Went to Secrets July 5 - July 9 and here's my take on it. We've been to Couples Negril twice and loved it there and were concerned that we wouldn't enjoy Secrets as much. We definitely did and would love to return again.
The beach at Secrets is Awesome and not just because you feel as though your resort is the only resort in the world when you are there. I'd recommend going to Secrets just to feel the breeze comming off the Atlantic in the evening along with hearing the sound of the waves. Talk about an aphrodesiac (sp). I chased my wife around pretty much the whole time we were there; and we've been married for over 10 years!!
The food is different. We are not picky eaters at all and are willing to try anything. For instance, at the Mexican restaurant, there is a Dominican menu that changes every couple of days. We went and had an enjoyable evening dining on Goat Fricase... This is something we have never had in the States and probably will never have again but it was definitely worth eating just so I could tell the fellas at work "Man, you haven't lived until you've had Goat Fricase!!!" Worst case scenario, eat the spaghetti if you don't like anything else. Oh, by the way, you can eat at the snazzy restaurant as often as you like. Couples Negril definitly had better food and great food is definitely important when we are on vacation however, we would still return to Secrets even though there is better food at other all inclusive resorts.
Little known secret about Secrets... there are hot and cold pools in the Spa that you do not pay extra for that seemed to have almost no one but us using when we were there. I'll admit, that was kind a nice (see end of 2nd paragraph in this review ;-).
Plus, immersing your entire body in 34 degree water then jumping in a hot tub... what a rush!!!
We really loved the room although we were not in it very much.
I'm not much of a crowd person and resort entertainment is usually not my cup of tea however, the evening shows are usually pretty good.
It does help to know some Spanish as my wife knows it pretty well, we never ran into a language barrier. However, if all you know is English, you should still have a great time as long as you realize that Spanish is their primary language and YOU are the outsider, not them.
By the way, if you've been reading the lousy reviews of this resort, pay close attention to how petty the complaints are... "boo hoo hoo, the maid didn't turn down my blankey, now how can I go to sleep?!?"
GO and have fun!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Excellence Group LLC, Hotels.com, Expedia, Amex, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence