In my opinion, people only write a review if they are very pleased or very disappointed with a hotel.
On arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne, which was most welcome after a 11 hour trip from the UK.
Our first impression on arrival was wow and when we were shown to our room 12203 it was wow again. I had done my homework before booking the hotel and followed tips on Trip advisor to ask for a top floor room. I emailed the hotel in advance and requested this and a sea view, unfortunately we did not get the sea view but we were not disappointed.
If you have never ridden a horse, you must do the free half hour ride along the beach. The horses are very tame and it is amazing riding in and out of the sea, although wear log trousers, as I was wearing shorts and badly bruised my ankle as the stirrup was rubbing.
Beware of the shop on the left as you look out to sea. If you walk along the beach to the left they pester you to go in and have a look and the more mature gentleman inside the shop gets really nasty if you do not buy anything.
The staff at the hotel aim to please, so if you have a problem it is best to inform reception as they will sort it straight away.
We enjoyed drinking a glass of wine in the evening on our balcony before dinner so we asked if we could have a full size bottle of white wine on several occasions and this was brought to our room in an ice bucket.
I was worried after reading numerous reviews that the food was not very good. We thought the choice of food for breakfast and lunch was excellent but we were very disappointed with the menus in the evening restaurants and we felt that there should be two menus over a two week period. If you like a particular restaurant and you are staying for more than a week you need more choice on the menu. We loved Spice and out of a 11 night stay we ate at this Restaurant 8 times. The only Restaurants we used were Spice, French and Oregano.
I must mention the B-B-Q spare ribs at the beach grill at lunchtime, Excellent!
My only compliant about this hotel is that you need to reserve a bed before 7am if you want to sit by the pool. I would suggest that the management introduce a rule of no reserving sunbeds before 9am unless they are being used. All towels and belongings should be removed if beds not being used. We witnessed 3 mature guests saving 3 sunbeds which they reserved with items of clothing and they did not use the beds all day. We presume they must have decided to sit on the beach and keep their options open. This was very annoying when you could see people looking for beds. Please Excellence take this on board!
We did not do the Excellence Club and one thing we did notice that the reserved area on the beach the beds were very close together so you are better off using other areas of the beach with more room.
Also we watched the Michael Jackson show and were very disappointed when the parade of flags came on stage there was not a Union Jack, nor is there a Union Jack flying at the entrance. It is a 11 hour flight from the UK and this would be a nice touch as I noticed other hotels were actually flying our flag!
The hotel is in a lovely location, the staff are wonderful, it would be great to hear that the food had improved and then yes I would definitely stay at this hotel again!
Thank you Excellence for a wonderful relaxing holiday!
- Also Known As:
- Punta Cana Excellence
- Secrets Excellence
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Secret Excellence
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Excellence Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Excellence Group LLC, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.