“Perfect honeymoon with all the luxury you can think of!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #12 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Melsele
“Perfect honeymoon with all the luxury you can think of!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We got married on 7/8/09 and on 8/8/09 we arrived at Excellence, Punta Cana! You can imagine how tired we were, but what a welcome! Immediately they offered us a glass of champagne, wet towel (you'll need it, because it's really hot over there!!!)

We got to our room and it was perfect. Rose petals all over the place, every day another romantic figure on the kingsize bed...

And then the food, this all inclusive was special, because at night you could only eat à la carte, so no buffet, and that made it very special!

The service is perfect, they'll make sure you get what you want!

What also made it special, at the time we were in the hotel, we were the only European over there, and by that the only one from Belgium.
We understood everyone, but nobody understood us!!!

This was our perfect honeymoon, it couldn't be any better... Thanks!!!!

8,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,746)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Trip Dates 08-17-09 to 08-23-09

Kids: NONE (Adults Only Resort) - We saw plenty of Topless Bathing on the Beach and Topless Lounging by the Pool.

Weather: Excellente !!! ( only Rained 2 days during our stay). The rain would fall for about 5 minutes and be gone. Didn't even leave the pool when it rained.

Staff: AMAZING (Brought $100 in $1 bills and gave them all out) A $1 goes a LONG LONG way there.

Food: Very Very Good... I gained 10lbs over our stay... PIZZA is AMAZING

Drinks: AWESOME (if you end up going, look for Evelyn and ask for the EVELYN SPECIAL) also drink pleny of Banana Mama, and Mama Juana.... lol

Activities:
Horseback riding was Great. 30 minutes is included with the stay and I highly recommend it. make sure you take your cameras, the lead tour guys come around and take pictures for you while you ride. It's an awesome ride on the beach.

Scooba-diving is AWESOME, AWESOME and once more AWESOME. The hotel offers you free diving lessons at the pool. Just walk around the main pool and look for FRANKLIN. Franklin is the coolest guy on the planet when it comes to scooba-diving lessons and the entire underwater adventure. My wife was Really Scared to go, it was both of our first time scooba-diving ever. FRANKLIN spent about a total of 2 hours with us in the pool over a duration of 2 days. He made sure that we understood EVERYTHING there is to know about diving. He is JUST AWESOME. Once we were ready to go we left the resort at 7:30am, drove down for an hour to where the boat was, and took a 20 minute boat ride down to CATALINA ISLAND. This Island has water so clear you can see 20 feet down. We did 2 dives off the island and it was just amazing. We had allot of fun down 30 feet under water. FRANKLIN took care of everything, pointing out all the magnificent underwater life. It was AMAZING. The party dosen't stop there. On the boat, there was home made chicken soup, DRINKS and lots of Booty Dancing to DR tunes. After our 2 dives the boat took us to a beach off the CATALINA ISLAND for lunch and snorkeling. Lunch was not really good and there were mosquitoes on the island, but the beach and water was crystal clear and super calm. It was a ALL day adventure that cost us $360 for two people. WELL WORTH THE $$$$..
Forget about all the other stuff like four-wheeling, go see FRANKLIN and sign up for scooba-diving, you wont regret it !!!

Shops: There are planty of shops off each end of the beach. Shop owners give you free neckline's and CIGARS when you walk around their shops. I got like 5 Cigars just for looking around. They are super cool, but remember what ever they tell you, cut the price in half. We Bought this beautiful stone figure weighing at 30lbs for $35, originally they wanted $90 for it.

Nightlife: There are plenty of shows at night, Michael Jackson Show, Circus, Jaz, DR Dancing, Pool Party, Various beach Parties, they really put on a show.

Beach: Very Very Clean, we woke up one morning at 6am, took a walk on the beach and there were like 6 staff members with rakes cleaning up the beach. No wonder it was always free of any debris. Ocean was very BRUTAL this time of the year (Hurricane Season) Waves were hard and many times the life guards were not allowing people in to the water. Now, on the other hand, CATALINA ISLAND which is on the Carabian Sea is so calm and clear.

Other Tourists: Met a bunch of geat people that were vacationing there. All of the couples that we met were great to hang out with. Everyone was there for the same reason "RELAXATION" and I think everyone left with what they came to achieve, I know WE DID!!!!!

Spa: Very Very Clean and Very good service. JUST AWESOME. My wife won 2 free 30 minute massages for us at the Pajama Party. She was the only one wearing pajamas at the party... lol

Airport Security: Very easy coming in, Leaving is a whole different story. They checked our passports like 7 times. Went through our bags looking for MAMA JUANA liquor and Cigars.

Overall, we had an AWESOME TIME during our stay. This stay sure did create Lifelong Lasting Memories. We will definitely recommend this resort to all of our Family and Friends.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Our trip was very nice, we stayed in a Junior Suite with a standard, non-pool, non ocean view which was very nice in deed. I've stayed at many resorts but this was probably the best.... I'm not sure if it was the time of year, but there were no misquitos, pest or anything else except the occassional mini ants. Be sure to get the appropriate papers while in flight to expedite your progress thru customs in the DR. Follow the instructions very closely and don't allow any cons or savy speaking people to aide you unless your absolutely need it. In the DR everyone works for tips, so don't fool yourself.

At the resort you should refrain from tipping bartenders, waitresses and or host until the end of your trip. It's all right to leave a few dollars in your suite, this will guarentee great service and hopefully minimize theft. The in-room safes are very tricky, always pull on the safe after the operations complete to ensure that it is actually locked. Sometimes they lock and automatically unlock. Don't take unecessary expensive jewelery and make yourself a target.

The restaurants are exceptional...although many feel as though they didn't get enough, the amounts are proportionate and you can always visit a second restaurant. This allows you to cross all boundaries and test each restaurant and make your own conclusion.

All in all the trip was great, I highly recommend this resort for lovers, couples seeking exclusiveness, or a get away from the rush of life. Although the beach is prestine, the water (surfs) is rough. Very pretty, but the waves come quite hard all of the time. Many go to the other side of the island to truly play in the water. It is NOT recommmended for couples seeking adventure with other couples, or singles seeking adventure or adult fun. This is definitely not HEDONISM II, III or DESIRE Resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Baltimore. Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

It was a beautiful place! We were greeted with a cold towel and champagne and they were welcoming us to their family. The room was awesome and we got towel animals and flower petals everyday. We had a garden view on the third floor, but if we looked one way we saw palm trees and mountains and the other was the beach so it was great. Room service was great.
The Restaurants were so great. I do not eat meat and there were always something I could have at every place we went to. My fiance does eat meat and is a picky eater with a sensitive stomach and he was fine the whole trip. Our favorites were Toscana and Agave! One night we were there, there was a Dominican Party on the beach and it was so fun and we met new people there. The pizza and fruit kebabs they deliver on the beach and pool are amazing.
The staff really does make the place, they are so welcoming and friendly. Our favorites were Christian and Juan at the Sol bar near where we sat at the pool. They sang me happy birthday on my birthday. Miguel is also great he brought us whatever we needed and was so friendly. Room Service also brought me a birthday cake (Three Milk Cake mmmm!) on my birthday. I guess they knew from when we booked our reservation we had to put our birthdays. We did the Bavaro Splash and it was amazing.
All in all it was so incredibly relaxing we could not ask for anything more. It was beautiful and clean and really a great getaway. It was also very romantic and providing us with a way to just spend time together and enjoy each others company. The pool is so nice and we never had a hard time finding a place in the shade by the pool in the morning. We always took the same place and it was quiet. We want to go back so bad, and miss being there.

Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

This resort provided the luxuriously relaxing experiencing i was looking for. My husband and i went with friends and none of us had been to this location before although our friends stayed at the excellence resort in Mexico. The restaurants we awesome and the food and service were great! We visited all 6 restaurants and had no complaints of any of them. My recommendation for spice (asian) is the tendon! Sounds crazy but it's great! I recommend the steak at Isabelle (french) The shrimp burritos at Agave (mexican) and the lasagna at Oregano (italian). We stayed in a regular pool view room and it was still peaceful. The hotel was only 60% full upon our arrival(Aug. 7th, 2009) which made for a quiet resort which we liked. By that Sunday or Monday a wedding party arrived that was quite excited to be there. The spa was amazing and i suggest that anyone going to this resort budget for any spa services they can. Overall i give it 4 out of 5 stars!!! Just a note the waters on the beach are from the atlantic ocean and not the caribbean sea so they were a bit rougher than i expected. That being said i don't like salt water anyway and hadn't planned on doing much swimming on the beach just admiring of the view:)

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Let me explain, this experience here - 8 days of it - has been unlike any other.
First, this is adults only. AMAZING. no kids, you relax and have a great time. This place is TRUE romance. Every night they put rose petals in your room if you're on your honeymoon, wedding, anniversary etc, I could not have asked for more. They do what you do not ask them to do, all that you don't have to ask for and more.

ARRIVAL:
ride is about an hour from airport, but it didn't feel like it at all. you get to see culture other than your own and that is a beautiful thing.
on arrival you are greeted with smiles, bags from your hands are taken to your room and you are handed glasses of champagne.

THE RESORT:
the grounds are incredible. they clean everything ALL the time. I Am talking even the pool gutters are scrubbed one by one. every piece of this huge hotel is cleaned DAILY, mopped daily, scrubbed and is in amazing shape and so beautiful. the pool is scrubbed and cleaned daily in the morning. your rooms are cleaned twice per day with turn down service to come back at night to.
all we could say is wow. we are very well traveled, but this has been THE best experience and we will go back every year for sure.

BEACH:
I am sure by photos you can imagine, it really does look that way. Actually on their website..that is exactly what it looks like. All we could do is say wow, and sit there and take in the beauty. there are no neighbor hotels and beach stretches as far as you could see. beautiful white SOFT sand. your feet sink in to this sand while the crystal clear water surrounds and bathes your feet.
water is WARM. ....again wow wow wow.
it's NOT crowded at all, beach is huge and most of the time you can feel alone if you want. at night there are hardly any people there because it is so spread out. during the day there are so many seats, beds and etc that you can be in a group if you want or by yourself with no one around at the end of the beach. you can also walk down the isle where NO one will be at all.
waiters come to you with drinks ALL day long. whatever you want.

FOOD
amazing. 8 restaurants - great menus, you can get whatever you want.
the GRILL filet mingon steak was one of the best steaks I've ever had and rivals many 5 star steak houses in the US. not like other resorts in mexico and jamaica that serve small or thin cuts and do not cook properly. this steak will be perfectly cooked every time.
the italian restaurant and mediterranean were exceptional.
french chateaubriand to die for
fusion restaurant offers wife variety anywhere from sushi to your regular broccoli and beef to fish in oyster sauce and pad tai. VERY good.
the pizza is great.
for those who say they need more variety... i am wondering WHAT else could you POSSIBLY want.. there is EVERYTHING, and i mean literally everything here to eat..
for breakfast there is huge buffet, and it really is ANYTHING you want. I will miss the smoothies with your choice of about 20 fruits.
lunch ..wow

wow.

DRINKS
every drink you could ask for was made to taste perfect as they should. they use as much alcohol as you want and if you want more - hey it's all inclusive you can have it and they are not shy about it

SPA
i had my nails and my hair done for the wedding
BRIDES: YOUR HAIR WILL LOOK PERFECT. I brought a photo of what i wanted...and i think she got every curl exactly like the photo had it. Not even kidding. i was amazed and VERY happy.
nails looked great!

ROOM. we had a club room and every night we had rose petals, towel animals. etc - ROOM SERVICE ANY TIME OF DAY and however much you want. breakfast in bed is great also use it!
huge bed, flat screen tv. ocean view is AWESOME.
beds are nice and pillows are soft
shower is clear for romance ;)
they had bvlgari everything

REHEARSAL DINNER
i was breathtaken by what they did for this...
we came in to the restaurant ..everything was set up with rosepetals candles, personalized menus printed with design, notes, the table looked like it was out of a movie.
they served us all whatever we wanted to drink and bottles of champagne.
beautiful.
we had 14 people there for the wedding

WEDDING DAY:
can i say wow?
i will post photos, but this was out of a fairy tale and EVERYTHING I have ever dreamed of.
the flowers, the decorations, the beautiful beach, WOW
we ordered the video and it was great
my husband is a photographer with photographer friends so we had 13,000 pictures from our wedding thanks to everyone with professional cameras. My husband also took all the pictures of JUST me and my bridals - he is amazing and the photos look breathtaking.
his friends took photos of the ceremony.
and WOW.
everything was perfect.

RECEPTION
they set up a dinner just like rehearsal dinner with music and decorations, everything perfect again.

THE ROMANCE HERE IS NON STOP. they treat you like kings, and my new husband and I were in paradise.
TRULY.

AMAZING and NUMBER 1 FOR SURE.

Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

So, let's say that of all my leisure trips, this was the best ever. So good that i almost gryied when we had to leave.

Where to start? Amazing view, excellent service and food, very nice rooms (although was very impressive, we did not use it much :D), the best entertainment team, fabulous fun and overall the DREAM Honeymoon.

We had everything, from fun to drinks and food at an excellent level. The people are always smiling and make you fell excellent, they are willing to do anything it takes to make you fell comfortable.

Is the best place for the couples that like to spend quality time together without the annoyance of children.

And basically you can do whatever makles you fell good: if you like reading and quite places, you have, if you like fun and animated parties, you have, if you like privacy with the partner, you got it. If you just want relaxations and nothing more, you got it.

I can tell that i like best the following:
1. Entertainment Team: Cesar, Julio, Sander, Johanna, and of course my very good friend Luciano (if you read this, your biggest dream happens to me :P).
2. Bartenders. (Specially Benjamin which is responsible for getting me, my spouse and my friends very drunk very fast. So take care if you don't want to get wild, don't drink to much specially from him. I did and i'm searching myself on youtube :). Anyway best bartender ever)
3. People on the restaurants. Amazing service and extremely friendly attitude.
4. Concierge. Very good for solving problems.
5. Spa personnel. I liked the massages on the beach. Amazing experience. Is not cheap but is worth it.

So i would like to come back anytime here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!