“Pure paradise!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
philadelphia, pa
“Pure paradise!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Serets Excellence 2/17-2/21. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

The beach is very rough, but take a walk down a little arount the bend and it is very warm and calm. Take a light jacket/sweater for the evenings it does get a little cool.

The food was fantastic, something for everyone. The staff is friendly and gracious. They speak very good enlish too.

My husband and I are in are early thirties, and we were looking for a place to relax and do nothing, and we found it here. We liked that this was not a busy, loud, party resort. The crowd seemed to be somewhat older, and it was so nice.

I can't say enough about this resort. It is absoutly beautiful, can't wait to go back.

I have many pics, anyone interested email me @ krism125@msn.com

• Stayed February 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,032)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2005

My wife and I returned from Secrets last night (March 6, 2005) and, having read some expretty extremist reviews on this site, want to write what we think is a fair summary of the resort. The short answer is that Secrets Punta Cana is not a 5 star resort as advertised (nor is it a one star as some reviewers write). Secrets is a great place to stay, as long as you understand that it is a 3 or 4 star resort that is very nice for what it is.

Some honest facts:

1. Ride from Punta Cana airport -- the fact is that the ride really is one hour from the airport (at least by private small van -- by tour bus it probably is longer). While to be fair, the road is bumpy, is not unreasonably so and should not be a deterrent to anyone.

2. Bugs -- I count 6 on my body right now, though we did not use any bug spray. In the other Carribean islands (of which we've been to 4), bugs have never been an issue. In the DR, they are a minor annoyance and should not be a deterrence to you going there. However, they are an issue and you will get bitten. For us, it meant that we dined inside instead of the 2 outdoor restaurants and didn't drink at the outdoor bars at night, when the bugs are at their worst.

3. Secrets Excellence Club -- total waste of money. If you understand that you are really just paying for internet access, then it is worth the extra expense. The special pillows were nonexistent, the food in the club was terrible -- and the write up I read on this site was accurate -- the food, including fruit, was left out, unrefrigerated, for hours and was the same mediocre food from the restaurants (which if you were to eat in the restaurants, would at least be served fresh). No one used the club for anything other than internet access and the rooms are the same, so don't waste the money on this "luxury"

4. Food -- the food ranged (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best) from a 3 to a 7. We had one meal that was a 7 and most of the time the food was in the 3 to 5 range. Sure its all you can eat, but it really wasn't that good. The desserts were, however, plentiful and pretty good.

5. The rooms were spacious and nice -- and while there were those very small ants that you find in humid environments in the room on occasion, the rooms were generally clean and spacious. The beds are, as reported, very hard. I woke up with back pain every morning, though it went away after a half hour or so. While the hotel's official position is that you shouldn't drink the water, or even brush you teeth with it, that's because its salty and not because you will get sick. Neither my wife no I got sick, though we only used the ample bottled water that was provided free of charge.

6. The pool is beautiful and the grounds are extremely nice. Drinks are plentiful, though not usually very cold as would be expected in a warm resort, and there were no pina coladas. Okay, we're suckers for that particular carribean drink, and they didn't have it, so we didn't like that too much.

7. Ocean -- the beach is beautiful though you are on the Atlantic side of the island. This means waves like you find on the east coast of the US, though they are much stronger in the DR (and not the calming, crystal clear virtually still water you find on other Carribean islands). The red flag (meaning non swimming) has been up 100% of the time for at least 6 months (we've been told) and if your goal is to swim in the ocean and to snorkel, you definitely should not go to Secrets. If you simply wade in the ocean, it is not a problem. My wife and I actually like it because the waves are peaceful and we enjoy hearing them on the beach.

8. Staff -- generally very friendly, though only the front desk staff and the club excellence staff are CONVERSANT in English (and none were fluent in english). Yes, that's right, NONE were fluent in Englsh, which was surprising and somewhat annoying since we did attend a resort community that supposedly caters to tourists. This is more of a hassle than anything else, and while we were open minded to the fact that we were in another country, when you go to the DR, you're not going somewhere like Europe or Asia where you might go for the cultural experience (at least we weren't) -- you go to the DR to relax on the beach/pool and want an easy, relaxing trip. Struggling often to communicate with staff was not our idea of relaxation. Honestly, about 90% of the staff cannot say more than "helllo" in English, including the wait staff!!!

I hope I wasn't too negative on the resort. Though my wife liked it more than I did, I did the planning and had certain quality expectations that were not met. Because she did not have such expectations, she was not disappointed. We both agree the Secrets should be a 3 or 4 star resort, 3 for the food/staff/other issues and 4 for the beauty of the grounds/beach. If this is what you are looking for and expect, we definitely recommend it, though don't waste your money on the excelllence club. As stated earlier, its only use was for the free and convenient internet access.

Enjoy Secrets if you go. I hope our first web blog is helpful in your trip planning.

DJ
NY, NY

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Secrets from February 28th through March 4th. I booked this vacation through Secrets 1 800 line and had absolutely no problem with setting up the reservation. We flew USA 3000 and even though its a charter flight we found that the plane, crew and ultimately the flight down and back were wonderful.

I had reserved a junior suite with a garden view. My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on January 28th, but couldn't make the trip till the end of February. I had booked the trip at the end of December/ beginning of January and had made two emails and two phone calls to the hotel directly to ask about concerns or requests that I had. I wanted a 3rd floor suite for the cathedral ceilings, privacy and ocean breeze. I also asked for a king size bed. I explained about the anniversary being delayed and they noted it on our reservation.

When we arrived in Punta Cana we found the Amstar/ Apple rep that would provide transportation to the hotel. The ride was a little bumpy and approx. an hour, but its certainly nothing to complain about. Your on vacation and someone else is driving - ease up!

The bus passed several hotels and when it pulled into the Secrets complex you certainly felt that you were in the best hotel in the country. It was absolutely beautiful. Well kept gardens and pathways were picturesque to say the least. The variety of birds, domestic and wild alike were situated beautifully along a small pond in the front of the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at 12pm. and certainly knew that there was a chance our room wasn't ready as check in wasn't until 3pm. Oscar at the concierge was very helpful with the rudimentary check in procedures and then gave us the good news that our room was ready and we could go directly to it. He explained that the bell boy would be bringing up our bags shortly. We were given a site map and showed how to get to our room, #3205. WEll the hotel had come through again giving us a third floor junior suite with an Ocean view. I was totally taken back as everything I had asked for was coming to fruition. The king size bed complete with rose petals covering towels in the shape of a snow man. It was wonderful to see that they cared as much as they did. The front desk actually called later that evening to make sure that everything was to my liking. This happened with room service as well. The morning after a late night snack (2or3 am.) the head of room service called to make sure the food was to our approval. Can you imagine how taken back we were that everyone on the staff really cared how our vacation was going. To Note - The hotel room was complete with an ironing board, new iron, Blow dryer, Coffee Maker, two (2) phones and a digital safe.

The first day we explored the extensive grounds. The ocean side of the hotel flows between the free form pool that never ends and the palapas along the beach. The pathways are clearly marked with what lies ahead, whether it be a restaurant, club house, or bar palapa. I'm more into the beach and spent considerable time sun bathing and swimming in the beautiful water. Many of the vacationers from Europe came down to watch as my wife and I rode wave after perfect wave into the beach. (We were using boogie boards the hotel supplied.) Most complained about the surf being rough, but that seemed hilarious to me. I have vacationed along the East Coast all my life and know what dangerous surf is. The waves and slight undertow couldn't compare to Ocean city, NJ. or Ocean City, Md. on one of their calmest days. WE did go snorkeling but remembered what others on this site said about walking down the beach to the right. It is much calmer there and there are plenty of fish to see. Take bread from the buffet and bananas. The fish love them and will seek you out. Alot of endless fun to be had.

The food that we had each and every day was wonderful. I still cannot understand how those that complain about the food here can honestly look themselves in the mirror. This hotel is self providing in every way. They put on wonderful displays of culinary art each day and back it up with the gourmet tastes that leave you smiling after each bite. Yes if you get to breakfast after 10:30 some of the food will be cold. Remember breakfast starts at 7am and lasts until 11 am. In the event you get there late have them fix you a freshly made omellette at any of the three omellette grills. They will also fix fresh pancakes and french toast if you ask. These cooks are always working to please. They'll ask how your vacation is going and what they can do to help. We went to the restaurant Quisqueseya ? on the first night and were blown away with the chateau Briand and the Mahi Mahi. It is probably our favorite of all seven. Go figure seven restaurants and some still complain.

I have to note we did the Star Light dinner. It seemed that it is a very special occassion and one that doesn't happen all the time. It costs $160, but it was the best money I've ever spent while on vacation- ever! WE were led down to a torch surrounded table approximately 35 yds from the crashing surf. Truly a romantic evening was ahead. There were two cloth covered chairs and an entire silverware setting for each of us. We were given our own single waiter to handle all the courses and wine servings. Murray was a wonderful fellow who made it his goal to keep up wanting for absolutely nothing. WE were given full service from specially made salads, to soups, through our lobster / filet mignon main courses. You are given two bottles of wine and a bottle of Champagne. It was a magnificent time we had that also included a trio of musicians that came down the beach and serenaded us with several songs. They were honestly very talented. The night lasted approximately 5 hours. Not once did our waiter or a hotel empoyee ask us to speed things up. It was a wonderful night we will never forget.

We had fun at the casino and got the chance to try our hands at Black Jack. WE were told to stay away from Dominican Keno, Roulette and progressive slots which we did. We broke even after a couple hours and really enjoyed our time there.

The shows were funny and got you into the act if you wanted. Trust me nobody will be seeing these revues on Broadway, but it was enjoyable. We won a bottle of Rum and a T- shirt on our last night there. It was a great time.

My wife likes to ride horses and I promised that I would see if we could run the horses on a seperate excursion. We did the Gallop ride which is not included with the hotel stay, but is also worth the extra $30. each to have a private ride through the jungle and along the ocean. Franklin was our guide for the morning run and was very helpful but did give us our space to talk and run the horses. Let me tell you that you will see horses on the way to the hotel - The horses at the ranch are much healthier and active. You can tell they are well taken care of and given special attention. The gallop ride was excellent as you can run the horses throught the jungle and then back along the beach. Several times the horses were running in the shallows of the ocean (6-8" deep) and it was like something out of a movie. This tour was only supposed to be a 45 minute tour but Franklin and the owner had told us we could have an extra 15 minutes for free, what a bonus!

We also did the included horse tour, but it was slow and crowded. Spend the extra dough and get yourself something to truly remember.

I booked a snorkeling jet boat tour through Scuba Caribe and wasn't really satisfied with our transportation to and from the location. Once there we had a great time. That would probably be my only constructive criticism, book through the apple rep, not through the Scuba Caribe. The Scuba Caribe hut was however helpful in the watersports at the hotel site itself.

I have been to Jamaica, Cancun, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and several of the nicest hotels within US borders. This hotel and its many employees have to rank as the top combination my wife and I have ever had the pleasure to stay with. With out a doubt you will have an excellent time.

• Stayed March 2005
Powell, OH, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

Here's a reposting of my forum comments about our recent stay at Secrets Excellence near Punta Cana. I've addressed a lot of the questions I've read before and after my visit to Secrets. I want to add that I agree with another reviewer that these reviews are subjective and based on a lot of the reviewer's previous travel experiences as a point of comparison.

BEACH: beautiful. The sand wasn't white and sugary as it is further south on the Caribbean part of PC, but we found the beach surprisingly better than described by some on the board. It was wider than I expected and the chairs were plentiful. There are shady areas if desired. Drink service on the beach was so-so, but our group was never too far from the nearby bar. It wasn't a problem for us to walk a few feet for a drink. If you enjoy sitting on the beach reading, sleeping, etc., this is a great one for that.

OCEAN: ROUGH. I'd read here that the red flags were always up during people's stays at Secrets--same during this past week. I didn't swim in the ocean but those with us who did said it was very, very rough. It's a swimsuit-losing, sunglasses-grabbing kind of surf. If you can't swim, don't go in. It is clearer than I expected, however. Since it's the Atlantic, I expected it to look like, well, the Atlantic, at least the one I know--VA Beach, Corolla, Hilton Head, Miami. It actually had some turquoise in it!

WINDY CONDITIONS: Daily. It felt very good, though, and it wasn't hard to get used to, especially by the pool. When the sun's out in between the occasional clouds, one appreciates the gusty breezes. Someone told us that the sand flies come out when there's no wind, so be glad for the wind. Don't know if that's true, but I didn't see a sand fly, either! Definitely bring a light jacket, sweater, wrap, etc. for the evening. Many in our group found the evenings cooler than expected and some were unprepared, clothing-wise.

JACUZZI: big enough for two. My husband and I are taller than 5'9 (each!). We didn't get rose petals, though :( Perhaps that's for newlyweds and people celebrating anniversaries.

HORSEBACK RIDING: sign up with your tour company, but don't wait until the last minute. We had to book two days ahead. It fills up fast, probably because it's free.

TOPLESS: On the beach and at the pool, all ages, all sizes, but certainly not everyone. The majority of the women at the pool weren't topless, and I didn't notice a lot at the beach when I was there. If it's your first time being exposed to the exposed, you'll definitely notice it. We practically expected it after several trips to the Caribbean.

CHECK-IN/-OUT: both were very quick; my only complaint (and not the hotel's fault) is that we were there before check-in and had to wait for our room to be ready. Pack your swimsuit and pool stuff in your carryon and be prepared to change into it if you get there early. You'll get your towel cards at check-in. Grab your towels, some drinks, and lounge by the pool or the on the beach while you wait for your room. I didn't pack the suit in the carryon--lesson learned!

RESTAURANTS: We were a large group of 22 (singles and couples) and we tended to break off into smaller groups and share restaurant reviews with each other, although most of us tried all the restaurants. A large group (maybe 7-9 people) went to the Japanese restaurant and had poor service although they said the food was good. I made it to all the restaurants except the Japanese, and my favorite was the international restaurant next to the long bar. I'm sorry I cannot recall the exact name as I type this, but it starts with a Q. We were told to wait 45 minutes (no reservations at any restaurant, no matter how large a group); we were given a pager and waited 20 minutes before we got paged. It was a lovely restaurant and the food was great. The restaurants aren't going to make anyone's Top 10 Best Restaurant list or is of the quality one might find at a Four Seasons hotel restaurant, but I thought it was good overall. My personal opinion is that service and quality as far as food goes in an AI resort is sometimes hit or miss.

ROOM: Our room was a first-floor junior suite located in the 6000 building. It was roomy and comfortable for the most part, except that I found the mattress to be too hard and the pillows too small and flat, but I'm very selective about these things. My husband found them to be fine. The toiletries, including sunscreen, were generous sizes and were restocked daily. I really appreciated this because I didn't have the hassle of requesting additional shower gel, etc. There was always more than enough. The bar included purified water, sparkling water, orange and apricot juices, water, domestic (Presidente) beer, diet and regular sodas (Coke products). Some people said they had snacks, too, but we didn't. There were no bugs of any kind in the room, although I always put a towel at the bottom of my hotel doors when staying in the Caribbean--just a weird thing I do as it gives me peace of mind that it'll keep the crawlers out!

TOURS: We took the Outback Safari which was absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend it for those interested in seeing a lot of the true Dominican countryside and spirit. I took the Isla Saona tour a couple of years ago; it's a long bus ride there and back, but the sailing/swimming experience was worth it to me.

For the record, Secrets is the fifth all-inclusive resort experience for me--I've stayed at Marival in Puerta Aventuras, Mexico (not called that anymore?), Royal Solaris in Cancun, Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen, and the Iberostar in Punta Cana prior to my stay at Secrets last week. I hope you find my review helpful in your decision.

• Stayed February 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2005

We traveled to Punta Cana early January, The ride from the aiport to the Hotel was about 80 minutes. But are drivers talked very little English but knew when we wanted to stop for beers roads are not well paved and pot holes but the driver seemed to know how to avoid them. The hotel was well manicured and maintained. The resort is on the tip of the island and the ocean water is rough but we were not disappointed with the pools they are the best we have ever seen.(we have traveled to the DR before and stayed at the Bavaro Palace) The food was fabulous. we ate at all the restaurants the best was the Mexican. Employees are great and very helpful, but they just kept laughing at us New Yorkers.....The rooms were beautiful we had a swim out room and upgraded when we got there (cheaper then what we were quoted prior to the trip) Sign up early for horseback riding as it fills up quick. The hot tubs could have been alittler hotter, but they brought us champagne evrey time we were in it!!! Rained every day for a few minutes at a time!!! If you really want to relax this is the place to be!!! Drinks are the best at the hotel bar very strong..Also if you want to try it try the "momma jawana" its the Domenican Viagra (it made us feel ontop of the world) very potent stuff!!! We suggested to our friends and they are leaving Sat 3/5. The other people were from all over made for a nice varity of people. No rowdiness with having kids and teenagers. very couple orientated. We will be back next year!!!!

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2005

Stayed at Secrets 08/02/05 for 2 weeks. Have tried other all inc resorts and been highly satisfied, but this was the best yet. My wife and I enjoyed all the restaurants except the Italian , but that is because you can only get Pasta there and we are used to having meat or fish at Italian at home. Rooms, grounds, pools beach and hotel was brilliant. Staff couldnt do enough for us. Tried the helicopter ride which was fantastic and they even have their own helipad at the hotel. We did nothing all day but laze round the pool, drinking and having the occassional walk . Neither of us were sick or had any ill effects and we did not have any bites etc. Service at the bars was Ok esp Margarita at the beach bar who always greeted us with a smile
Benjamin also did a great job at the beach bar. Overall we loved every minute and would definatly go back there. This was one holiday we did not want to end. I f you want to chill out in nice surroundings, have good food , drink and service, meet nice people and have a good time this is the place
We met some great people and everyone was really friendly. Just a mention to some folk who were staying there at the same time, a please and thankyou does not cost anything, these people are doing their best to look after you, just because you tip them doesnt mean you can talk to them like dirt.
We thought it was the best yet

Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2005

We just got home from the trip. We are in are 30's and wanted a vacation alone, without kids and relax but also have fun!! We found it. We spent 6 days. We did not know much about the hotel only from their website and a brochure. They do not give the hotel justice. It was wonderful! We stayed in a Junior Suite and it felt like the best room in the resort. It was beautiful and had everything you wanted. I loved the little surprises left on the bed by the maid sevice!

The resort entertainment was a great mix. On one day it was a live band at the beach, later by the pool and at night during/after dinner. The following day might be just a band at the pool around 4:00 and a little slower. Just perfect for a vacation!

The food was good. Not the best I have ever had but you are in a different country..taste different! The Japanesse resturant was wonderful, the two resturants near the ocean was good. The bar by the pool during the day had great food and I am still craving! Also, the buffet for lunch out near the ocean was great!

Dress: we stayed in suits all day and casual dress in evening. You see a little of everything!

You have to try the spa. We had dual masages the first full day and it was a great way to kick off the vacation. We also tried the water-spa on the last day. We had the best time and it was a fun way to end the trip.

The best part about the hotel and what makes this vacation was the staff. They work so hard and are so friendly! They are the heart of the resort and what will make the lasting impression! Bring dollars for tip money..they derserve every penny.

We have been to many places..Grand Waliea in Maui, Ritz Carolton, The Breakers....Secrets belongs with these top of the line hotels!

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!