“Good, but not great!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 15% Off room rate
Ranked #10 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Good, but not great!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Before I go into detail about anything, can't stress enough...BRING AT LEAST 2 BOTTLES OF REPLANT SPRAY!!! The bugs are crucial out there. Getting off the plane to get through customs is about a 2 hr process, plus a $10 fee per person. The building was very humid and not organized at all. Once you get through that process, you find yourself riding the streets on a very bumpy hour long ride to get to the resort from the airport, $70 one way, lets say greeting you with a cold towel and glass of champagne is much appreciated. Not sure who thought of the design of the rooms, but having an open view from the toilet through the shower to the bedroom is pretty ridiculous. I don't care how long you have been married or with your significant other, I'm sure you don't want to see anyone defecating or vice versa. Also you can forget about leaving the patio doors open for a fresh breeze, because there isn't any screens at the doors, well at least the room we were in (9203). Beds aren't comfortable at all. We found our mattress to be very hard. Also the chase that was in the room had a mildew smell to it. The sink started clogging up at day 3. The positive for the resorts is the different choices of restaurants, pool, games and the beach. My favorite drink was the Sammy Sosa. I felt as if Juan was my personnel waiter. He made sure cups were refilled, empty bottles were removed, towels were changed, you name it. He took very good care of us. Adan was another staff member who stood out as well far as services in the restaurants. I will say if I ever decide to return to Punta Cana, this would not be my first choice of resorts. The Excellence hotel was a very nice hotel. It's a little dated and could use some upgrades, hence me only giving it 4 stars.

Room Tip: Tipping does nothing; you get the same service regardless
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.
Regarding your comment about the room layout, we would like to inform to all our readers that the view is from the room to the shower (and vice versa). There is no visibility from the room to the toilet as the shower is first.
Thank you once again for taking time to give us your opinion. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and provide you the memorable and relaxing experience you deserve.

8,296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,832)
  • Korean first
Clermont, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I went to The Excellence Resort Punta Cana for our honeymoon on July 8-13, 2013. We went there with high hopes and expectations due to the recommendations we received from multiple couples. The resort is about 1 hour away from the airport, and let's just say I was so happy that we both made it there alive. It was the craziest drive I have ever been on-we almost got hit by another car twice. Upon arrival, we were greeted with champagne and a cool towel, which was lovely after that car ride! While checking in, they told us to wait about 20-30 minutes. But I guess because we upgraded they went on to say it would take at least an 1.5 hr. We waited in the VIP lounge and went to get our mediocre lunch and our room still wasn't ready. (we arrived around 3 and didn't get our room until around 5:45). So the first day we didn't even get to swim because the pools close at 6. The rest of the trip went somewhat smooth, with the exception of Tropical Storm Chantel taking away most of our sun. The food was well below par. The only good "meal" we had all week was their pizza, which was brick fired and delicious. We were extremely disappointed after paying all that money to get barely edible food. We went home craving real food! Also, the room quality was okay, clean, but needed updates. My husband also slept a total of 6 hours throughout the entire trip because of a bird who made an obnoxious noise during the whole night. Overall, the resort was beautiful and the staff was amazing! Food could use some serious help.

Room Tip: Specify which view you would like to have.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.
However we can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction. We would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We absolutely LOVED our honeymoon. HOWEVER, I unfortunately left my phone in the VIP Services van that took us back to the airport. Once I realized it, we tried having them contact the driver, who said he didn't find it. I put my phone in lost mode and was notified yesterday that it was turned on! I can see on the satellite map of find my iPhone that it was turned on at the resort. It made it back to the resort and the last place I had it was in the van at the airport. I've tried calling guest services at Excellence Punta Cana, they keep sending me to Lost & Found, who say they don't have it. Very frustrating that no one will help me or even go a little out of their way to help track it down. I called as soon as Find My iPhone notified me, so someone had it somewhere in the lobby. Anyways, very nice resort but very frustrating that they have zero customer service once you leave.

Aside from that, it was a very nice resort. Most of the food was great, namely the filet mignon and fish!! Their blenders don't really work at all, which makes for big chunks of ice in your blended drinks. The pool and beach are beautiful, we had a blast!

Room Tip: Top floor!! Excellence club not worth the extra $$, spend it on a massage instead.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana to celebrate such an special occasion as your honeymoon.
It is a pleasure to know that your overall vacation experience with us, was of your satisfaction. Regarding the unfortunate loss of your phone, we would appreciate if you contact us to: customerservice@excellence-resorts.com. We will be more than eager to assist you.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my first trip to the Dominican an will always be remembered as great one
When we first got out room it was the middle level with views of a wall and quite a dirty room we instantly rang to change room to which they moved us on to the top level to a cleaner and what looked like a newly furnished room with a beautiful view once we sorted the room we where very happy an then enjoyed what the hotel had to other. The food was some of the best food I've ever eaten and by fair the best from any all inclusive hotel I had stayed at before the seafood was Devine and the fish and chips at lunch was the best I've ever had.
The best was lovely but the sea was very rough every day but this was the only negative on the holiday that couldn't be resolved. The location of the hotel was also a bit annoying having to travel on average a minimum of an hour an a half to get to any excursion but this was also a bonus. On the last three nights we upgraded room to what u believe was called a rooftop terrace which was awesome having our own private pool on the roof and having amazing views of the beach on one side and mountains on the other this is one hotel I'd defiantly go back to and would highly recommend a few nights in the upgraded room if you can afford I think it was $600 dollars per night but chat to the reception you never no what deal you could get it worked for us.

Room Tip: Try and get a top floor room fur to the angled roof it makes the room feel massive compared to other...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.
We are delighted to read that you had an excellent vacation with us. Moreover, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the quality of food & drinks encountered and our hotel accommodations.
At Excellence Punta Cana we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction.
We all look forward to serve you soon and provide you with another amazing experience.
Ploiesti, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The road from the aeroport to the hotel took almost one hour, but the resort was beautiful. I was on Excellence club, where you have a private lounge, and a private beach. The food from the lounge was very good and the service was great. They have enough restaurants, where the food is a la carte in the evening. The resort have and a botanical garden and beautiful birds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent 7 days there for our 5 year anniversary. We were excellence club members and stayed in a garden view on 3rd floor. The vaulted ceilings of 3rd floor were great. We wouldn't spend the money on excellence club again. The food at the Toscana lunch buffet was way better and more to choose from compared to the EC lounge. The food, in general, was not great. We enjoyed Oreganos, Spice and Chez Izabelle. The room service menu was NOT good. At least what I ordered. I wanted ice cream for room service and I was told no because it wasn't on the menu! That's not nice :(
Overall we were very pleased with the pools, spa, beach area and layout. We traveled with another couple and the husband was sick the entire time! He didn't eat a single thing on the resort besides bagged chips for sale from the gift shop. My husband and I had our "systems" out of whack (like running to the bathroom 4-7 times a day) the entire time and didn't get back to normal until we returned home.
Overall, we WANTED to have the best time of our lives and really tried, but it just didn't happen. We will return back to the Caribbean, but not the Dominican Republic or any Excellence resorts.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks. At Excellence Punta Cana our staff is trained on food safety practices and It is our goal to maintain the highest standards for all our guests and we always make sure that the food and the drinks are served according to the highest standards of hygiene.
We do apologize if we failed to provide the quality service that Excellence Resorts is highly known for. We would be grateful to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to provide you an Excellence experience.
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The resort and rooms were very beautiful. Good and service was great. No reservations needed which was nice! Chez isabelle was my fav! Only complaints were the beds were not comfortable at all and the beach side shops to left of resort were extremely pushy. Don't buy from the guy in the last hut. He'll rip you off. Be prepared for a long day at the airport too. Took us over three hours in customs. Overall a great trip to excellence though!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!