“Will Never Ever Go Back..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Naiboa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Naiboa to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Naiboa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #75 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Will Never Ever Go Back..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Riu Naiboa, we were there from May 14 to May 23 2013, i was not very pleased with the staff, If you ask a question you get different answers. They all try to sell you excursions, that are over 90.00 USD. They try to get you tourist cabs that will charge you an arm and a leg. They were definetly not very helpful. The room we shared with a gf of mine, we got a small bed and a double bed, "why" i dont undestand. The rooms are small first night there we saw a roch in the room. The pool sucks, they close the pool at 6pm and it opens until the next morning. There is no snack bar after 10pm, so if you get hungry,your out of luck. Entertainment sucks, the night entertainment really is boring, and the day entertainment is even worst. Punta Cana is also very very expensive, the resorts offer a variety of shops that will have you broke by the time you leave. My advice would be to leave the resort, go to a small town that is call Vavaro its very cheap there you will pay for souvenirs 75% less than you will pay at the resort. Also, the night club at the resort you have to pay for your own drinks... A beer is costing you 3 dollars USD..I thought it was an all inclusive resort????
The positive out of all this is the beach, it is beautiful. That was the only thing i really enjoyed.
The hotel is a small walk away from the beach..O yeah and the food is horrible, it is redundant...awful...I will never go back to this resort or even punta cana....

Room Tip: If you are going to book make sure you book at the Palace or if your booking at the Riu Naiboa ask f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1,774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We returned from two weeks at the Naiboa on the 11th May. I can safely say we will never ever be going back. The staff speak little to no English, the food is dreadful and I mean dreadful 1 veggie option which was the same every lunch and dinner for all 15 nights we where there. The food was so poor we took our bands off and went for lunch at the Bamboo several times to a welcome change. Even if your a meat eater it's the same food every single meal on repeat every day, even the "theme" nights are the same every week.
This resort may be sold as small and peaceful but be warned there is nothing peaceful about the music by the poor is constant all day non stop and at full volume, and it's the same music everyday with a god awful selection ranging from the crazy frog to the vengaboys, there are trollies going up and down the hall ways all night long and people checking in at all hours and with paper thin walls we got very little sleep!
You can't access any of the pools, restaurants or bars in any of the other Riu resorts on the complex which is not what we were sold. We couldn't even have a drink in the bamboo in the evening with getting kicked out, and sent back to the Naiboa, to then suffer the terrible entertainment my 18 month old can dance and sing better than the entertainment staff. It also goes on till 12am at full blast and if you have children there is no way on this earth they could sleep through it.
To top it off our rep never showed up meaning we where never given info on the excursions or any transport and trying to get a full sentence out of the hotel staff in English was like getting blood from a stone!
The rooms are tiny, no bath, disgusting fridge really dirty, no food past 10ish, no room service at all, cleaners that just walk to clean your room and 10 to 10 at night and a mini bar that consisted of one bottle of sofa water, two bottles of Pepsi and two 500ml cans of local beer!
All in all if you like a pretty terrible version of Butlins this is for you but less family friendly!

• Stayed April 2013
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was just in The Riu Naiboa the reception staff Cesar,Pascual, Bautista were very helpful and informative. The bar staff on the pool and the show area were all excellent they were always happy, joking and ready to discuss baseball all day. I have stayed at most of the properties in Puerto Plata and Cofresi mostly bad experiences.The employees at the POP area resorts had attitudes were busy talking to each other and were rude. I am glad I went to the Naiboa I was ready to stop visiting The DR. The animation staff was the best I have seen they were constantly making us laugh and playing the silly games but also left you alone when you said not this time. There are so many great employees from the directors who greeted us every day several times a day and asked if everything was ok and if we needed anything. I cant remember all of them but eddy and chocolate from animation, Pablo and his brother Rafael at the pool and towel area kept things really clean. I had a great time with all of the bar staff Bautista,Gregorio, Carlos and Nelson most are red sox fans we had a good time discussing the yankees dominance over the sox. The restaurant has lots of attentive staff especially Juan Jose and Ricardo they were excellent every day.We made sure we sat in their area for all our meals. The food was great everyday the grounds were perfectly maintained. I look forward to returning the neighboring Riu hotels they look amazing also but i will return to the Naiboa I like the staff there. The DJ at the disco Pacha is the weak link on the mostly excellent Naiboa staff his poor mixing ability and carefree attitude was unexpected. He played mostly techno music and disregarded request for Salsa,merengue,bachata music he was constantly walking away from the Dj booth for 20-30 min and would leave the techno prerecorded music on. I would suggest to the Riu hotels to make smoking sections Smokers don't give a S@%^&* about anyone or anywhere they light up.

Room Tip: ask for pool side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Me and my boyfriend planned a weekend getaway at the Riu Naiboa. After staying at Riu palace las Americas in Cancun I did not expect this resort to be like this. The staff barely spoke or understood English. The food was hit or miss most of the time a miss. The liquor was no name and 6 drinks gave me no buzz at all. No room service. The rooms are terribly small. No bath tub just a small bathroom with a toilet, sink, and shower. No wash clothes. No Iron. The refrigerator was old and dingy looking. The double room had a double size bed and a twin bed. The mini bar was not fully stocked. Ther is one resturant other than the buffet but the reservation is first come first serve and it only has 20 tables. All the staff tell u different info. They are not knowledgable nor do they understand you. I'm will NEVER Recommend or Stay there again. My first time in Punta Cana and this Hotel made me dislike Punta Cana....it is true that "you get what you pay for". The Riu Naiboa is the worse not worth the trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Rossendale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have nothing negative to say about my stay at this hotel The place was clean and air-conditioned, the staff helpful, my daughter & I were treated like royalty ( especially by Santos and the other dining room staff) We thought the food was superb, with lots of variety. The entertainment staff worked really hard to help make our stay memorable . We went on two trips out one was brilliant (Outback Safari up into the interior of D/Rep visiting a school and a typical lunch calling at a beautiful unspoiled beach on the way back. Our guide Leandro and our driver Caeser looked after us all really well and are obviously very proud of their Heritage. The other trip to the Capital was not my cup of tea because it was in the main a shopping trip and I can shop at home, but our guide ( "Obama's brother" !!!) was friendly and again very patriotic The only down side to our trip was after an 8 hour flight from the UK another two hours plus to get into the country (I have been told this is normally about an hour). A lot of people were not prepared for the wait in the very hot sun My advise take light clothing, a hat, sun cream. and WATER in your hand luggage. In spite of this I would certainly go again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Naiboa, in Punta Cana, Aprl 21-28, 2013
There are 5 Riu resorts in the area including the Naiboa which is located in the back and it's about 5-10 minute walk to the beach with little shops along the way. The Naiboa is a small resort with one building, one pool and actually one restaurant, the Cohiba, that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The other bar/restautant is located by the beach and serves drinks,continental breakfast and lunch from 12-5.
There is as speciaty restaurant on premises the Italiano that you neeed to make reservations for the day of, at the Cohiba restaraunt with the manager. Don't bother with this restaurant, I ordered salmon on a bed of spinach, I was served some kind of fish on a bed of cabbage, but I let it go..
You could make reservations for Mama Juana at the Bambu, the foood was much better, I ordered salon again and they actually served salmon.
The room we stayed was overlooking the pool, it's on the 1st floor, we had to complain to get this room, when we first checked in they gave us a room at the end of the building and much higher, because on the ground floor it's the reception and restaraunt and another bar.
If you like small resorts do stay at the Naiboa, the food was good, there is something for every taste.
The beach was beautiful, but then again all the beaches are nice in DR, Macao beach is also very nice but you have to go there on your own.

Room Tip: Get a room in the middle of the building to get a view of the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Negative
-No food available 10p-6am
-no wash cloths
-No iron board available
-$20 deposit to borrow iron for 1 hour
-Food is very basic, a step above hot dogs & Hamburgers
-Food is not good
-rooms are basic, older TV with no remote

Positives
-Free 90 min wifi
-Very nice ambiance, good activities.
-great bartenders
-great beach

I stayed one night then paid upgrade to Riu PuntCana Pallace,which is next door. Well worth it, like night & day. The biggest disappointment here was the food. It's really bad.
I'd recommend this place for a 20 year old on a budget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Riu Naiboa? Share your experiences!