We were at Secrets from December 25 - 30. It was wonderful! The only reason I'm not giving this resort top ratings is because the food was only fair. There were plenty of choices and the presentation of it was beautiful, but no matter which of the restaurants we ate at, we never once ate a meal that was great. There is 24-hour room service in your all-inclusive package, and that food wasn't very good either.
Otherwise, Secrets was Paradise. HERE'S A HUGE TIP: The day before we left for our trip my husband called on a whim just to see if we could get our room upgraded to an Excellence Suite, since another reviewer on this site said those rooms are so much more beautiful. They said they were booked to capacity but they'd try. Well, they kept their word.
When we checked in they told us that we'd been upgraded per our request for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. It was so worth it! The suite was spectacular and all it took was one phone call. Speaking of the rooms, all the rooms have a mini bar. The mini bar is behind a cabinet door. There is a bottle opener attached to the inside of this cabinet door next to the hinges. If you don't know it's there, you probably won't see it and you'll think you can't open any bottles in your mini-bar. We brought bug spray as the reviews said we should. We were glad we did! There are mosquitoes and you will get bitten a little whether you have bug spray or not. But you'll get bitten less if you have the bug spray. To buy it there is $15 a bottle, so bring it from home (something containing DEET). The place isn't infested with mosquitoes by any means. Use common sense: It's a warm climate surrounded by water. The bites were no more than you'd get at the beach in the United States in the summer.
As for ants and roaches, as one reviewer wrote, I never saw a single one. People seemed to dress up every night and it left me wishing I'd brought a couple more sundresses. Men wore polos, shorts, and pants.
(Always so easy for them!) But most importantly, this was my 7th time to the Caribbean and I've never seen a resort nearly as beautiful as Secrets. It was breathtaking is all I can say. We were sad to come home. I've never seen a more beautiful place in my life. One more thing I'd like to throw out there: Yes, this is an all-inclusive resort. But one waiter told someone we met there that he only makes $300 US dollars a month. They are dirt poor, which you can clearly see on your bumpy bus ride as you pass people's homes. And they are so happy to accommodate you and treat you like royalty. Although gratuity is included in your package, bring a little stash of $1s with you. Every time you hand someone a dollar or two, you're handing them what they see as a lot of money. Enjoy yourself; it's a wonderful vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Excellence Group LLC, Amex, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence