“Not a 5 Star Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not a 5 Star Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Excellence for 5 nights. I would say that it fell short of "excellente". This resort is definitely not a 5 star resort. I am unsure as to why it is ranked so high. We vacationed in Punta Cana last year and stayed at the Iberostar Grand so we had high expectations going into this trip. You can read my review for that resort as I highly recommend it. If we ever returned to Punta Cana we would stay at the Iberostar Grand for sure.

Location: if you have never been to Punta Cana, there are two sides to the island - the Caribbean side and the Atlantic side. Excellence is located on the Atlantic side. We have visited both and the beaches are very different. On the Atlantic side the waters are a little rough vs the Caribbean side which is very calm. Both are equally beautiful with clear turquoise water. We did not mind the rougher water at all. Coming from
The northeast we are very used to waves and it didn’t bother us at all. Another thing to note on the location is that it is about an hour from the airport. We made sure to book a private shuttle ahead of time so we did not get stuck on a shuttle with people from other hotels and we could just go right to the resort. We used Dominican shuttles (about 150 USD) and the ride was not as terrible as everyone else describes in their reviews!

The Resort: At first glance the grounds are well kept and clean. You are greeted with a glass of champagne and a cold towel. The lobby area is big and this is where all of the shows and restaurants are located for the most part. The rooms are situated parallel to the beach and pool so basically every building is close to both. However, if you prefer to be close to the lobby and restaurants I would choose buildings 6 or 7. We were put in 14 which is the farthest building from everything and adjacent to the Dominican shops that are not on the resort property. I emailed prior to our stay to request building 6 and they did not honor my request. Not a huge deal because we were a hop skip and a jump to the beach but it was a long walk to the restaurants, the gym, the spa and the lobby.

The rooms: There are 3 floors in each building and our room was on floor 1. We had a little patio with a hammock. None of the rooms on the resort are oceanfront so I would not recommend paying extra. There are ocean view rooms that you can see a little bit of the ocean over the pool and through the palm trees. Again I don't think it is worth it for the money. The staff told us the room was renovated but I wouldn't say they were renovated like I would have expected. The room smells musty but I think that is the norm for the Caribbean. There is a jacuzzi tub and a Stand up tile shower in the same room with a toilet and a glass window so you can see in from the bedroom (weird if you are not traveling with your spouse). The bed might be the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on. It is really bad. The mini fridge is re stocked sporadically (sometimes not at all). We never spend too much time in the room so we aren't too picky but the uncomfortable bed was disappointing.

The Food: really bad (most of it anyway) and it isn't because the ingredients are from here instead of the US. I can appreciate different ingredients but it was because it seemed like the food was prepared the day before and sat under a warmer for 24 hours. We ate at the Grille, lobster house, and agave and opted for the grille the rest because it was the best. Agave is the Mexican restaurant and it was absolutely terrible. For breakfast we ate at the buffet. By the end of the trip I found myself opting for Toast as it was the only thing that was edible! How do you mess up breakfast? Even the eggs were bad most of the time. Room service is Terrible!! We often found ourselves still hungry after dinner because the food was so bad, so we would try to order something from room service and it was even worse!! Bottom Line, the food quality really disappointed me. I don't expect a 5 star meal like in the states, but the meals should at least be edible!

Outside Vendors: This hotel allows outside vendors to come onto the resort property and set-upb shop to sell nick nacks and other various things. I couldn't believe this. When we would be walking around the resort we were being approached by various vendors to try to get us to purchase their goods. I thought this was unacceptable.

The Service: Inconsistent. Some of the servers were fantastic. But again, in comparison to Iberostar Grand, Excellence does not compare. The first night it took 1 hour to get me a glass of champagne at dinner. I have to say the service on the beach was great. I drank champagne most of the days, but friends that ordered mixed cocktails found that they were inconsitent with pouring top shelf. My recommendation would be to make sure you ask and watch to see what they pour.

Nightlife: There is basically one bar that is open late (the discoteca) it was quite a walk from our room and had a TERRIBLE smell. We sometimes went there to order drinks but hung out at the tables outside. We still had a blast but I wish they would make it smell better!!

TIP: BRING BUG SPRAY. I had welts ALL over my body from the mosquitos. The resort has a "jungle" type walk through area with ponds that must attract bugs. Some people we traveled with didn't get bit at all, but my bites were terrible. There are also tons of sand mites.

Overall, I feel like I may have made the trip sounds worse than it was. We had a wonderful time, but in key areas that you expect a "5 star" resort to excel, Excellence fell short. Overall if you don't mind very bad food, inconsistent service and mediocre rooms this place wouldn't be bad when they run their special rates. However, if you are well traveled and expect high quality and top notch service - look elsewhere. Again - read my review on Iberostar Grand Bavaro if you are looking at other resorts in Punta Cana. We also have friends that stayed at the Majestic Elegance and had a wonderful time so I would recommend that as well. I hope some more people start giving Excellence the rating it deserves (3-4) because the ranking is very misleading to people researching resorts in Punta Cana!

Feel free to inbox me if you have any more questions.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for an oceanview or oceanfront room. None of the rooms are directly oceanfront. T...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,023)
  • Korean first
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana DR 11/7--11/11. We were at this location for my son's wedding with 40 other wedding attendee's. The Excellence is about an hour ride from the airport with one stop at another resort. Upon arrival our room was upgraded to an Excellece club room. I believe this was do to renovations. The room was large with a jacuzze tub in it. We were pretty busy so did not get to use it but it looked great. The wedding was on the beach with a cocktail hour to follow. The reception was held off site. The wedding was wonderful as was the cocktail hour. All was setup realy nice. The resort is not very flexible on their wedding packages so just be aware, you get what you are contracted for and they will not change or make exceptions. But it was not my planning so my son can complain about that. Check-in was easy and quick, the service at the resort is the best I have experienced in my 5 travels to the DR. The staff is always willing to help and always have a smile on their face. Room cleaning was great. The mini bar in the room was top noch and restocked as needed. We were in building 12 and it is a long walk to the everything but the pool. So if walking is an issue for you then you may want to find one of the other buildings. All the food we had was excellent you should not have a problem with the food at this location. Room service (also free)was timley and called you to say they were on their way. They had various activities going on that we did not get to take advantage of like free horse back riding and free snokeling trips, I have never had that as a free item before nice touch Execellence. The pool is large and keeps on going. They had morning activities that seemed well attended but they did not have the normal loud music and activies team running around. This was nice but sometimes I like the party sounds and activity.

To sum up this the best place I have stayed for an All inclusive and would go back in a second. All services are great as is food & drinks. If your a picky person I am sure you will be able to find something but it should be hard to complain about anything. Well done Excellence Team, your the best. I always say read all lots of reviews before booking then you should not be suprised about anything good or bad. You just have to determine if the bad things are real and if it is a deal breaker for you.

Thanks

Jim from NJ

Room Tip: It's a large location so if walking is an issue plan to get a room closer to the main area's...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great resort, enjoyed the stay!!

This is our 6th all inclusive: three with kids, three couples only, so we can compare, and this one is the best so far.
Do not read negative reviews, some people bi..ch about everything..

Food: very good, all restaurants except, maybe, Barcelona, but it may have been our luck - the server was very slow and had no clue..
Room service: excellent
Issues: everything is addressed promptly by the staff, no complaints

Ocean is little rough, but if you don't mind short walk, about half mile to the right (facing the ocean), there little or no waves.

Take lots of singles, it it all inclusive, but if you get a drink brought to you while relaxing in the lobby or on the beach? Come on.. Going to a dinner to a nice restaurant, I usually leave $10 or so, $2 for room service..

Do not bother paying extra for "Excellence Club", do not pay for transfers if you book through Expedia or Delta (or whoever) Vacations: find (google) a local transfer company, much cheaper, and very reliable.

Free Wi-Fi at the hotel, BUT Google Voice (through Groove IP app) doesn't work, I guess they block that particular port on their firewall. Skype worked ok, not great but if you turn video off, you can talk.

We went to a catamaran tour for a day to the Carribean side of the island, loved it

Tweed, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We just returned from Excellence this past Friday and I must say this trip was filled with memories that will last a lifetime!

What made this trip so fantastic has to be the wonderful staff employed by the resort. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by Victor and Manuel, two fantastic guys that were most kind, setting the standard for the level of care we received the whole trip.

We were a little early on our arrival and were guided to the outdoor beach bar while our rooms were getting the final touches. That's where we met Omar, Breimy and Felix, three of the most accommodating bar tenders you'll ever meet. If you're Canadian and looking for a quality ceasar, I suggest you speak with these lads, they encourage good times!

We ate at most of the restaurants and they were all delicious - hats off to Carlos, the resorts Mexican Head Chef. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant, but I do remember Anan the waiter. This guy went out of his way to make us feel special one night, laying rose petals on the table, keeping us fully refreshed - quality 5 star service.

Young Lopez deserves a mention - very helpful and all smiles all the time. And last but not least, Domingo the resident saxophone player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_zbHbwyHA - this guy has romance written all over him!

The beach is great, I'm more into waves vs. calm waters.

Pool is also great - it was a coin toss as to where we would hang out each day.

Everything is in walking distance ie. pool, beach, rooms and restaurants (5 minutes to anywhere).

Take advantage of the excursions, from what I hear, they are all fun. We did the catamaran and spent the day on the south side of the island in the calm waters which was nice - great for pictures.

I seen a couple of posts about the folks selling the excursions and have to say this.
Don't be shy when dealing with the lads selling the excursions, they are all very kind and not pushy at all. Dr. Watson, Pierre, Diego, and Herby are all there to try to encourage fun and if you're not interested, just say no. If you try to be nice and say "maybe", then of course they will ask you again. Don't waste their time and be honest and they won't ask you again. Afterwards, you will get high-fives and hand shakes every time they walk by, of course only if you're interested ; )

Thank you Excellence for the great vacation - see you next week!

Jeff

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We just returned from EPC on 11/30/12. I had read many reviews prior to leaving, but our experience exceeded expectations. This resort is absolutely gorgeous in a natural, tropical way. We loved sitting on the beach every day, it was very picturesque. I was not comfortable going into the ocean because of the large waves, but many other visitors went in and enjoyed it. We received a room in building 1. Having stayed at over 20 caribbean resorts, we are used to rooms smelling somewhat musty. However, I was surprised at how musty this room was considering it was newly renovated. It was in a good location with a nice view, so we chose not to move. The staff went above and beyond. They want you to have a great vacation and do everything to insure that is what you get. The head chef approached us at breakfast one morning just to ask for our feedback and if there was anything that could be better. Another gentleman, Roberto, approached us when we were checking out to see if we had any problems during our stay or if we had any general suggestions. They make you feel like your opinion really counts. There were little things that Excellence offered that other resorts do not, including free wifi everywhere, free 30 horseback ride, and free massages on the beach every morning. We were surprised at how good the food was for dinner. Our favorites were Spice and the Grill. We did not care for the breakfast buffet. The food was not kept hot enough. The only exception was the made-to-order omelettes. We ended up skipping breakfast most days and having lunch instead. We had prebooked private transfers with IBK Transfers and everything went smoothly with them as well. I did notice that taxis were the same price and were readily available. We will probably use the taxi option next time, just because there would be less waiting around. We have stayed at 4 other resorts in Punta Cana, but feel Excellence is at the top. We would not hesitate to return!

Morris Plains, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived 11/25 and left 12/1. We stayed in the Excellence Club, the check-in process was quick and smooth and we felt welcome at the resort.
The room was as we hoped for, in building 8 with a direct ocean view.
Some of the amenities that were offered were not accurate or fully disclosed. For example, there is not daily fresh fruit and flowers brought to your room, we received the nightly dessert to the room 2 nights of the 6, restocking of alcohol bottles, we met friends and used two bottles...we threw away the bottles away after finishing them and discovered after 2 days they were not replaced as advertised, when we inquired as to why we were advised we needed to leave the empty bottles where they are located in the room if we wanted them replaced. Are you kidding me??!! We paid a lot of money for this all-inclusive! Its advertised as they will get replaced without stipulations involved.
One day after showering I grabbed what I thought was a clean towel and to my disgust it was a smelly,dirty towel...very gross, gagged and almost vomitted.
Mini bar in general was far from an upgrade for Excellence Club. If there version of an upgraded mini bar is a kitkat, 4 pack of oreo cookies, plain crackers and 2 small bags of peanuts then I would hate to see the non Excellence Club mini bar. We ate the kitkat bar on the 2nd day and it never got replaced. Also, drank the only orange juice and it never got replaced.
Outside of the room...in the pool there were no rafts. Having the rafts was what we looked forward to. We asked several times where they were and got a different response everytime, being cleaned/"broken"/ sent out and then finally was told they no longer offer rafts beacuse they are an issue. Again, very disappointing. That was something what we looked forward to #1 because we had them daily in Playa Mujeres and #2 as advised.
Stay far away from the "market" on the beach!! The stray dogs roaming around that area on the beach were more pleasant then the local shop owners. The shop owners were all VERY pushy (even through they'll tell you they are not pushy) and when finally decided to get something their approach changed drastically to a threatening demand to pay a specific amount. We felt very unsafe and uncomfortable.
The theme throughout our stay when it came to the restaurants was, the food was fair at best and at some places unedible (Barcelona and various dishes from the other restruants). How does the pizza place Oregano run out of cheese, really?! Then, at a few other restaurants, things on the menu were not available. The service of most of the staff was top notch though. Carlos the server at Agave was fantastic- he went above and beyond when we saw him.
Nightly we went to the bars- We went to catch the football games at the sports bar....after we found it, a bit out of the way and hidden, we ordered 2 beers but were told there was no beer. How does a sports bar not have beer? We went to the night club Allegro one night and it was foul- the stench was nasty. We walked in and walked right out, never went back. We ended up hanging out at the Martini bar every night. Ramon the bartender there is amazing. He's extremely attentive, fun and enjoyable. He couldn't do enough for us.
We made the best of the trip despite all the disappointments. The resort itself and the amenities are no where near five star however, the staff was. We had a great past experience with Excellence at Playa Mujeres- even though we do not plan on returning to the Punta Cana location we do look forward to checking out the Oyster Bay location once open.

Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We just came back from a wonderful 7 night vacation to the Excellence Punta Cana! This was our very first visit to the Dominican Republic and we were not at all disappointed!! We have been to a few 5 star resorts in Mexico including the Excellence in the Mayan Riviera, and this was one of the best (if not the best) place we’ve been to!

Food:
Surprisingly it was very good!! We were always told that nothing can beat the food in Mexico…but I think this place did!
- At breakfast we went to the buffet which was excellent! Lots of different food selections which were very delicious. Tip – at the buffet they don’t serve cappuccinos….but don’t think they don’t have cappuccinos anywhere! The Martini bar made amazing cappuccinos!
- At lunch our favourite place was the beach grill! They always had new food everyday along with some favourites such as their personal pizzas. The a-la-carte restaurant for lunch was good too but we liked to bring our food to the beach.
- For dinner we went to the Lobster House, the Grill, the Italian restaurant, Spice, and a Dominican Night dinner party on the beach. We liked how there were no reservations required for any of the restaurants and the longest we ever had to wait for a table was 5 minutes. At all restaurants there was something my husband and I enjoyed. The steak was very well cooked and tasted excellent and the seafood was amazing. Even though the food is very good for an all-inclusive resort, don’t expect it to be something you would find at a 5 star restaurant in Canada or the U.S. It’s unrealistic to expect it to be up to that standard but overall we really enjoyed the food.

Rooms:
Very nice rooms!! We had a standard junior suite with a garden view in building 11. Even though we were in one of the furthest rooms, it took us about 2 mins to walk to the pool and beach, and about 5 mins to walk to the lobby. I was hesitant about the garden view at first because some places we’ve been to say “garden view” but you’re overlooking the tree tops and nothing else. This garden view was actually quite nice! It overlooked a nice fountain pond, some trees and a nice path which you could walk along. We were in a newly renovated room which was beautiful. Like almost anywhere you would go the beds and pillows were hard but we brought our own pillows with us which helped us sleep better. Overall, we slept good, we went to bed around 12 and didn’t wake up to people being loud in the hallways or in the rooms beside us. Tip: We emailed the resort a few weeks before our arrival and requested a roo on the top floor, in a newly renovated building and with a King sized bed. They emailed us back the same day and when we checked in we got everything we wanted.

Service:
The service at this resort is absolutely amazing!!! The BEST service we have ever had. To be honest it’s hard to explain just how nice everyone was! All staff were very friendly, always said “hello” and went out of their way to help you. For one example, my husband and I went to see the parrots at the animal sanctuary and one of the gardeners came up to us and brought a big handful of nuts from the tree to feed to the birds. The bartenders are always amazing! The drinks they made were very good!

Entertainment:
I would highly recommend the horseback riding!! The resort includes a 30min horseback riding session for free. My husband and I were unsure of it at first because we’ve never been on a horse before, but it was very nice! They take you along the beach and you get to enjoy the beautiful scenery. You can buy a 2 hour private session for about $100 and looking back I wish we bought that because the 30 mins just wasn’t enough! The nightly entertainment was very good! Some places we’ve been to, the entertainment has been a little boring or repetitive, but at the Excellent they always had something new every night we were there. The Michael Jackson show especially was very good. They had lots to do at night after the show was done. We went to the casino a few nights which was a lot of fun. It was just a small casino with a few black jack tables, a roulette table, a poker table for tournaments and about 20 slot machines, but it was still fun. They also have a small dance club which we went to a few nights.

Beach:
The beach was amazing! Amazing soft sand, beautiful tree lines, and you could walk for hours in either direction. The water was a bit rough but that didn’t stop us from going into the ocean. Also, we found that if you walked about 15mins down the beach the water became a lot calmer.

Pool:
The pool was very nice! They always had water volleyball set up which we played on a few days. Although the pool was nice it wasn’t anything that blew me away.

Grounds:
Very beautiful resort! Even though there are a lot of rooms and a lot of people at the resort, it felt very small and cozy. You could walk through the entire resort very quickly. The animal sanctuary on the resort was also amazing. It was awesome to see the flamingos and parrots so close to you. Tip – we found out the last day that the parrots actually talk! If you say “Hola” it will repeat it!

Room Tip: Email the resort a few weeks before the trip and make your requests. Even though they say they can...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!