“Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #11 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

This place was simply beautiful. The staff and management go above and beyond to make your vacation fun. The resort is huge and there is plenty to do. They provided lots of entertainment and different meals and parties right on the beach. I really couldn't have asked for a better island experience.

Food: 10 or 12 restaurants, some are closed each night. The food was great and they had lots of variety. Restaurants have strict dress codes and are in general, fairly formal. Men need long pants and collared shirts. Women are okay in skirts, dresses, whatever really. My only complaint is that there was nowhere to snack. I wanted to just walk up to a grill-type restaurant and just get a snack. Instead they want to escort you to a table and seat you for a meal. They did have 24 hour room service though. Order food whenever you want. I heard of a few people getting sick but mostly I think it was due to drinking too much and eating strange foods. A couple of people said it was the beef. I was very cautious and tried to eat "normal" foods, however, on the last day I became ill with lots of "#2" and a stomachache for a few days.

Entertainment: The resort went out of their way to set up meals on the beach, parties on the beach, nightly shows in the resort on the stage, and they have a "discoteca" right on the resort that is open til 3am. One night they had a white party on the beach. Everyone wore white and they set up a dance floor. It was great. I wouldn't leave the resort for entertainment.

Pool was huge, beautiful and spanned the entire length of resort. Beach was beautiful but waters are rough. If you have been to Jamaica it is nothing like the calm waters there. The waters are rough with huge waves. Most days there was a red flag meaning you can't swim. One area had a yellow flag though. Regardless it is beautiful.

There is one night they allowed vendors to come in and set up tables to sell you stuff. This was awful--the vendors were extremely pushy. I left it on a comment card so maybe they won't allow that again. Internet cafe is $7 for 15 minutes. Main language is Spanish. Spanish music, spanish speakers. Most of staff can speak English though. Anything else you want to know? Send me a message. I have more pictures.

8,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,781)
  • Korean first
sweett1103
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

room was nice, clean....eager staff...activities were fun...shows were worse then my last cruise...costumes came off (by mistake) hubby enjoyed the flash!...food was good when i got what i ordered...there were 10 of us and they could not sit us together for dinner...we can't move tables together...sorry?...beach was beautiful...water very choppy...ocean side of island not caribbean...waitstaff on beach sometimes....outdoor 1pm lunch grill, get there early and don't expect to get a second pass...free snorkel...NO...pay for the excursion, don't waste your time...night club....SMOKEY!!!!...and empty until late...casino....SMALL....but i won....maybe 3 black jack tables that seat 5-6, 1 roulette table, maybe 10 slots and maybe 2 other game tables...internet signal weak on my laptop, had to go to my brother-in-laws's room, closer to lobby...oh and horseback ride...those horses are on their last leg...you walk through the off resort beach "shops" more like shacks, realy dirty....get a horse, you ride down the beach maybe 1/2 a football field ...they ALL urinate, watch out for the splash...had to change and shower my shoes...and then ride back where they try to sell you a pic of you on the horse and put it on rum bottles with sticke and twigs in them..."mamajuana"....then walk back through buy from me...."cheapy cheapy good deal for you my friend" to resort property , the walk is maybe 50-100 feet ...

• Stayed February 2009
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

This is an adult only resort which I loved. I went in August so it was nice and quiet. The beach is one of the finest I have been to, you could walk forever. The surf was great. The rooms are perfect, although my ONLY complaint was that there should be more offered as far as an in-room mini-bar. They only stock a few beers, sodas, and water. Wine and some liquor would have been nice with mixers.
The entertainment staff was the best! There is always something to do and always someone to do it with which for me was great because I was alone. They will play games with you, be your dance partner at the disco, and just always available and friendly. There are daily dance lessons on the beach and plenty of organized games. My absolute favorite was all of the dancing offered, on the beach, at cocktail hour, at the disco....
Everyone is so friendly and ready to please.
There are many restaurants around the premises and all of the food is great. They always offer lunch on the beach and deliver pizzas and plenty of drinks.
There are many things to do. They have a great gym, tennis courts, pool tables, ping pong tables, daily bike rides, horseback riding, etc. Daily water aerobics, volleyball games ( which were so much fun! ), water polo, and crazy balloon games, bocce, etc.
Every night there is a different show and then off to the disco to dance until 2am.
I slept very little at night but happily lounged on the beach all day long.
I can't say enough about Excellence and their staff.
Special thanks go to the most wonderful employees: Cesar, Manuel, Johana, and Juan Carlo. They made sure I was never lonely and joined in the activities.
Hasta Luego Me Amigos!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
pontefract
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

the punta cana is absolutly fantastiic i would definitly go again the food was fantastic 5 star plus the rooms where cleaned and the bedding changed every day when we got there champagne and wet towel our room was beautifull with champagne and rose petals and fresh fruit we made lots of friends if you read this hi everyone we had a dikky tummy but you can get this anywhere .

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed from 8/16/09-8/21/09. While the resort was pretty nice, it was not as nice as their resort in Riviera Maya which we stayed at last November. The people were much more friendly at Punta Cana, but the food at the lobster house sucked. We both got diarrhea from the bad lobster which was a joke. Anywhere else in the world the lobster would have been a throw back as it was less than a half pond size. They split the small siny in half and give you a half of a tail that looks like a medium shrimp in size as your meal. Besides the small size the meat was soft and mushy and we both got the runs. Nice. When I asked for another tail the waiter gave me a dirty look. This was the only bad food experience we had. The breakfast and lunch choices were awesome. I f the small price difference is ok with you go to the mexican resort instead. The airport in Punta Cana is a hut with no A/C The ride to the resort stinks and is too long and ther country is dirt poor so there is nothing to look at except a few cows and some shacks and a couple crudy towns.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We arrived at the Excellence Punta Cana on Aug. 21st. We chose this hotel because of the adults only feature. We decided before leaving to hire a taxi to take us to the accomodations. This was a great choice for us as it was cool, and our cab driver stopped and bought us a couple Presidente beers on the way. It took about an hour to get there. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and indulged in welcome champaign.
We payed a little more for the Excellence club. If you can it is well worth it as the club serves food and drinks during the hottest time of the day and we found that this was the place with the best air conditioning. The club also avails you a private beach where they will serve you drinks and food. Our room was the junior executive suite and was beautifully appointed. Candles and jacuzzi tub was filled and waiting for us, along with champaign chilled. It was there just for asking. The food was terrific at everywhere. You cant make everyone happy with the food but there are enough places to eat that you will find something good that you like somewhere. The spinach salad was probably the best I had ever had at the Toscana Italian. Our favorite place was the French (Chaz Isabella)....I had chatobrean(sp?) and my hubby had the lamb. The french onion soup was excellent as well as the salads there. We had incredable hamburgers at 3/4 am several times cooked to order. I was impressed. The entertainment was good but the Sax player in the lobby at the Martini bar was outstanding. The disco was a little dead at night but we still danced the night away on our first night. The disco closes at 2. We are gamblers so we enjoyed the casino til 3 am ,when it closes, most nights and it is the last bar open. We came home winners...about 700 bucks at the blackjack table. casino is small but we had fun. we found that the people that won on the slots, which there were several, put big bills in as opposed to 1, 5, 10 or 20s. Everything was clean and well kept. Biggest complaint if any at all was that they turn ALL the lights out on the compound around 11pm. We are night owls so on the first night we were walking on the wooden path to our room. it is outlined by goldfish ponds with a little light strip illuminating them. The very last one had a burnt out light strip so when we decided to go take a walk on the beach, I fell into the pond thinking it was the stairs. Could have been me but it was very dark (thank goodness I was drinking or I might have gotten hurt really bad) We dont do excurtions but all we talked to said every one takes about an hour and a half bus each way.....so it made for long hot tiring days. We were also told to not ride the horses unless you want to feel bad while on vacation. The horses are beat, used, tired whatever. One gal told me her horse collapsed 2 minutes after getting on. All and all, we thought it was one of the best places we have ever been to in the Dominican and we will definatly go back to that place again. We loved it

Little River, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence Resort 8/16 thru 8/20. The property is beautiful. Our room was better than I could have imagined. The service is great. Juan and Carlos at the pool made our stay extremely relaxing. They make sure you are having a good time. We highly recommend this resort. Everyone always had a smile on their face. Little River, SC

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!