“You won't regret it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Naiboa

You added Hotel Riu Naiboa to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Naiboa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #76 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
A TripAdvisor Member
“You won't regret it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2003

Wow, what a holiday. Of course after reading some of the reviews, I was a bit worried but I shouldn't have been. This resort was excellent, I can't say enough good things about it.

The holiday didn't start off with a bang as I was moved to the Taino for one night. It was kind of a pain but it also allowed me to check out another resort, even if just for 24 hours. The room I stayed in here was nicer than the Naiboa though I don't like the bungalow idea, the rooms were too spread out and hard to find in the dark after a drink or too. The pool was okay, nothing compared to the Naiboa pool for shade, size or activities. I should know, I tried every pool in the complex.

The next day I was driven by cab back to the Naiboa where I found out my room wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready for an hour or two. No problem, I had my bathing suit on and I swam and ate until it was.

The room was fine, on the ground floor. It was clean and the maid always made sure my fridge was stocked and I had plenty of towels.

I can't say enough about the food at this resort. There was a lot of it and I found plenty to eat each and every night. Chicken, beef, pork, seafood, soups, pasta it was perfect. The service couldn't have been better.

I liked the idea of being able to go to any resort but the Palace for food, drinks or entertainment. After dinner, I would enjoy bingo at the Naiboa, head down to the Taino beach restaurant for coffee, check out the show on the outdoor stage at the Bambu or do a little shopping on Carribean Street. The choices were endless and fun.

I also took a trip down to both flea markets on the beach. Bartering is actually quite fun, though it takes a while to actually buy anything.
Definitely don't be intimidated, they aren't really all that aggressive and you can get some really good deals on just about anything.

During the day, I generally used the Naiboa pool as home base. The ocean was quite rough during my stay and there isn't a lot of shade on the beach. The Naiboa pool is shady, has a fun group of animation staff and the restaurant was first rate. The Dominican Feista one day at lunch was great, lots of dancing, drinking and eating. A note about the drinks, try the lumumba (chocolate shake and brandy), a cuba libre or the mango daquiri. Delicious!

Also prepare yourself for the party on Carribean Street Thursday night.
Dancing, shopping, drinking, just a huge party which is lots of fun.
All the staff from each hotel gather and put on their own shows.

All and all, this was a great resort and I can't wait to go back.
Anyone with questions can feel free to email me. I'm definitely heading back next year.

• Stayed September 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2003

My wife and I (43 and 49 respectively) stayed at the Rui Naiboa for the first 2 weeks of March 2003. We have travelled in the past to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Veradero, Cuba, and this was definately one of out top trips based on food quality, staff friendliness, beach and water quality, drinks were adequate, to say the least. We would definately go back to the Rui chain in the Dominican in a heartbeat. Rooms were clean and secure, pools were the same. The Mediterranean and Steakhouse restaurants offered a nice change from the buffet, which in itself offered a good variety and good quality. Some seafood (mussels and shrimp) we also on the menu but probably not as much as a 5 star would have. All in all, a wonderful holiday and we would definately go again!! Great job, Rui Naiboa!! Muchas gracias!!

• Stayed March 2003
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2003

Just to let you know I am 45 and my boyfriend is 40 we love to travel and have been to quite a few places.

Now to the review:

I loved it, just loved it!! The food was very good, the beach was beautiful, the people were the friendliest of anyplace I have been, the pool was very large and not over populated with people. The bar was very large and had couches along with tables and chairs for seating.

The flight was great but the only issue we have is that Apple changed our flight from a non-stop to stopping in Pittsburgh so it took us about 5 hrs to get there. But that is typical for Apple, they have the market pretty cornered so they can do about anything they want and the customer is stuck.

When we arrived at the hotel we were given a very very small room. We went back to the desk and told them we wanted two beds as thats what we paid for. They kept saying "you need to beds" and we kept saying that we did. In about 5 minutes we were given a room with 2 beds which was much bigger and more of what we were expecting. The rooms are fine, nothing fancy but really just fine. We asked for a suite but they said they didnt have any. The next day my boyfriend gave them $10 and was given a suite. The issue with the suites is the air conditioning does not work well. The room is very large but it is slightly warm. The suite does not (like the other rooms) have a ceiling fan but they give you a stand up fan. I guess its a trade off so if you want a bigger room try to get the suite. I myself would rather have the second room we were given.

We went with another couple who arrived on Friday before us (we stayed mon to mon). They were staying at the Taino and they got bumped to the palace. We enjoyed visiting the other hotels. The only one I didnt like was the palace as the pool was small and it was extrememly warm over there. The rooms were nicer and the buffet had a little more but I would never have paid what it costs to stay there. The naiboa and the palace are directly across the street from eachother and the temp was very different from that hotel to ours. We didnt feel really that any of the other hotels exept for the bambu were that much different than the naiboa and didnt think it would be worth paying the difference to stay at. The naiboa is more intimate and the beash is just a few minutes away. I would though stay by the bambu section of the beach as they had a really nice bar-b-que lunch there on friday and it was a lot of fun. We tried the other hotels for breakfast but really likes our hotel the best. We did however eat lunch at the bambu and the taino onsite restaurants and were very impressed with them especially the bambu. The place was lovely.

The pizza place and another restaurant sit directly across from eachother at the end of caribbean street. Caribbean street is the street that takes you to the beach and it has a lot of little shops to browse in. Anyway both of those restaurants have basically the exact same thing for lunch. pizza, chicken, hamburgers, lunch meat, salads.
But the restaurants that are in the hotels have much nicer food. You must have a shirt on to enter those so if you are on the beach and want to go inside make sure you bring a t-shirt with you to throw on.

We didnt go on any trips this time which is not the norm for us.
However we were so relaxed and enjoyed the hotel so much that we really didnt feel a need to leave.

Anyway we are looking to see if the prices our even cheaper at Christmas as we would like to go back. We paid for the month of July $689 and we have seen it for less in other months.

The people there are mostly europeans there who were very friendly.
Most that we met spoke english. And yes most women (including myself) were topless on the beach (not as many at the pool).

And if you are going dont miss the party on Thursday at Caribbean street. It was very fun. Music and dancing and costumes and drinks right on the street. What a blast!

Anway to finalize, we would go back in a hearbeat!!! I hope you trip is as nice as ours was!!

Been to Hotel Riu Naiboa? Share your experiences!