“Awesome Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
“Awesome Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The best resort we have ever stayed at. All the staff went above and beyond any expectation we had. They are super friendly and willing to do anything you need. A big thanks to Abrahan and Santos......best bell hops ever.
Great entertainment program with great staff.............here is to you Miguel.
Very clean rooms and public areas.
Beautiful beach and pools.........pool bar attendant always looked after us.........Big thanks to Felix and the best coco loco's.
Restaurants were good..............can't say anything was terrible but the Spice was our favorite. My advise is just try them, its personal preference really. Room service was great.

Basically you would be missing a fantastic get-away if you did NOT go here.

Would I go back here? Absolutely without hesitation!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you like the pool, splurge and get the excellence club pool view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,297)
  • Korean first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

stayed at the resort (junior suite) for nearly two weeks for my friends' wedding.. paid for a room with a sea view but it was rather obscured by the palm trees even though I was on the 2nd (top) floor; it was however better than other people's views who did not pay extra and had swimming pool/garden views.. a much better view was offered in the blocks 1, 2 and 3. Couple of months prior to my arrival I requested a room in block 7, which is fairly close to everything but never even got a reply to my emails and upon arrival was told that hotel was full and my request could not be fulfilled.. I got a room in block 11, fairly a long way from all the bars, restaurants and sport activities.

There are few restaurants in the hotel, some with a strict dress-code for lunch & dinner, the food is ok but I haven't eaten anything outstanding; fresh juices and egg white omelettes at breakfast were a plus; normally there was no buffet at dinner time, only a la carte menus, sometimes my friends have complained of their portions being too small.

There are few little bars dotted around the place but drinks aren't impressive either, very sweet and the alcohol isn't of the best brands but I guess that's to be expected from an all inclusive resort. Pretty much all of them close early and we "had to" end up drinking the alcohol in our rooms (rum, whiskey and vodka + beers were provided in the rooms).

I was hoping the beach will be more idyllic but it was clean and ok for long walks. we were warned not to wander off too far because of the "banditos" hiding in the forest, luckily we didn't see any.. there were a lot of locals trying to drag you in to their hut-shops which was rather annoying as they were very persistent and there were many of them.

the hotel offers quite few activities (again, the reps are rather annoying trying to sell you stuff) e.g. horse riding, helicopter ride (nice scenery but more expensive than a ride over NYC), snorkelling and quite few sporting competitions..

there weren't I don't think many Germans (mostly Canadian & US citizens) staying at the resort yet you had to get up well early to get well-located sunbeds whether at the pool or on the beach; even though the hotel policy does not supposedly allow towels to be left on the sun loungers to reserve these...

I liked the idea of the swim-up bar, shame about the quality of the drinks though.. and my friends loved their stay and their wedding day was lovely..

would I stay there again? definitely not...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a wonderful vacation! The resort was beautiful, our room was magnificent, the staff fell over each other to pamper us, and some of the restaurants were great. I highly recommend a visit to the Mille Spa and a couples massage. My legs were like putty, one of the best massages I ever had. I had a medical emergency (left my insulin at home) and the medical services staff and the pharmacy were quick to respond and get me what I needed. Everyone was quite responsive to my needs.

What did I enjoy the best? Besides the beautiful beach and the free-flowing Coco Locos, I enjoyed the staff. My parents are Dominican so it was a joy to be amonst so many Dominicans. It would have been nice to have other Dominicans staying as guests as well. I had 2 cousins and their spouses meet us at the resort so it was a mini family reunion. I loved the Mexican restaurant (my favorite) and the Asian restaurant (SPICE) was my second favorite. Other than that, the sancocho at the Grill for lunch and the asopao and mofongo at the Olas were to die for. My favorite meal was had during the Dominican night. Every dish brought me back to my childhood. My favorites were on the dessert table: habichuelas con dulce, dulce de leche cortao, etc. I also enjoyed the kipes. The Excellence Club Lounge was wonderful! What a treat!!! Having access to an iPAD and the daylong goodies was such a treat. Miguel was wonderful and took care of our every need.

What I didn't like: One of the women in the Excellence Club Lounge had an attitude. She was never very helpful and seemed to push me aside to take care of other guests. She did the same to my cousin so we can only deduce that we weren't white enough for her. Also, the air conditioning in La Toscana wasn't working so we usually had breakfast in a sweat. I would love to see a Dominican restaurant on the premises instead of having to search for the 1 or 2 Dominican dishes spread across the resort. The 30 minute horseback riding wasn't worth it. Also, our room had a very musty odor about it. Good thing they provided us with incense.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite ocean view. It was beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked the Excellence for my husband's birthday. When we arrived we were greeted by a bellman with champagne, which was lovely. The disappointment came when we checked in and were told my upgrade, I paid for, to a suite was unavailable. We still were given an ocean view room, which I had paid for, but not a suite. They did offer to compensate with the Excellence Club, but we did not receive a refund for the upgrade. We did use the Excellence Club's restricted beach area. Other than that, the resort was lovely. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very nice. The staff was fabulous and in uniforms to identify them. We tried several of the restaurants and the food was good, not great. Once again though, the service was wonderful. I would recommend this resort. It is out away from most of the other ones and is somewhat remote, which we liked. A very relaxing trip, but excursions are offered. The night time entertainment was quite good and it was a nice way to end the day.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We loved this place! The only trouble we had was my husband always wears shorts and some of the restaurants required long pants. We had the couples massage and loved it. We also did the formal portraits which will be a keepsake for the rest of our lives. I don't recommend leaving the resort, too depressing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Works on the beach and says if you are on the beach when he works on the beach, you are his family, and he treats you like family. Always asked what we wanted and if we wanted anything and by the 2nd day he would know what we drank and ate without asking. He would just bring us our favorites to drink. Always had a smile and would join in conversation if prompted and remembered previous convo. He truly made my honeymoon that much harder to leave. Everyone was amazing but that place is something special with people like Joaquin there. If you are going, make sure you look for him on the beach and make friends with him, your trip will be better for it. Food, service, amenities second to none as everyone else said. I will definitely be back

• Stayed June 2013
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Before I start my review, I want to first thank everyone who contributed their thoughts and opinions on this site as they really helped me and my wife to decide on the Excellence. Okay, here it goes…

Details:
Went on honeymoon from 6/10-6/21

Arrival:
Flew into open air airport with no issues. Had the $10 to enter which is not a problem. Guys will try and help with bags and you should let them because all you need to do is throw them a few bucks for their trouble. Worth it in my opinion. Drove from the airport to the resort in van with a few other couples. It was a little sketchy but not as bad as people make it out to be. The land is just not developed like the US so you should expect it to be different.

Got to resort after in about an hour and were greeted with champagne and cool towels. Very nice.

Check in was pretty effortless and we were brought to our swim up room. Didn’t need to show any proof of marriage, etc.

Room:
I really liked our room. We were in front of the smaller cascade pool which was nice…even though we spent most of our time at the main pool. Either way, it was a nice setting. Cleanliness, set up, all was good. My only issue was that we did not have the fruit in our room and the fridge was off so we had to wait for our mini-bar beverages to cool. In my opinion, these were small things. If I saw it sooner, I could have just told the attendant about the fruit and it would have been their in no time. A/C in room was good and features like the sink and shower were nice when getting ready at night.

Restaurants:
We tried all of them for dinner except for Barcelona and Toscana. Even as a picky eater, I was impressed. I think my favorites were the Grill and Spice. Keep in mind, this is an all-inclusive so there are not going to be huge menus! Either way, the food is good.

I also loved the pizzas, burgers, and other grill-type foods at Las Olas during the afternoon! They were great. Also, breakfast buffet at Toscana is the BEST!

Beach:
Very close to the pool. Sand is clean and soft. Initially, I thought the water was a little cool, but it really is nice once you get in. Many people talk about the red flags—don’t worry, you can still go in the water…and I actually preferred the waves for boogie boarding.

Activities/Entertainment:
Went to on-site spa which is top knotch. Also, did horseback riding and went to shows at night. Definitely a good time. The Allegria night club on site is also good if you want to dance. Shows were good too! Went to Michael Jackson twice. Just a nice activity in the evenings.

I receommend taking advantage of the gym (top knotch) and sports facilities. A cheap and easy thing to do with your spouse to enjoy the time.

We had one person ask us to do an excursion but we eventually opted out—so glad we did as the resort offers plenty to do at no charge!

Staff:
The staff is by far the best part of the resort. I promise that these folks will become your friends if you let them. Shout outs to Omar, Hector, Robert, Radhames, Ivelisse, Dionel, Amado at the bars—they worked so hard, smiled, and treated us like family. Also, thanks to Jonathan, Miguel, Luz, Marlon, and the rest of the entertainment crew—they were always positive and fun and made you have a great time.

Other comments:
Bring 1s and 5s to tip the staff—trust me, they deserve it and it goes a long way. No matter where you sit (beach, pool), there is someone there to bring you drinks and food every so often. If you are particularly thirsty, then you can make the short walk or swim to one of the many bars. How can you beat it? I was worried about the bugs and we did get a few bites but not enough to ruin the trip—how could it, we were on vacation! Appreciated the daily agenda placed in our room each night. Also, liked the plethora of access to bars, beach chairs, pool chairs, and restaurant availability at night.

Overall:
We had a great experience at Excellence. One of the few places I would say that I want to return to in the future. There were a few minor issues here and there (i.e. the safe), but the staff takes care of it and you are good to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!