of the neighbouring hotels’ pools or beach areas).

GYM/SPA
I spent a morning at the spa getting a massage. It was nice and air conditioned and in a lovely room with music and dim lighting. The massage was pretty decent and well worth the $66 price (RMT fees are high in Ontario now and it’s tough to find a massage for less than $80). I went to the gym almost every day (except the days I ran on the beach) and enjoyed the LifeFitness equipment. The gym is pretty large and it felt empty for the space it has. The cardio equipment was ample… 3 treadmills, two ellipticals, and a bike. They definitely could add in a weight rack (there were no dumbbells or barbells). I was mainly doing cardio so I could burn off the crazy amount of food I ate, but there were a few muscular guys that were disappointed they couldn’t do as much lifting.

ENTERTAINMENT
We didn’t go to any of the nightly shows as we always had a late dinner, but the entertainment team at the pool was really fun and they kept everyone involved.

EXCURSIONS
My husband really wanted to go on a dune buggy excursion, so we did it with the 1VIP Adventures. It was pretty good and the buggies were way better than other ones we saw. I was disappointed with the excursion mainly because it’s basically one big tourist trap. You go to a little hut where they make coffee, cocoa, and a few other spices and cigars. Of course, people are pushing you to buy stuff. Children come up to you constantly trying to get money off of you. It was hard to escape. We went to Macao Beach which was just lined with people trying to sell you everything from palm hats to coconuts. It was impossible to really be left alone. I’ve gone on other excursions in Cuba and Mexico and you don’t get hassled to the same degree that you do in DR. This is of course not the fault of the hotel, it’s an outside excursion, but definitely a fair warning to those who venture off the hotel.

MISCELLANEOUS
The staff were pretty good at this hotel. They were friendly, but I think more than anything, they were confused. There wasn’t a lot of communication between guests and staff and I think this because of the sheer volume of nationalities at the hotel. You never knew what language anyone spoke. There were people from South America, Spain, France, UK, USA, Canada, Russia, Germany, just to name a few. We were never really bothered by anyone (I’ve heard not-so-great things about Russians/French/Quebecers at other hotels, but they all seemed to be respectful and quiet at ours). This hotel is by far the nicest of the Rius, though the Riu Palace Punta Cana also looked quite nice. We went to the Riu Macao which was adults only, but the pool wasn’t as nice and there was a lot of harsh fluorescent lighting. The Riu Naiboa was situated behind our hotel and looked pretty shabby.

Overall, I would definitely go back to this hotel if I were to return to the DR. It was my husband’s first time at an AI and he loved it, so it does make a lovely first impression. If you have any questions, please send me a message. All the best!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have stayed at many all-inclusives, so I have a pretty broad base of knowledge to make what I think are fair comparisons. Mexico four times, Jamaica, and many cruises. This was our third trip to D.R., having stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada, Puerto Plata, and Ocean Blue/Sand, Punta Cana, previously. If you have never been to an AI, you may think that this is the best resort ever. If you have already done the all-inclusive thing, then this review is for you. I am an avid TA user, and obsessively read the reviews before departing. I saw some poor reviews and thought that maybe these people had simply paid too much for their vacation and were being knit-picky. These are the reasons why I, personally, would never stay there again.

Upon check-in, one of the men behind the front desk went through his shady, rehearsed performance of continually walking back and forth to his manager, acting like he was getting us a better deal, but in a hush-hush, "don't let anyone else know about this" manner. He also, under his breath, asked for a tip for himself. Those two things aside, we did opt for a ocean view upgrade, but it was more to get a top floor option, than ocean view. We paid the $30/day for the upgrade because to us, it was worth it.

The beds are really HARD, LUMPY and uncomfortable. Most resort beds are super firm, but there are no mattress toppers to remedy the problem, like at other resorts. The bedspread is just another sheet doubled. You have to request a fleece blanket if you want one at all.

The sink and shower water in the rooms smells very organic. I have never experienced this disgusting water before. I understand that is not fit for drinking, but yuck. Never felt clean after showering. There was no way I was taking a bath in it, so that renders the jetted tub that is the centerpiece of the room, useless.

Air conditioner was not really adjustable even though the thermostat suggested it was. We would turn it off when it got too cold then turn it back on when it got too warm and humid. Kind of a pain when you're trying to sleep.

The food is just eh, but we knew it would not be a culinary adventure before we got there. The expensive food items on the buffet such as jumbo shrimp tails, lobster tails, scallops and filet steak were time rationed and when they did finally hit the buffet again, there was a kitchen manager in a black suit standing over you and giving the stink-eye to make sure you don't take too much. Very Cheesy. Drink mixers were super sugary and became unpalatable very quickly. We knew this as well. We went to town to buy real juice for our drinks which did not please the bar managers. Their juice comes concentrated in big plastic jugs, that is then mixed with more sugar (I assume corn syrup because of the texture). It didn't seem to bother most people, though. Even their Cosmopolitans are made with grenadine syrup and sour mix because they don't carry real juice. Not do-able for me.

I knew from the pictures of the Riu Bavaro posted on TA that the decor is strong hued, sharp and cold. It is even more so in person. It was my thought before I left, that I could use some different scenery for a week. Cosmetically, the place looks like is was designed by a five year-old little girl. The lobby, adjoining bars are a jumble of electric yellow, hot pink and royal purple, and many unrelated shapes and styles that don't work together. It was neither pleasing to the eye or comforting. The guest rooms are stark white, with jarring splashes of purple and hot pink. It was fine when the lights were off. Even the fountains in the courtyard are not relaxing to look at. I do realize that all of this stuff is subjective. I prefer easy-going, traditional Caribbean style, obviously.

Ridiculously slippery porcelain and marble floor tiles throughout the resort, indoors and outside. I personally witnessed two horrible falls and too many almost falls to count, in one week. Most resorts like this do have slightly slippery tile when it is wet, but someone made some dangerous flooring choices.

That is pretty much it. Overall, I would rate this resort Average-, but it wasn't and option, and overall Poor was too harsh. Before I departed, it was #19 of hotels in Punta Cana. When I returned only one week later, it was #21. That speaks for itself. I will say that the staff (except for the front desk) is wonderful. I enjoyed my time in Punta Cana, but we were there for the beach. I would probably pick an Iberostar resort next time because of their superior comfort, soothing ambiance and customer service that was missing at Riu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would recommend this hotel without a doubt! I travelled with my boyfriend on Jan 11- Jan18, 2013. We had no problems checking in. We weren't greeted with welcome drinks but I saw others were. The lobby is great - it has a bar and a cafe. Then you walk straight out into the garden and see the restaurants and the theatre surround it. It is break taking! I felt like I was in paradise for a week.

ROOMS
They were amazing!! The rooms were cleaned by staff twice a day. I never had problems about getting new towels. The liquor dispenser was wonderful however I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. We were on the first floor and no issues with bugs. Water was always hot in the shower. I loved the open concept!

BEACHES
The beaches are gorgeous! I did not see any seaweed which was great. There are people on the beach trying to sell you cheap excursions. BE WARY! If they are not associated with a resort vendor, you are really taking a risk. Talk to your rep (ours was Sunwing), they can give you a better idea about what you may be getting yourself into.

SERVICE
Absolutely no complaints about the service. All staff were energetic and friendly. There was hardly a time where I had an empty drink where they wasn't someone there to ask me if I'd like another. Trust me, these staff members want to keep you happy and they sure did a great job of that. Entertainment staff were lively and you could tell they loved their job. They would have activities on the beach and by the pool each day with a schedule of these activities, visible in between the garden and lobby.

SHOWS
The shows were okay. A lot of them were all dancing. I would have loved to see some singing! They had a Mr. Riu competition between 4 guys (who were there on vacation) and it was hilarious! They had a Michael Jackson night and I swear, I would have been convinced that it was actually Michael Jackson up on stage - he was unbelievable! They also had a circus show which was also fantastic.

RESTAURANTS
I enjoyed all the restaurants except the japanese one and it's only because I am not that crazy about japanese food to begin with. However, if that's your kinda thing, you'll like it. The other restaurants were great. My favourite one was the steakhouse and the buffet. The buffet always had more than enough food. You will definitely not go hungry. Neither my boyfriend or myself got sick from the food at this resort.

BONUS FEATURE
I loved how this hotel has WiFi - everywhere! I think it was a definitely selling feature. I was able to skype with my friends and family while on vacation. This was a great contrast to other vacation I've been on where there was limited access to internet and I paid a hefty fee! You'll just need to grab a WiFi access code from the front desk.

BOTTOM LINE
This definitely is not a cheap hotel in any means. It's in Dominican. It's a Riu. It's a 5 Star. It's brand new. I would suggest shopping around for a good price. Although, my boyfriend and I dropped a pretty penny on this hotel (especially since it was our first trip together), I remember turning to him and saying, "I almost feel like we didn't pay enough!" I was just so taken back from this resort, the beach, the pool, the restaurants, the service and the shows. This is a vacation you'd be lucky to go on.

Room Tip: If you're traveling as a couple, request a room with one king size bed rather than two double be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro? Share your experiences!