“Relaxing vacation- very satisfied with our resort choice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Arena Gorda | Punta Cana, Punta Cana 74100, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kansas City, MO
“Relaxing vacation- very satisfied with our resort choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I just spent the last week at Riu Palace Bavaro and had such a great, relaxing vacation! My husband and I traveled with 10 other people and everyone had a great trip! The rooms and grounds are very well kept up and very clean! Keep in mind it is very humid so if the air is not turned on in your room, it can get a mildew smell - once the air started running again, the smell went away. Service was great- we called a couple times to get our fridge re-stocked and they took care of this very quickly. We did tip some but never felt pressured to. The staff was always very friedly.
We ate at all of the restaurants and did not have problems with any of them. Our favorites were Krystal and Geisha. We did not love the buffets but were able to find something we would eat. You just have to keep in mind it's not Americanized - if you don't like something, don't eat it and go find something you do!
The beach was beautiful - there was some seaweed and the waves could get a little rough but it was not so bad that you don't want to get in! We split our time between the beach and the pool every day!
We did venture to the casino and "discoteque" - drinks were free if you were gambling but other than that, you were required to pay for drinks at both. From the glimpse of the other Riu resorts, Palace Bavaro is the nicest choice!
I would recommened this resort to a friend!

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room and had no issues with it - we were in our room very little!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Polish first
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back from the RIU Palace Bavaro, It was an excellent trip again as usual. This is my third visit to a RIU Palace, the first two being in Cancun and Los Cabos. The staff is as friendly as ever, and they are always busy either greeting you or cleaning the resort. There is a VIP section, but if you get a Villa, you are automatically a VIP person. There is only one benefit to being the VIP and that is that you get a more secluded pool that is way less crowded than the standard pool. I would highly recommend the Geisha restaurant, it was WAY too much food, but the taste was fantastic. The buffet could be hit or miss depending on what they were making. Other than that, this one is the first one with Wi-Fi in the rooms, which was a BIG plus.

Room Tip: If you want the VIP access from the start, get one of the villas, plus they are closer to the beach...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have read so many bad reviews of this place that i was really scared about the fun and rooms, well they were wrong.

Room

We stayed in the VIP section with a hot tub and it was worth the extra ~500ish. Room was great and the hot tub was great for the rainy days.

Pool

Pool was great with a bar and they would bring drinks to you in the VIP section.

Beach

There was some seaweed but it was really good.

No issues with the food.

We used the funjet transfers to get to and from the airport. No issues.

Why so many bad reviews?

Most of the reviews are americans with little travel experience. The resort is less than 50% American, imo. Most of the bad reviews have one or two posts on trip advisor.

Due to that you need to know some spanish and some German would help you. There are plenty of russians here to.

$3000 with airfare from the states does not get you 5 star dining. This is on the level of cruise ship dining and nothing more should be expected for the price.

I was not pressed for trips but did give some the staff was really good to me.

The most peaceful place i have been in years and a lot better than Jamaica or mexico.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our 8th visit to the Dominican Republic and our 6th to Punta Cana. This is a really nice Resort. We (2 couples) had a great week long stay and never felt like we were not safe nor did any of our personal belongings disappear as I read in past reviews. If there were problems with safety and security they appear to have been resolved.
Prior to arriving at the Resort we had requested 1st floor rooms closest to the beach but we were originally put in rooms on the 2nd floor in the main building. Our interpretation of the 1st floor and theirs is different and we should have asked for the Ground floor not the 1st floor. After I complained and wined a bit they put us on the ground floor in the VIP section. They said that this was a $500 upgrade but we would not be charged for the upgrade. When we booked our trip on JetBlue we were given only two options, standard or superior suites and we chose the superior suites and paid the extra costs. I sent an email to the Resort two weeks prior to our arrival again stating our suite choices and received an email back confirming our reservations and room choices. A special thanks from us to Nathanel and the front desk Manager for resolving our issue.
Once we were moved and got settled in our new rooms we had very little problems for the rest of the week. I definitely recommend the VIP section as it is closer to the beach and you have another pool with a swim-up bar to use. The VIP area is much quieter than the main pool but you get to choose either one but the non VIP’s cannot use the VIP section. The suites were pretty much the same throughout the resort but those in the VIP section are in what they call the Villas section which are closer to the beach and have a hot-tub on the balcony. They were spacious, clean and comfortable. We found no musty smells in any of the rooms which was a complaint I saw in some of the previous reviews.
The Resort is less than a year old and is well maintained as they are continually cleaning everywhere and everything. An issue I had with the resort is that it really did not have much of a Caribbean feel to it due to its modern styling and its glitzy motif. There was no Caribbean music being played and no Steel drum bands. Our experience at the resort would have been a little better if one of us spoke Spanish or more of the staff spoke English. Most of the staff did not speak or understand English other than the staff at the front desk.
The beach is spectacular and they clean it and pick up seaweed daily. There was no problems getting lounge chairs or beach towels at the beach or in the pool area but the resort was not full. There are no huts on the beach for shade but there are plenty of palm & coconut trees so there was no problem if you wanted to get out of the sun. The beach is one continuous stretch but it has three sections to it. The area in front of the VIP is the best. The area in front of the main pool is also good but there seemed to be more seaweed in that area. Between theses two sections is an area that has large rocks on the shore after the sandy area. Be aware of the water in this area as there are also some large rocks in the water that you cannot see. One of people in our group stumbled on a submerged rock and fell. Another individual that we met had a similar encounter with the rocks and she severely injured her foot and toes. There was no waiters/waitress on the beach which would have been nice, so you had to get your own drinks. We walked over to Riu Palace and they had waiter/waitress service on there beach, so maybe that will change at this resort in the future.
The food here is pretty good and there are plenty of restaurants and cuisines to choose from. We tried all but one of them and had no problem finding something we liked. We tried the Italian, the Steakhouse, Oriental, Krystal (gourmet) and the main Buffet (Monti Christo). There is also a Sports Bar open 24 hours and in the Lobby there is a coffee/pastry shop. There is another buffet located next to the main pool for lunch which turns into the Steakhouse for dinner. Just remember that you are in the DR and there cooking is going to be different than you are used to. About the only thing we didn’t like was the lasagna in the Italian restaurant. If you are a dessert lover you will really appreciate the Main Buffet. They had a chocolate fountain and more sweets than you could shake a stick at, I got a sugar high just walking by them. You have to make reservations for all the restaurants except the Buffet between 9 & 11 AM and we had no problems making reservations, but the resort was not full. We have been to Resorts where reservations aren’t needed and I believe this is the way all resorts should be, maybe someday.
We thought we could go to all of the Riu resorts but we tried to go to the Riu Palace Macao next to our resort but they wouldn’t allow any exchange privileges. We had no problem at the Riu Palace a couple of resorts down the beach. Maybe it’s because The Riu Palace Macao switched to adults only on Nov, 1st but we had no kids? The Riu Palace Bavaro is nicer than any other of the Riu resorts so there is really no reason to go to the other resorts but we liked walking the beach and bar hopping at the other resorts along with cooling off in there pools and checking out the other resorts..
The week we were here, most of the guests were Europeans. Americans and English speaking people were by far in the minority. The shows at night were primarily in Spanish but we had fun with them.
The service throughout the resort was exceptional. We tip people when we get good service but very few people, other than us, tipped at all. I can’t say enough good things about the maids, bartenders, waiters/waitresses, bellmen and front desk people that provide us with fantastic service. At times, we may have had problems communicating but they treated us like kings and queens and we grateful for the services. We would recommend this resort and there is a good chance we will return here again.

Room Tip: VIP section on ground floor, closer to beach & pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
zanesville, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Wow!! This resort is fantastic. From the moment I stepped on the premises I loved it!! The food was spectacular. I love seafood and riu provided. The staff was excellent. Everywhere you went staff said hola and how are you!! Animacion excelente for sure!! I really loved the day and night activities with animacion; darts archery, aerobics, and of course dance lessons!! I went on vacation alone, but I always felt part of a group. I made friends from all over the world and especially Dominicans!! I can't wait to return!! I lived my exolente vacation. ;)

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

This is my second Riu resort and I'm still very happy with the Rius. The food here is better than the Palace in Los Cabos and the people here are very friendly. As for cleanliness i don't think they ever stop cleaning it and I'm a clean freak and they way surpass me in the cleanliness dept.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I usually stay at the Riu Palace Punta Cana.I must say this resort is actually the most modern of the Rius. The rooms are gorgeous,the staff is very friendly and attentive. I felt very safe at this resort and the food is delicious,if you stay over 2 days its repetitive but they have wonderful theme nights.I recommend the buffet,I ate at the Italian restaurant and must say the shrimp weren't deveined and the food was bland.
The beach is very clean,I was kinda of surprised that they didn't serve drinks on the beach. Bring cash to the beach as you may want to purchase somethings from the local vendors.I bought two starfish for $10.You can definitely negotiate with the locals. The shops at the resort are extremely overpriced. I recommend going to the plaza or local supermarket for liquor and souvenir.FYI the mini fridge in the hotel room do not really cool well,we had it changed twice.Oh and don't exchange your money US $ is more valuable
Overall very beautiful hotel,you will not regret it.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro? Share your experiences!