“The Best Hotel Stay Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Vancouver, Canada
“The Best Hotel Stay Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to Dominican Republic and was by far my best experience because of the Excellence Punta Cana. First and foremost, the staff are EXCEPTIONAL. My sister had been extremely ill requiring hospital stay for 3 days and 2 nights and the concierge staff including Roberto Puello, Yalinda, and others of whose names I unfortunately can't remember but whose faces I'll never forget, organized a free taxi ride for myself and my family, which was a cost of 120 dollars american as the hospital is 1 hour away, provided get well soon flowers for her and suggested use of an Ipad with movies, take away food from the hotel and so forth to make her feel comfortable. They also reimbursed my sister's taxi ride back from the hospital to the hotel-they truly made us feel at home and continuously followed up with us by leaving messages on our hotel room phone and in person. To add, I too was also sick-experienced an allergic reaction, and was able to get medical attention from the on staff doctor who was able to provide treatment without problem-this doctor also tended to my sister who suggested she required ambulance transportation to the hospital in the first place. So needless to say, the service is impecible!

The hotel overall really is excellent. It is extremely close to the beach and stretches approximately 2km of beach with no other resorts next to it. There is no requirement of bracelets like most other hotels and there is no need for reservations for the many restaurants that they offer. On the beach, they have not only beach chairs but also queen sized beds with pillows that you can also lay on. There is food at the beach bar from 12pm-4pm and the bar itself is close by but no worries, there are people coming around continuously asking for your drink order at your chair.

The room we stayed in was beautiful. As you enter to your left there is a mini fridge with water, fanta, coke you name it's in it and on the counter are nuts, crackers, and even OREOS! There is also liqour in the room for your pleasure. There is a stand up shower that is see through to the room and a huge jacuzzi bath. The patio is also nice with sliding doors. The beds are a bit hard but comfortable and large. Often the maids, if you leave them a nice gift or tip, will leave you flowers on the bed or towel animals. The room, for the short time we were in it, was great.

The food I enjoyed most was at the following restaurants: Spice, Toscana, Agave, and the Grill. There was also a really great Mexican food restaurant but of it's name I can't remember. Given I have allergies to dairy products, I felt there were enough food options for me. At the Grill, I was surprised to see gluten free options on their menu so for all you Glutards out there not to worry-you'll be fine. I'm not sure from a vegetarian option if there was enough but you'd get by for sure.

There's lots to do for activities both at the pool side and at the sports bar. At there sports bar you can do archery, gun shooting, ping pong, phooze ball, and play pool and along the pool side there are often games such as bingo etc being played. They also teach scuba diving at the hotel as well as do aquatic fit classes. The entertainment staff including Super Willy, Ross, and Hubert are absolutely exceptional, extremely friendly, and fun. Who knows, if you're lucky, you may see Super Willy rap to Eminem on stage!! :-) Also, just to add, they do horseback riding on the beach and even did a horse show on the beach-it was great!

Speaking of entertainment, what I think I loved most in comparison to other hotels is that after the main show, they had an individual acoustic artist play for one hour at the piano bar-Gustavo Del La Cruz. His presence demands an audience as his voice and musical talent are out of this world. He speaks to your soul and gives you that mmmmm feeling. He covers songs from Nirvana to Coldplay to Oasis and also sings songs he has written himself and sells a CD after the show. He is Argentinian and sings songs in both Spanish and English-he has a sexy raspy voice-he's just awesome!

Well..overall it was a fantastic resort to stay in for a week and my family loved it so much they would go back! Thank you to everyone at the Excellence hotel who made this trip worth while! Lots of love to you from Canada!

Elisabeth McLatchie, Room 6210

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,019)
  • Korean first
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here in October this year, having previously stayed in the Excellence in Mexico Playa del Carmen. Our overall perception was that the staff in DR were very friendly and willing to help but that the standard overall was not on a par with Mexico. This was very true for the Club upgrade which we did pay for but probably wished we hadn't. Although it was nice to have an area of the beach with nice beds, there was little else that distinguished it from the other rooms. The Club lounge was really poor - very small and not at all luxurious. Bedrooms are spacious but not sure who designed the bathrooms. Due to the glass panel between the bedroom and the bathroom, if you put the light on in the bathroom during the night, you do wake your partner up as it shines straight onto the bed. Also I prefer a separate toilet as it seems more hygienic than having to step out of the shower and stand right next to the toilet to dry off.

I would like to say many thanks to the staff who made our stay memorable. In particular, Carlos the Head Chef who cooked us some fantastic meals (many thanks Carlos - you were fantastic) and also the gentleman who was the Concierge who kept coming to find us each day to see if there was anything he could do - unfortunately I cannot remember his name but he had the most wonderful smile :-)

Make sure you take mosquito spray and more - we got bitten to death during our stay as did most other guests. We visited the pharmacy to buy some antihistamine cream. We were charged $20 but we met other guests who bought the same and were charged $35 - better to go prepared I would say.

Overall, we had a good holiday. I have given 4 out of 5 rather than 5 out of 5, as the Club upgrade is too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went to Playa Mujeres for our Honeymoon and loved it. They had a main pool with swim up bar right in the center and a couple private pools for relaxing. The beach there was the downfall. Food there was pretty good, not great. Hot stuff was usually a little cool.

Punta Cana was had the same cool food situation going on. The main pool had the swim up bar hidden in the back part of the pool. The beach was definitely nicer. My biggest complaint, I don't remember this being a problem at PM, was that the only private pool we found had ash trays at every table and people were smoking all around us. We had to go to the center pool and they had crazy music blasting the whole time so it was a lose lose. As for the shows at night neither location had great shows.

All in all it was a good vacation, we were saying we could t wait to go back to an Excellence resort after PM but after this trip I think we'll feel better about trying out a new place next time.

• Stayed December 2012
sea island georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

had meager expectations but was very pleasantly surprised.
we live in a 5 * resort ( sea island) but the service here is far superior
not only great service but the entire staff seems to have great attitude and the service appears to come from the heart
beach is outstanding
food and entertainment is good
room and overall property is 4 star
but
SERVICE IS TREMENDOUS AND ELEVATES THE ENTIRE STATUS OF THE VACATION
will DEFINITELY return

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Southern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Punta Cana and we have gone to the Mayan Riviera 5 times including both of the Excellence resorts in Mexico. With one exception all of our trips have been to adults only resorts so I feel that we have a good basis on which to compare this resort.
We travelled with one other couple, using IBK Transfers for private transfers to the resort and had a good experience with them. They were there at the airport waiting for us with a sign when we got there, and picked us up at the hotel for the return transfer, arriving approximately 10 minutes before the arranged time. The transfer took approximately 1 hour and the roads were no worse than back roads I have seen in Southern Ontario/Western New York.
We arrived at the hotel at 5:00 pm and check in was quick and we were taken to our rooms right away. We had requested rooms near each other and this was granted with rooms on the second floor in building 6. We felt the room location was very good, close to the lobby and restaurants as well as the swim up bar in the pool. Our friends had a view of the swim up bar from their balcony while we had a garden view. The balcony is much smaller than the one at EPM which had a bed on it and also did not have the hammock that the ERC had. The room had a bit of a musty odour which is not unusual in the Caribbean and was nicely decorated. The mini bar was well equipped although the only things we ever used were the bottled water, the peanuts and a couple of bottles of wine. The room was fairly typical of adults only resorts although much smaller than the room at EPM which had a large sunken sitting area with a sectional sofa. As others have reported, the bed was firm but we did not find it uncomfortable, just not what we are used to.
We stayed for 9 nights and went to all of the restaurants and the Dominican buffet one night. The food was generally good, with our favourites being Spice, Chez Isabelle and Oregano. We were disappointed in Barcelona and the Grill, with the steaks being over cooked and cold at the Grill. I sent my steak back and the second time it was hot but still over cooked – I ordered rare and got medium well. In general, we have found that the food is better in Mexican AI resorts although the food here was much better than the other resorts that we have visited in the Dominican Republic.
The lobby bar had an open air tropical feel to it, but my wife prefers the modern enclosed air conditioned lobby bars at the other excellence resorts. We also missed the X-lounge where we could enjoy a drink on the beach at night and lay on the loungers and stare up at the stars. The bars have top shelf liquor including my favourites Crown Royal and Grand Marnier if you ask for it. My wife likes Cosmopolitans and found the drinks inconsistent from bar to bar. She found it better to specify everything in the drink i.e. Stolichnaya, Cointreau and cranberry juice rather than just ordering a cosmo and they were more consistent.
The nightly shows were again typical of AI resorts with the Michael Jackson show being our favourite. We find that these are more of a pleasant time to enjoy a couple of after dinner drinks so go with that expectation and you will have a good time. We really enjoyed the music at the lobby bar at night, weather it was the sax player or the guitar player/singer. We didn’t try the disco although our friends went a couple of nights and enjoyed themselves. We didn’t do any of the day time activities preferring to spend time on the beach or the swim up bar, so I can’t comment on them. The beach had red flags every day, so we didn’t do anything beyond walking in the water although we did enjoy walking along the beach to other resorts. We could go to the beach or the pool at any time of the day and get a palapa and beach chairs.
Overall we had a very good time at this resort although we like the resorts in Mexico more because in our opinion, the food is better and the staff a little warmer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Spent 2 weeks at the Exellence in November for our 30th wedding anniversary and this is to say a massive thank you to all the fantastic staff who made our stay so wonderful. Special thanks to Roberto the guest service manager who did everything possible to make our anniversary a special one. If you need to arrange a fishing trip go to see Herbert who will be of great help to you. Herbert arranged a super day fishing for my husband and he is a very genuine and honest person. Great times spent in the Martini Bar with Jose (with many wives) who mixes a mean cocktail.Thanks to all the guys who served us welcome refreshments down on the beach and to chef who cooks a mean barbecue chicken and burger.

The resort is a piece of heaven and if you are in need of a relaxation, good food, comfort and staff who treat you like royalty then this is the place for you. We cannot wait to return and no
that when we do we will be greeted like old friends. Thanks again to you all for giving us such a special time.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent at the excellence
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We traveled to the Excellence from Dec 16th until the 23rd. I did an extensive amount of research before our trip, followed trip advisor from about June until our travel date in Dec, and found it quite remarkable that approximately 90 percent of the reviews were very good. I have to say that we have been to a good majority of the adults only resorts in Punta Cana, and we will no longer look for another, we have found our Dominican home. First off, i will start by saying those of you that did not have a good experience here are obviously not going to be satisfied anywhere, because no other resort has ever been more accomadating then the Excellence Punta Cana. Simply stated, if you were not satisfied with something, you simply asked and the matter was taken care of, for example, yes the bed was a little too firm for us, we simply asked and they put on 2 extra pillowtop mattress pads, problem solved! The resort itself is a little worn, not brand new, but we found this part of the charm, we have never felt so comfortable in a resort as this one, they truly do go the extra mile to make you feel at home. With all that said i will carry on with my review. Ride from the airport, yes took longer than any of the other resorts, but got to see a part of the Dominican that we have not experienced before, was very eye opening and made me a little more appreciative of the actual lifestyle these people have, took about 50 minutes and we stopped at 2 other resorts along the way, and no the bus was not overcrowed like others have said, must be the tour operators that overcrowd the bus, not the resorts issue. Check in and checkout; easy got our glass of champagne and cold towel, very accomadating, got our room very quickly, check out very quick. Upgrade; if you are a beach person, alot of the upgrade appeals for the beach, excellent service on the beach, also better selection of alcohol in your room, but to be honest we would not spend the money again because we didnt feel we utilized it enough for the amount paid, keep in mind they have full bottles of liquor in every room category, although we didnt even open ours and brought them home. Beach; most beautiful stretch of beach i think i have ever seen, very long and private, no others walking along our beachline, totally secluded, and beachbeds and loungers very spread out, never felt crowded, other resorts we have been to they are almost on top of each other. Pools; crystal clear and clean, loved the pools, the swim up bar was the place to be in the afternoons, my favorite bartender, Pedro, and waiter Yefferi, fabulous service, and the pizza, burgers and snacks they bring around is a great touch, they will actually bring you whatever you want, yefferi asked if he could bring us a salad, or tuna or eggsalad sandwich instead, if we didnt want pizza or burgers, now thats service. Restaurants and Food; once again people, if you dont like something, be kind about it and they will happily bring you something else. We thought the food was great, this resort far exceeded my expectations for the quality and taste of any other resorts we have ever been to. We went to the lobster house, my husband cant have seafood so he went for me then we were just going to go somewhere else for him after i was done, the waiter Luis, went above and beyond to go over to the grill restaurant to get him something he could have, we didnt ask him to, he just insisted to make us happy, that is the kind of service that you wouldnt find at another resort, exclusive only to Excellence. All the restaurants were very good, we went to spice, amazing, as well as chez isabelle, also fantastic, and the breakfast buffet at Toscana was better than any I have seen anywhere, just so you know, you can also have made to order breakfast at Lobster house, also very good, we also eat at Oregano, good pizza and pasta, but while we were there we encountered the most appauling table of Americans, loud and obnoxious, berating the staff, they were drunk and disgusting to the waitstaff, all of the other tables were kept waiting due to the ignorance of these people, demanding bottles of wine and literally yelling aboutthe amount of money they spent to be here, i was appaulled by their behavior, i was very impressed by the way the staff handled this, and those people should be ashamed of themselves, treat people the way you would like to be treated, If you are reading this review, you have no class, and are disgusting individuals!!!!!!! Entertainment; this was by far, the best, from the Saxaphone player to the music of Gustavo, at the martini bar every night, tomthe evening shows, everything was great, and to Jose at the martini bar, you make a great drink, and are a very funny guy, we had a lot of laughs. All the drinks were very good and top shelf was always available if you asked, actually once they got to know you, yu didnt have to ask. The rooms were nice and comfortable, not over the top but very adequate, we had a swim up room and very much enjoyed this, didnt really think i would want the bottom floor but it turned out really good. and again the mini bar was always refilled daily and if you wanted extra anything all you had to do was ask. Also take advantage of the honeymoon and anniversary extra's that they offer, breakfast in bed, special dinner, flowers and fruit in room etc. i hope i have helped out with this review, i have commented on alot of things that i would have wanted to know when researching a resort, its not the most grand of Resorts, but if you are looking for a great comfortable place, good food and fabulous service, you have found it here. I would say this is geared to a couples resort, not singles or heavy partiers!

Room Tip: all the rooms are well located, if u want quiet garden view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!