“Resort was beautiful....food :(” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Excellence Punta Cana to your Saves list
Excellence Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #12 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Woodbridge, New Jersey
“Resort was beautiful....food :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Excellence Resort is picturesque! Open-airy atmosphere that extends to gorgeous pool and beach. Every employee we encountered was friendly and very accommodating. This was the perfect setting for a November escape....except for...the FOOD! Fortunately, there was much to choose from, unfortunately, much of it was not very good. If you long of a cup of morning coffee....forget it. You won't be satisfied. Fruit??? You would think on an island it would be fresh, cold, and juice...NOT. Warm, mushy, and not too fresh. Don't have dairy...that too is warm. Juice??? extremely watered down. It's really water, with a touch of OJ. The rooms appeared to be in order...musty smell. Had to wipe down phone because it truly had a horrific odor. Dry your hair just before you're ready to leave for the night...because you may blow a fuse...I did...each night. So, if you are looking for a beautiful resort, with a gracious staff...but not interested in enjoying the food...this is the place for you. Otherwise, find a resort where you will truly enjoy not only the atmosphere, but the eating experience.

Room Tip: We asked for the garden view, first room they gave us was a view of rickety shacks, not a garden vi...

8,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,746)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A friend and I stayed for 6 days and had the most wonderful time. It was far better than I expected it to be! We arranged airport transportation with the help of the resort and that was perfect. The bell staff met us with sparkling wine, took our bags, and took care of everything for us (Special thanks to bellman Toni from Spain!)

We had a garden level room in one of the far buildings, and it was clean and well stocked upon arrival and after housekeeping each day. The wireless internet was very fast. We ate at the French restaurant, Spice, the lobster house, and the pool grill - all were very tasty! We gambled in the casino and had lots of fun there! The evening shows were also tons of fun. The events staff obviously works very hard! We ordered room service for breakfast each morning and got ready for the day while we waited for it to arrive. I went to the gym each morning and was honestly shocked by how lovely and clean it was! The machines were all in perfect working order and there were plenty of things to choose from. I've been to many all inclusive resorts and have never seen a gym like that.

We spent the mornings on the beach (we were well taken care of by the beach wait staff and always had a fresh drink), then moved to the pool in the afternoon (service by the pool was also excellent, they brought by pizzas, tacos, and fruit).

We didn't do the excellence club, so I can't speak to whether that was worth it, but I do know that our service was spectacular without being in the club.

The staff members were all exceptional and went above and beyond for us. Moya (at the sports bar), Toni (at the bell stand), Tito and Juan Carlos (activities) are just a few of the names that stand out.

I do recommend the following: Bug Spray for being outside at night, maybe some itch cream if you do get bitten by mosquitos, lots of 1$ bills for tips, make sure you order the coco-loco (it's fabulous), and just go there with a positive attitude and loosen up! It's a great place!

We met wonderful people and made great friends! Thank you Excellence for a fabulous vacation!

Room Tip: Our room was in building 14, so a little farther away from the main building. It was very quiet and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at the EPC from November 11-20, 2012. This was my first time in the Dominican, but certainly not my first time at an all-inclusive resort. I chose EPC because it claimed to be a 5 star resort, received mostly excellent reviews, and as a solo travel was good value having to pay the single supplement. Sadly I think the relatively low cost may have brought along the rowdy, ill mannered tourists too.

Getting there:
I had read about the long, windy, bumpy road to the resort so I took a Gravol. It was indeed as others had said. It was mostly one lane roads with lots of pot holes which my driver was very good about dodging. I opted for a private car knowing that EPC was the last stop and would take an hour. So glad I did. While some of the scenery was nice, the abject poverty I witnessed was disturbing. I made sure to tip generously throughout my stay after seeing how many people lived, not knowing whether the staff or their families came from such humble abodes. As an FYI I learned that the staff live in dorms just outside the resort. They work 11 days on, 14 hour days, sleep in bunk beds, the rooms are not air conditioned, and they can't open the windows because the mosquitos are horrendous by their dorms.

The room:
I was greeted with a cold towel and glass of champagne and whisked away to the Excellence club for my check-in which was very smooth. The bellman gave me a tour along the way pointing out the restaurants and amenities as we walked. When I arrived at my room I was thrilled to see it was decorated with balloons and a towel shaped like a tiered cake on my bed for my birthday. I stayed in building 10, room 10109 and had a nice view of the ocean. The room was well appointed and clean. I had no bug problem as others had reported in their reviews. The bed was rather firm and the pillows small but I can sleep on anything. I'm glad I travelled alone as it had a shower that could be fully viewed in the bedroom. The toilet was in there too which obviously wouldn't give you any privacy. The make-up mirror was way too high up. It was attached at about 6 ft from the floor. It was completely useless! The lighting was terrible. I was also bothered by the lack of electrical outlets. There only appeared to be two available outlets which was by the sink. The AC worked fine in my room...too well in fact and often had to turn it down or off. It was so humid there though that no amount of AC could dry your wet bathing suits. Everything always felt slightly damp, though I didn't smell any mildew as others complained of in reviews.

I had 5 large bottles of alcohol as well as a stocked fridge. I only drink coke so I had them take out the diet coke and replace it with more regular coke. I was also able to switch out one of the bottles of alcohol for a large bottle of Bailey's. It would have been nice if they stocked better munchies. There were no potato chips which was a disappointment for me as I have a salt tooth.

Food:

I was very disappointed with the food. I'm by no means a foodie and very much a steak and potatoes kind of girl but I found most of the food rather bland. The first night I went to the Lobster House. Most all-inclusives you'd have to pay extra for lobster so I was very excited. I had the clam chowder and lobster thermidore. It wasn't the New England clam chowder I was expecting. It was a dark grey pureed fishy tasting concoction with a single clam in its shell. I didn't care for it but I guess it was there take on it. The lobster must have been a different species than I was used to and their version of thermidore was different but not unpleasant. I gave the Lobster house one more go and had the a la diabla and I found it bland and almost inedible. The Lobster house for breakfast on the other hand I found to be quite good. The Breakfast buffet at Toscana was also pretty good but their sausages were not good.

Next night I tried the Grill and I thought this was the worst meal. The Caesar salad was more like lettuce in a soupy mess of dressing. I ordered the beef tenderloin and shrimp, and side of mushrooms. Looking at the cows I saw as I drove in I should have known better. It was not seasoned at all, had no flavour, and was more of a tough sirloin. The "sautéed mushrooms" were heated canned mushrooms... yes canned! I had great difficulty eating this meal.

The best meal I had was at the Asian restaurant Spice. I was with a large group of Canadians I had just met so the staff just brought us out every appetizer on the menu to share. I thought it was awesome. The pot stickers and spring rolls were amazing! Could have given more ginger though for the sushi. I had the Thai Green curry which was actually red but tasted great and was sufficiently spicy. I ended up going back to this restaurant 2 more times.

The Mediterranean restaurant, Barcelona, was also quite good. Again I was with the same large group of Canadians so they brought us out a variety of tapas. I most enjoyed the garlic shrimp. Everyone seemed to enjoy their main courses, but I again made the mistake of ordering steak with goat cheese. It was two very thin cuts of sirloin with goat cheese between them. If it wasn't for the goat cheese the meal would have had no flavour. It seems to be that those who have fish most enjoy their meals.

We then went to Toscana, the Italian restaurant. Unfortunately the AC was broken, there was no air movement to speak of, and we were all dying from the heat. A couple of us had to go outside just to catch a breeze. It made for a very uncomfortable dinner and we really just wanted eat and get the hell out of there. I had the minestrone to start which was quite good, but again I just don't learn and ordered beef in a port glaze. It was like breaded steak and was very flat, overdone and looked like a well done hamburger patty. The glaze was ok though. The pastas looked good and apart from the heat people seemed to enjoy it.

The last restaurant I tried with my new friends was Chez Izabella. I had the French Onion soup which was rather watery and bland but still edible. I again ordered beef, the chateau briand, and this time the cut was rather tender though a little bland. A couple people order the escargot, one enjoyed it, the other couldn't eat theirs. I think all in all most enjoyed their food there.

The one thing I really did enjoy was at 12:30 every day, they would bring pizzas around the pool. The pizzas were pretty good and the beauty was you didn't have to leave your pool chair....cuz if you did someone would steal your floatie from you. Also, every other day the cooks would bring around samples of hors d'oevres many of which were really good! I give the pool side service 5 stars as this is a little extra you don't get at any other resort. I also tried the beach restaurant a couple times and found the burgers to be really good. Their daily specials were also very good like the kabobs. My only complaint is no vinegar for the fries. They really need to cater to tourists other than Americans. Most Brits and some Canadians prefer vinegar on their fries (the smell of Ketchup makes me ill).

Beach/pool
The beach and pool areas were well kept. A tractor removed the seaweed from the shore daily, and the pool and deck areas were cleaned every morning. There are 3 pool areas: an activity area nearest the lobby, a centre pool that hosts the swim up bar, and on the far end an even quieter area. Both quiet areas have a dozen in pool loungers. The guests were late risers so unless there was an exact spot you had to have you could probably stroll down to the pool before 10 and still have your pick of ideal spots. The pool floats are tossed in around 9 or 9:30 so if you're there around that time you should have no problem getting a float. Even by 10 there are still floats waiting to be grabbed just floating in the pool. This is why I was confused by all the floatie thefts.

Apparently these particular floats are prone to breaking if left in the sun so the staff require that the floats remain in the pool at all time. This isn't a problem if you have a lounger in the pool. The particular tourists that were there when I was there were rude, loud, obnoxious thieves. I chose an adult only resort and a spot in the quieter end to avoid the rowdies. I don't like places with kids because I despise the screaming, yelling and canon-balling into the pool. Well at this resort, it was like being there at spring break and the young adults behaved like children. But the worst part were the floatie thieves. I couldn't go to pee without someone stealing my float. I'm up earlier and at the pool ALL DAY and to turn my back for a moment and be stolen from me was beyond infuriating. I was tempted to simply pee in the pool. More about who those people were later.

Because it was so soon after Sandy the water was really grey and dreary looking, but it did get bluer as the days passed. The waves were rough so I never ventured more than waist high. The sand is not white or golden but more the brown colour in a sand box. Perhaps it was because the resort is positioned on the Atlantic side.

Service:

The service was excellent. There was the odd lapse in seeing a waiter or forgetting a drink order but I really can't complain. Being a solo traveler I found they went out of their way to be attentive. One waiter at the Lobster House gave me a honeymooners' table decorated with rose petals and glass stones. Frequently room service would magically appear with complimentary treats and on my birthday a cake was waiting for me in my room. I felt very welcomed by the staff. Just as a side note, always put the chain on your door. One day I didn't have the do not disturb sign on and only dead-bolted the door. The mini bar guy did not hear me when I said one moment and was able to open my door and unlock the dead-bolt.

Entertainment:

Every night there was a different themed show. Some were brilliant, like the Michael Jackson show, others were simply good but entertaining. Before and after the shows they would often have a band playing music until 11 pm. If you still weren't ready to go to sleep there was a casino open until 2 a.m. as well as a disco. The casino is not air conditioned and kind of smoky and dirty. I stuck my head into the disco at around 11 p.m. and it only had about about 10 patrons in it so I didn't stick around but I'm sure as the night wore on it probably got a lot busier.

The atmosphere/guests:

Just let me preface by saying I have always found Americans to be very friendly and kind and have many American friends, but there seemed to be an exceptional amount of loud, rude, and obnoxious Americans. Maybe it's because Americans made up 80% of the guests and therefore the odds of the jerks being American would be proportionally as high. I found them to be pushy, condescending to staff, didn't tip, rarely said thank you, and really really loud! The people who tried to steal my float when my back was turned were ALL American. The ones who asked to borrow my float and return it were ALL Canadian. Most of the guests were well under 40 and at least half only in their twenties. Maybe the youth factor played into this, but it wasn't the young couples that were the problem but the large groups. One evening as I was in my room, there was a group of young adults running up and down the hall, hooting and hollering, and appeared to be having a party in their room (10111). After an hour of this carrying on I had to call the concierge as it was driving me crazy. Also as people were returning to their rooms in the evening they would be very loud as they passed through the various buildings. If you are in a large group, do try to remember that many guests are there for rest and relaxation, not for a party on the Jersey Shore.

If it wasn't for the 8 Canadians and 2 Brits that I met, the other tourists would have completely ruined my holiday. Thankfully my new friends provided welcomed, polite company and kindness to my otherwise lonely stay. Having said that, I probably would never return to this resort because of the class of people that over-run this resort. Perhaps it was the time of year being so close to Thanksgiving (though I always travel to Cancun this time of year), or maybe it was because the price of the stay was so low it invited a class of people that had poor manners and travelling etiquette, I don't know. If I return to Punta Cana I think I would try the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. It may be quite a bit more expensive but maybe I would have a more quiet restful stay.

Room Tip: Block 10 is attached to the Excellence Club and provides easy access. If you asked for ocean view t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mountville, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed with my wife and one other couple From 11-16-12 - 11-24-12.

We had a good time, but it didnt live up ti all the 5 star reviews.

The food:
The grill and Spice had great food. The mexican and French and lobster house were not that great for us. pants are required for all reasturansts except 2. men can wear jeans or whatever as long as they were to your ankes.
The beach food hut on the beach had great lunches!

The drinks:
very dissappointed in how inconsistant they were in making the same drink...even the same bartender...drinks being made were just way too different everytime. They did have top shelf liquors, but they dont use that unless you ask for it...even in martini's which I found odd.
Coca colas...flat unless you got it out of a bottle.

The beach, red flag day everyday....means no water sports at all. I was told its always a red flag day here. They undetow is too dangerous. The waves were pretty large too. The water wasnt blue like I assumed it would be...but tis is due to the fact that there were large waves.

The pools-- These were all great...no issues here at all.

The entertainment. They had great shows everynight from 9:30 to @ 10:00.

very dissapointed in the catermaran snorkling excursion...takes too long to get to the resort where they leave on the catermaran..@ 1 hours..then a 45 min ride to get to the snorkling spot. didnt see many different kinds fo fish, teh reef was not very colorful at all. We then went to the all natural pool...a huge joke...water was brown and looked horrible. Lots of seaweed on the bottom.....I would not recommend this trip to anyone.

Service:
the service was great. always someone there to help.

The beds are extra firm.

mesquitos were very bad.

We had a good time on vacation...i mean how can you not, we just liked other places we went in the past better. Couples swept away in Negril was our favorate place to go.

We will not go back to this resort

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just returned from an 11-day vaca at this resort where the great service and genuine staff made our stay the best ever. Recommend the 3rd floor on a beach-front building, the Lobster House and restaurants with pizza. Breakfast buffet --- outstanding!
While you may never want to leave, please take the 4-wheeler excursion where the vehicles meet you on the beach and take you into the countryside to experience at least a little of the Dominican culture. Only 2 hours long so it won't even take away from a day on the beach. Pierre, the guy in the orange shirt on the beach, will make all the arrangements.

Room Tip: Building 10 - 3rd floor facing beach. While this building is part of the "Excellence Club"...
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Excellence Punta Cana with several friends, a group total of 16 beginning on October 25th. This was our first time in the DR Overall, we had a great experience and below are the details broken down.

SERVICE: The service is wonderful throughout the resort. We felt like we were waited on extensively at the pool, bar service was typically quick, and we never had to wait in line at the restaurants. Every staff member wore a smile on their face throughout the day, and they all do a fantastic job of making sure everyone is happy, the grounds are clean and the guests are served. Of course we kept in mind that it is a very large all-inclusive resort, so we did not expect room service to come instantaneously or for us to be easily accomodated given the size of our group.

FOOD: Chez Isabel and The Grill were where our best meals were. Unfortunately, they do not like to sit groups larger than 8 at the same table, so we were split until we realized that a little negotiation was all that was needed. Again, since it is an all-inclusive, we did not expect the food to blow us away. Everything was edible, and there was something each person could enjoy at the restaurants. Nothing blew us away, but not a single person out of 16 (which spanned 14 days at the resort from the first couple to the last) got sick at any point. As far as the drinks are concerned, the sugary drinks by the pool are mostly light on the alcohol, but we were always served promptly and were able to get another if we were still left wanting.

ROOMS: The rooms are clean, neat, and open. The major thing that impressed us was the air conditioning. I know it seems silly, but anyone who has spent time at a beach resort can appreciate a good self-controlled A/C in the room. The reknown not-so-private bathroom did not bother us, but if you are concerned with personal space, beware there is a glass panel that gives anyone in the room a straight view to the toilet/shower. We were greeted with champagne, fruit, and their little towel decorations so they certainly did well with good first impressions. Bed is amazing.

ENDNOTES: #1 - The mosquitos are terrible, though this is not fault of the resort's. We wore 98% deet spray the entire trip and still ended up peppered. #2 - small tips go a long way here. #3 - We did the zip line adventure and had a blast. The actual zip lining crew was very well run and professional (sidenote, I have zip lined in Nicaragua which was not as well run. My husband was freaked out initially, but I assured him that I had survived under much scarier circumstances!) #4 - Be prepared for the hour-long ride to/from the resort, and pre-book through an agency. This isn't one of those airports that you can figure out transportation when you get there.

In summary, it is important to know what you want before you come here. It is a large all-inclusive which means you are going to sacrifice quality of food, privacy, and minute attention to detail. In return, you get a place where many people have gone before and only a small handful have had negative experiences. They are a chain resort, so they also have a name to protect. Given the size of our group, we wanted something reputable at a great price, and in the end everyone was satisfied.If you want something more prestigious, you'll have to pay a good deal more for it elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would like to let you know of our horrible experience at this Excellence resort. We stayed November 12 to November 18, 2012. Celebrating both of our birthdays myself turning 30 and my husband turning 35. (which this resort never recognized)

Upon arrival we noticed cigaret burn in the tub, yellow jets in the jacuzzi tub, a window into the bathroom shower that allows the person in the bed to see right to the toilet. (my husband hung towels) and wires coming out of the wall behind the headboard of the bed.

The only decent restaurants we found was Spice and one other. The lobster house we were told from everyone was horrible and we didnt even bother to try. I don't know how this resort can make pancakes taste horrible but they managed. I choose chicken from the buffet one day for lunch and was grossed out when red juice squirted out when I tryed to slice in with my knife.

Every evening my husband went around killing flies that got into our room during the day, the store sells bug and cochroach killer . The beach was not that clean, if you walk the beach when you get to the edge of excellence property the ground in forest is covered in garbage.

The beach stores on the side have great people. Locals working at making money, I would rather buy from them then pay extra to the resort. Since they sell the exactly same items. Even though they try to tell you the cigars are fake with banana leaves. Which is untrue.

We arrived Monday evening, on Tuesday morning the staff were outside our room 10001 cutting the hedges and painting the deck above out (questionable) swim out suite for two hours. We then went out to sit down after and were unable as we would get covered in ants from then after for the week.

Our swim out room was a slidding door with table and two chairs, then 8 feet of grass with steps to the walkway around the pool then another 6 feet to the pool. I also paid the extra money for the ocean view, which the suite faced the ocean however I was unable to attually view the ocean.

My husband order Grey goose for in our room on Tuesday as we had the Excellence club upgraded bar, he received the bottle on Thursday Evening. Most of the staff only speak spanish, I asked the maid service to room the sheets due to my arrival with the flu and as she shaked her head that she understood, I returned back to the room to find my bedding folded on the couch with the same sheets on it when I left.

On Wednesday and Thursday we experience power outages the longest last an hour. In which case the airconditioning wasn't working and my husband was running a fever.

On Thursday evening the fire alarm went off twice during the night. Once at midnight the next time at 2 am. It was turned off once I called concierge. When I asked the next morning what happened they had no idea.

On Friday we had Super Willy the employee invite himself to sit with us as we waited for our table at the oriental cuisine restaurant. He introduced himself to my husband twice in 10 minutes and his conversation was discussing how mean his boss is. He seemed to be under the influence of something.

On Saturday my husband had the worst of his illness. All he wanted was to sleep the day away and try to get better. But at 10 am the staff started construction on the room beside us. Drilling into the wall, moving furniture making extreme racket and we finally then approached the concierge.

I advised the concierge of the week we have experienced in this sepose 5 star resort and all he said was I will comment your file for our manager and that is all I can do. I asked about the construction and he said well you might want to stay out of your room for another hour as they continue.

On Sunday while I checked out I commented about the fact I had never heard from the manager, concierge said oh here is your receipt and thanks for staying. (The end)

I was appauled at how our concerns were treated. As this was sepose to be a five star resort, and our first time in Dominican Republic I will never return ever again.
I can not explain how disappointed I am in this resort, how disappointed I wasted my money and holiday time at this resort. Paying for the excellence club, swim out and ocean view suite, such a waste of money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Punta Cana? Share your experiences!