“Could Not Have Been Better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #11 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Could Not Have Been Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my second stay at this resort, and I will come back again, and again, and again. I highly recommend it to anyone (especially any couple) who is looking for a peaceful place to rest, a serene and romantic (couples) environment, and just a place to relax, unwind and free your mind. The resort is clean, the food is delicious, the service is above standard, and the location is an absolute paradise. Even when I had an issue, it was resolved right away, without a fuss...I got a smile and "no problem." We were told on more than one occasion, and by more than one person that when we are at Excellence, we are home. I'd like to extend a special thank you to Tito, Miquel Angel, Kassandra, Kendall, Jonathan, Ramon and Juan, for going out of their way to show us a good time. Yes, I will be back - no doubt about it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

8,156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,766)
  • Korean first
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I went to celebrate my wife's birthday and after many years of going to family resorts with our kids (we do love our kids!) we wanted to go somewhere quieter and more intimate for us to enjoy. My wife found the place on line, and it was a real winner. We got direct flights, and found the airport at Punta Cana to be quite the experience. We had about an hours drive by Blue, the transport company run by Expedia, and went through some very interesting side streets and townships. For me I would only recommend venturing outside the location with official tours. We for our part, stayed on the resort for our break.
The resort is smaller than other all inclusive vacations we have been on, and this turned out to be perfect. Everywhere from the lobby and the restaurants to the rooms and pools and finally the beach, were clean, tidy and well maintained. We did not have far to walk to get anywhere, and there was always room at the bar, for lunch or dinner, by the pool and on the beach. The staff were always polite and friendly and could not do enough for you, they worked very hard in every aspect, and managed the language barriers well.
The room was excellent, large, spacious, with an electronic safe, and fully stocked mini-bar with beer, wine, Tequila, Vodka, and Gin. Not household names, but not terrible unless you are a real connoisseur! A sunken whirlpool bath, double sink and huge separate shower. A huge bed and cable tv to the room, as well as wifi available across the resort (even on the beach!) added to the very positive experience.
Food quality was good and there was plenty to go around, freshly cooked, and well presented.
Beach was very large for the size of the resort, I will tell you that the sea is rough, and the staff are not keen to see you more than paddling in the water.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough, a great place to relax and enjoy a break with someone close to you. For the complainers out there, of course you can always find something wrong if you think about it hard enough, but that would be harsh on a wonderful experience that can be had if you go with the right person and for a reasonably quiet break from the hassle of modern work life!

Room Tip: they will offer a room upgrade in our case $70 per couple, per night, but the normal room we had was...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Spent a week at Excellence Punta Cana and are already looking forward to a return trip. The facilities and rooms are very nice, the food was prepared extremely well, and the service we received was unparalleled to anywhere we've been before. They offer a variety of activities should you like to stay busy, but we spent our days lounging on the beach and enjoying the swim up pool bar. The animations staff (entertainment) was extremely friendly, and a special shout out to Richard Dean Anderson in particular for making our stay extra special.

All in all, a great trip, and I'd recommend the resort to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed April 2013
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I visited Excellence Punta Cana last September for our honeymoon and it was a wonderful stay!! The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous and we were constantly amazed at the beauty and friendly staff. The rooms were very nice as well and looked newly renovated. We had a swim up room in building 10 and loved how convenient it was and enjoyed our own little private back yard and hammock to enjoy late afternoon naps on.

The food is okay, nothing to write home about as we've heard are most all-inclusive resorts. Most of the time you can find something to fill you up. Our favorite restaurants were Spice and Chez Isabelle. Lunch was the hardest to find a good meal that wasn't all fried food or junk. You don't have to make reservations which is nice like some other places I heard about. You also get room service whenever you want, though we didn't take advantage as much as we should have of it. It is unlimited all you can drink and our favorite was the Excellence Martini - definitely try one of those!

Only down side we found is it's an hour from the airport, so it's kinda pricey to get out there (we took a taxi) and it's on the Atlantic side, so the 'red flags' we're out on the beach the entire time we were there, which meant you couldn't go into the ocean past your waist, so it was a little disappointing we couldn't go swim and snorkel like we had hoped. Otherwise, it's very clean, awesome ambiance, and great nightly shows too!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Excellence Club Junior Swim-up Suite Ocean View. There actually wasn't a '...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon as well as to spend time with our friends, April 21st-26th. If I could give it 3.5 stars I would, as it was above average but not quite very good. We are seasoned travelers but this was a first time to Punta Cana.

Check In & Rooms:

After the long trip we were greeted with champagne and the bellman took our luggage for us. Check in was our first disappointment, they told us we would have 2 double beds instead of a king. I reminded them this was our honeymoon and even offered to show my marriage license. They said we could move to a king bed room the next day. The one good thing though, NO WRIST BANDS!

I couldn't have been happier to get out of our first room. It was in one of the buildings that had a pond view and the room on the bottom floor. Our room had a ton of bugs, since they can crawl right in under the door. And forget going outside on the hammock, the mosquitoes were terrible!

The next day came and we were pretty much kicked out of our room at noon only to find out our new room wouldn't be available until 4pm. This meant I had to carry all of our important documents and belongings in my purse to the pool, as I do not trust these things in checked baggage. This meant another uncomfortable day until our room was ready. However, to our surprise the room was ready a little early around 2:30pm and this room was much better! We didn't have the special honeymoon decorations other people had, but it was no big deal. The new room was on the top of the 2nd building with a pool view. It had a high ceiling, a balcony, and best of all no bugs!

All of the bathrooms have a glass window where you can be seen going to the bathroom or showering. There is no way to fix being seen in the shower, but this did not bother me. As for going to the bathroom, I just threw my robe over the shower glass, and the view was blocked. This room and the previous also had a large Jacuzzi tub, but due to being old they looked dirty and we did not use them. The mini bar had an airplane sized white wine, light and regular beers, a variety of sodas, and water. Above the mini bar were full sized bottles of Jim Beam, Stoli, red wine, and 2 other liquors I can't recall. The snacks are peanuts, crackers, and Oreos. We also had a coffee machine.

Let me make a special note about the beds: THEY ARE HARD AS A ROCK! Have a few shots of Mamajuana before bed, especially if you are a side sleeper!

Food:

We ate at all of the restaurants and enjoyed our food. The best were the French, Asian, and Lobster restaurants. I saw in other reviews many people didn't like the Lobster restaurant but I guess we just hit it on a good night, because it may have been my favorite!

The service was amazing at all the restaurants and we tipped accordingly, they truly deserved it. Also, there are no reservations and we only had to wait once for a table our whole trip. When you have to wait they give you a buzzer, so you can enjoy your time somewhere else until your table is ready.

I loved how you can order take out from any other restaurants any time of the day or night as long as they are open. You can also order room service, which we did 3 times, but it was honestly not the greatest. For a late night snack we grabbed pizza to go from Oregano since they were open till 2am.

Drinks:

My husband and I like to get our money's worth of booze while on vacation, and this place was great for that! The bar service was excellent and the waiter service was good! We usually tipped, but the staff did not make us feel obligated like some all-inclusives we have been to.

Make sure you order a Coco Loco, it's in a real coconut! I also heard they will put any drink you want in a coconut! The Pina Coladas have real pineapple chunks and the banana drinks are made with real bananas! They make a mean Rum Runner if you ask them to make it from scratch, no mix. The wine and champagne were very good. I also loved that you could order light beer and some people even had bottles of Coors Lite they got from one of the bars. Don't forget your Mamajuana before bed!

Activities/Entertainment:

During the day they have a lot of activities but I can’t comment on them, we just hung out by the pool all day. The staff does not pressure you into activities, but there are a few outside companies that try hard to sell you their excursions.

Though it’s not necessary an activity, I must mention that the gym is very nice! They have a lot of equipment and it is all clean and new looking. I can’t comment on the spa, but I heard good things from another couple.

In the evening the place to be is the Martini Bar or the long bar behind it. The Martini bar makes the best espresso martini I have ever had! Plus these bars are right beside the nightly entertainment.

We saw 2 shows during our time there, one was good and the other was amazing! The one we enjoyed was similar to a Cirque show.

For late night head to the disco, after a few drinks it was FUN and we danced a lot! They play good music. Some nights were more happening than others, it just depends on how many people are there.
And for late late night the casino bar is open, but it's nothing special. The casino is open from 7pm-2am but we didn’t spend much time there. We would rather do our gambling in places where you get free rooms, like Vegas. They have maybe 20 slot machines and about 6-8 tables. Make sure if you are playing slots you play out to the dollar, they do not give you coins! They kept my 75 cents without the option to play it once I hit cash out!

Pool/Beach:

We didn’t spend a lot of time on the beach, but it was beautiful and there were plenty of places to sit. The pool also had plenty of chairs, we usually sat near the swim up bar, and really enjoyed it. The pool is very clean and a great temperature. The towels were softer than the ones in our room, and we really liked that we didn’t have to sign them out, or use a towel card.

In Conclusion:

If this was our first time to an all-inclusive I think we would have been blown away, however over the years we have unfortunately gotten a little picky. The major negative was the dated rooms, and hard beds. Other than that, everything else that I could complain about is normal things you encounter while on a resort. Though the positives greatly outweigh the negatives I can honestly say the next time we go to the Dominican Republic we would like to try another resort. With that said, I would still recommend Excellence to anyone coming to the area...so long as you're coming with your significant other, it's not a singles place!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor to avoid bugs!
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I flew here from a few days doing the Disney thing with my nieces, and met my other half where we spent 6 wonderful days sipping cocktails and doing nothing. The food was great. The staff were fantastic. The room was beautiful. I just booked another visit as a surprise for my partner and I have no doubt we will have a great time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bear, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

As stated in the title this is our 3rd visit to Excellence Punta Cana. The resort is getting better with each visit. Excellence still has beautiful gardens, pools, beaches and rooms. And the staff are beautiful, graceful, helpful and very friendly as well.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary at the resort by renewing our vowels on the beach, I can't think of any better place to have it. Elizabeth (wedding coordinator) has a special gift when it comes to planning wedding events. If you want to have your wedding in paradise, contact her. She is the best. She loves her job, her attention to detail was very impressive. She made us feel at ease after talking with her. She handled everything.

Shout out to Juan (at the pool, serving us snacks and drinks). Franklin, Pedro, Benjamin at the pool bar.. They will make any drink for you, even if it is not on the drink menu.

The whole staff at the reception desk bends over backwards to cater to your every need. And they do it with a smile. The senoritas who clean the rooms do an excellent job. Kudos.

The restaurant staff are very courteous and attends to every request.
Yoel @ Chez is the best and his sidekick Antonio (Banderous) is awesome.
I won't go over the food details, it is good, they never claim to be 5 star, so stop complaining.
Chez Isabelle is the best.. hands down.

The beach and ocean are awesome. Strong undertow, it is not like Western Fl or Mex. But I love it like that. You can hear the waves breaking from our room every night. OMG. that was awesome. I miss it already.

The Shows.. Michael Jackson, Couples show and the circus were ok.. Circus out-did all the other shows. The sax player in the lobby (few nights a week) is awesome. It's night entertainment, not Hollywood, Vegas or NYC.. nor do they claim or try to be.. You can tell, they work hard and want to please the audience. It works.

Drive to and from? 50 min ride, loco drivers.. hold on. enough said.. LOL.

Airport- $10 dollars to enter the country, and it is random on who they choose to charge to leave the country $20.. strange. FYI TIP- Fill out all your customs papers prior to entering DR and prior to returning back in the US. It will save you a headache.

Special shout out to Miguel, he is very energetic, friendly and (again) loves his job and does it well.. Whether it is teaching dance lessons, aerobics in the pool and other games at the pool. He made the trip very enjoyable. Excellence is very lucky to have him on their staff. He is now called "friend" and we will never forget him. Our family loved him.

So over all, are there better resorts? Resorts with better food? I am sure there is, but when you weigh that against the great, friendly staff of Excellence Punta Cana, there is no other place I would rather be.

Chuck & Missy
DE

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have the same set-up. Beautiful. Bldg 6 (poolside) has outdoor entertainment..(p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!