“Awesome Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
Revere, Massachusetts
“Awesome Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went here for our honeymoon, stayed for 10 days, and let me say we are already planning our trip back. We honestly had a great time! The hotel is clean , our room was spacious, and the staff is very helpful. We enjoyed having a variety of restaurants available and there was no wait time. I loved that it was a true couples resort, there are plenty of things to do everyday and there is a gym, tennis courts, a small casino and night club. There is also a little street, filled with different stores. We ended up going on the "Reef Explorer" excursion, it was great(if you like going at your own pace and don't mind just getting a tan). We ended up grading to the "Excellence Club' and for a couple of dollars more it was totally worth the splurge and it's the way to go. It offers access to a clubhouse with ipads and different snacks during the day. Well worth it. I could go on and on. I can't wait for us to go back!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Excellence Club, we stayed on the ground floor in section 8. Perfect access to t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,400)
  • Korean first
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had such a wonderful time at this resort! The staff was very friendly, welcoming, accommodating, fun and helped make our trip enjoyable. Sandy was an excellent server-he always had a big smile and greeting for us. Kassandra and Chely were also excellent. We enjoyed bike rides, water aerobics, dancing, volleyball and socializing with them. Fransisco was the best bar tender and made us delicious drinks. Franklin was an amazing dive master and took me on my first dive. I knew he cared for me and wanted me to have a great experience-he was so friendly and made our diving experience unforgettable! The entertainment each night was fun. We loved the outdoor themed dinners. The entire resort was beautiful, clean, and we loved the beach and pools. Our room was nice and always cleaned in a timely manner and well stocked. We were on the ground level with a garden view. We would return in a heartbeat!

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana for two weeks, 12 - 26 July having visited the Excellence Cancun Riviera the previous year. The Cancun hotel was superior, but you would expect that from a top hotel in Mexico. An example would be the Martini Bar which was air conditioned in the Cancun site but not the one in Punta Cana.
The food was very good, the best T Bone steaks I have ever had were in the grill house. We thought the atmosphere in the Barcelona and the Lobster house a little lacking. Having said that, there are plenty of choices, no booking necessary, food good, as was the service. Good wine too, especially the Chilean chardonnay. Breakfast and lunch in the Toscana very good.
The beach was stunning in its appearance, clean and well kept. The currents in the sea were extremely strong and you had to be a swimmer of olympian standards to brave the waves. Having said that, lifeguards with their whistles we always keeping an eye on the conditions and would tell you to leave the water if they thought it appropriate to do so. There was a pleasant breeze all day long.
The staff helpful and our thanks go to Doniel in the Cafe Cafe (his dexterity with a machette secures that kind comment!) for such good humour and service. Special thanks go to Brenda who made us feel so welcome when we visited the Grill House. She is an asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a master suite, block 5. Spacious. No complaints.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I went two days after our wedding for our honeymoon. I have to admit that I wasn't very excited. Because it is a couples resort, I assumed there wouldn't be much to do besides lay on the beach, stuff myself, and have long conversations of our enduring love. I couldn't have been more wrong. Every day there is a page long list of activities ranging from spanish lessons (a little spanish in the dominican goes a long way) to tennis tournaments they place on your door knob the night before. I recommend the half hour morning bike ride with Mr. Chelly to see the digging bees. There is a decent gym, four tennis courts, two full length basketball courts. There is an outdoor sports bar with foosball, air hockey, pool, ping pong, darts, 3 tvs with 90 channels (half english speaking), a full bar with sandwiches and gelato. There are games in the pool going on all the time. There are kayaks, boogie boards, scuba rentals, etc. by the ocean. Also, every night there is an event for everyone at the main stage (The circus was amazing). In addition to all this outside companies offer excursions where you can go on a party boat, deep sea fishing, etc. I recommend the dune buggie trip with chino the haitian tour guide offered by the horse ranch, talk to diego in the orange shirt, he'll hook you up. I could go on forever about all the things you can fill your time with, but there's the 200 char. max.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor (3rd) to get high ceilings and a little more seclusion.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence for a week on our honeymoon and really enjoyed our stay. I had read reviews prior to going on the trip and seen a lot that said the hotel was "old" and I completely disagree. The outside looks like I would think a hotel in the Dominican Republic would look... and the rooms were gorgeous! We had an ocean front room with a king size bed and loved it! We spent most of our time at the pool rather than the beach, but the waitresses come around all during the day and ask if you want anything from the bar, which is really nice! Altegracia was an amazing lady who waited on us all week :) One thing I would say is that if you are looking for crystal clear blue water that is flat, you aren't going to get that here. The water reminded me of the NC beaches, where I am from. They were nice, but not the flat water some people might be expecting. The food was good, but not great; however, at an all inclusive resort, I wasn't expecting the food to be 5 star quality. There was fun entertainment every night at the hotel and I felt like the staff enjoyed their jobs and were happy to be at work everyday, which definitely makes for a more enjoyable stay! One more thing-- it is about an hour drive from the airport so it is a pretty long drive! We arranged our transportation through the hotel and paid a total $140 and I thought it was worth it! We got our own car and so we didn't have to stop to drop people off at the other 8 hotels you pass on your way to the Excellence!

Plainville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary at the Excellence-6 glorious days in August! The staff here was the best we have ever met. Everyone is friendly, happy, fun-and they cannot do enough to make your stay amazing. The entire facility, including the beach, is beautiful and clean. Staff is always at work to keep this place tip-top. Food was good and the shows nightly were good. Very quiet in the rooms (we had a 3rd floor garden view with a balcony) and it was as if we were the only ones there. Weather was beautiful-one brief rainy period out of 6 days (except for a couple showers over night). Daily beach activities (no pressure to join), such as water balloon contest, raw egg contest, bocce, horseback riding, boogie boarding-all included of course. Waiters are there before you even finish your drink...Tip them please-they work so hard!
We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: 3rd floor garden view gives you a breathtaking scenery and very quiet!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just returned from 2 days at EPC. We went to Excellence Riviera Cancun last year so was a bit concerned that this would not live up to expectations but it did.

The airport, I have to say was a nightmare. 4 planes arrived close together and there were 4 officers at immigration. It took an hour with no air-con and by the time we got through our bags were stood at the side of the carousel! Possibly we got unlucky in the queue we picked. Going out was easier.

The transfer was not as bad as it is sometimes made out. On the way back we used part of the new highway which is smoother and quicker.

Check in was smooth. We had got a good deal on Excellence Club when we booked and enjoyed the use of the club and the beach. Not sure I would pay a lot extra. The room was second floor and fine. Block 10 was nice and quiet. The room was cleaned early and very well.

The hotel is remote and if you want to do excursions it means a longish trip. We chose not to as we had gone to chill and relax but plenty did. The excursion sellers will find you on the first day but didn't hassle you. If you walk along the beach past the end of the resort you will also get approached to go to the shops but again a "no" will do.

Food was fine, we found it was a bit more locally influenced than in Mexico but we liked that. It was definitely not the terrible food that some reviewers have claimed. I saw people complaining about the smallest things eg no capers at breakfast and no coconut icecream at lunch (even though there were 6 other flavours to choose from!). I think some people want exactly home from home so should stay at home!

We enjoyed using the Excellence Bar before dinner and must give a special mention to Melvyn the bartender. After 2 nights he knew our drinks order and we enjoyed finding out about his life and country. We found all the staff lovely and helpful. We did tip although not all the time and it made no difference to service. We also enjoyed the Espresso Martinis at the Martini Bar and had a very late night there after meeting two lovely Canadians. There are very few English people at the resort and the staff spotted our accents easily usually with a "cheers mate" or "Lubbly jubbly"

There were loads of loungers and plenty of shade and it was nice not to have to grab a lounger at 7am like at some places! The beach had a good breeze so we preferred there.

Overall a great time. When we first arrived we thought that we would decide the Mexican resort was going to be our preferred one but now we think this one has the edge for us but only just.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants.

We all look forward to welcome you on your third visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!