“Two steps forward and one step back for Riu Palace Bavaro” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

You added Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Arena Gorda | Punta Cana, Punta Cana 74100, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Black Fri-Cyber Mon SALE
Ranked #42 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Two steps forward and one step back for Riu Palace Bavaro”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The last review by Nordie caught my eye, especially the last sentence. “There are definitely some minor shortcomings that make the difference between a perfect vacation and a nice vacation.”
We had a nice vacation last week. The short comings were:
Our first room the ac did not work, nor did the rain forest shower head, and the refrigerator did not keep the items cold. It took forever to get the front desk to move us. In fact they wanted to push us into a lower category room. You should get what you paid for.
Room two, the ac worked but as several posts state, rooms stay warm during the day even with the patio door closed and the card in the slot to make the ac run. Rain forest shower head did not work in this room either nor did the refrigerator keep the items cold. Ice machine was a 2 minute walk from the room. No fun to come back to a warm room after a fun day at the pool and or beach and can’t enjoy a cold beer, soda, or juice.
Wifi was super fast in first room but not strong enough to make a wifi call or download webmail in the second room.
If your room is over the main restaurant you will hear the chairs before they open at 7:00am to after midnight. Same with being over the main stage and hearing the music from 5:00pm to 11:00pm.
Food is too subjective but will comment that the lobster in the Steakhouse and on the buffet is charbroiled. Not steamed. We were also told the ice cream is ice milk. I have no way of knowing besides we never received cream for our coffee at any restaurant but always milk. Which in Spanish is leche.
I would suggest you learn some simple phrases in Spanish or service can come to a crawl. We would sit down at lunch by the beach and forget to ask for water by saying agua. Same thing for white wine as vino blanco. Our mistake but you do get the attitude. Any time we used Spanish service was very good.
Having stayed at three other Riu Palace resorts, Cabo, Cancun, and Palace Punta Cana, I was expecting a prefect vacation but Rui seems to be taking two steps forward and one step back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Polish first
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I spent 6 days at this all inclusive resort. It was a nice vacation. The room was very modern with a somewhat open bathroom design (only shower and toilet were seperated in two extra rooms, the bath tub and the sinks were in the main open living room area). So be careful if you want to share a room with a friend and make sure this is ok. The food was great and there was plenty of it, but after 10 pm your options are very limited. When you go to the pool or beach, you only get one towel per person, which I found to be a little frustrating at times, especially since the the towels do not cover the entire sun chair. The staff was friendly and if you ask they are willing to help. Overall, I found the resort to be good for the money I paid, but there are definitley some minor shortcomings that make the difference between a perfect vacation and a nice vacation.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bellmawr, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Myself, my boyfriend, my sister, my niece and two other friends just got back from Riu Palace Bavaro, Punta Cana. Very beautiful and clean resort. Communication with the hotel staff was a little tough. I was not really happy with the food....it was ok...but I expected better. We had a "relaxing massage at the spa"....it was wonderful! We stayed in the VIP section of the resort which was very nice....pool was a lot quieter than the main pool. The refrigerator in the room was not cold.....the room service menu was very limited. All in all, we had a really nice time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Every one was very accommodating and very pleasant.. Place was very clean, easy accessible to the restaurants and pool and the beach areas.. The restaurant manager Pasquale made our birthday night more enjoyable by giving us a separate area in the restaurant , and reception
manager Joanna Silverstre arranged our rooms so we can all be together in the same area., made our trip even nicer. Thank you all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MIA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My partner, myself and two other friends just got back from Riu Palace Bavaro.
Will like to start with a special thanks to Joana Silvestre Hotel manager, which it was our first impression; we have originally booked an standard room, and we had an issue with the A/C on our room and Joana was nice enough to give us an upgrade at no charge to a Jr. Suite with sea view, balcony/terrace room # 3025, let me tell you what a view, located on the back of the main building facing the pool and the ocean very nice. Also want to take the opportunity to thank the staff at the buffet restaurant Mr. Mazara and Mr. Pascual restaurant managers, Jose Miguel, Jose Alberto, Elizabeth, and Robles( room bar ) for taking the time to please us, and make that extraordinary service they have giving us. Let me tell you the food at the buffet was the best, they had something different every night, sushi night, gala night, local food night and regular night. We were here for 5 days and the food was never the same, we ate at the buffet mainly every day for breakfast and dinner, only one day we ate at the steak house because we wanted to try the Lobster; the Lobster was good but the sides and appetizer not so good. I liked better the old 1930 or colonial style for the Riu’s Palace with big crystal chandeliers, marvel every were, hand painted roof and wall to wall decoration. ( for example Riu Palace Punta cana)
Positive:
Good deal for the money we paid
Good quality of food at the buffet and Lobster @ steak house
Nice room very modern
Comfortable showers
Comfortable beds
Comfortable room in general
Very nice and helpful service people
Negative:
No presidente beer, they offer a local beer Brahma ( no good ).
They should work on their A/C, on the room we had it at 64, I will said it was about 75-80.
They should work on the water, not much water pressure on showers at night time.
They should be on the lookout at the pool bar, drinks there were altered.
They should have more supervision at the pool area and swim up pool bar, drinking people get a little bit out of control, and jumping on areas that they are not suppose to and bothering other people.
Is not fair that there is only 3 pools at this resort and two of them are for VIP customers only, they should also work on that, because upgrade to VIP are expensive about US 200 and up, depending on the length of your stay. The only quite pools are the VIP.

Room Tip: ours was 3025, if you could pay the extra for the VIP will be nicier, same food and drinks but bette...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked the trip via LivingSocial and Apple Vacations for a quick November getaway. This was my first stay in the DR, and after reading some of the other reviews, I did not know what to expect. The grounds on the property were beautiful, and guests can tell how much time is spent by the staff in ensuring that everything is clean and immaculate. The floors are being consistently mopped, the beaches are raked clean of debris and fallen leaves, groundskeepers chipping off old paint and putting on a fresh coat, etc.

Check-in: The only downside to my trip was that I was due to have a guaranteed upgrade to the villas section of the resort per the package that I bought, yet it was not honored when I checked into the hotel. Whereas it was the fault of the travel agent for any miscommunication, it did take a lot of convincing and many phone calls before the staff allowed my friends and i to "upgrade" to an ocean view room. While it was still not what I paid for, I don't think it should've warranted 2 hours from the time of check-in to present a solution.

Rooms: Rooms are exactly how they are represented in the photos. Open concept and extremely spacious, and the A/C system did a great job in decreasing the amount of humidity in the rooms, however, it never went below 65 degrees F. We did notice that the air may shut off automatically if it detects the balcony doors being opened though. The only downside is that I was really looking forward to the rain shower, but the one that was in my room (Room 2021) was clogged. There's a normal shower though, which worked just as well!

Room Service: The room service is extremely limited. Unless you're clamming for a sandwich at 3am, I would not encourage you to get room service. You'll get more variety and better quality in the buffet areas of the resort.

Pool: The pool was great, and the staff working were extremely accommodating. They were a lot of recreational activities for guests to partake in including- dance lessons, water aerobics, bingo, archery, etc. The hotel got a bit more crowded towards the weekend, and the staff started playing drinking games with the guests. Not really my cup of tea, and I was happy to move to a chair on the beach where it was quieter.

Beach: This property definitely occupies one of the nicest areas of the beach. The staff is really attentive to the cleanliness of beach, and the vendors don't really bother the guests. A simple, "no gracias" and a smile was enough to have them leave you alone. With the hotel being booked at 70% capacity, there were always more than enough chairs and tables for guests to relax in. Side note: the waiters don't really come to the beach, so I would recommend being a tumbler or a water bottle with a koozie to keep your drink cold.

Food: The food overall was ok, but then again, I didn't have high expectations going to an all-inclusive resort. There was a supervisor/chef that was always roaming the restaurants and buffets to ensure the quality of food was met, but my only gripe was that the cold bar (with fruit, seafood, ceviche, cheeses, etc.) was not up to the quality that any food service establishment should have. Instead of having packed ice underneath the bowls and platters, there was a thin sheet of ice, which did not cool the food. In addition, there was a lamp on each station, which made the food hotter than it was supposed to be. I probably sound really nit-picky, but I come from years of experience doing hospitality marketing, this was not sanitary. However, I will say, that all the other hot stations were great. Very accommodating with the palettes of their guests. I would say the food skewed European/American, and there was a lack of Latin food. Montecristo Buffet was better than the a la carte restaurants, and there was such variety. I loved going there for breakfast. I had the opportunity to eat at Krystal and Geisha. Geisha was pretty mediocre, but then again, I didn't travel to the Caribbean to eat Japanese food. Krystal was interesting. I think they were trying to go the molecular gastronomy route, and I applaud the chef for their attempts. The beef carpaccio, beet shooter, fish, and lamb were pretty tasty. The service was terrible. My friends and I ended up serving ourselves (luckily there was a bucket of drinks at each table).

Renova Spa: The spa was a delight. My friend and I booked the 80 minute relaxation massage, and boy was it relaxing! Prices were normal- $135 for 80 minutes and the team was really attentive. It was nice to go away to a candle lit room, plop in some Enya and relax.

Water: All the water is filtered, so ice and water in the restaurants are good to drink! They do provide a caution sign in the bathrooms for guests who are brushing their teeth.

Tips: Staff don't expect a tip from you, but do reward them for their good service if you are receiving it. I did notice not a lot of people were tipping, and the staff were very appreciative when you do. I would say, you got even better service from the ones you gave a few dollars to! Also, leave a tip in your room every morning for the cleaning staff. Not all the cleaning staff are assigned to the same room.

Overall, the resort met my expectations, and the staff (they will always greet you with a smile) really made the stay extremely enjoyable. Free wifi was a huge plus!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days in October 2012. We have stayed at many RIU properties but wanted to try this newer look and feel. Front desk was a breeze in and out. The lobby coffe and pastry bar was easy , kind helpful. Lobby bar was alright, but didnt know how to make some classic cocktails like a side car or negroni. The lobby is garish, and will date quickly, and would be better served if at night the lights were lowered some, and there was some afternoon entertainment. It didnt have an atmoshpere that made you want to linger and hang. The room was terrific, and the jetted tub in the center was ample for a larger guy. Double vanities and a separate shower were great. Not a lot of privacy from the batroom areas to the bedroom and living areas but you can work that out. My room (5137 i think) was sold as a larger balcony and that was worth the price. Housekeeping was terrific.It looked along the path to the water, though was right above the outdoor enteertainment so was noisy at night. Pool service was stellar, and the winding pool was easy in and out and a real joy. Beach was nice, and well maintained. I was refused service at the Macao property but though I had access to all Palace level properties in the complex. Nothing over the top special, but new, well maintained, and perfectly fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro? Share your experiences!