“Excellence at Excellence Punta Cana” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
San Antonio, Texas
“Excellence at Excellence Punta Cana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We loved this resort! Very quaint and beautiful while maintaining some rustic, cultural charm. Staff was great and made us feel at home. Sara was a wonderful masseuses, Solomon our waiter at the Grill made our Anniversary dinner extra special, Luz kept us laughing every time we saw her and Chely just took good care of us throughout our stay. This is such a romantic place and I would highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Request a swim up suite with ocean view. Room 15018 was a nice, spacious room with hot tub on the ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,021)
  • Korean first
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our first trip to DR,and to stay at EPC was the most relaxing 5 day stay we had anywhere ! Having an adults only resort was a big plus too! The pool was great, the service was superb,the food was OK and could be served a little hotter, the beach was beautiful with a nice breeze! Although our room (junior suite - garden view- bldg.#7) was clean and well stocked, at night it was a little too noisy in the hallway !! Next visit we will book the pool side room! we would recommend this resort and will be returning in the future !

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

this was our 3rd stay at EPC.. we absolutely love it here!!! we renewed our wedding vows also while we were there and i was treated like a proper princess.. the staff cannot do enough to help!!! many of the staff we now class as our friends some of which are Altagracia, Ricky, Omar, Emily, Natalie and not forgetting the ever loveable Jose!!! the hotel in itself is absolutely stunning but the staff are truly what keep taking us back to this amAzing hotel.. Not forgetting also a coupEl of others whom im not sure are employed by the hotel but work the grounds, Pierre & Herbie!!! all such amazing lovely people.. was a little dissapointed that our travel company.. Blue Ray Travel did not inform us of the restaurant closures and the building work going on at the main pool though Emily soon sorted us out by moving us to a nicer part away from the building works.. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE WANTING TOTAL RELAXATION AND LUXURY!!!!!

Room Tip: swim up room cascade pool
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence 11/11-11/18 for our honeymoon, and it was a great trip! I was a little nervous before we left for the resort because I was not sure what to expect based on some of the negative reviews that I had read on TripAdvisor. Honestly, after a week spent at Excellence I've come to the conclusion that some people are just going to complain no matter what.

We were surprised how updated the airport was when we arrived from the states, and the ride from the airport to the resort was not that bad. I read so many reviews about how horrible the ride was and it was totally fine. We used AMSTAR for our shuttle and we only had one other couple that had to be dropped off at a resort before ours, which was totally fine. We got to the resort in about 50 minutes and they gave us bottled water for the drive which I thought was really nice of them.

When we got to the resort we were given champagne and checked into our room almost immediately, we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to Excellence club and we declined. I dont think we missed out at all by not upgrading and I was really happy with our decision, save your money or an excursion or the spa!

Our weather the whole week was fantastic 85 and sunny all 7 days. We spent half of our day at the pool and the other half at the beach. The staff plan games everyday which are a lot of fun and you can win prizes and was a great way for us to meet other guests who we had so much fun with. The staff members who we had the best time with were Kassandra, Marlon, Ismael, and Luz. Marlon remembered me and my husband's names immediately and we were on a first name basis all week, which really impressed us.

Our favorite restaurants were Spice (we went two nights), Agave, and Chez Isabel. You cant go wrong with any of them! The buffet breakfast was awesome because they had so much selection to choose from and you could even take to-go boxes to the pool or beach, which helped to lengthen our days.

All of the drinks were awesome, I lived off of Coca Loco's, they are awesome. BUT watch out for Mama Juana shots....they are dangerous!

The resort was well maintained, the staff is AMAZING, and you're in a tropical all-inclusive resort so I'm not quite sure what we could have complained about. Go to the Excellence, you will not be disappointed!

Chelmsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Lovely hotel in Dom Rep. First time in Caribbean. Beach was lovely sea is rough though. Which is a shame, food is out of this world brilliant choice and the main buffet was amazing too. Would recommend this booked though Thomas cook. Great deals and prices. Rooms are nice and big and clean

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I spent seven nights at Excellence Punta Cana from November 16-November 23 to celebrate our first anniversary. The resort is beautiful! The grounds are perfectly manicured and maintenance workers tend to the grounds daily. While we were there, several renovations were taking place to the restaurants, Barcelona and the Flavor Market. I was impressed at how much progress was made just during the week we were there.

As other reviewers have said, the employees really make this resort top-notch. They are all incredibly friendly, helpful and happy! We were greeted with two glasses of champagne and a cold towel. The ride to the hotel was not as bad as others have made it out to be. Construction is taking place to the highway and the ride to the hotel was interesting as we were able to see some of the towns. I would say the ride took about 45 minutes. (The ride back to the airport was a lot faster as the highway was not closed for construction. It took about 30 minutes.)

We decided to upgrade to the Excellence Club during check in. We enjoyed having access to the Excellence Club lounge and the beach area for club members was nice. Thanks to the upgrade we had a better ocean view in building 11. The room was nice and clean, but a bit dated. The in-room tub was a nice addition. As others have said, the bed was hard. My husband liked it, so we didn't get a pillow topper. Maid service was consistent and we always had plenty of clean towels.

The pools are beautiful and there were always plenty of lounge chairs and palm tree umbrellas. It truly is a place to relax. There was always a waiter walking around taking drink orders. The beach is also very beautiful. Palm trees line the beach making it a true tropical destination. As others have said, the water is very rough and not clear like other tropical resorts. Because of the water we will probably choose a different resort next time as we prefer calm, clear water. Despite this, we loved relaxing on the beach lounge chairs and beds. The crashing waves was very soothing and the perfect place to read a book or take an afternoon nap! Despite the ocean water, I highly recommend this resort.

Food was good. We enjoy fairly simple meals, and our favorite restaurants were The Grill and Spice. The New York Teriyaki at Spice was very good. The filet and mashed yucca at The Grill were excellent. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Toscana each morning and ate at the lunch buffet twice. I did not enjoy the lunch buffet as much as my husband. I preferred the pizzas at the beach-side Las Olas.

We are fairly active people, so by our fifth day we were having a hard time relaxing on the beach or by the pool! Thankfully, we took a snorkeling excursion to Catalina Island. We booked it at the resort's water sport hut. It was a great time! The bus ride to the boat took about two hours, however, it was really interesting as we drove through many small towns and the city of Higuey. I highly recommend this excursion. The boat ride to the island is entertaining. The snorkeling is wonderful. The water is so crystal clear and beautiful. We saw tons of coral reefs and fish. After about an hour of snorkeling in the water, the boat took us to Catalina Island where we swam/snorkeled more, lounged on the beach and enjoyed a lunch. I think the lunch on Catalina Island was my favorite meal of the whole trip.

We also used the gym on multiple mornings and it really does have all of the equipment you would possibly need.

We had a wonderful time at Excellence and would recommend it 100 percent to others. It's the perfect place for a quiet, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.

It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your 1st anniversary and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodations, and enjoyable food & drinks in our restaurants and bars.

At Excellence Punta Cana we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission.

We all look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We returned a few days ago from our 3rd stay at Excellence Punta Cana, and again had a wonderful time. A little background – this is the 9th year in a row that anywhere from 6 to 10 family members (now ranging in age from 54 to 61) have done a tropical all-inclusive trip to somewhere in the Caribbean or Mexico. We were here at EPC in 2007 and 2010 and stayed 8 days this time.
The drive via Amstar transport was just under an hour once we finally left the airport. Six years ago we were told the road was going to be done soon, and again in 2010, and although progress has been made, it seems like it’s only about 2/3 complete. The last few miles to the resort are pretty bumpy, but it’s worth it once you reach Excellence. Check in was easy and bags were in our room within 10 minutes.
We were in Bldg 6 (room 6210) in a garden view junior suite, which had been recently renovated and was very nice, especially as we were on the top floor you had the extra high ceilings with wooden beams. The room is very spacious, with King bed, 2 nightstands, small round table with 1 chair, a nice couch/chaise, and combination dresser/desk. There were only 3 drawers in the dresser but additional shelf space in the closet. Closet had plenty of space and included 2 plush robes for guest use, iron and ironing board, large umbrella for rain, and digital safe, which was plenty big for our electronics, wallets, etc. I’m attaching photos of our room so you can get a feel for a junior suite.
As many have mentioned, the bed was extremely hard and after the first night we requested and received a mattress topper (and a couple of extra pillows) that helped some. The mini bar had prime full bottles of Jim Beam, Beefeater gin, Stoli vodka, etc. and the mini fridge had bottled water and several choices for sodas. Snacks such as Oreos, crackers and peanuts, along with coffee and tea for the coffee pot were also provided and replenished every day.
The bathroom was lovely, but a little different. The sink was one large, shallow trough with faucets at each end, but because the water came out so close to the edge of the sink you were splashing water out when washing hands and face. Very nice toiletries were included – shampoo, conditioner, bath wash, body lotion, bar soap, toothbrush, Colgate toothpaste, a comb, a few cotton balls and Q-tips, and small sewing kit. We were supplied with 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 3 washcloths and bathmat. We did notice probably about half the days, when returning to a cleaned room, that we did not have a bathmat for some reason. A couple of times we were missing a towel or two also.
I’d never seen a rectangular toilet before this trip. As a water conservation measure I assume, there were 2 silver buttons on the wall for flushing with the appropriate amount of water. The shower was very good size, had rain head shower head and a hand held nozzle, and built in bench. Water pressure was very good and we never had a problem with hot water. The big thing about the shower and toilet space is the ability to see through the wall of the shower into the bedroom area. It’s a bit odd to be sitting on the toilet and be able to see someone standing next to the bed or to be on the balcony and be able to see the person in the shower from the waist up. It would be so much better if that window separating the shower from the bedroom were frosted, maintaining privacy but still letting light into the bathroom area.
There is a flat screen TV that does get 3 US network channels, ESPN and CNN (international versions of each of the 2 latter), TBS, and the VERY adult channel 96. We noticed that the door to our room and to several other room doors throughout the resort had large vertical cracks in them – one on another room that was so large I felt like I could almost see in the room from the walkway. Each building does have a SMALL elevator that will hold about 6 people only. Purified ice makers are available on the ground floor of every building.
We love the grounds of this resort. Nothing like the swaying of palm trees and the sound of the ocean to put you in a relaxed frame of mind. We spent most of our time at the large free form pool, and loved the individual palapas that are not only large, but also block more sun because they sit low. Pool towels were always plentiful. As others have mentioned, there are nice foam blue floats in the pool for use by ALL – not to save for your personal use by your pool lounger or taken to your room. Everyone would like to have their own float, but that is obviously not possible, and it drives me crazy when some people think they are so special that they should be able to keep one for their personal use. When you’re done floating on it – release it for someone else to use. I will now step down from my soapbox on that! It was great exercise to walk the full length of the pool in the water, not to mention there was pool volleyball and water aerobics. Drink pool service was always great. Bring your own thermal cup to help keep your drink cold! My only complaint was the vodka tonics didn’t taste right. I don’t know if the tonic down there is a different formulation than we are used to here in the US or what.
The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The sand is very soft, which actually makes it difficult to walk in. The beach is steep in areas, and of course the water is pretty rough most of the time. There are plenty of palapas out there too. We walked down the beach just beyond the Bldg 14 area to the “plaza” to shop – this is an area with about 8 beach front shacks, sand for the floors, that sell everything from t-shirts, to wood carvings, to paintings, to swimsuit coverups, to suntan lotion. The do not overly pester you and you can do some bargaining.
We ate breakfast at both Toscana (buffett) and Lobster House (a la carte) and were happy with both. Most lunches were also at Toscana, but we did also eat at the Grill and Las Olas on the beach, and always found plenty to keep us happy. One thing I did notice compared to last time we were here, was that they did smaller portions on the food, which was fine with me. You could try more things and not be as stuffed. I also didn’t feel so guilty trying multiple desserts when they were sample size.
We ate dinner at every location, except for Barcelona and Toscana, as they were both closed during our entire stay for renovation of Barcelona. The day before we left they had finished the walkway in front of Barcelona so if not already open, Barcelona should be ready shortly. Our favorite 2 places were Chez Isabelle and Oregano. As you read a wide variety of comments about the food from reviewers, keep in mind that we all come from different dining out styles and experiences, and just because you might not like one particular thing on the menu, if you try something else you might love it. I personally thought the food was better than 3 years ago. We did have a problem getting to sit together as a group of 10 (5 couples) several times. Sometimes they pulled tables together with no problem, sometimes they made us split up into a group of 6 and 4, and the first time we went to Oregano, when we said we had 10, they asked if we had a reservation. We said we didn’t think they took reservations. They told us they couldn’t seat us as 10, or 6 and 4, or 4, 4 and 2 or in any way, even though there were 3 empty tables we could see. The next day a couple from our group explained the situation to manager Roberto, who agreed it should have been handled better and he made sure that we got a table for 10 that night and service was great. I did ask the concierge later about if reservations are allowed or not. She said for groups of 2 or 4 they do not do reservations. For larger groups, like 8 or 10, you can make reservations, but only for 6:30pm or 9pm. Otherwise, I guess you have to take your chances. I realize this place is geared more towards couples, but we liked to eat together if possible.
We saw a few of the shows in the evening. We love listening to Domingo on saxophone before dinner, and the circus show was very good. We felt that most of the other shows were mediocre, but again, everyone has different tastes. The band/music between 7pm and 9:30 was so loud in the theater lounge area that we had difficulty conversing, and the whole theater area is very dark at night.
We did hear construction sometimes during the day and a few times at night. Only 1 night did I hear it late and I’m sure part of it was because our room was almost next to the Barcelona construction. This is their slower time of year and it makes sense that it’s the best time for them to do upgrades and repairs. Because we did have an recently redone room, I was glad for the renovations.
We would definitely come back here again, as this is one of our favorite all-inclusive resorts. We love not having kids around, the views and surroundings are amazing, and it’s a great place to relax. Just remember to be careful how much you have to drink, especially all those tasty fruity drinks, because between that, too much sun, and too much food, you may spend more time in the room than you want. Check out the Trip Advisor Punta Cana forum posts about how to avoid getting sick on vacation.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have higher ceilings and feel bigger
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort atmosphere.

We all look forward to welcome you on your fourth visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!