“Excellleennntteee!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
20%Off room rate
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
“Excellleennntteee!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was the best trip of my life! everything was perfect from begining to end! you have to go see if for yourself!!! The food was amazing and the weather was great the whole time. Although prior to arrival, the weather forecast showed 60% chance of rain, when we go there it rained only once in 6 days for only about 10 minutes at most! It was truly a wonderful time! theres so much to do every minute of the day! Very relaxing and peaceful! Please email me if you have any questions! I'd love to be reminded of my wonderful time there! SamanthaLDuke01@yahoo.com. Also Roberto is the General Manager there and he is thhhheeeee beessttt!! Contact him if you have any concerns regarding your stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,155)
  • Korean first
Tonawanda, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We traveled from 9/15-9/21 for our honeymoon. I read reviews on Tripadvisor every day before we booked and even after we booked. We used Liberty Travel and would highly recommend them as well as Olympus tours for transfers. We had a private transfer to and from the hotel & airport and they were prompt and friendly.
The road getting to the hotel was a little scary; we have vacationed in Mexico before so we can handle crazy driving, but the roads being only wide enough for one and a half cars was unnerving (my husband sat with his face covered and was deep breathing most of the way).
Once we arrived we were taken to the Excellence Club to check in, as we had booked a garden view Excellence Club room. Check in was easy and we were taken to our third floor room as requested (for the vaulted ceilings). The keys didn't work when we arrived but that was quickly taken care of. We had a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting for us. The rooms are a bit dated, but the bathroom area is like new!
We hit most of the restaurants on our trip, only missing Toscana and Barcelona... Spice and Agave being our favorites. Las Olas for lunch was great because they change their special every day; one day was tacos, one sausages, one bbq.
The first two days were great and after that things started going downhill for us. The service was poor and things were forgotten. Over the course of 6 days, we would order drinks near the pool or main stage and they were forgotten over 10 times. Sometimes I would get my drink, and they would forget my husband's. On the Excellence Club beach we were bypassed for drinks countless times. The worst part is that we tip at every all inclusive we go to, the Excellence being no exception. We tip for drink service, breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and only one employee seemed gracious, everyone else acted like they expected it.
The worst part of our trip started when we received a call the night before we were supposed to leave instructing us to leave our luggage in our room the next morning and someone will pick it up by 10:30, our transfer left at 11. We sat down in the lobby watching the hustle and bustle of the day and our luggage didn't come down at 10:30, 10:40, 10:50, not even at 11 when our driver promptly showed up. We contacted the front desk, our driver talked to the bell hops, and we finally got our luggage at 11:20. When the bell hop brought the luggage out to our van and my husband got in without tipping him, he gave my husband the most seething look. I was absolutely disgusted at how he expected a tip for not doing his job well.

While we had a great honeymoon even with the problems with service, I doubt we will be back to the Dominican Republic or any Excellence property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that our service was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

Allow us to apologize for the bad impression acquired, due to the gratuities given to our staff members. We certainly appreciate all guests who recognize the hard work done by them, even though these are not mandatory or expected by any staff member.

Rochester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Over all the staff was really great but i had this bell boy named Willy and he was out of this world he stayed with us from the beginning of our trip made sure we liked our room took care of our luggage.always smiling and he called our room on a daily bases to see how our vacation was going and if we needed any assistance,he even called our room on his day off. When it was time to leave he showed up at our room and helped us get in our van and work our way back to the airport. The first day we shook his hand then any other encounter we had with him was a hug from Willy. THANKS WILLY I WILL MISS YOUR SMILE.Mr&Mrs Medeiros

Room Tip: ask to see some rooms upon arrival
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

OMG!! This place was absolutely amazing!! I don't have one bad thing to say about this place. Ok maybe there were some ants and other bugs but duh it's a tropical place, you are going to have bugs, lets not get crazy with some of the reviews I heard about the "ant problem" . I understand not everyone is gonna have the same reviews about places they go to but come On some people are just wayyy to picky and expect everything to be perfect! (Even though it was a perfect place to go to) if you are unhappy with excellence Punta Cana, which has the most friendliest staff and the most beautiful beach, than mayyyybe next time you should just stay home.

Anyway...

The staff was amazing, especially santos, altagracia and all of the other staff members were incredible too!! The food was great and the drinks were awesome. My husband and I went for our honeymoon for 10 days and we cannot wait to go back again!! Thank you for making our honeymoon amazing !!

• Stayed September 2013
Noblesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at the Punta Cana resort in September 2013. We were celebrating our 5 year anniversary. The weather was amazing! September is considered the hurricane season, but we didn't have any issues. If you ask me this is the time to go! It is less crowded and easy access to all the beach and pool chairs. I will say be prepared for the taxi ride to the resort from the airport, it was scary!

Room Tip: Building 3 Ocean view! Great view and perfect location to everything.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went to Excellence Punta Cana for 1 week with my boyfriend and his parents. I must have read 1,000 reviews before our vacation. Before we arrived I emailed the concierge at the hotel to request we got our rooms in the same building, close to amenities and to have my boyfriends parents stay in the fist floor, and us on a top floor room. I got a response from the concierge within 48 hours saying they would try their best to accommodate our requests.. When we got to the resort (his parents got there first) they already had us in the same building and gave us both the rooms we wanted! We got the best location! on building 6 right next to the lobby and by the main pool but still quiet and private.
We go to Punta Cana every year, this is our first time at the Excellence resort and first time in an adults only place. Also first time staying in the Uvero Alto area.
The ride from the airport is a little over an hour but it’s not that bad at all.

CHECK IN: it was quick, bags where in our room within 10 minutes. It felt like an hour hehe, we were so ready to hit the pool!

ROOMS: very clean and with enough of everything.. loved the rain shower. Beds are a little hard but we slept fine, after the first night I didn’t notice the hardness of the bed anyway. Minibar was great, all the beer and hard alcohol you could ever want. No way you’ll drink it all…since there are numerous bars right outside your room.

GROUNDS: The place is immaculate, so clean and so well maintained. Don’t be afraid to venture around the resort… grounds are great, Gym is amazing, the sports bar area is cool, we had a blast playing ping pong, they have everything you could ever need in that area. The nature walk is a must, such a nice trail for a morning walk.

SPA: Amazing. We got a couples massage. I’ve been to many nice spas back home and this is in the same level if not better, the hydrotherapy is a must, such a great experience.

POOLS: there are 2 pools, the cascade pool is on one side of the resort, very quiet but always floaties available and plenty of lounge beds and chairs. There is a bar there too but not swim up. The main pool is very very large.. lazy river style, with a gigantic swim up bar plus bars outside of the pool and also wait staff walking around taking drink orders. Kelvin at the swim up bar is great. The beds by the pools are so comfy!

BEACH: I was afraid I wouldn’t like the beach since this is not in Bavaro area (Caribbean sea) which is where I have stayed in the past… well I was so wrong, the beach is amazing! The waves are super fun, the water is still blue and warm, and the sand is very fine and white. Beach beds are very comfortable, and we had Omar making sure we always had a drink in hand while we were at the beach. The beach is super clean, I like it better than Bavaro because its so secluded.. it’s very safe to walk around beyond the resort; in fact I would highly recommend it, go to the right of the resort (Facing the ocean) and you’ll find some calmer waters with some coral for snorkeling.

FOOD: I think the food here is really good compared to other resorts, they have so many restaurants to chose from. I wish they had mangu everyday at breakfast! But they did have it every other day. Breakfast buffet is amazing thou, you can make your own mimosas!. Some of my favorite meals: Fried icecream at Spice, Napolitana pizza at Oregano, Chateaubriand at Chez Isabelle and Baranchera at Agave… I think the meats at agave were the best. The Chateubriand at Chez Isabelle takes a very close second. The lobster house was great but not as good as the other restaurants. The Dominican dinner they had at the beach was great! Specially the dessert spread they had. We ordered room service for breakfast one day: the French toasts are to die for…

DRINKS: all the drinks were great, loved the drink of the day concept: look for the drin of the day in the daily program you get in your room the night before… favorites include: Coco loco, Sammy Sosa, Yellow Bird ...mamajuana shots!

STAFF: I agree with past reviews this is the highlight of the resort… they have amazing people working there. Special thanks for the entertainment staff for making our stay so fun! Mr. Chelly and Bernie are a trip, those two work so hard all day to make sure everyone is having a good time. Mr Chelly was the greatest though… he remembered our names after the 1st time we met him and was always so friendly, I don’t know how he does it! My favorite bartenders were Kelvin at the swim up bar he is the sweetest and always took great care of us, Omar always made sure we have enough drinks at the beach and mamajuana shots! Also Luis at the lobby bar was great. The Shows at night are great and super entertaining specially the circus and MJ shows…Note: bring singles for tips, these people are amazing and should be rewarded for their hard work.

In conclusion, GO HERE! Enough said, best all inclusive adults only resort in Punta Cana… We are coming back, very very soon ;)

Room Tip: Look at the hotel map before hand and email them 2 weeks before and tell them where you'll like...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation, and enjoyable food and drinks in our restaurants and bars. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities. Allow us also to confirm that Kelvin, Omar, Chelly, Bernie and Luis will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

At our hotel we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon for another family vacation or romantic getaway.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed from 9/14/2013 to 9/20/2013.

Travel

The plane ride was easy, we had a direct flight from our hometown in Baltimore. Punta Cana Airport was very easy. Have $10 ready per person, you will fly through their customs. Once through customs, you will be hounded by airport workers looking to take your bag to your transfer counter. I would suggest you save the tip money and just carry your own bags. We booked transfer taxi to the resort and back with Dominican Airport Travel (Optium). We did in advance of the trip through their website. It was convenient and very easy. I would recommend them. We booked a shared ride, but ended up getting a dedicated van none the less. The ride to Excellence was interesting. You start out on a nice wide highway and by the time you arrive you are on a dirt road. Best way to describe the taxi ride was ‘organized chaos’. Everytime you think your driver has no idea what they are doing, the other drivers move out of the way or a speed bump or speed rumbles force them to slow down. Crazy experience to say the least.

Room

Once we arrived, the Excellence staff literally takes over. They are incredibly friendly and attentive. At check-in, we thought we were in the Excellence Club to begin with, but found out otherwise. I had even confirmed this in advance, not a big deal. I was told of the upgrade charge of $420 and declined. We did ask for and received a 3rd floor room with no issue. I did that largely based on the reviews from this site. I liked the idea of a nice big ceiling and better views. The room was very nice and we were not disappointed. Neither my wife nor I liked the location however. We were in building 3 which was along the edge of the resort. At first this was not a big deal, but as you stay there and have to make that walk multiple times every day, you begin to realize how much nicer a central location is. All the Excellence club buildings are centrally located, so again, as the week wore on, we realized a reason why you pay the premium charge. One last thing about the Excellence Club, they allegedly offer free internet access and the use of iPads. If you are traveling and want to keep in touch with loved ones, get the Excellence club. We figured we could use our iPhones and Facetime, but to be honest, the resort wi-fi was spotty even in the main lobby. The resort does have an internet café, but the charge is $8/hour and they are pc’s, not Macs. That was a downer to not be able to Facetime with our kids at home. Not important to some, but it was to us. Moving on……

Beach

We spent 2 days on the beach and the rest of the time around the main pool. The beach really is amazing. The sand is very soft and the beds and lounges are very nice. They offer/bring you drinks multiple times a day. The waves are somewhat rough, but not at all menacing. I say embrace it and rent a boogie board (free rentals). Besides, if you want no wave action, walk half a football field length to the point and there are no waves at all. It’s like swimming in a private cove right off the beach. They had volleyball and various games on the beach. It was quiet when you wanted to nap (pass out) and fun with you wanted to mingle, drink and have a good time with others.

Pools

While we were closer to the Cascade Pool, we spent most of our time in and around the main pool. We got most our drinks from the swim up pool bar, then shared a floatie and just cruised around with drinks in hand. My wife liked the Mango Colada the best. I usually got a tequila sunrise, Presidente drafts or Johnny Walker Red on the rocks. There is top shelf liquor all over the place, simply ask for it. The Ron Barcelo special reserve rum is awesome in a colada. Try the mama-juana at least once while you’re there just to say you did it. The bartenders were great and attentive. We arrived at the resort with $60 in singles and spent maybe $50 during the entire trip. I’m not saying we got better service because we consistently tipped, but it probably didn’t hurt either.

Sports Pavilions

The sports pavilions were very nice for those husbands who don’t want to miss NFL games. FYI, they do not have Sunday ticket, so you will only get the national games. There is an outdoor bar to get drinks, watch the games, play billards, ping pong, and fooseball…..pretty cool setup. I actually set up a free tennis lesson and played with the instructor over there one morning as well. Equipment they give you was perfectly fine even for advanced players.

The restaurants were very good. I see lots of reviews indicating bland food which we did not find to be the case. I would say the lobster house was one of our best meals. I got a steamed garlic lobster and my wife got a half lobster and red snapper. It is definitely not your more common Main lobster but it was quite good. We ate at Agave, Toscano, Grill, Las Olas, Chez Isabelle, and Spice. All were very good. They all have a wine list from which you can purchase rather expensive bottles or you can just go with the house versions, which is what we always did. For breakfast you can go to Toscano or Lobster House. We tried both. Toscano was always a massive buffet complete with two omlette stations, and a waffle/pancake station while Lobster House offered a menu with items such as: English breakfast, American breakfast, and Mexican breakfast. It was pretty humorous to see. We liked the varity at Toscano the best, but oddly enough, the English breakfast was REALLY good!

Overall

Most of the reviews are pretty much right on when they say the best part about the place is the service. They really do excel at it here and are very attentive without being overbearing. Are there better options out there for all inclusive? Of course, but from my experience, the value based on what we paid was phenomenal. I figure we spent half as much here then when we went on our honeymoon to Sandals Antigua and Excellence Punta Cana was superior in many ways to Sandals. Sorry Sandals. I truly appreciated the mix of young and older couples and the way in which there was a place and time for every demographic. We are a relatively young couple but not in our 20’s anymore so that piece of it was appreciated. If you booked here, there is really no reason to second guess your purchase. You will have an Excellent time.

Room Tip: From our experience, try to choose a centrally located building if possible. The resort is not that...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana to celebrate such special occasion as your 05th wedding anniversary.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience, moreover, we are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodations, and enjoyable food & drinks in our restaurants and bars

We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!