“What an awesome resort!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% Off room rate
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
“What an awesome resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Just got home yesterday and truly enjoyed our vacation! We were there for a week and had a truly relaxing holiday. Our room was well appointed, bar was always well stocked and the cleaning staff were great. The entire staff at this resort go above and beyond to ensure your stay is memorable and they are all very friendly! I've read some reviews that critique the food and I wonder if we were at the same resort! The food was abundant and exceptional. There are multiple a la carte restaurants and something to suit everyone's taste - our favourites were Spice, Agave and Oregano's! The only meal that was a little disappointing was at the Lobster House. The food at the beach hut was great. The beach was exceptional, staff were on it daily raking and cleaning; plenty of chairs and lounge beds for everyone! The same goes for the pool, exceptionally clean and plenty of seats! We attended the Spa and found it above average - we had a couples treatment for 2 1/2 hours and we both found that the massages were exceptional (we certainly didn't expect it!). We did the free 1/2 hour horseback riding and really enjoyed that as well! We only have one negative comment and that's the 1 hour bus ride from the airport to get to and from the resort. We would not hesitate for a moment to recommend this resort and we'll consider a return visit!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,987)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We read all the reviews before choosing Excellence and we were very impressed with this resort. Yes, sometimes the road is rough and windy (I took Dramamine, but I don't know that it was necessary), but we enjoyed the fact that the resort was far from any major city. For us, we were most impressed by the friendly staff. They truly went above and beyond- happily mixing drinks, seating us, bringing us a little something extra, helping with activities, etc. We found the food to be great and we definitely tried all of the restaurants. It is true that the sea is rough in that area, but the beach was beautiful and the beach beds (foam-like) and chairs were SUPER comfortable. Our only downgrade is related to the housekeeping people making noise at around 8:30am. The way the buildings are designed the sound reverberates into everyone's room, no matter what floor you are on. But hey, if that's all I have to complain about then I think this is a winner!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived Dec. 1st from Boston and thank goodness we traveled then as it started snowing and was really cold in Boston. We arrived at PUJ and we are glad we booked a van ahead of time because there was a mob of people trying to get us to take us to our resort. We booked with Dominican Shuttles and it was about $150 roundtrip + tip, not bad. When we arrived at the resort, they welcomed us with champagne and a cold towel which was nice since we were traveling all day. We checked in and our room was ready. We were visiting for our honeymoon and it was so nice they had a honymoon banner on the door. When we tried using the safe, the safe was all ready closed. We called the front desk and someone was up in less than 10 minutes and they fixed it right away. We did have another problem with the safe a few days later-the battery died and wouldn't open, so it took them a while to fix it but they eventually opened our safe. We went to Spice the first night for dinner. We were surprised by the small portions, but it was enough to get us full. The food was good, nothing spectacular but it filled us. It was too dark to scope out the place, so we went to the bar, got a drink and relaxed that night. The next day we explored. It's a really nice resort-not too big or small, the rest size. If you want to go into the pool with the bar-go early, every time we tried going it was packed. Wish there was another pool. We took advantage of the horseback riding and that was nice, a ride along the beach. The only thing is the horses travel in a pack-so you are really close to other travelers. We checked out the spa-that too was really nice. We booked using a deal, but it was clean and the staff was really nice. At the end, they gave us champagne and dessert again since it was our honeymoon. All the staff members are super friendly and helpful. That was nice. We would go back. The food isn't all that, we found a few things we like at all meals and stuck with that. If they could up the ante on the food, then it would've been 5 stars. The beach was okay, definitely not clear blue water or white sand beaches, but this resort is on the Atlantic side. Another negative since the resort is an hour from the airport, it's hard to go site seeing or go off the resort, but we didn't mind. Watch out for the annoying salesmen on the beach-they are just doing their job but tell them upfront you are not interested and they'll leave you alone.

hilton head island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

A family wedding brought us to this resort. The wedding planner did an awesome job; the wedding gazebo was nicely decorated, the pre-dinner location and snacks were good (best food of the week), dinner and cake were both good. She/they did a sweet job decorating the post wedding dinner table. The Dominican dinner on the beach was the other highlight. Excellent selection of local foods. Other than that, the on-site hawkers and communication were real issues. Only a select few of the restaurants were open on any given night and the food was mediocre at best. Vegetarian options do not exist even though they tell you they are. One evening we waited an hour and a half for our meal - my order of hummus totally threw them off. When it finally arrived, it was unlike any hummus I've ever had, and I've had hummus in various international locations. It was actually pearled pasta. Other tables came and went and there we sat. I know our waiter was embarrassed and started avoiding coming over to our table. The maitre d' and the chef did come out and apologize. The room was nice and we did have a good view of the ocean. Room service - as part of the concierge upgrade - was friendly but sporadic. The spa was under construction so the available facilities were minimal. My friend and I went for the same treatment and had two totally different experiences. My therapist was friendly but did not seem to have much experience. She spent most of her time on my lower left leg :) Was not worth the price even with the daily discount. We did leave the property for an all day excursion which was fabulous - excellent guide and overview of the countryside. Will I return to the DR? Not likely. Will probably never return to an all-inclusive resort like this.

Room Tip: second floor offers good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Excellence was just that! The resort was amazing. The staff were all very helpful and so polite. The concierge remembered us 5 days after our arrival and even remembered our room number without asking! There were plenty of staff to accomodate all the guests with minimal wait times at bars/restaurants. The beach was great. White manicured sand (thanks to the staff cleaning the beach numerous times daily) leading out to big ocean waves. Boogie boarding is a must!

The restaurants were incredible also! Our favorites were Spice (Asian) and Agave (Mexican). There were live shows every night at 9:30. The were entertaining and fun. There was plenty to do at all times of the day. The disco at night was great as well.

I would also highly recommend the Dive Center on premises for anyone SCUBA certified. The dive master Franklin was top notch!

I would give my highest recommendation. Truly no complaints about this resort. We went with 4 other couples and had the time of our lives.

Room Tip: Ocean front is definitely worth the money. Also, you may want to bring a noise machine or ear plugs...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Lovely hotel, wonderful staff and all inclusive. For us this is a simple, affordable, one flight getaway. Food fine but not top of the line. Drinks all top shelf. Bring a good book or two and relax. Highly recommended by both my husband and myself. This is our second year and we are booked for 2013. See you there!

Room Tip: Try a room not facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vaughan, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Excellence Resort – Punta Cana – Nov 30 to Dec 7, 2012-12-13
Well let me start by saying that I can’t compare to other Punta Cana resorts as this was our first time visiting. We were there with 2 other couples and the drive from the airport (we took a private cab for the 6 of us) was not a pleasant ride. The drive itself is almost an hour and the roads are in terrible shape. There are no highways leading out and I think it would do the government well to spend some money and repair the many pot holes.
The weather didn’t cooperate for us...we had a few early days of sun, heat and humidity but then the clouds and the rain came in. The girls regularly were using towels as blankets. The wind was somewhat unbearable at times. We used the sports center during the rainy periods.
The resort is pretty nice but I concur with a number of writers that it does need ongoing upkeep and maintenance. Rooms were ok (we had 3rd floor) but my brothers room on the second floor did have the musty odour to it for the entire week. I recommend you ask for 3rd floor as they have vaulted ceilings. The rooms aren’t that far from the beach or the main area and restaurants.
The meals....well I would say they were fair to good, not excellent. I was pleased that breakfast is your typical fair and I got my share of eggs (any way I wanted), bacon, potatoes, etc. Lunch on the beach was adequate and more of sustenance than anything else. We did try the buffet a couple of times and it was ok. There is enough selection but not the same as when I travelled to resorts in Mexico.
Dinner, well the first night the recommendation was the French restaurant and lucky for us the wine was good but my entree of fish (can’t remember the type) was overly salted etc.... this was not an enjoyable meal although having company is what made the night. We ate at Spice on Sunday night and Elias Beinvenido and Sanata Maria kept our evening lively. The spring rolls are probably the best on the menu. Monday was at Oregano’s and we were graciously helped by Raul and Dolores...the pasta was decent and the pizzas were not bad, thin crispy crusts. The Lobster house was ok for dinner and they offer additional portions if you are up for it...again salt was an issue...we were helped by Jose Luis who was very courteous. We also ate at Toscana and were assisted and kept amused by Yoel.
Do visit the Martini bar and Jose will make you cappuccinos’ and espresso’s and he speaks multiple languages...a pleasure to deal with.
Overall I would say that this trip will be my last to Punta Cana. I would visit Mexico again before ever considering one of the resorts here. I’m sure it may be better weather wise at a different time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!