“buyer beware!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
“buyer beware!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2003

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Secrets from 11/3-11/10/03.
Upon arrival, we were whisked away for our private check-in with the Excellence Club. We were shown to our room.. the wrong room. We explained to the woman who brought us to the room, that we paid for an ocean-view with a balcony not a pool-side with a patio. She said she'd speak with the front desk and return to us shortly. Well, two phone calls, one trip to the front desk and two hours later... we were finally moved into the correct room. In the mean time, we basically stood in the first room, afraid to "mess anything up". Our luggage arrived to us three hours after arriving.... We stocked that experience up to it's a busy resort, with a lot of people... no big deal. Until the next day. The food we found out was poison. We had one full day of "fun". Enjoying the beach and pool. We awoke the following day, deadly ill. Not too sure what we ate the previous day, but we were sick the entire honeymoon. Too sick to venture far from our room. Not the ideal way to spend a honeymoon. We did not eat another thing until we arrived back in the states. It took a trip to our family doctor and two antibiotics to feel better. Overall, it took two weeks to get whatever we had out of our system. We have never been so sick in our lives!!!!
Please be careful of everything you eat. It could be poor food handling.. not too sure. We will be going to Aruba within the next few months, to have a proper honeymoon. We were completely disappointed. We had looked forward to our honeymoon for so long... and it was a disaster.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,030)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2003

Just returned from Secrets Excellence.Everything was beautiful. Room service was excellent. Maid service was wonderful. Food was good, not great. Ocean was very rough, but warm. Entertainment was presented too late at night. I would go back there again for a relaxing week.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2003

We were there from 11/10 - 11/17.Our bus ride from the airport was 2hrs!!! We had to stop at several other resorts and drop people off...
Check in: room not ready..2hrs later it was ready (7pm)..we did get 2 free massages at the spa...2hr delay was worth it!!!!Food: good...not 5star...but close...go at 6:30/7---you will never have to wait..even at the French rest.Drinks: try the coco loco...banana mamaRoom" left $2 for the maid every day...room was spotless and she gave us extra beach towels.Mini bar: left $2 per day...always stocked..left kit kats and peanuts to snack on.Bugs:...never got bit...wife had 2 bites...Water: ...we drank water with dinner and used bottled water to brush our teeth...no problems..*****************Just relax...you are on vacation...dont expect the service to be super fast....however a $1 goes a long way...and yes...the people from NY and NJ hoard the rafts and take them back to their room....If you get up around 8am you can your choice of any lounge at the pool or beach....or do what I did...get up at 7...put 2 towels on chairs of my choice...go back to bed....after breakfast go back to "our chairs"....

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2003

My husband and I were getting a little worried reading some of the reviews before we left for Secrets Excellence....Well that changed when we got there. Yes, the shuttle from the airport is bumpy no doubt about that! But who cares your on vacation and your in a different country! When we got to the resort we were greated with champagne and a cold scented towel and already we had forgotten about the ride to the resort. Check in was like a breeze in the wind. We got to our room maybe 20 minutes after we got there. Our room was beautiful and the jucuzzi tub was fantastic! The next morning we signed up for the horseback ride again fantastic! I highly recommend it. I think the excitement will depend on the people you are riding with but my husband and I had a blast! I will also say if you have any kind of back problems you wouldn't want to do it. I cannot say enough about the staff. They are more than willing to make you happy! My husband and I would have champange for breakfast every morning and if our waiter saw we were getting close to being finished he would ask if we wanted more and if by some chance he was busy doing something and saw my husband get up to get more he would go after him and say he would get it. I speak absolutely no spanish and I had no problems. The bars are great as soon as your finished with one coctail they are right there asking if you would like another. The grounds are magnificent......Anyone who says they had an awful time are just people who cannot be pleased.....Our only downfall was the ocean. My husband and I like to get up early in the morning to look for seashells there were none. Plus we also like to go in the ocean and not feel like it's a job. Although, we did go in the ocean we like it a little less wavy. But as far as the resort we abosultey loved it!!!!!!! So anyone who's reading the horrible reviews keep in mind those people cannot be pleased.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2003

Secrets beat my expectations. Last year we went to Sandals Grande St Lucian for our honeymoon. This place doesn't come close in quality of food and service, but then again it was $1500 less and who can pass that up? My only major complaint that would keep me from visiting again was the rough ocean. I like to go to the carribean and swim and float around in the ocean. The waves would knock you down and the undercurrent was wicked. On the other hand, my husband loved it, so that is just my complaint. The beach and sand were fabulous! Soft and no prickly shells to bother your feet. Lots of shady grass huts to hide under. The pool was great.The food was average, about what I expected. I am in the food business, so I am picky. Believe me, I did not go hungry. There was always something yummy on the menu. The best restaurant was the French one, it was most like an upscale restaurant, but always crowded.The bartenders and cocktail waitresses where outstanding for an all-inclusive. I found the waiters in the restaurants to be rushed and somewhat rude (the females were always much nicer). Could have been the lanugue barrier, but I am not sure. Dont try to ask for something different (ex: no cheese on the sandwich, etc), they will just tell you no. Service was very slow when you first got to the restaurants and I would recommend you getting a cocktail or glass of wine before you are seated at the bar.Our room was not on the ocean as I thought it would be, but it was OK. Every other day they added more rose petals to our bathtub and bathroom sink. We had the Excellence Club, but I would not say its worth the money. The only great advantage I found was checking out in there instead of the busy front desk.We went on 2 tours Bavaro Splash (little speed boats) and Bavaro Runners (island tour). I recommend both!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2003

I just returned from a 5day 4 night trip to Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana and after reading all of the reviews, I was a little nervous. Yes, the bus ride from the airport is bumpy and long. However, as soon as you arrive, you are greeted with cool towels, champagne and a beautiful lobby that takes your cares away. I went with my husband and 8 other couples and we all had a wonderful time. The beach is beautiful but rough, the grounds of this place are magnificent and the people could not be nicer. Yes there is a language barrier but we got along fine. Yes, the food is not the greatest but it was good and there were plenty of choices and we were never hungry. We did not have a problem with the bugs but that might be because of the time of the year. So, I suggest going in the fall. There were plenty of bars around and they all served top shelf liquors, my friends wondered how they made any money. We were 18 people and we had a wonderful time. We all agreed that we would return. Please do not be afraid of the negative comments. The place is beautiful!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2003

We were there from October 12-26 and never left the resort. Can hardly wait to go back. The resort was all I could hope for. Our room was great and our king size bed so comfortable. The view of the ocean from our room was fantastic. The dancers and staff were so friendly.....can hardly wait to go back and see the Melkris, Christian and the other dancers that were so eager to teach us the dances. We had lots of fun is the disco as well where they taught us the spanish dances again.The nightly entertaniment was fantastic.The food was fantasic and the services in the restaurants outstanding. Had so much fun trying all the drinks at the bar. The pools were fantastic and the ocean water like bath water. We never left the resort although there was lots of trips you could go on . We wanted to just relax and not bother with any kids.
This being an adult resort it was a great place to just relax. Martha and Jim

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!