“Muy excellente!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Muy excellente!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I would have given it 5 stars, but the food was not excellent. It was good to very good. Our party was 2 couples, we got back last night. I will try and take my time and give an accurate review, I know I read a lot of reviews before we went. We were 5 days there, our 1st time at this resort. I will start out by saying it is worth every penny to secure a private taxi from the airport to resort and back. The hotel concierge will be happy to arrange it for you well in advance of your arrival. Our driver Ramon was waiting with a sign as soon as we walked out of the airport. (70 US each way, we tipped 10 each way) about 55 mins to hotel. Champagne, cold towel waiting when you get out of taxi, someone greets you and takes your bags. The place is immaculate. We arrived about 1:45 and our rooms were not ready, the front desk said to have lunch or drinks and come back. We did and rooms were ready. We had junior swim up suites and they were fabulous. Neat and clean and spacious with private patio areas. 10 feet from pool with swim up bar. The staff is awesome, (friendly, helpful, neat, clean and eager to please) do bring singles for tipping and you will treated like kings and queens! The drinks are plentiful and everywhere. We never had trouble waiting to eat, we tried all restaurants while there except Barcelona. We liked the grill, spice, agave, and lunch on the beach the best. There are 8 bars if I am counting right. The pools are endless and crystal clear (only 1 swim up bar though) the beach was never overcrowded or really even crowded, the pools either plenty of chairs, beds and towels. There were weddings there and honeymooners and people from all over celebrating anniversaries or nothing at all. It is a wonderful place if you like the beach, sun, pools, drinks, relaxing, active, etc... There really is something for everyone. There was 1 minor blip and I had read this too before we left, the power blinked out twice one day there. It was brief, maybe 10 minutes. Did not affect us at all. Beach and pool volleyball is a great time also. The food like I said, not excellent. We had the breakfast buffet every morning ( don't eat the sausage) it was ok. Typical stuff with omelet station, lunch at beach or room service or grill was the best. And dinners were good to very good. That's it. Excellence did live up to its name, really wanted to give 5 stars. Would give 4.5 because the food could have been better, but its not bad!! To all the negative reviewers, I don't know where you stayed!! One more thing do allow a minimum of 1.5 hours at airport to leave the country, there was a couple there that tried to cut it to close and missed there flight. Listen to concierge about when to leave (I wanted to cut it closer too, glad I didn't) we got picked up 3 hours before flight time and had about a half hour to 45 minutes to spare. And you need a good driver. Hope this helped.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,041)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I am just getting back from a recent long weekend at the Excellence Punta Cana, and I simply could not have been less satisfied. We chose this resort based, in large part, on it's stellar reviews on TripAdvisor. I have no idea what the 5,000 "excellent" ratings could possibly have been based upon. The food was atrocious, and the facilities are in desperate need of some serious TLC. Mildew on the walls and ceilings, loose boards on the boardwalks, just everything. There was nothing upscale about this place. The beach and pool were nice, and I did have a very good deep tissue massage at the spa (after a terrible pedicure experience the previous day). All in all, I would never recommend this resort to anyone. Beware of all the fantastic reviews.

• Stayed March 2013
Baiting Hollow, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our three vacations in Punta Cana were great. This year there will be twelve of us. Last year we were fortunate enough to be in the Excellence club & found that to be wonderful. We were three couples last year, this year we are six couples. We look forward to seeing Nicolas, Roberto, Ramon, Juan Carlos, Yohanna & the rest of the enterainment team. Last year Ramon arranged our dinners & all of our activities. Horseback riding, shows, dancing, dinner on the beach & the shows on the beach & wonderful entertainment. We did most of the activities last year, & we will do the same & more this year. April 2 2013 is a day we are looking forward to.

Room Tip: Last year we were on the third floor. The scenery was good & the room service is always excellen...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at Excellence. This place was amazing! The resort and grounds were both beautiful and clean. The service was top notch! I can't say enough good things about the employees at this resort - they really focused on service and seemed to be genuinely concerned with making your stay enjoyable.

We did not spring for the excellence club, so I can't speak to that; however, we were extremely impressed with the standard accommodations. We stayed in room 3106, which was a junior suite with an ocean view.

We ate at Toscana, The Grill, Spice, Oregano and The Lobster House. All were good with excellent service. Our favorite was Spice. I'm a vegetarian; my husband is not and really wanted to try The Lobster House. Although they didn't have anything vegetarian on their menu, they walked next door to Toscana and brought me a pasta dish. I thought this was very nice. My husband did say he felt the lobster was slightly overcooked, but overall it was a nice dinner. As others have mentioned, if you're not expecting five star restaurants, you won't be disappointed.

The one thing that we didn't care for was the number of "vendors" that approached us our first day at the resort. We had only been there for about an hour or so and we'd already been hit up by three different guys trying to sign us up for different activities/excursions. We quickly learned that if we just told them upfront we were not interested in anything they wouldn't continue to pester us, but it was off-putting to even have to deal with it in the first place. They have stations at the resort that you can go to if you want to sign up for something like that. Additionally, if you walk down the beach in either direction from the resort, you'll be approached by other vendors. Initially, they'll be what could be considered aggressive (coming out into the water where you are) but much like the guys at the resort, if you just tell them you're not interested they'll leave you alone.

Swimming in the ocean is possible at the resort, you just have to be careful. They had lifeguards on duty every day we were there and they were actually paying attention to people in the water. They'd whistle people back in when they went out too far or if the water was too rough.

I was completely impressed with Excellence and will keep them in mind when traveling to other destinations.

timmins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Although the resort was top shelf so to speak, we were annoyed that many of the alcoholic drinks we ordered from the beach by waiter had none in them. If we went up to the pool bars to get a drink ourselves it was fine. The other downside was the 1 hour un-airconditioned ride from the airport to the resort. The 2hour ride back was bearable with airconditioning but here AirCanada Vacations is the culprit for not starting to pick up passengers at the furthest resort (ours) earlier and on time. The heavy traffic was no excuse. Other than that the food was excellent, the place very clean, all the workers were very friendly and helpfull. The Valintines Day evening special dinner they had outside and around the pool was fantastic the food the decorations, everything.There was a higher quality of wine and liquor was served at this resort compared to the other two we have been to in Punta Cana, which was much appreciated.
All in all our best experience yet for the Dominian

Room Tip: They were all good, although the rooms behind the main hall were a bit far from the beach, if you ar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I came here on our honeymoon. From the moment we entered the resort grounds to the very last goodbye, we were absolutely amazed at how wonderful the service was. We were treated so kindly and courteously. The staff was attentive and quick to attend any of our needs at any time. The resort is beautiful!!!! Nothing is too far from anything and yet everything just feels so perfectly spaced out. We loved the grandeur of all the lobby's and rooms, and the over-sized furniture. All of the lobby chairs, pool side beds, and restaurant seats were comfortable, clean and again large.

We stayed in a master suite. WOW! It was PERFECT! Rustic finishing on the bed, dresser and bureaus. The bed was big and comfy! The mini bar had great selections and the natural light that came from the the sliding windows was the best. The view of the mountains and also of the pool were dreamy! The room service and turn down service was always excellent.

We loved the giant and super clean pool! They cleaned it every few hours of leaves, flower petals and flies, even thought there were usually very very little of any. People rarely used the pool while we were there so my husband and I almost always had it to ourselves to swim and joke around.

The breakfast at TUSCANA is THE BOMB!!!!! We ate there everyday and it was the highlight of our daily cuisine. Our favorite food experiences were at Chez Isabella, Barcelona and then at the Dominican Dinner on the beach.

I highly recommend the Coco Loco, a carved out coconut drink that can be served with just the coconut water and ice or with coconut water, rum and ice. We also had a blast with the merengue and salsa instructors (Johanna and the tall guy). The bingo leader and the bartenders were also charming and sweet. I had no bad experiences with others staying at the resort, as far as I saw, everyone was friendly, chill and considerate to those around them. We loved not having to be around rowdy teenagers or party animals. Everyone was just enjoying the wonderful weather and quality time with who ever they came with.

We also went horseback riding and while we would have liked a little more direction on what to expect with the horses (they bunch all together and were squeezing our legs to all get in front of one another at first) it was absolutely an extraordinary experience to ride along the beautiful and wild coast line.

Overall, I am immensely blessed to have been taken here for my honeymoon (my husband is the best). I was so sad when we were looking for a place to go, because no matter how snazzy the resort, I didn't fine anything that was as simplistic, beautiful and well put together as I was looking for. The Excellence Resort ended up having everything we wanted. The rooms, food, environment, staff, everything was like a dream. I am so thankful to God and to the wonderful team there who blessed us with an EXCELLENT HONEYMOON.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The master suite is spacious and quiet.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I just returned on March 16 after spending a very romantic week at the resort. We stayed at Excellence Riviera Maya in 2012 and 2011. The seclusion of the resort and the beach put this resort at the top of our list.

The beach is absolutely beautiful and clean from weeds. We never had a problem finding a palapa. We walked at least 30 minutes in either direction before we came across another resort.
The water was rough throughout the week and the lifeguards would keep people from going in too far.

All of our meals were excellent, even the beach grill at lunch time. Adan at the Lobster Grill made our evening vey special. He spread rose petals on the table and selected our meal for us. We were not disappointed. I also want to mention Arajujo in the The Grill who did a great job. We also enjoyed the live music before and after supper. Roman in the martini bar was great and knew exactly what we were drinking by the end of the week. The last martini was as good as the first. The staff working in the resort are very friendly and make this place special.

All in all this resort is EXCELLENTE! We will be back next year. We strongly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is quieter. The sun sets facing building 4 overlooking the cascade pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!