“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

You added Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Arena Gorda | Punta Cana, Punta Cana 74100, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Black Fri-Cyber Mon SALE
Ranked #42 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Burlington, Canada
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and 1 year old stayed at this resort and we LOVED it! It was beautiful, modern, friendly and super clean! It is definately a family oriented resort, a lot of families with their childres so it was perfect. The beach was beautiful, the "shopping strip" was beyond convenient. The staff was very friendly and the food was above average for buffet. We did not make it to the a la carte because we were with our 1 year old but food was still enjoyable. All around a wonderful vacation. I would recommend to anyone looking to go to Punta Cana!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

room (decor): the room was great, the AC worked perfectly. The decor was very modern which i didnt mind in our rooms but i think in the lobby it was much. Not that it matters too much, we never spent time in the lobby! We left $5 for our maid everymorning, i asked if it would be the same one every day and they said yes, but i prefered leavint it daily. They are extremely thourough and usually get it cleaned by the time you are back abck your afternoon beach session. Bathtub is in the middle of the room, well it isnt in a seperate room, but it was good because i could sit and watch tv while my husband was laying in bed.

food: I work in the restaurant industry and i know that for me to be impressed with food, i need to spend quite a lot more. This is a 5* resort by Dominican standards in the end. Trust me on this, stick to the buffet. The A la carte restaurants are not worth it. If you do want to try some so that you can enjoy a more romantic night, do the Italian and Japanese. Dont bother with the other two. We went to all four, first we would do buffet dinnet at 6:30 and then dinner at 9...what can i say, we love food :) and after doing the 4 a la carte, we just stuck to buffet. There i a lot of variety and it might not be elevated cuisine, they really do try and youll always find soemthing to your likking. My recommendation, go at 6:30 when it opens, everything is fresh, the meat will be cooked med rare and it makes a WORLDS difference.

Coffee Bar: amazing! We had duoble espressos with whiskey cream and it was amazing. They had high end espresso machines and thats where you got good coffee!

Bar: bad drinks, hate to say it. Terrible drinks.

Pool: you only had access to one pool, the other is for sensimar guests and then VIP. Upgrade to VIP there, its cheaper than through travel agent. We arent pool people so it didnt bother us. its big enough anyway, so its fine, i just hate being told i cant haev access to something :) Never problems with chairs at the beach, though people go and clearly reserve at the crack of dawn. We would go to the left side of our hotel where it was less densely populated.

Beach: a bit of seaweed, but due to waves. If you walk down to the left a bit, you get AMAZING water, so if you are THAT bothered, there is crystal clear water a short distance away.
Weather: we had a bit of cloudy weather the first 2 days and then beautiful weather. When it rained, it was only at night.

Overall we came back relaxed and happy. We were there for 8 days and that was ideal. I wouldnt go back just because while i enjoyed my vaction i didnt love it SO much to go back. Id rather try and experience something new. The only time i went back to a hotel was Dreams Tulum in mexico, and i think frmo now on i might stick to the Dreams hotels rather than Riu. Nothing against Riu, but it just is soooo similar from place to place, you almost forget where you are. If you have already booked, dont panic! You will have a great stay.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 Week Holiday at the Riu Palace Bavaro in
Dominican Republic, this is without doubt the best Hotel we have stayed at in over
40 Years travelling abroad the Rooms, Service, Food choice and quality, gardens and
attention to detail in all areas has to be experienced to be believed. I would recommend
this Hotel to anyone looking for a truly pampered Holiday experience.
Please go and enjoy Service as it is supposed to be.

Bob Gardner

Room Tip: Ask for a High Room we had 3152 a corner room with double balcony and very quite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Traveled to the Riu Palace Bavaro in early October. My previous stay was at it's sister Riu Palace Punta Cana. Comparing the two I would say I did like the moderness of the new Riu Palace Bavaro. But did miss the oppulance of the sister. The food was very good but with the drawbacks as mentioned by other individuals that after 8-9pm food is very limited. My room was very nice. I had to haggle to get a room with a view but that's to be expected. The only thing I really miss at the new Riu from it's sister is that at the other Palace there is "beach butler service" which I think is a real plus when you're lounging on the beach. It's nice when they come around with water and taking drink orders. It's my understanding that the new Riu Bavaro will not adopt this practice which I really feel is a shame. It's a plus especially for what you're paying for the all inclusive. My overall experience was very positive. I found conversing with the people fine with a very very limited spanish vocabulary. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan on returning in the very near future.

Room Tip: Rooms over the bar/show area can be loud. This is a very large property and you can be walking for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend (we were 21 and 24 when we visited) stayed at the Riu Palace Bavaro from the 7 - 21 September 2012.
We were originally booked to stay at the Riu Bambu hotel just next door but upgraded (paid quite a lot) at the last minute as the Bavaro looked 100 times nicer.
After a long flight (and a 5 hour delay) we arrived around 7:30pm and check in was pretty quick and our bags were taken to our room. Maybe it was because we were so tired but at first glance the hotel layout seemed pretty confusing. We were told we were not allowed any access to the VIP section (which was fine) or the 'Sensimar' section which was strictly for the Germans. We found this rather odd, that there was a section reserved for German's but ok we didn't ask questions.

Finding the room was also quite challenging but once we got there we were very impressed with it, very modern, clean and spacious. It was all pinks and purple which I LOVED! We booked a double room but were given two small doubles pushed together, this wasn't really a problem for us but I'm sure it would irritate some people.
Beds were comfortable, shower was big and always had hot water, had a sunken jacuzzi bath next to the sinks which was nice but we never actually used it.
Was a nice touch having a optics in the room! Never experienced this before however we didn't drink much of it (god knows why!!) fridge was always stocked with drinks and if we ran out room serivce would bring some up within minutes.
Whilst I was there I came down with a cold so we spent a few days in the room and ordered room service. There wasn't the biggest selection available which was quite disappointing but the food was delivered in rapid time and was always hot. We had a view over the outdoor relaxation area with the hammocks and day beds and we could just about see the sea - if we stood on our tip toes! Some nights we decided to stay in the room and chill out and we found the music from the hotel next to us was pretty loud - but can't really complain about that.

The pool area was lovely, we spent the whole 2 weeks in the small pool with the bar - making the most of the all inclusive drinks - the drinks are ok, unfortunately they don't use premium brand spirits unless you ask - or tip heavy - so the drinks were a bit hit and miss - the bar staff were nice, remembered our names and appreciated a bit of Spanish and the odd tip.
We met some really nice people around the pool - mainly Americans - some of which we are still in contact with. I noticed a few comments on here saying the Americans were too loud and sometimes yes they were - and so were other nationalities as well!! - but with constant supply of Mamajuana and very strong cocktails everyone is going to get a bit loud. The American couples we spent the holiday with were just having a good time like us and we didn't cause any harm to anyone.
The downside we found were how damn right rude the Europeans were, there were a group of older German people round the pool a few times who were so unbelieveably rude - barged past us, walked through the middle of our conversations, treading on our feet in the pool - no apologies or recognition. They had 'Sensimar' wristbands on and we wished they had stayed in their own section to be truefully honest. Other Eastern Europeans in and around the hotel were also very rude, pushing in queues at the buffet and just no manners what so ever. This type of thing really grates on me and my boyfriend as it doesn't cost anything to have some manners.

The resaurants at the hotel were nice. The Montecristo restaurant was huge and had a massive selection of food. The people on here who complained that there was no selection must be blind because I have never seen such a huge spread of food. Of course there was traditional Dominican food which is different to what we are used to but you have to try these things when your in a different country. You won't run out of things to eat - unless you afraid to try something new. The Mexican night and the Dominican nights at the Montecristo are FAB! They really make an effort with this and they were by far the best nights at the Montecristo.
The al a carte restaurants are ok, its just a shame you have to book for all of them and they only give you 2 time options, either quite early or late. The Italian is quite an odd experience, you are seated and told to help yourself to the buffet which was full of salads pizza, pasta dishes etc so we assumed this was the dinner so we filled our plates. After sitting back down we were asked what we wanted to order off the menu - oh dear! That's just a warning as we weren't aware of this!!
The Japanese is nice, the food is lovely and its very authentic, The Krystal is a nice restaurant, with some weird and wonderful creations that must be tried!! The steakhouse was fab too, you get a massive seafood platter to start and the steaks are huge!! Its safe to say you won't go hungry at this hotel and there is always sooo much food!
The cappuchino bar in the lobby is lovely, the lattes are to die for, you can also get sandwiches and cakes which looked nice but we didn't try any.

The daiquiri bar in the lobby was eerr rather strange as it didn't make daiquiri's it made cosmopolitons. Are they the same? Anyways, they were served in beautiful glasses but oh my goodness they were STRONG! I couldn't drink mine it was just too much!

The staff at the hotel are amazing, they work sooo many hours its unreal, especially the waiters/waitresses and the grounds staff. They look so tired but always say hello and are soo polite, we literally felt so sorry for them as they seemed to work every day for more than 13-14 hours.
The entertainment team - well - they are on another level - its quite bizzare how much energy they have. They also work ridiculous hours every day in the heat around the pool and then on stage at night. By the end of the holiday we were convinced they were on something, because it cannot be natural to have so much energy. But fair play to them they were really friendly and never pushed you to get involved with activities etc. The night time entertainment was ok, some good shows put on but it was very samey. That's my only complaint.

The beach area was amazing, it was like paradise, the sand was soft and white and the sea was blue, some days it was a bit choppy, we arrived just after the hurricane that hit a few weeks before so some nights it stormed as well. We aren't beach people so didnt spend much time down there. Took a walk about 15 mins down to the beach hut shops which all sold the same things and the pestering of the locals was a bit too much. We didn;t buy anything and headed back after a while, however I got a few freebies from them as they tried to get us in their shops! Its worth a visit to see some local produce.
Next to the hotel is Carribean Street which had proper little colonial looking shops and nice souvoniers etc. The locals aren't as pestering which is nice and we spent some time down there and bought a few things.

We were told we could also visit the neighbouring Riu hotels but we didn't, although it would have been nice to see what the others were like.

We did the excursion to Saona Island through First Choice which we were really looking forward to but we really disappointed with.
We were told to be at reception by 7am (very early for us!) so we had no breakfast - it dont open until 7 - and waited for the bus. We got down to reception about 6:50 and believe it or not the bus didn't turn up until 8am. We were fuming. As we boarded the bus we were told that the reps of the trip had a meeting the night before and decided to change the time. Thanks for letting us know...
We drove for around 10 mins to a coach park where we sat for about 30 mins surrounded by about 3 other coaches, we were then told to all board one coach, there was literally just enough seats for everyone, where we had over an hours journey to where we got on the catermaran. After about an hour on the catamaran and a group of very drunk and loud spanish teenagers later we arrived at Soana island which was absolutly beautiful. There was a beach bbq and drinks but this was ruined by being swamped with mosquitos. There were hundreds of them, we were contantly batting them away and we got bitten alive and came up in some nasty large purple lumps. Thank god we had taken our course of maleria tablets.
After about 2 hours on the island we got into speed boats and stopped at a natural lagoon in near the coast. We were told there would be an abundance of star fish, but we couldnt find any and the tour guide managed to dig up one and the poor thing was passed around about 200 people. After that we got back in the speedboat and it was back to shore for another hour journey back to the coach park, and then another minibus to the hotel. We got back just after 7pm so it was a very long day in the sun and even though we enjoyed it, I don't think it was worth the $200 we paid for it. Most of the day was spent travelling.

One day with the american couple we met we faniced going to the local shopping mall, we boarded the free bus that the hotel puts on and went to another hotel to pick another passenger up. Unfortunatly we ended up in another coach park and ushered into a strange looking room with some other tourists which turned out to be the local cigar making factory. I was NOT impressed!! The strong stence of them rolling cigars gave me an instant headache and the man from the other hotel was a total chatterbox and decided to follow us around WITH his hence cigar blowing it all in our faces. We demanded to be taken back to the hotel after about an hour of being there and the whole history of cigars later....
We didn't make it to the mall...

Its a shame you can't go out on your own - this is NOT recommended as its too dangerous - you see locals carrying around machettes and the driving is just unbelievable. Numerous times in the taxis/minibuses we didnt think we would make it out alive. There are hitchhikers in the middle of the motorway and gangs on motorbikes, hookers on the streets etc. It did make me feel uneasy whenever we was out even with tour guides etc. That is the only downside for me.

All in all the holiday was fab and the hotel was lovely. We had a great time there and the weather was great, few days of rain but this should be expected in rainy/hurricane season. Other than that the weather was HOT HOT HOT and humid most days which was a delight from the cold summer we had in the UK this year.
We were sad to leave but most of our US friends headed home after a week - they are so lucky to live to close!! - so our second week was a lot quieter yet we still didn't want to leave the sun and paradise of the Dominican Republic.

I would recommend this hotel to younger couples and maybe families and there is lots to do, its a lovely modern hotel with great food drinks and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Last month, my husband and I spent a most wonderful two week vacation at the new Riu Palace Bavaro. The resort is breathtaking and very modern. We loved the colours and architecture of the spacious and bright lobby area.

The rooms are spacious, very bright and upscale in design. We had vacationed at the adjacent Rius for ten years now and were anxious to try out the new hotel, which we saw going up last year. We were extremely impressed and will definitely return next year. The layout of the hotel room is very elegant. We enjoyed the large balcony, comfortable bed and rain shower in the large, enclosed shower area. The air conditioning was perfect and adjustable. A nice touch was a small fridge stocked with beverages and small liquor cabinet. The coffee/tea pot was also very much appreciated.

The food at the resort was amazing and beautifully prepared, with an incredible amount of choices. We loved the specialty restaurants as well and the variety of fruit and buffet items at the main buffet restaurant. Breakfast was truly amazing. There was a fresh fruit smoothie station with a variety of fruit used such as watermelon, pineapple, papaya, passionfruit, among others. There was a waffle/pancake/fresh donut station, omelette station and a huge variety of fruit, cold meats, delicious pastries, cheeses and hot buffet items as well. If people couldn't find enough food to delight them, perhaps their taste buds need a major overhaul.

It was very easy to make reservations at the specialty restaurants and they were beautifully modern, elegant and smoke-free. The dishes served at them were also most impressive and delicious. It was nice to sit, relax and enjoy a meal ordering off a menu of very tastefully presented dishes. We loved the Italian, Fusion and Japanese restaurants, but didn't try the steak restaurant.

There were three specialty evenings at the buffet restaurant; Gala Night, Caribbean Night and Mexican Night, which were very enjoyable with again a variety of beautifully presented and delicious dishes. There was really too much to choose from.

Another wonderful discovery was that the entire lobby of the hotel was smoke-free, so we could enjoy spending time relaxing and cooling off at the impressive coffee bar and regular bar areas. The coffee bar made the most delicious variety of coffees with freshly ground beans. There was also a pastry and small sandwich section to enjoy.

The staff of the resort are very friendly and helpful and we had no problems with communication. Everyone at the front desk spoke English, among other languages. The guest services employees were very quick to answer questions and happy to be of service and we felt very welcome at the resort and were always greeted warmly with a smile and willingness to help.

The views from every angle of the hotel are magnificent and the gardens, trees, plants and flowers tended to constantly by gardeners. It's amazing how luscious and green all the plants are and how quickly they have grown since the hotel opened last December.

The resort is kept immaculate and clean and constantly attended to by cleaning staff all over the resort.

The entire beach is very wide and just gorgeous and you could walk for miles and miles in either direction on soft white sand. We loved getting up early and headed to the beach to watch some breathtaking sunrises and went for long walks/jogs along the beach.

The gym was very modern and cool, with several state of the art cardio machines and strength training equipment. I only used it once since it was much more fun exercising outside and swimming in the pool or the ocean.

We loved the shade areas around the pool, as well as the shade provided by beautiful palm trees by the ocean. There were plenty of comfortable loungers available around the pool and at the beach.

There were various activities going on day and you could be entertained and involved as much or as little as you desired. There was a stretching class, aerobic class, pool aerobics, among other activities to participate in. We also enjoyed a lunch beach barbecue one day and had paella on the beach on another day.

Twenty four hour Internet access was available in your room and in the lobby. You just ask for your room code at the front desk when you check in. That was a very nice and welcome perk.

All in all, a most spectacular resort and we can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: We had a top floor junior suite overlooking the gardens and found it to be perfect and very quiet.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The last review by Nordie caught my eye, especially the last sentence. “There are definitely some minor shortcomings that make the difference between a perfect vacation and a nice vacation.”
We had a nice vacation last week. The short comings were:
Our first room the ac did not work, nor did the rain forest shower head, and the refrigerator did not keep the items cold. It took forever to get the front desk to move us. In fact they wanted to push us into a lower category room. You should get what you paid for.
Room two, the ac worked but as several posts state, rooms stay warm during the day even with the patio door closed and the card in the slot to make the ac run. Rain forest shower head did not work in this room either nor did the refrigerator keep the items cold. Ice machine was a 2 minute walk from the room. No fun to come back to a warm room after a fun day at the pool and or beach and can’t enjoy a cold beer, soda, or juice.
Wifi was super fast in first room but not strong enough to make a wifi call or download webmail in the second room.
If your room is over the main restaurant you will hear the chairs before they open at 7:00am to after midnight. Same with being over the main stage and hearing the music from 5:00pm to 11:00pm.
Food is too subjective but will comment that the lobster in the Steakhouse and on the buffet is charbroiled. Not steamed. We were also told the ice cream is ice milk. I have no way of knowing besides we never received cream for our coffee at any restaurant but always milk. Which in Spanish is leche.
I would suggest you learn some simple phrases in Spanish or service can come to a crawl. We would sit down at lunch by the beach and forget to ask for water by saying agua. Same thing for white wine as vino blanco. Our mistake but you do get the attitude. Any time we used Spanish service was very good.
Having stayed at three other Riu Palace resorts, Cabo, Cancun, and Palace Punta Cana, I was expecting a prefect vacation but Rui seems to be taking two steps forward and one step back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro? Share your experiences!