“Great all inclusive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 15% Off room rate
Ranked #10 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Great all inclusive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went with my boyfriend and we bought a VIP pass. We where greated with champagne when we arrived which was a nice touch! We had a great room, big and spacious with a Jacuzzi.
The breakfast buffet was great, the best meal of the day. The rest of the food was just soso, but you don't need a reservation at any of the restaurants which is nice. Great beach, great pool areas. Would definately come back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

8,252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,807)
  • Korean first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is now our second trip to Excellence Punta Cana and we didnt think it would be possible to beat last year but they have done it once again, and it was BETTER this time. The place is pure luxury but it is the people that make this trip what it is. Some of the staff are amazing and go above and beyond their jobs.

Make sure to visit Vidal at the cascade pool, he remembered us from last year and really looked after us whilst we were at the pool, whilst having a laugh and a joke, and the level of service he gives really is beyond his job.

Also a special mention to Carlos Tomas at Agave, who really looked after us, espcially when we had a poor meal and an even poorer experience at The Grill (service there was shockingly bad in the evenings), he set us up a romantic meal in the courtyard for the following evening and even bought us ice cream outside one night. He really did everything he could to make up for the poor experience at The Grill, even though it was nothing to do with him or the restaurant he worked in.

Oregano has improved 100% on last year, the food was really nice and the service from Jhonny Alburquerque and Mavtin Valdez in particular was amazing, between them made the evenings at the pizzeria really enjoyable.

The only one bad thing about this whole trip was The Grill, which is a shame because last year it was amazing, but this year the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful, and the chef wouldnt even cook us what we wanted!

The rooms are really nice and clean, the pools are well looked after, the whole hotel is just another world but yet it felt like home for the two weeks we were there. If you encounter any problems at all see Roberto at Guest Services, he will do everything and anything to solve your problems, make sure you are happy and everything is good, he really really looks after you and cares about your happiness whilst there. He is a credit to the hotel.

Also if you visit make sure to find Rosemary, Frank and Samil at breakfast who will help put a smile on your face from the start of the day. In the day visit Jose at the beach bar. At night visit Moya at Stars and Ramon at Martini who will both look after you and have a laugh with you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Timmins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our first time at this resort and it was all we expected and more. The staff was amazing and very polite. Checked out the reviews prior to the visit and most were accurate..

The room we had was well maintained and very clean. We stayed in building 6 and it was close to everything as well as being quiet. The food was very good and more than enough options for the picky people..

The only bad experience I had was the excursion I took with the four wheeler !!!

The resort obviously supports this Company " Rancho El Differente " as they constantly stalk the resort looking for their next prey.

I met at the pool bar at 9am with two other couples and our guide, we were then taken to the four wheelers and a dune buggy.
The guide then briefed us on safety and I quote " if your machine breaks down don't freak out as you people say, @#$% happens" .I have a safety background and am very vigilant when it comes to safety. I was then directed by the guide to do a loop around the area to check out the bike, I did and discovered that the rear brakes barely worked and the front brakes did not work. At this point I should have done my due dilegence and backed out but I was adventurous and possibly stupid..

Well murphy's law was always present ! We headed out with the dune buggy in the lead and within the first 10 minutes it broke down. Apparently the chain was too lose... repaired and we headed out once again. I was enjoying the beatiful scenery as we passed through the rice fields when I smelled a peculiar odour, looking down I discovered smoke was billowing from between my legs and then the bike came to an abrupt halt and died. After getting the attention of the guide he returned and had to call for a mechanic. The solenoid was burnt !

After about a half hour we all got back together and headed out. The country is very nice but the roads are horrible and with no suspension to speak of, it made for a rough ride. The dune buggy broke down again on our way to the cave. When we got to the cave there was a puppy at the entrance that was convulsing and then it died...

I could go on and on but there is too much to mention.. trip and scenery was nice but that's it..
We broke down twice more on the return trip.. Ranch El Differente lived up to it's name and I strongly advise you to stay away from the bikes and buggies. The horseback riding was nice but there are no parts to replace or change on a horse.

We have traveled to many resorts and I rank this as one of the best and we will definately be back.

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We just returned from a week at Excellence and loved it! This is the fourth resort that we have stayed in Punta Cana and found it to be the best. Excellence is much more laid back and relaxed than other hotels starting with the traditional Taino themed decor. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a glass of champagne and "welcome home". The service was great, the staff was friendly and courteous. The staff was always available and willing to help whenever you needed them but the atmosphere was very relaxed. The entertainment,lead by Julio,was excelente! The beach was very pretty, clean and private. There were sections that had lots of waves and others that had calmer water.
Special thanks to Arismendis, Victoria, Domingo, Robert, Jose, Ewwen, Roxana and Reynaldo for making our stay at the hotel even more enjoyable.
Looking forward to returning soon!
Luz and Mike

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for our 20th anniversary. We stayed at the Excellence Resort, an adults only all-inclusive property. Wow. Just loved it! From the moment we stepped out of the van that transported us from the airport (where we received a glass of champagne, a cooled cloth for our necks and a friendly "Welcome Home!!"), until the sad day we left, we were treated like royalty. Where to begin? The service everywhere was impeccable. They were eager to please and accommodated special requests. The food in the restaurants that we went to was awesome- especially loved Spice (Pan-Asian cuisine), Chez Isabelle (French), and The Grill (which is anything but your basic American Grill type place- the steaks there were PHENOMENAL!). All beverages (including alcohol) are included, as well.
They have an optional "Excellence Club", which we paid the few extra dollars for. Included in that is access to a special lounge where you can sign out iPads (for use in the lounge), get yummy special snacks all day long, watch TV, have a drink. You are also provided top shelf liquor in your room, and a never- empty mini bar. When we arrived in the room, there was a bottle of champagne ready to be chilled waiting for us. We also had access to a special area of the beach, with it's own concierge. Less crowded, more beach beds. Loved it. Worth the extra few dollars, in my opinion.
The room we stayed in was called the Junior Swim-Up Suite. We were able to walk out of our ground floor room and jump right in the Excellence Club only pool. We also had a bar within a one minute walk from our door. There is also a swim-up bar further down the pool from where we stayed. But back to our room. Wonderful jacuzzi bathtub (they even provide incense for the right atmosphere), and a shower with an awesome ceiling mounted shower head that provided a nice "rain-like" shower (there was also a hand held shower head). It did seem, however, that housekeeping came rather late in the day.
There are plenty of fun activities nearby, too, if you wish to add some adventure to your vacation. We went horseback riding on the beach, and we did a deep sea fishing trip, as well. There are tour group representatives off to one side of the lobby every day should you wish to book an excursion (I heard the zip-lining was incredible).
One thing you need to beware of: as in all resort areas, there are locals out to make a buck. Most are quite friendly, but they can be a little pushy. They will usually try to bargain with you not just for money, but for alcohol. They are well aware that alcohol is provided as part of the price you already paid. Do NOT give them bottles of alcohol out of your room. The Excellence is more than happy to replace a bottle that you drank, but if they don't find the empty one, you may be charged a pretty penny for it when you check out.
There are shows every night- some are a little cheesy, but the "circus" show we caught one night (more of an acrobatic show) was amazing! There are plenty of places on the resort to visit and hang out at during the evening, or you may even want to schedule a dinner on the beach!
One thing everyone must do while there is take a stroll around the gardens. I was so impressed with the landscaping and all of the wildlife- beautiful birds (including flamingos!), turtles, we were even surprised by a chicken that came walking out from under a bush! The grounds are simply beautiful.
We visited in January, and the weather wasn't quite as perfect as we were hoping. We seemed to get more clouds than what they say is usual (a few days were clouds-sun-clouds-sun, we had one day of yucky-ness), but we did have a couple of gorgeous days toward the end of the week. Slacks aren't too much at night- it hovered in the mid 70's. During the day, low to mid 80's, depending on how much sun was around. I hear it is quite steamy in the summer, so I don't think I would go then. Perhaps a little later in the winter or early spring would be the best time.
My husband and I have decided not to wait another 20 years before returning! I hope this review is helpful to you, and I hope you enjoy your visit to the Excellence, Punta Cana!
By the way, I give only 4 circles for location, because it takes quite a while to get there from the airport. The beach is just as beautiful as anywhere, but it's a good hour from the airport, especially if your van has visitors to drop at other resorts (the Excellence is the furthest from the airport, so you are the last to be dropped off).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I had high expectations for staying at this resort but were unfortunately disappointed by the lack of good customer service. Upon the advise of our travel agent we upgraded our package to the Excellence Club (an extra $400). This was the biggest waste of money, well next to staying at this resort that is. The club was poorly staffed, the concierge and staff were rude and impolite, to get a top-shelf/premium cocktail (this was the only location that a premium drink could be acquired) took a good 20 minutes (this was when it was only my wife and I and one other couple in the club), pool-side service was non-existent, the food was bland and tasteless and if you tipped the servers for service they acted as if they weren't appreciative. We complained to the concierge which did us no good.

What's so frustrating is that this resort was roughly $600 more expensive then a much nicer resort in Playa del Carmen. If this resort would have been located in Playa it would have been a 3 star resort at best. Save your money and go to a resort in the Cancun area!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this resort!
Wamego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and we did a lot of research and reading before deciding on a resort. Our travel agent had received good reviews of Excellence resorts and most of the reviews we read were good so we chose to go there. We were not diasppointed. The pictures you see on their website are actually how the resort looks. Everything is very clean and in good condition. Even though we spent most of our time on the beach, the pool is amazing. We had requested building 14 as we read in reviews that it was a newer buidling with nicer rooms. We had a lovely, spacious room and it was very quiet, not usually something you find in a resort. We were the fartherest building away from the dining facilities but we didn't mind the walk. The resort had the friendliest people we have ever met. Everyone always had a smile and if you asked how they were they always answered, "Excellente." There is no problem with watered down drinks as we have found at other resorts. In fact, some of the drinks were too strong to my liking and you certainly couldn't drink all day without consequences! The food was just OK, as is most resort food. I'm sure it's quite hard to feed as many people as they do and try to please everyone. We certainly never went hungry. The breakfast and lunch buffet offered a great variety of food and was very good. We tried most of the restaurants, eating at the mexican restaurant twice. Be sure to bring long pants for the guys are they are pretty strict on dress code. As we had read, the beds are very hard but we asked for a pillow top and they put two on our bed which helped at least some. It wasn't a deal breaker for us by any means. All of the people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful and all of the bartenders, servers and other workers went out of their way to may our stay pleasurable. I would say this is the best resort we have stayed at in terms of how we were treated. We took the zip line tour and it was great. The drive up the mountain is very rough but the scenery is wonderful. Our tour guide gave us a lot of interesting history and information about the country and it was a great tour. The zip line requires a LOT of climbing and walking so be prepared. We did the 2 hour horse ride and it was fun but if you are not an experienced rider it can be a little frightening. The horses are a little stubborn and hard to control for a novice. The people in charge of the ride, however, were absolutely wonderful and made it fun for everyone. The water at the resort is very rough so there are no water sports available and you have to take a boat to a different area to snorkle or scuba dive. Again, this wasn't a huge thing for us but we weren't able to spend much time in the water because the waves were so powerful. We found good bargains on Larimar jewelry and cigars at the shops outside the resort and brought home some nice things. We did buy t-shirts and things like that at the resort gift shop because of the quality. Overall, we would go back to the Domincan Republic as we very much enjoyed the country and I would book with any of the Excellence resorts based on our experience at this one.

Room Tip: We requested to be in the newer section, buildings 11-14 and they were very nice. We were on the se...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!