“Welcome Home my friend....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Welcome Home my friend....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Let me start by saying that my husband and I did a lot of research for our vacation and I read may reviews before we left, some of which scared me as they were not positive. So let me set the record straight. This resort is AMAZING!!!
I will start at the beginning with the airport, yikes! Very crazed at that airport and I was so happy to find our driver and get out of there. The drive to the resort is about 40 minutes and is smooth.
Once you get to the resort you are welcomed home with a cool wash cloth and a glass of cold champagne. Upon checking in we were offered the option of upgrading to the Excellence Club and we took it and were satisfied with that decision. Because we upgraded our new room was not ready yet for us, so the gentleman Mathias brought us to the Grill for a late lunch and drinks, once we were finished we went back to the front desk and were brought directly to our room.
The room was perfect, 2nd floor above the swim up bar, nice balcony with 2 chairs and a small table and an incredible view of the ocean! My one complaint was the bathroom, there is a window fro the toilet thru the shower to the bedroom. I am a private person in this, so that was difficult for me. My solution was to put a towel over the shower door which acted as a barrier thru that window, quick fix. Other then that the room was awesome, clean, full, premium bar, well stocked mini fridge, snacks, espresso machine and huge tub. I saw a lot of complaints on the bed, yes, it was quite firm, however, both my husband and I found it most comfortable, so much in fact that I think our next mattress will have to be firmer. Another point on the room was that you can ask for anything and they will bring it to you. We changed out a couple of bottles of liquor for our favorites and wanted a full container of milk for our morning coffee, service on this was very quick.
The beach was gorgeous and yes the water is quite rough, every day was a red flag (swim at your own risk) however, if you walk down the beach to your right past the lone beach shop, there is area surrounded by a big reef that was very calm and easy to swim in. Special thanks to Ines!
The pools were very nice, though I enjoyed the beach much more, the Cabanas on the beach are fantastic, when you can get one (mind you, though they say not hold cabanas, people are down there at 7 am with towels and books to hold a cabana before they go to breakfast. I asked about this and was told that this hold is only good for 2 hours and they will remove your belongings if you do not return in that time).
Restaurants were very good, I would not say 5 star, but at least 4 star in most cases. We went to all of the restaurants except Oregano, as that is pizza and pasta and neither my husband or I wanted that.
Flavor Market, this is their new restaurant and I really liked it (we went twice) it is literally a tapas bar, so don't expect fill dinner dishes, this is just a great chance to have small samples of several dishes for dinner and it was very good. Good service as well, thank you Sandy!
Agave, for a Mexican restaurant this was very good though the service outshined the food, it was all very good, the food was well done and very tasty, thank you to Brenda and Crazy Carlos! You two made everything awesome!
Barcelona, I feel a little mixed on this, we went twice and the first time the service was outstanding and the food was perfect, the second time, though the food was just as good, I felt that we were forgotten about for long periods of time.
Chez Isabelle, this little French restaurant was very good. I was expecting a little more of the French flare, more French wine, but the wine is the same across the resort.
The Grill, yum! I regret we did have dinner here, but we had lunch here several times and it was always great service and great food, Many thanks to the wonderful Elias.
The Lobster House, here service here was very good though let me warn you this is not like Maine lobster and I did not find it as tasty or sweet, but then again living in New England I have been spoiled.
Las Olas, we never stopped here to dine, however we walked thru several times to grab food to go while on the beach and it was good, though not as good as most of the other restaurants, I would think of this as fast food.
Spice, so this is where my review becomes negative (sorry) but I was unimpressed with this restaurant, I found there service very poor and the food sub-pare. They got our order wrong, I felt ignored, I ordered a lemon drop martini and was brought something red that tasted so bitter and nasty that it made me queasy. We once and I could not recommend this restaurant.
Toscana, they say on the website that this is an Italian restaurant, but I have to disagree, it is a huge buffet and we went every morning there for breakfast and it was fabulous, such variety, awesome made to order omelets, just everything and so many choices, very good. We even went a couple of times for lunch where they had things like fresh sushi to lamb to pasta to salad fixings, fresh cheese and local dishes.
On a final note, I would recommend this resort looking for an adults only, good food, great customer service and relaxation. I would also recommend upgrading to the Excellence Club, from the private beach, premium liquor, actual club, included spa treatments, it was worth it.

Room Tip: Upgrade is worth the little bit of extra money for a better room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,031)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

In a nutshell, this is Paradise! For the Aussie’s who are unaware of All Inclusive Resorts, its the mother of all holiday trips! Think free booze & free food, 24 hours a day while sitting poolside, beach side or in bed in a 5-star resort. These packages include your return airfare, transfers to and from the airport and all food and beverages. So at the end of the week, you walk out the front door without spending a dollar.

For the full review on this resort, please visit:

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I were at the Excellence in Punta Cana for a wedding and everything from the customer service to dining in one of the nine restaruants was EXCELLENT. The staff went out of their way to ensure that our every need was met. We have traveled extensively, and we clearly rate our stay at Excellence Punta Cana at the top of the list!!

Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Check-in was easy and room was ready on arrival. Grounds were large and lush with lots of nice tropical plants and animals which was a nice touch. Rooms were a nice size, we were on the ground floor with a patio and hammock. Hector Louis at the sports bar took great care of us even after he was moved to another location. Activity staff was nice and we appreciated the daily beach volleyball games. The water was very rough during our stay so be careful if you do venture out. They were in the process of doing some renovations to the grounds, which was definitely needed as parts of the resort are starting to show its age. Overall we had a great stay and will consider another excellence resort on a future stay. Any questions don't hesitate to send me a message!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our first time at an all-inclusive and in many ways it exceeded our expectations.

Good:
The food was good (not great, but good).
Drinks were plentiful
Service was EXCELLENT
The beach was clean
The resort grounds are beautiful

The Bad:
The beds were hard as rocks and the mattress pad only helped a little bit.
The room decor could stand to be updated.

The beds were our only major complaint. The staff were awesome and while there could be improvements to the food we did not starve. The biggest issue we had with the food was that it was a little on the bland side and just needed more seasoning.

We were on our honeymoon and they offered us a complimentary honeymoon package (sign on the door, romantic dinner in a restaurant) that was a nice added touch. They also included a 30 minute horse back ride on the beach, but that is included in everyone's stay so I think that is a little misleading.

The resort was nice and quiet while we were there, we were able to relax by the pool without a bunch of yelling and horseplay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Delmar, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We spent a week at the Excellence Punta Cana and couldn't have been more pleased with the resort. The staff were all wonderful, going out of their way to make sure that any request was met promptly, always smiling, friendly and cheerful. Jhon at poolside was so attentive and made sure to always have our favorite drinks quickly brought to us. The rooms were large and well maintained. The in-room mini bar was always stocked with beverages and they were so accomodating to my special request of drinks. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is enormous, the beach is beautiful with white sand no seaweed or garbage around. The various restaurants gave one so many options to chose on a daily basis and the food was good. We really liked the outdoor beach bbq and poolside dinner they had during our stay. We took a spanish lesson poolside one morning and enjoyed our instructor. I loved that there were no vendors that attack you to buy things when you are on the beach as there are in many other resorts.

The only criticism that I have is I didn't care for the glass walled toilet/shower area as I prefer more privacy. That is a very minor inconvenience of the resort and other than that, everything was spectacular. It does cost quite a bit to get from the airport to the hotel ($70.00) but it is worth every penny. I have stayed at several all inclusive resorts and this is by far the nicest.

We spent some time at the small casino and were pleasantly surprised that we hit quite a few jackpots on the slot machines. Very unusual for such a small casino.

I realize that there are some people who just can't be happy and have complaints about where ever they are, but believe me when I say that there is nothing to complain about at this resort. Well done Excellence! It definitely lives up to their name!

Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our first experience at an all-inclusive. Some friends of ours went and sold us on it. When you arrive at the resort, they start the pampering. You are met with a smile, a moist towel, and a sparkling glass of champagne! Not your typical check in either. You don't go to the front desk to check in. We had what we call our own personal concierge! His name is Mr. ROBERTO PUELLO. He made our visit wonderful. He made us feel like we were the president. Never in our life have we received this type of service. They have 8 restaurants serving everything you heart desires. We visited the spa and did the couples massage. The staff was wonderful and very professional. We left feeling like a million dollars. They also offer live entertainment every night. Very talented cast, high energy. They select some guests to become part of the show. The swim up bar was unbelievable. Whatever you want, they got it. We also rode horses on the beach. Our guides were wonderful, you would enjoy, regardless of your riding experience. They offer cabanas all over the beach, with servers that keep your drink and food orders coming. The beach is clean, water is clear. It was our anniversary, so we received their anniversary package. We normally don't go to the same place twice, there are so many places we haven't visited...but, my wife said we would definitely go back to The Excellence. My only regret is I can only give them a 5 star rating....they deserve a 10! OK, go ahead and book your visit and enjoy the trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!