“BEST VACATION EVER!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Jersey City, New Jersey
“BEST VACATION EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It was amazing from start to finish. I planned this vacation with my boyfriend and two of our couple friends and no one had anything bad to say. We did intense research on Cheap Carribean and read more than 100 reviews before we made our decision. We chose the Excellence mostly for the reason that it was Adults Only and don't regret our decision for a second. There were absolutely no kids in sight. From the time we stepped onto the resort we were welcomed with a glass of refreshing champagne and a nice, cold wash cloth to freshen up.

We were personally welcomed by the wonderful Roberto Puello who made each moment of vacation a truly memorable one. He has to be the sweetest person on earth and he knows what great and genuine customer service is all about. Roberto always greeted us with a big smile and knew all of our names probably by the second day. He made sure we were well taken care and we couldn't thank him enough for everything he did for. He is a huge asset to the resort and we would definitely be returning because of him and his spectacular service! Thank you so much Roberto!!!

The resort is in amazing condition. Upon arriving to our rooms, everyone couldn't believe how great the suites were. Nothing bad to say about the rooms. The swim up bar was our favorite place to be. The pools are huge and beautiful, but the only down side is that the pools close at 6pm. Other than that, there wasn't one day that we didn't take a dip in the pool.

The beach was spectacular. It's a private beach so everything was so peaceful. My friends enjoyed riding the boogie boards on the beautiful waves. Altogether, the beach beds were great for us who wanted to lay in the sun and tan. Be careful, the Carribean sun is very strong so bring sun protection and apply as much as possible!

The food in all the restaurants were delicious. Our favorite would have to be Toscana and Agave. The breakfast buffet in Toscana was to die for! If you want to try to best omelets or chocolate waffles in the world, please go to Roberto, the cook. There are no words that could describe how awesome he was. My boyfriend really connected with him. Roberto was very attentive to detail, fun, and showed us a lot about the Dominican culture. We enjoyed going to Toscana every morning just to see him. Thank you Robbie! Agave had one of the best steaks I've ever had in my life! Please note, they take the dress code for each restaurant very seriously.

Our trip wouldn't be as memorable as it was if it wasn't for the night time entertainment. I would have to say it was my favorite part of each day. Julio does such a great job with each show and you can honestly tell that HE LOVES HIS JOB! Two of our favorite shows would have to be the Michael Jackson tribute and the Circus show. All the performances were amazing and you don't want to miss it. I would advise everyone to participate when you can. My friends and I took every opportunity to participate and we won awesome prizes, such as 30 minute spa message (which we highly recommend) and even a $100 casino credit which my boyfriend loved! Julio, thank you for all the memories you created for me and my friends. You are great!

Overall, I would recommend the Excellence to anyone who loves great and genuine customer service, delicious selections of food, amazing entertainment, beautiful pools and beach, and a place to call your home away from home. Do believe that my friends and family member will be visiting again very soon!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Punta Cana exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment with special mention of the Michael Jackson and Circus show and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. Please be sure that Roberto Puello, Roberto and Julio will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Korean first
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was the best trip of my life! everything was perfect from begining to end! you have to go see if for yourself!!! The food was amazing and the weather was great the whole time. Although prior to arrival, the weather forecast showed 60% chance of rain, when we go there it rained only once in 6 days for only about 10 minutes at most! It was truly a wonderful time! theres so much to do every minute of the day! Very relaxing and peaceful! Please email me if you have any questions! I'd love to be reminded of my wonderful time there! SamanthaLDuke01@yahoo.com. Also Roberto is the General Manager there and he is thhhheeeee beessttt!! Contact him if you have any concerns regarding your stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tonawanda, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We traveled from 9/15-9/21 for our honeymoon. I read reviews on Tripadvisor every day before we booked and even after we booked. We used Liberty Travel and would highly recommend them as well as Olympus tours for transfers. We had a private transfer to and from the hotel & airport and they were prompt and friendly.
The road getting to the hotel was a little scary; we have vacationed in Mexico before so we can handle crazy driving, but the roads being only wide enough for one and a half cars was unnerving (my husband sat with his face covered and was deep breathing most of the way).
Once we arrived we were taken to the Excellence Club to check in, as we had booked a garden view Excellence Club room. Check in was easy and we were taken to our third floor room as requested (for the vaulted ceilings). The keys didn't work when we arrived but that was quickly taken care of. We had a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting for us. The rooms are a bit dated, but the bathroom area is like new!
We hit most of the restaurants on our trip, only missing Toscana and Barcelona... Spice and Agave being our favorites. Las Olas for lunch was great because they change their special every day; one day was tacos, one sausages, one bbq.
The first two days were great and after that things started going downhill for us. The service was poor and things were forgotten. Over the course of 6 days, we would order drinks near the pool or main stage and they were forgotten over 10 times. Sometimes I would get my drink, and they would forget my husband's. On the Excellence Club beach we were bypassed for drinks countless times. The worst part is that we tip at every all inclusive we go to, the Excellence being no exception. We tip for drink service, breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and only one employee seemed gracious, everyone else acted like they expected it.
The worst part of our trip started when we received a call the night before we were supposed to leave instructing us to leave our luggage in our room the next morning and someone will pick it up by 10:30, our transfer left at 11. We sat down in the lobby watching the hustle and bustle of the day and our luggage didn't come down at 10:30, 10:40, 10:50, not even at 11 when our driver promptly showed up. We contacted the front desk, our driver talked to the bell hops, and we finally got our luggage at 11:20. When the bell hop brought the luggage out to our van and my husband got in without tipping him, he gave my husband the most seething look. I was absolutely disgusted at how he expected a tip for not doing his job well.

While we had a great honeymoon even with the problems with service, I doubt we will be back to the Dominican Republic or any Excellence property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

Allow us to apologize for the bad impression acquired, due to the gratuities given to our staff members. We certainly appreciate all guests who recognize the hard work done by them, even though these are not mandatory or expected by any staff member.

Rochester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Over all the staff was really great but i had this bell boy named Willy and he was out of this world he stayed with us from the beginning of our trip made sure we liked our room took care of our luggage.always smiling and he called our room on a daily bases to see how our vacation was going and if we needed any assistance,he even called our room on his day off. When it was time to leave he showed up at our room and helped us get in our van and work our way back to the airport. The first day we shook his hand then any other encounter we had with him was a hug from Willy. THANKS WILLY I WILL MISS YOUR SMILE.Mr&Mrs Medeiros

Room Tip: ask to see some rooms upon arrival
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

OMG!! This place was absolutely amazing!! I don't have one bad thing to say about this place. Ok maybe there were some ants and other bugs but duh it's a tropical place, you are going to have bugs, lets not get crazy with some of the reviews I heard about the "ant problem" . I understand not everyone is gonna have the same reviews about places they go to but come On some people are just wayyy to picky and expect everything to be perfect! (Even though it was a perfect place to go to) if you are unhappy with excellence Punta Cana, which has the most friendliest staff and the most beautiful beach, than mayyyybe next time you should just stay home.

Anyway...

The staff was amazing, especially santos, altagracia and all of the other staff members were incredible too!! The food was great and the drinks were awesome. My husband and I went for our honeymoon for 10 days and we cannot wait to go back again!! Thank you for making our honeymoon amazing !!

• Stayed September 2013
Noblesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at the Punta Cana resort in September 2013. We were celebrating our 5 year anniversary. The weather was amazing! September is considered the hurricane season, but we didn't have any issues. If you ask me this is the time to go! It is less crowded and easy access to all the beach and pool chairs. I will say be prepared for the taxi ride to the resort from the airport, it was scary!

Room Tip: Building 3 Ocean view! Great view and perfect location to everything.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went to Excellence Punta Cana for 1 week with my boyfriend and his parents. I must have read 1,000 reviews before our vacation. Before we arrived I emailed the concierge at the hotel to request we got our rooms in the same building, close to amenities and to have my boyfriends parents stay in the fist floor, and us on a top floor room. I got a response from the concierge within 48 hours saying they would try their best to accommodate our requests.. When we got to the resort (his parents got there first) they already had us in the same building and gave us both the rooms we wanted! We got the best location! on building 6 right next to the lobby and by the main pool but still quiet and private.
We go to Punta Cana every year, this is our first time at the Excellence resort and first time in an adults only place. Also first time staying in the Uvero Alto area.
The ride from the airport is a little over an hour but it’s not that bad at all.

CHECK IN: it was quick, bags where in our room within 10 minutes. It felt like an hour hehe, we were so ready to hit the pool!

ROOMS: very clean and with enough of everything.. loved the rain shower. Beds are a little hard but we slept fine, after the first night I didn’t notice the hardness of the bed anyway. Minibar was great, all the beer and hard alcohol you could ever want. No way you’ll drink it all…since there are numerous bars right outside your room.

GROUNDS: The place is immaculate, so clean and so well maintained. Don’t be afraid to venture around the resort… grounds are great, Gym is amazing, the sports bar area is cool, we had a blast playing ping pong, they have everything you could ever need in that area. The nature walk is a must, such a nice trail for a morning walk.

SPA: Amazing. We got a couples massage. I’ve been to many nice spas back home and this is in the same level if not better, the hydrotherapy is a must, such a great experience.

POOLS: there are 2 pools, the cascade pool is on one side of the resort, very quiet but always floaties available and plenty of lounge beds and chairs. There is a bar there too but not swim up. The main pool is very very large.. lazy river style, with a gigantic swim up bar plus bars outside of the pool and also wait staff walking around taking drink orders. Kelvin at the swim up bar is great. The beds by the pools are so comfy!

BEACH: I was afraid I wouldn’t like the beach since this is not in Bavaro area (Caribbean sea) which is where I have stayed in the past… well I was so wrong, the beach is amazing! The waves are super fun, the water is still blue and warm, and the sand is very fine and white. Beach beds are very comfortable, and we had Omar making sure we always had a drink in hand while we were at the beach. The beach is super clean, I like it better than Bavaro because its so secluded.. it’s very safe to walk around beyond the resort; in fact I would highly recommend it, go to the right of the resort (Facing the ocean) and you’ll find some calmer waters with some coral for snorkeling.

FOOD: I think the food here is really good compared to other resorts, they have so many restaurants to chose from. I wish they had mangu everyday at breakfast! But they did have it every other day. Breakfast buffet is amazing thou, you can make your own mimosas!. Some of my favorite meals: Fried icecream at Spice, Napolitana pizza at Oregano, Chateaubriand at Chez Isabelle and Baranchera at Agave… I think the meats at agave were the best. The Chateubriand at Chez Isabelle takes a very close second. The lobster house was great but not as good as the other restaurants. The Dominican dinner they had at the beach was great! Specially the dessert spread they had. We ordered room service for breakfast one day: the French toasts are to die for…

DRINKS: all the drinks were great, loved the drink of the day concept: look for the drin of the day in the daily program you get in your room the night before… favorites include: Coco loco, Sammy Sosa, Yellow Bird ...mamajuana shots!

STAFF: I agree with past reviews this is the highlight of the resort… they have amazing people working there. Special thanks for the entertainment staff for making our stay so fun! Mr. Chelly and Bernie are a trip, those two work so hard all day to make sure everyone is having a good time. Mr Chelly was the greatest though… he remembered our names after the 1st time we met him and was always so friendly, I don’t know how he does it! My favorite bartenders were Kelvin at the swim up bar he is the sweetest and always took great care of us, Omar always made sure we have enough drinks at the beach and mamajuana shots! Also Luis at the lobby bar was great. The Shows at night are great and super entertaining specially the circus and MJ shows…Note: bring singles for tips, these people are amazing and should be rewarded for their hard work.

In conclusion, GO HERE! Enough said, best all inclusive adults only resort in Punta Cana… We are coming back, very very soon ;)

Room Tip: Look at the hotel map before hand and email them 2 weeks before and tell them where you'll like...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation, and enjoyable food and drinks in our restaurants and bars. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities. Allow us also to confirm that Kelvin, Omar, Chelly, Bernie and Luis will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

At our hotel we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon for another family vacation or romantic getaway.

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!